shape
carat
color
clarity

New earrings

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
Got these for Christmas...dh purchased at our wonderful local jeweler...the mabe pearls are huge and such a unique color! Not sure what kind they are, so all opinions welcome. They have a MOP back on the pearl, which doesn't really photograph well...they are set in 18k gold which is also a unique color...not as yellow as yellow gold but not as rose as rose gold...kind of a soft pinky gold. They were from the estate section, so I also have no idea how old they are. The gold is very heavy as are the pearls. img_1446_1.jpg img_1443_0.jpg img_1443.jpg

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
And I should add that they are next to my Edisons for a size perspective...the Edisons are 12-15mm. He was trying to match their color so I would have earrings to coordinate...I think he did a fantastic job!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I don't hold myself out to be an estate or pearl expert, but the pearls in your new earrings look like baroque peacock Tahtians to me. How nice of DH to get them for you.

Very pretty earrings.

tina sparkle

Shiny_Rock
Your earrings are beautiful, what a great gift!

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
Those are spectacular! The 18k rg compliments the colour of the pearls so beautifully. Lovely!

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
Flygirl, you could be right on that they are a baroque pearl, as they are very high for mabe. I am far from an expert, but the thought did occur to me as well! But they are huge, about 16mm.

They are also very adaptable for color...they look great with the Edisons and pick up the pinks and lavenders in that strand. But they also have a distinctive green orient which compliments the pearls in my tahitian rope very well. Actually when put next to them, they look like tahitians, which is why I think you may be correct!

Here are some shots with the Tahitians , the first photo is with flash; the other two ambient lighting...the earrings seem lighter than the rope but in real life, they match some of the smaller cherry drops on the strand. I tried to put them close to their matches.

img_1449.jpg img_1454.jpg img_1455.jpg

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks ladies, for the compliments...dh hit this one out of the park!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I just love the color of those! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Very nice, and different too. :)

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
He also gave me this pin, which is beautiful, but I never wear pins...so I'm thinking of having a loop added so I can wear it as a pendant. The Tahitian drop is so pretty in person. The legs and pin are 18k yellow gold, and there is a .24 ct bezel set diamond. I photographed it next to my tahitian drop rope from the pp sale this summer.

img_1459_0.jpg img_1462.jpg img_1461-2.jpg

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
Those are really beautiful earrings, Pirard! I love how they are able to match both your Edisons and Tahitians.

That pin is lovely, too. Very nice presents!!

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
pirard -- I am envious! Perhaps even more of your husband than the wonderful earrings he chose for you!

I just adore the green overtoned "fancy" color of your pearl earrings!

Can you show us pictures of the back of the earrings? Some of my mabes have a beautiful, thicker mop backing and some have a thinner backing through which you can see the resin filling.

Ear shots are in order!

CRDKeshi

Shiny_Rock
Stunning new earrings, Pirard ... and such a thoughtful husband! He did a fantastic job finding those earrings, and estate 18K ... wonderful! The pin is adorable, and should make a lovely pendant; maybe at least consider using an enhancer bail, as it's substantial enough to hang on your Tahitians as an enhancer pendant, or even on a rope of small white pearls, gems etc.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
love the earrings!
what a wonderful gift from your dh but something is missing...oh, I know what it is: ear lobe shots please!

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
If they are from the estate section, they are probably salt-water mabe pearls. Since you say they have the MOP back, they are not baroque pearls.

They could be 18K rose gold; the higher gold content would cause them to tint less pink and more yellow. A lot of modern gold is flash-plated for color, so the true and proper gold alloys appear softer.

They are beautiful earrings!

I like your spider pin, too. I'd leave it as a pin; can you clip it onto a longer strand at the side, as an enhancer?

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
WOW! Now those are some earrings Pirard... Congrats. Love the pin too.

Have you seen brooch converters? They turn pins into pendants. The tube fits over the pinback and they come vertical or horizontal. Your jeweler can make 14k models that fit the whole length of the pin back, which is optimally what you want. Here are some from the secondary market place in SF.... You know where I am talking about.

broochconverter1.jpg

broochconverter2.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Here is mine in action on my antique cameo. Mine was custom made for this brooch.

_25707.jpg

_25708.jpg

_25709.jpg

cameo4.jpg

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
Wow Nacrelover, that's the perfect solution! The pin sort of sits side slant when worn and this would allow me to wear it that way on a chain as well. Thanks so much!!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love them both Pirard! Those pin to pendant converters are fab too. I've never seen anything like them, but they'd be so useful!

YC

Brilliant_Rock
Your husband has chosen very well. The color of the earrings are very lovely. The spider pin has loads of character. He has an eye for beautiful jewellery

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Lovely pearls and what a sweet husband. Wear them in good health Pirard!

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
Wow those are gorgeous earrings! I am not familiar with these pearls, but in looking at other photos, that's what they seem to most resemble.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Earrings are lovely and the pin is very cute.....a spider......but it's cute lol

Nacrelover...I've never seen that before ! How very clever and such a simple idea..can't believe it's the first time I've ever seen one! Such a useful item to know about ... thanks for posting that information !! :appl:

YC

Brilliant_Rock
Does anyone know what the mabe which icy jade posted are? Seems rather pricy imho.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
YC|1420273374|3811238 said:
Does anyone know what the mabe which icy jade posted are? Seems rather pricy imho.

This is what I've read. :tongue: If any experts or trade folks have more accurate info, pls do share!

The pearls are from Pteria penguin oysters, same family as Pteria sterna that SoC pearls are from. The pair that I posted seems to be a particularly good/nice specimen. I've seen cheaper ones with less vivid colors and/or rougher/uneven surfaces.

From what I've read, P.penguin mabe pearls are rare, but I'm not sure if it's true.

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
My pearls are really difficult to photograph with an iPhone...their luster is far better than the edison strand and seems to be equal to or better than my tahitian drop strand (which has outstanding luster). The colors are also so vivid, on a grayish black pearl background. The green creates a halo around the pearl. The pearl itself stands very tall in the setting and almost looks like a full pearl and is about 16mm (maybe even slightly larger). They really do remind me of the photos of the sea of cortez pearls and the penguin pearls, although less blue and more green.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
They could be Tahitian mabe. Even though they were in the estate section, they may not necessarily be very old. Enjoy them, and try not to make yourself crazy trying to figure them out. :angel:

Spiders are good luck. The spider is the symbol of creativity and manifestation; the dream weaver.

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks ennui! I love the spider too...he is really fun, and I have to get one of those converter bars to wear him as a pendant!

YC

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Icy Jade for the info. I have noticed this P. Penguin mabe on that site for a while and had always been surprised at the price of these mabes.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results