carat
color
clarity

GIA J colour diamond in platinum comparison with colourless

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: GIA J colour diamond in platinum comparison with colourl

I wonder too how much this is changeable as we may love something for a year or two and then move onto another completely opposite taste because fashions change or we change. Diamonds mean nothing to some people much as we can't imagine here :wall:

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

What are the other reasons a D costs more besides rarity, I know about clarity, cut etc, but is there something else we wouldn't know not being in the trade? Do you mean like a 3 carat D is not as expensive say as a 15 carat M or is it like graining, transparency or something other I have never heard of, just interested to know more. Thirst of knowledge.

Just realised what you wrote too, ofcourse there won't be so many M color diamonds cut to AGS 000 cut standards, or maybe that will change with people wanted lower color diamonds also believe the AVR is AGS 000 so that makes it rare too independent of color, clarity, carat weight.

Ha ha, regarding rarity, I think I also have an INDIVIDUAL taste for rarity caused by the planet e.g. color, clarity and carat weight separately from cut and maybe because this is what was drummed into us for years about diamonds before cut and the internet education. Still think though although I love AGS 000 I have a separate thing for something man has not done, although I know I have read others praising it the other way around that what man has done is more important as it has unlocked the beauty in the sparkle of diamonds. Maybe I would just like a D color high clarity rough diamond which has been polished on two sides.

In colored gemstone, e.g. sapphire I would prefer a natural unheated untreated but it would need to have top color, in my dreams. Same with ruby. It is really weird thinking about it as natural and affected by human as two separate things but as both just as important in different ways. I mean to get the sapphire in the color I want it would need to be treated due to rarity and price no doubt and to get an even larger one would be more rare and expensive. So colorless diamonds are in a way mimicking the rare colors in gemstones, which raises the price and even if one could be found or afforded the clarity may be way low so it is just a chance to find a stone with all three or even cut which is more rare due to keeping color in a gemstone and then need to be a millionaire too or close to one. ha ha. Think I need a cheaper hobby.

Rockdiamond|1420596993|3812784 said:
Hi Pyramid,
About rarity, and how it affects price:
It's really only one aspect of why a D costs so much more than an M.
In fact, there's probably more AGS0 D color 3 carat diamonds, as compared to M colored AGS0

So it's not only rarity that drives the price.
Lucky people that love lower colors for their own intrinsic beauty.
And aside from older cuts, really nice ones can also be very rare.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Hi Pyramid,
Its a pleasure to discuss this stuff!
Clarity, while separate from color in evaluating diamonds, has an interesting relationship with color when it comes to evaluation.
In the higher colors there's a sharper difference in price between the clarity grades.
In other words....using made up numbers
DVVS1=$10
D/SI1= $5

M/VVS1 $3
M/SI1 $2.50 ( or maybe even $3 if it's a special stone)

Then going down to Fancy Colors- Clarity can sometimes play surprisingly little role.
A Fancy Vivid Yellow SI2 with stunning color is worth more than a Fancy Vivid Yellow VVS1 with un-remarkable color.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes it is really interesting. I have never looked much at color diamonds because I know the pink ones are what I like and how expensive they are. I have read though the colored stone forum a few times and see how difficult it is to find a color and how different people want different in a sapphire color, I had never thought of diamonds meaning white diamonds like this, because it is sort of drummed into us by letters, e.g. D, G, rather than blue with a hint of purple or blue with green or more royal blue etc. So I suppose I have looked at white diamonds as separate from color stones in that I was thinking of the color grades in isolation away from the combination of all other things. Maybe because we are told not to worry about clarity if you can't see it with the naked eye and in the past we were not educated on cut and carat weight was just what you got depending on amount spent. If you have the money a colorless diamond is easier to find than a rare color with a certain tone and hue in a gemstone. Color diamonds will be the same which is why they are so expensive too. Then it is a combination of everything, with the other 3 Cs.

Another thing I never appreciated with gemstones until I came to pricescope and especially it was Chrono's posts as she kept speaking about saturation in gemstones. I never really noticed this when just looking in jewellers and looking for stones I liked the look of, even when they were just semi-precious stones or poor dark sapphires but they were never really that ideal bright solid looking color they should have been, I mean most people don't realise what a good stone looks like, but then as diamonds and gemstones are a luxury, lots of people sadly never get to know about them unless it is their hobby. Some people don't look at things if they cannot get them whereas others do, some stones don't have to be top grade color sapphires and yet are still beautiful. Maybe the industry are right in only keeping the knowledge (in the past before internet) to themselves or to their rich customers and otherwise people may never buy the stones in the normal local jeweller. Funny thing is I remember looking at fake rings in a shop one time, not a jeweller just a fancy goods local shop and thinking as they were huge and they were plastic or glass that they looked too perfect and no one would believe they were real and this took away my enjoyment of them, meaning I did not see them as pretty. Now when I think about them though they looked to my amateur eyes too perfect red ruby or blue sapphire because they were imitating the thousands of pounds ones which were the real gems and not the poor quality dark navy sapphires and pink rubies I was seeing that I thought were the real deal because I thought large perfect rubies like that were for film stars which they were but never considered having a better stone in say a 15 point size with that red color, maybe they were not available, I suppose they would be used as accents to the big expensive stones and would cost a lot in themselves compare to the pink rubies/sapphires which were not even transparent I was seeing.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes I had noticed this when looking a prices and even in local stores and especially when searching the prices on pricescope and looking at stones from different vendors here, that clarity seemed more expensive than color but a lot more when combined with a better color. In the fancy colors, color is everything meaning fancy color is more a rarity thing, also a rarity thing you CAN see, to most people as opposed to white diamonds. It is a pity in a way, because if pink diamonds in lower prices looked more pink rather than just a hint of pink, sort of like the colorless diamonds only some people will see it really, then color diamonds may be more popular although I am sure they are with those who can afford them. There seems to be plenty of yellows but pinks and other colors really are more rare. Love Kenny's green diamond, just a pity all Kenny's great color diamonds weren't at least a carat size, but there again would cost more. Just is great I think that Kenny has them when combined with his photography skills because they would just be wasted on me other than I would love the colors of them but I wouldn't be able to show them off, think Kenny needs to make posters with them, really the color of them are so beautiful they look like unreal, he must spend ages picking each one or looking for each one for years before it becomes available. People keep asking him when he is going to set them but they just look great as they are.

Rockdiamond|1420600294|3812815 said:
Hi Pyramid,
Its a pleasure to discuss this stuff!
Clarity, while separate from color in evaluating diamonds, has an interesting relationship with color when it comes to evaluation.
In the higher colors there's a sharper difference in price between the clarity grades.
In other words....using made up numbers
DVVS1=$10
D/SI1= $5

M/VVS1 $3
M/SI1 $2.50 ( or maybe even $3 if it's a special stone)

Then going down to Fancy Colors- Clarity can sometimes play surprisingly little role.
A Fancy Vivid Yellow SI2 with stunning color is worth more than a Fancy Vivid Yellow VVS1 with un-remarkable color.

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks for the comparison. I can see a color difference between my G and a CZ but it doesn't bother me enough to pay thousands more to get it to look like a cz :) I have a round now and I had a princess before. I can honestly say that my H princess was equally as white as my SIL F when we had them next to each other but what you could see more was the size difference! She seemed a little shocked herself. You love a ring because it's special to you, not really for a color or a clarity grade so we each loved our rings like our own little pets.

Especially in small towns like mine, you only see the lower colored diamonds in the stores around here so you really have nothing to compare them to. I don't think I could go down to J just for resale value but they are an excellent value for someone who wants a bigger size diamond(and most people, I say most...can not really tell because you aren't wearing the J next to a colorless diamond on the same hand!) I'm not really sure why some posters take this so personally. I absolutely got your intention in your original post and it's nice that you used pictures that you can see the tint(especially to diamond board connoisseurs ).

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

makemepretty|1420632867|3812919 said:
Thanks for the comparison. I can see a color difference between my G and a CZ but it doesn't bother me enough to pay thousands more to get it to look like a cz :) I have a round now and I had a princess before. I can honestly say that my H princess was equally as white as my SIL F when we had them next to each other but what you could see more was the size difference! She seemed a little shocked herself. You love a ring because it's special to you, not really for a color or a clarity grade so we each loved our rings like our own little pets.

Especially in small towns like mine, you only see the lower colored diamonds in the stores around here so you really have nothing to compare them to. I don't think I could go down to J just for resale value but they are an excellent value for someone who wants a bigger size diamond(and most people, I say most...can not really tell because you aren't wearing the J next to a colorless diamond on the same hand!) I'm not really sure why some posters take this so personally. I absolutely got your intention in your original post and it's nice that you used pictures that you can see the tint(especially to diamond board connoisseurs ).

The reason posters take it personally is because the difference is between a F VVS1 2.00 carat at $62,000 which whiteflash had but has sold now and a M VVS1 2.00 old cut for $13,000 usually and people are saying they cannot tell the difference and it is the same product basically. Color is NOT graded face up, so you won't see the difference, even Paul Sleggers has said people cannot tell the difference face up, other gemmologists have pointed out that color is graded face down. Color is a rarity factor. However as the colors get lower they can be see face up. Can't remember if Paul said a G-J were the same or something like that, but a G to K will definitely be noticed.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results