shape
carat
color
clarity

screwback posts size...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

april diamonds

Shiny_Rock
Hi Everyone,

My boyfriend just bought me a beautiful pair of diamond stud earrings. I just got my ears pierced three months ago and the piercing place said I could switch earrings in April (just in time for my birthday) - so he bought me these as my first pair of earrings!
1.gif

But the pair he bought me has screwbacks on them and when I tried to put them in I couldn''t get them through. They were just too large and the threads irritated my holes and started to bleed a little. So sadly I haven''t been able to wear them.

I just wanted to know if this was a common problem with screwback earrings. The jewler said that the earrings can be reset to "guardian" backs or "friction" backs, but I don''t know too much about those. Any information would be SO helpful! Thanks!

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve never had any trouble with my srewbacks but then my ears have been pierced for 30 years! It may be that your skin is just too sensitive at the moment to cope with a substantial post, which these may have. The threads shouldn''t really be in contact with your skin. When I screw the backs on my earrings, the backs come right up to the end of the threaded part of the posts, so only the smooth part of the posts are in the piercing. Are you only screwing the backs part of the way on, perhaps? If the earrings are too loose, they may be rubbing the piercing and that''s what''s causing the problem. How studs sit in your ears all depends on how fleshy an earlobe you have.

If you have a particularly thin or thick earlobe, you may be better of with the fancy clutch type of clasp. I''ve heard that some of them are very secure - more so than a normal push fit.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would give your ears some time to heal as they may just be a little swollen. Their are many other kinds of backs that are just as safe. Some jewelers even prefer them as the threads on screwbacks can become bare, hope this helps!!
1.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My ears were very sensitive to screw back earrings even after wearing earrings for 20 years! For the first few weeks, I kept taking my earrings out at night and by the end of these two weeks, my ears were swollen.

I switched to just taking them out once a week for cleaning and very quickly the soreness eased up. You''re going to need very thin posts for starter earrings. . .back when I was 11 or 12 when my parents bought me my first pair of earrings, they were screw back, 14k gold, ultra thin and these were delicate enough to put on. At the very least, wear some regular earrings for a few months or switch your diamonds out to regular posts.

Momoftwo

Brilliant_Rock
It''s the size of the posts. My DH bought me sapphire earrings in Turkey years ago and I had my ears pierced for 10 years prior to that. They were too large to fit through the holes. I had the posts cut off and a pendant and ring made instead. They were cluster dark blue sapphires in 18 kt gold and I still wear them occasionally, but the posts would still be too large now. I have screw posts on one set of my diamond stud pairs and those are easy to get in. I just hate having to screw the back on, it takes extra time which I don''t have in the am. It''s definitely a diameter issue, not just that they''re screw posts.

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
When I first got my diamond studs that are screw back it my ears about a week to get use to them. I forced them in (do at your own risk!)!
32.gif
Every night I would take them out and clean my ears and earrings with witch hazel. After about a week of that the bleeding stopped and now the earrings go into my ears with little problem. Good luck.
1.gif

april diamonds

Shiny_Rock
Oh my goodness! Forced them in?! That sounds too painful.

Thanks for all your help everyone! I think I am going to get them reset into guardian posts with the smaller post diameters.

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock
April Diamonds:

Sorry to hear that you had trouble with the screw backs. I personally recommend that you put a little Neosporin on the posts before you put them on - that will help. Use the Neosporin with your other earrings too for a while, as it will help to speed up the healing process. Screwbacks are fine if you are not going to take the earrings in and out. I take my diamond studs out every evening, so I prefer a smooth post with heavy friction backs.

LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

JessesGrl

Brilliant_Rock
When i first got my screwback princess studs, I was so nervous about owning such expensive earrings ( my 1st really expensive jewelery present) that I screwed them so tight that the skin in my ears actually started growing OVER the backing...nasty!!!! Anyways, to this day I leave them in for weeks w/no prob and then all of a sudden they will get so sore and irritated that I have to take them out for awhile..and I have had my ears pierced since I was 4 ( 20 years!!!)...so give it time, do not screm em'' in too tight and clean them w/alcohal ..U should be ok

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results