shape
carat
color
clarity

Going on educational / scouting mission with boyfriend

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

katrina_33

Shiny_Rock
Hello Everyone,

Per my last couple of posts, my boyfriend originally said he wanted to shop for and pick out a ring all by himself to surprise me. He now wants to go on a day about town together (we''re in Los Angeles) to 1) let me educate him about stones, and 2) get an idea of the type of settings I like. He''s not going to buy anything online, so it''s possible that he would buy from someone we visit on the scouting mission (I''m picking a handful of jewlers to meet with), but it won''t be right away. (Probably before the end of summer, but not the following day or week or anything.)

Here''s my question - I know most jewelers won''t have the kind of stones I want in stock (want 1.75 ish H SI1 ish AGS 0 stone, possibly H&A). We''re getting an idealscope, and will take it around to view stones through, just so he can get an idea of what to look for pattern wise. I know that if we were in the market to buy together right away we''d have to call the stores in advance to give them time to get the type of stones I want in, but it doesn''t seem appropriate to have a store call stones in if we''re not ready to buy immediately, right?

So, I presume we should just look at whatever they have in stock - like, a stone that is the same size, same color/clarity combo, ideal cut, etc, so my bf can get an idea of what these things look like, but not expect that we''ll get to see a stone that combines all of my perameters and is similar to what I want, right?

I''m just not sure how to prepare for the whole mission beyond making appointments for someone to show us settings. Should I tell vendors what type of stones I''m looking for just so they know, and just in case they have anything in? I''ll bring the idealscope and calibration stone, but what else should I have with me? I have to be prepared to the max!

Also, if anyone has ideas of places we should go, in the LA Jewelry district or otherwise, please let me know. What places would have a good selection of stones in stock to look at? (NO Robbins Bros though, I''m terrified of that place!)

Thanks!

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Actually, if you're going to the LAJD, may I recommend you find 4 or 5 jewelers that you want to deal with and call them a couple weeks in advance. Let them know what you're specifically looking for (with all the certs, specs, etc) and when you'll be coming to the LAJD. Set up an appointment with them and they'll be more than happy to oblige you!!

We did this when shopping for rings and weren't disappointed!! All the jewelers had what we were looking for (we gave them about 3 weeks notice) and all contacted me to confirm our appointment. When we went in, we had grade-A service from all the jewelers we set up appointments for as they knew what we were looking for...

Hope this helps!!! It's great that your BF wants you to educate him on the process!!!
34.gif
You'll have a gorgeous e-ring in the end!!
36.gif

EDIT: Also, here are a couple of places we looked at...I don't have their contact info with me at the moment, but you can search for them on the web:

Bridal Rings Co. www.bridalrings.com
Liberty Diamonds www.libertydiamonds.com (This is where we bought my diamond from!!) Their LA office is appt only.

If I can remember the others, I'll let you know!!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Try searching on LA and downtown...here's one post...and I'm recalling Oscar's otherwise getting good mention.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hm... this is hard
20.gif

How about visiting one HOF or 8* dealer, ooh and aah about the stones, get scared about the prices and convert BF to looking for a discount version of what you like so much ?
39.gif

On the bright side, it could be an informative fact finding mission about H&A ideals anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results