shape
carat
color
clarity

New Years plans?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My new years plans will be low key, as we will have the kids. My 2 tenative plans are getting lobster tails (on sale) and making a nice dinner at home, or going bowling.

However I wanted to know if anyone had any plans for the new years/dinner menus so I can live vicariously through you?

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I sort of wish that I could say that we were doing something fabulous, but we're not. I made an early dinner reservation at a high-end restaurant and we plan to take the kids (the early reservation will hopefully prevent us getting the stink eye for bringing our kids - although, our kids are very polite/well-behaved). I've been sick since Christmas day (started with a sore throat & losing my voice completely and then mutated an almost non-stop cough for a couple of days now, but I'm not contagious), so I'm hoping to feel good enough to get dressed up and go to dinner.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We had a crazy GI 24 hour thing that sequentially got everyone in the family, which we are finally done with. So I don't mind low key plans, this time around!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'll live vicariously through others, too. We'll probably do what we've done for a while now: get takeout or delivery, watch a movie, and be asleep before midnight. :snore: I used to do the whole First Night thing but now that's the last thing I want to do.

Our first NYE together, 11 years ago, we went to Quebec City for one or two nights. It was such a great trip! Had I realized how much time I'd have off before returning to work after NYD, I would have made plans to go away again.

ETA: Momhappy, I hope you feel better soon.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are hosting a party. I'm not sure how large it will be, probably quite small as it was rather last minute.

We don't really have a 'menu', but we picked up a few different cheeses & spreads, lamb t-bone chops that we will bbq and some dim sum style frozen things. Lots of champagne, beer and wine :)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love NYE. We have invites to a few parties, so I think we'll have a set of grandparents keep our kiddo overnight and do a little party-hopping. It will be nice to see some old friends we don't get to hang out with often due to everyone's crazy schedules. Last year we had so much snow and ice that we stayed home and had a few neighbors over for board games, champagne, and treats. That was really fun, but we like to get out so we're glad it's going to be dry this year!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in Lake Tahoe visiting one of my best friends and there is a progressive party involving (I think) five houses in the complex, ending up here at her house for dessert and to ring in the new year. Since I've been here about three weeks now I've met a lot of the people and they are a ton of fun -- should be a great time!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
As little as possible. DH is always on call so we stay in the last few years, watching CNN to see how much Kathy Griffin can make Anderson Cooper giggle bec his laugh is HILARIOUS. We're also both sick still/again, so polluting a party isn't really something we think is very nice! I am making queso dip and tacos for dinner, and I got us some cookies, chex mix and other odds and ends.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
We planned on doing NOTHING but then my friend called and said why don't we go to a local restaurant EARLY and have dinner. I hope to be home by 9pm and in my jammies.

Our kid is moving out {again!} on New Years Day and we are helping him so I want to be awake and alert and make sure he doesn't "accidentally" take something from the basement that is ours!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
part gypsy|1419966071|3809660 said:
My new years plans will be low key, as we will have the kids. My 2 tenative plans are getting lobster tails (on sale) and making a nice dinner at home, or going bowling.

However I wanted to know if anyone had any plans for the new years/dinner menus so I can live vicariously through you?
Please save me one!... :lickout:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thankfully, this year, I don't have to work on NYE. (Retail jobs suck, BTW)
I am originally from Pennsylvania, and the German food influence is huge. The lucky food to prepare is saurkraut and pork. The cabbage leaves represent paper money, and the pig is always rooting--for what, I don't know!
You must eat this, or have bad luck all year. I don't ever remember a New Years when these foods weren't on the table.
I will make a pot of keilbasi and saurkraut with potatoes, apples, onion, brown sugar,salt/pepper, bay leaf, and a splash of apple juice.
Serve on crusty rolls. Heavenly!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

We've been away at a resort and assorted restaurants about town, so it is time to cook. Turkey since I have not had any this season! Tradition stuff and cornmeal soufflé. Sometimes a bunch of my sons friends show up on very short notice--and I feed them. Perhaps tomorrow will be one of those times.... :bigsmile: ...we are eating regardless...

cheers--Sharon

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spending a quiet night indoors with the pets, no doubt I shall have a cocktail or two.

DK :))

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
New Year's eve - uneventful, probably early to bed.

New Year's Day - Rose Parade, Baby! We'll be in our bleacher seats at 6 a.m. in near freezing temperatures. :o But - I'm getting together with friends from all over for this; we started plotting during our holiday get-together last year. It'll be worth it, especially as the day warms up. :lol:

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
Dee*Jay|1419976821|3809742 said:
I'm in Lake Tahoe visiting one of my best friends and there is a progressive party involving (I think) five houses in the complex, ending up here at her house for dessert and to ring in the new year. Since I've been here about three weeks now I've met a lot of the people and they are a ton of fun -- should be a great time!
I love progressive parties! Sounds like a fun time !

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
VRBeauty|1420003329|3809909 said:
New Year's eve - uneventful, probably early to bed.

New Year's Day - Rose Parade, Baby! We'll be in our bleacher seats at 6 a.m. in near freezing temperatures. :o But - I'm getting together with friends from all over for this; we started plotting during our holiday get-together last year. It'll be worth it, especially as the day warms up. :lol:
How exciting! I am not one for crowds but when I lived by NYC, I went with one of my best friends to watch the floats being set up for the Thanksgiving Day parade the night before. It was festive and fun!

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
We are not doing anything this year. My only plan tonight is to enjoy the meal that my hubby makes and a nice glass of champagne while we watch the festivities on TV. Tomorrow morning we will have crab cakes, grits, assorted pastries and mimosas. For dinner on New Year's Day, my mom, who is staying with us for a few months, will make a traditional (for us) black-eyed pea/ sausage/ rice dish for dinner.

I hope that everyone has a safe and blessed New Year :appl:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
stracci2000|1419981779|3809779 said:
Thankfully, this year, I don't have to work on NYE. (Retail jobs suck, BTW)
I am originally from Pennsylvania, and the German food influence is huge. The lucky food to prepare is saurkraut and pork. The cabbage leaves represent paper money, and the pig is always rooting--for what, I don't know!
You must eat this, or have bad luck all year. I don't ever remember a New Years when these foods weren't on the table.
I will make a pot of keilbasi and saurkraut with potatoes, apples, onion, brown sugar,salt/pepper, bay leaf, and a splash of apple juice.
Serve on crusty rolls. Heavenly!

That's interesting! I think my grandmother has made that for me (she is polish) but didn't know it was supposed to be lucky.
I live in the south, so the big thing to make New Years, is black eyed peas and collards; the peas stand for coin money and collards for paper money.

My youngest got a cold after the GI thing, and while she is now (finally) better, I woke up last night with sore throat and stuffed nose darn it! I think I'm still determined to do my lobster tails and champange dinner (with baked potatoes and roasted brussel sprouts) even if I can't totally taste it. Instead of the new years cake I sometimes make, tomorrow will make more melomakarona since the last batch I made got eaten and family wants more.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We love doing a quiet dinner at home. This year is Lobster steamed at the local grocery store (because I'm a wuss). Another couple is joining us this year but it should be low key and wrapped up way before the ball drops in NYC.

Happy New Year PS'ers! :wavey: I hope this year brings you joy, success and of course BLING! :naughty:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Math study to prep for quarter to come while DH keeps working on the software for our little company to sell. Maybe followed by all of us falling asleep on couches watching a movie. Some years we switch over to watch the fireworks at the Space Needle.

Suppose I ought to figure out what I'm cooking for dinner. Oh! Did pick up a bottle of champagne.

I hope this year brings good health, success, and great happiness to all the wonderful people on PS!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not much, just the two of us. If I can stay awake, we may open the bottle of Asti (was up most of the night because we had a 14-hour power outage due to high winds in the San Francisco Bay Area, plus it was super cold, well at least to us, 55 degrees in the house this morning. So we cooked breakfast on the grill since we had no power).

In the past we normally would host a New Year's Eve party, but decided not to this year since we are leaving in few days for a 10-night cruise. Am wearing my new bling from the House of Wink (FIY bracelet and pendant, and CBI diamond) too, but will leave it in the safe when we go ashore in the Mexican Riviera (looking forwards to the 80 degree temps though).

Happy New Year to the PS Community, may 2015 bring your much happiness, good health, success, and prosperity.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH just got off the phone from calling a friend. Couldn't understand why he was getting ready to toast something since NYE is tomorrow.... :lol:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just an early dinner with friends. We had a nice time and were home before 10:00 PM.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results