shape
carat
color
clarity

Who's our expert on finishes?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My SO's parents are remodeling their kitchen.
Ever the doting mother, she has fallen in love with these porcelain drawer knobs that her son put stencils on.
Actually, I think they are temporary tattoos.

I told him they are not exactly a permanent thing that would last, but he's hoping there is some lacquer/shellac/polyurethane/finish/clear resin or something, ANYTHING, that would protect the decals from years of daily handling by wet grubby hands in a kitchen.

Any ideas?
I included both sides of the package.
It indicates what they are made of and, importantly, what dissolves them.

Enlargement:

01_knob1.jpg

02_knob2.png

03_knob3.png

screen_shot_2015-01-05_at_4.png

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mod Podge maybe?

clear non yellowing varnish?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1420504402|3812302 said:
Mod Podge maybe?

clear non yellowing varnish?

I was totally going to say Mod Podge.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great minds think alike, Monnie...and so do ours!

Mod Podge for the win!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks. :dance:

But, do you know whether Mod Podge would dissolve something that is dissolved by simple common things like Baby Oil and Rubbing Alcohol as indicated on the package for the temporary tattoos?

And will it stand up to daily rough use in the kitchen of a busy family?
Some finishes are only adequate for something decorative that's just put up on a wall and not handled.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know you can mod podge over photos and it doesn't hurt them. I've seen people mod podge things onto furniture, like the tops of dressers. Will look around a little and see about knobs.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
this is one description I found on an ordering page:
Mod Podge 8-oz. Hard Coat decoupage medium is an all-in-one product that works as glue, a sealer, and a finish. Used as glue, Mod Podge permanently adheres paper and other materials to nearly any surface. As a sealer, it forms a protective barrier on decoupage projects and on painted and stained finishes. Mod Podge provides a durable, long-lasting finish on completed projects. This extra-strong formula is ideal for use on functional items that will receive extra handling and wear, such as furniture, tabletops, bookshelves and more.
•Suitable for a wide variety of surfaces - wood, glass, ceramic, metal and more
•Non-toxic, water-based formula for easy cleanup
•The smooth, satin finish protects and preserves
•Creates a permanent, ultra-durable, waterproof bond when dry

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you.
I'm passing on your advice ... for which I'm grateful.

I'l tell him to try it on one before spending any more time putting temporary tattoos on porcelain and expecting it to stand up to daily, hard, wet use.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
You betcha! Never hurts to try, right?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder if it would be worthwhile going to a good hardware store showing pics and asking because it might well be you need more than one sealer on them, so the one people above have recommended + some type of clear commercial varnish over the top of that. The reason I am thinking this is kitchens have expose to natural chemicals that can eat some types of sealers so acid in lemons, even some oils and things like that (hot oil, even some cool oils) all can do damage so you probably need to ask an expert what is going to be resistant to these types of things.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
http://sculpt.com/

The Compleat Sculptor
" You supply the talent, we'll supply the rest!" Since 1995
Casting Product Index & Mold Making Compound Index & Mold Making or Casting Accessories

Epoxy Putty

Magic-Sculpt
Free Form

Coating Epoxy Compounds

Envirotex
EX-88

EX-74
Magic-Smooth

Epoxy rigid casting compounds are two-part mixtures which cure to an extremely durable and resilient finished product. Varying the mix ratios and catalysts can produce different hardnesses and colors. These materials can be mixed with aggregates, metal powders or pigments for different finishes. They are highly noxious and should be used in well ventilated areas. Please note these materials require a base and a curative. Select from the guide below.

Pourable Epoxy Casting Compounds
EasyCast
EasyCast is a reactive clear casting epoxy. It's solvent free and low odor. It can easily be colored, tinted or combined with fillers to create faux granite or metallic castings. These characteristics make it ideal for casting and embedding up to 6 ounces (maximum) per pour. Due to heat build up and discoloration, do not attempt to cast more than 6 ounces at one time. For larger casts, use Castin'Craft Polyester Casting Resin.
Color

Mix Ratio

Pot Life

Cure Time

Made by:
ETI
Clear

1A : 1B

40 min

24-72 hours
Order #

Size

Weight

Price

Buy me

8 oz

.5 lb

$11.99

16 oz

1 lb

$18.99

32 oz

2 lb

$31.99

1 gal

8 lb

$92.99

Coating Epoxy Compounds
EpoxAmite® 100 Base and 101 FAST Hardener

EpoxAmite® 100 Epoxy Laminating System is an easy-to-use liquid epoxy system formulated for a wide variety of fabrication applications. EpoxAmite® 100 Laminating System is unfilled, low in viscosity, odorless and cures at room temperature. Cured epoxy displays exceptional physical and performance properties. It can be sanded, shaped, machined, drilled, tapped and painted.

EpoxAmite® 100 Laminating System can be used with reinforcements such as S-Glass, E-Glass, Kevlar and Carbon fibers for lay-up applications or composite parts. EpoxAmite® 100 Resin can also be mixed with fillers such as fumed silica for gel coat applications.

Urefil® 3 and other fillers can be added for fairing, filleting or bonding applications. Click here for Fiberglass...
Color - Mixed

Mix Ratio

Pot Life

Thin Film - Working Time

Cure Time

Made by:
Clear Yellow

4A : 1B by volume
100A : 24B by weight

11 mins.

30 mins.

6-8 hrs.
Order #

Size

Price

Buy me
66E101A

Trial Size

$26.99

66E101B

1 Gallon

$82.99

EpoxAmite® Dispensing Pump

PRODUCT OVERVIEW - EpoxAmite® pumps are calibrated to deliver the correct amount of Part A resin and Part B hardener with a single push.

One Push ‘A' + One Push ‘B' = Correct Amount of Product to Mix.

No need to weigh components using a gram scale or measure by volume using graduated cups. Pumps are identified by label on pump head.

Note: These pumps are for EpoxAmite® laminating resins ONLY.
Order #

Size

Price

Buy me
66E100HP

For Trial & Gallon Size

$19.99

Below are the Polytek Casting Epoxies...

Polypoxy/Poly Cure liquid plastics are excellent for casting small decorative objects, prototypes, duplicate masters and for decoupage coating and glass bonding as well as for making vacuum- and thermo-forming tools & molds. Polypoxy resins can be cured with various Poly Cure hardeners to suit a variety of applications.

Polypoxy 1010 is a clear resin and can be used with Poly Cure 1212 for bonded bronze and with Poly Cure 1220 for decoupage coating and for other castings where a nearly colorless, clear, moisture-insensitive, high hardness resin is required.

Polypoxy 1030 is an aluminum-filled resin and can be machined, drilled and burnished to a pewter finish and is often used for vacuum- and thermo-forming applications.

Features:
Not moisture sensitive like polyurethane resins
Versatile epoxies – accepts fillers easily
High hardness – temperature resistant
Pour or layup

Polypoxy 1010 Resin
Polypoxy Resins and Poly Cure Hardeners are liquid epoxy systems that, after mixing in proper ratio, cure at room temperature to high-strength plastics. Polypoxy 1010 resin can be cured with various curatives enabling users to select the best system for their application. Polypoxy 1010 can be mixed with Poly Cure 1212 to create thin castings (up to 0.5 in.) or can be mixed with Poly Cure 1220 to create small clear castings or for glass bonding or decoupage coating.
Color

Pot Life

Cure Time

Made by:
Clear

25-30 min

Variable
Order #

Size

Weight

Price

Buy me

1 quart

2lbs.

$37.99

1 gallon

8lbs.

$82.99

Polypoxy 1030 Resin
Polypoxy Resins and Poly Cure Hardeners are liquid epoxy systems that, after mixing in proper ratio, cure at room temperature to high-strength plastics. Polypoxy 1030 is an aluminum-filled resin that can be cured with various curatives enabling users to select the best system for their application. Polypoxy 1030 can be mixed with Poly Cure 1212 to create thin pewter-looking castings (up to 3 in.) or can be mixed with Poly Cure 1230 to create larger castings for thermoforming and vacuum forming applications.
Color

Pot Life

Cure Time

Made by:
Clear

30-120 min

Variable
Order #

Size

Weight

Price

Buy me

1 quart

3lbs.

$45.99

1 gallon

9lbs.

$126.99

Poly Cure 1212
Polycure 1212 (with Polypoxy 1010 or Polypoxy 1030) For small castings (such as Bonded Bronze) or for use with fiberglass or fillers for lay-up and mother molds. Bonded Bronze castings can be made with a ratio of 15/100 with the 1010. At this ratio the maximum casting thickness is .5 inches. If the resin is mixed for lay-up casting, the ratio is 6\100 with 1030. It can then be used up to three inches and the color comes out gray.
Shore D

Color

Mix Ratio

Pot Life

Viscosity

Made by:

Yellow or grey

6/15 to 100 by wt

25 min

3000 cps
Order #

Size

Weight

Price

Buy me

4oz.

4oz.

$13.99

1 quart

2lbs.

$37.50

Poly Cure 1220
Polypoxy Resins and Poly Cure Hardeners are liquid epoxy systems that, after mixing in proper ratio, cure at room temperature to high-strength plastics. Resins can be cured with various curatives enabling users to select the best system for their application. Poly Cure 1220 can be mixed with Polypoxy 1010 1:1 by volume to create thin castings (up to 1.5 in.) or for decoupage and glass bonding applications.
Shore D

Color

Mix Ratio

Pot Life

Viscosity

Made by:

Yellow clear

1 to 1 by vol

30 min

3000 cps
Order #

Size

Weight

Price

Buy me

1 quart

2 lbs.

$29.99

1 gallon

8 lbs.

$91.99

Poly Cure 1230
Polypoxy Resins and Poly Cure Hardeners are liquid epoxy systems that, after mixing in proper ratio, cure at room temperature to high-strength plastics. Resins can be cured with various curatives enabling users to select the best system for their application. Poly Cure 1230 can be mixed with Polypoxy 1030 to create larger aluminum-filled epoxy castings (up to 8 in.) for vacuum forming and thermoforming applications. The aluminum filler also allows beautiful pewter-looking castings to be created as masters, prototypes or decorative reproductions.
Shore D

Color

Mix Ratio

Pot Life

Viscosity

Made by:

Grey

15 to 100 by wt

120 min

5000 cps
Order #

Size

Weight

Price

Buy me

1 quart

2 lbs.

$29.99

1 gallon

8 lbs.

$91.99

Casting Product Index & Mold Making Compound Index & Mold Making or Casting Accessories

Sealants

Krylon Clear Spray
Order #

Finish

Price

Buy me

Matte

$8.99

Satin

$8.99

Gloss

$8.99

Krylon Rust-Free Primer
Order #

Size

Price

Buy me

Spray

$6.99

Bullseye Clear Shellac
Order #

Size

Price

Buy me

Spray

$14.99

Pint

$17.99

Quart

$27.99

Gallon

$77.99

SuperSeal™ was developed as an economical, fast-drying sealing agent for a variety of surfaces including modeling clays, gypsum plasters, concrete and wood.
Order #

Size

Price

Buy me

Pint

$24.99

Gallon

$47.99

5 Gallon

$189.99

Amber Shellac - Do not use for molding applications. Many mold rubbers are inhibited by this sealant.
Order #

Size

Price

Buy me

Pint

$15.99

Quart

$28.99

Gallon

$40.99

Release Agent Selector Guide for Creating a Mold:
Selecting the right release agent is the first step in taking control of your moldmaking or casting process. Ease Release� products allow the user to address specific processing requirements and master the outcome. This guide will assist in matching the right Ease Release� product for your application.
Original

Molding Compound

Release Type

Suggestions
Clay, Metal, Plastic

Urethane Rubber

Silicone

UMR, 2251, 2300, 2601, 2910
Clay, Metal, Plastic

RTV Silicone

Wax/Teflon

500, 2310, 2831
Clay, Metal, Plastic

Urethane/Epoxy Plastic

Mixture

Plaster

Urethane Rubber

Wax/Soap

2310, 2831
Plaster

RTV Silicone

Wax

Sonite Seal, 2831
RTV Silicone

RTV Silicone

Non-Silicone

Plastilina, Plaster

Polysulfide Rubber

Wax

Sonite Seal, 2831, PVA
Concrete

Urethane Rubber

Oil/Soap

In & Out
Aqua-resin

Silicone Rubber

None

(just use Kiril-B)
Aqua-resin

Alginate

SEPR-8

SEPR-8
Aqua-resin

Latex Rubber

Parfilm, PVA

Polyester Parfilm, PVA

Resins Surface Finish
Product
Polyurethane

Epoxy

Polyester

Polyurethane Foam

Silicone RTV

Gloss

Shiny

Satin

Flat
Ease Release 200 O
Ease Release 400
Ease Release 500 O O O O
Ease Release 800
Ease Release 2310
Ease Release 2910 O
Permalease 650
Recommended starting release May be used

Addressing Surface Finish and Post Production:
PRODUCT

SURFACE FINISH

PAINTABILITY
Ease Release 2910

Glossy

No Paint
Ease Release 2831

Flat to Dull

Paintable
Ease Release 300

Shiny

Cleanable
Ease Release 200

Shiny

Cleanable

iLander

Ideal_Rock
kenny said:
Thank you.
I'm passing on your advice ... for which I'm grateful.

I'l tell him to try it on one before spending any more time putting temporary tattoos on porcelain and expecting it to stand up to daily, hard, wet use.

Yeah . . . I don't think this is gonna work over the long term. We have nickel finish, brushed finish metal knobs in our kitchen, and after 12 years THAT is looking funky. The finish is starting to patina on our most-used drawers.

I would suggest embedding the images in a clear resin knob of their own making. Here is a kit, that includes knobs, a place to put your picture, and a resin thingy to seal it in with. I'm sure there are variations all over the net, for various sizes, shapes, etc. I found this by googling DIY cabinet knobs.

http://thecraftystore.storenvy.com/products/1017928-diy-set-of-eight-drawer-pulls-cabinet-knobs-complete-with-resin-inserts-an

il_191.jpg

il_192.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results