shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling strmrdr & Gypsy - asscher help

walkinfaith

Rough_Rock
Hi, merry christmas all! Just wondering, what is the lower limit of acceptable dimensions/face up size for a 1.5 carat asscher?

Thank you!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
A lot of 1.5 carat asschers face up at 6.2-6.3.

That's about where it is for me, why?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gypsy|1419578108|3807809 said:
A lot of 1.5 carat asschers face up at 6.2-6.3.

That's about where it is for me, why?
ditto

walkinfaith

Rough_Rock
*phew* thank you so much for responding Gypsy & Karl! I just got engaged with, as you might have guessed, a 1.5 ct. asscher :)) and it is a fantastic performer, super lively and firey! but it faces up at 6.1 x 6.1, which I think is explained by the very thick girdle. I've been kind of stressing out that my DF might have gotten taken, but I think if it's only off by .1 - .2 mm we're good. He picked with his eyes and I think he did a fantastic job so I'm very relieved that it's so close to what it should be.

Thanks so much again!! :wavey:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is there a return policy?

walkinfaith

Rough_Rock
Yes. What are your thoughts?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is it a GIA stone?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tell me about the stone.

And where did he get it from?

Do you have a picture?

walkinfaith

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1419581168|3807819 said:
Is it a GIA stone?
Yes, it is G VS1, he was referred by good friends to what sounds like to me, a bench that does settings for various jewelry stores and also sources stones for private clients. Having been around on PS for a number of years, I had panic and alarm bells sounding as well. But the stone is extremely bright, clear, the steps are very well defined, the windmills are the thickness that I prefer, and it throws off so much fire that it holds its own against a very very well cut tranny that I used to own. The stone is actually 6.15 x 6.11.

The stone does, however, have a feather close to one of the corners/edges. Might it be a concern with a VS1?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No concern with the feather.

So other than the spread, you really like the stone?

walkinfaith

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1419582280|3807823 said:
No concern with the feather.

So other than the spread, you really like the stone?
I really do love it. I know that he paid a lower price than other stones with the same specs found just through the PS search function, which, of course doesn't account for cut but is at least a starting point in terms of comparison. Is the spread far off enough to warrant huge concern?

I think I detect a tiny bit of leakage - at a certain angle (that actually doesn't occur when I'm wearing the ring but only while holding the ring and turning it), I can see through one of the facets - but I'm torn as to whether it is worth it to try to find a different diamond. Honestly, if I hadn't been PS educated I wouldn't even notice.

And thanks again for all that you do, your help is immensely appreciated!

walkinfaith

Rough_Rock
Here is a terrible picture I took in a room with bad lighting and gold curtains -ugh! I don't know how to take a picture of this diamond that is actually representative of what it looks like in real life. Hopefully it'll be marginally helpful. Also, please ignore the setting - it's a temp loaner and super wonky!

_25555.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No. If you love it, and it's GIA graded, and he paid less because of the spread, I think you are fine.

:wavey:

But if the spread bothers you to the extent that it's stopping you from enjoying the ring, then you can look around and see what else is out there. But a larger (spreadier) stone may cost more, so that's something to consider.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gypsy|1419630066|3808072 said:
No. If you love it, and it's GIA graded, and he paid less because of the spread, I think you are fine.

:wavey:

But if the spread bothers you to the extent that it's stopping you from enjoying the ring, then you can look around and see what else is out there. But a larger (spreadier) stone may cost more, so that's something to consider.
well said
If you love it, enjoy it.

walkinfaith

Rough_Rock
Thank you both so, so much! And from the terrible picture there aren't any glaring problems, like a p3 problem, right? It really is such a firecracker in real life, and I feel like I've looked at enough asscher threads on PS over the years to know what an asscher should look like.

Your help is invaluable and so very appreciated!! Hope you are having a happy holiday season! :wavey:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
walkinfaith|1419639990|3808138 said:
Thank you both so, so much! And from the terrible picture there aren't any glaring problems, like a p3 problem, right? It really is such a firecracker in real life, and I feel like I've looked at enough asscher threads on PS over the years to know what an asscher should look like.

Your help is invaluable and so very appreciated!! Hope you are having a happy holiday season! :wavey:
I would get yelled at by the other pros(rightfully so) if I said to much based on that picture but I can say I don't see anything screaming return it in the picture.

walkinfaith

Rough_Rock
Karl_K|1419642748|3808150 said:
walkinfaith|1419639990|3808138 said:

I would get yelled at by the other pros(rightfully so) if I said to much based on that picture but I can say I don't see anything screaming return it in the picture.
Okay, fair point :bigsmile: thank you!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results