shape
carat
color
clarity

antique engagement ring of unknown age or cut

nguyenklt

Rough_Rock
Can anyone help with determining the age and cut of this engagement ring? It was a great grandmothers so perhaps around 1900-1920 design and cut. Perhaps older? Thanks in advance. These are the only photos I have. :???:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's lovely! It looks like a very classic Art Deco design: I'd say 1920 is probably an accurate guess. I wouldn't put it earlier than that because those squared-off heads are very distinctive. Does it have any hallmarks? Those can help to date a piece and sometimes to give you a sense of where a piece was made.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Same question, does it have any stamps or writing on the inside of the shank that might help identify it?

nguyenklt

Rough_Rock
It's actually in a safe right now across the country. I will definitely look when I get to see it around christmas. Thanks so much for your help! Will get it appraised and decide whether to keep it and use it as an engagement ring or get a new one entirely.

nguyenklt

Rough_Rock
I hope its an old european cut. According to the knowledge portion of price scope that means there will be more FIRE which I love about diamonds. So excited!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's hard to tell from the photographs because they're off-center with a lot of flash, but judging from what I can see of the pavilion facets in the first image, I would guess it might be a transitional cut, which would be not unusual for that period. They can be beautiful stones ... we'll look forward to seeing more pictures!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the setting too! :love:

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful ring

nguyenklt

Rough_Rock
untitled_28.png

Got the ring appraised!

It is circa 1900 old european cut .94 C center stone with .25 carat 18 single cuts surrounding it. looks like art deco style in platinum 90 iridium 10.

So the ring is size 8 and need to get it resized to a 5 scant in the Houston area. Does anyone know of a good jeweler in League City - Clear Lake- Houston area? I don't want to mess up a 100 year old family heirloom. Perfect Circle said they would try their best to replace it if something happens during the resizing process, but I'd rather not take any chances.

I am thinking about Galaxie Jewelers based on yelp reviews or going with the jeweler that works with the appraiser Ben Gordon of Houston.

Recommendations?

We also have 3 yellow gold rings that are even older that we'd like to use as wedding bands but they also need to be resized and possibly rhodium plated to match the platinum? :( i kind of like the patina on the old engagement ring though. We would love to make new gold rings out of the old ones, but I've done research and I'm afraid of the rings cracking from unknown alloys.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results