shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Picking Cushion Cut!

Muleskinner

Rough_Rock
Alright, so I've tried to educate myself better on where and how to pick out a cushion cut online-Thanks to Gypsy for the friendly nudge in the right direction. I wanted to start a new thread with everything a bit better laid out. I understand I have three ASETS I can request through JA so I would love if I could get some help finding good options within my range!

Setting: I am really drawn to the setting Urasia created with BE, this looks stunning to me and I'd like to have something like this:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-need-opinions-about-this-cushion-cut-diamond-pics.206771/page-3']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-need-opinions-about-this-cushion-cut-diamond-pics.206771/page-3[/URL]

Metal: I like rose gold a lot.... but if that would be a bad combination with the diamond/setting type I picked please let me know. I think the modern look of the solitaire setting with the old style look of rose gold would look nice. Otherwise platinum is ok I suppose.

Diamond: Cushion cut is what I'm going for. I flat out asked today how my partner feels about color in diamonds and the response was "I've never noticed it. What is it? I'll like whatever you get me"...so I'll take that as a sign that color wise I can go down to J. I actually like a little bit of color, although I feel maybe a little uncomfortable with J color since I've never seen that in person to know truly how much color that would be; at any rate I think it would be ok for her.
I would feel more comfortable with VS2 or better, I really worry about being able to determine eye cleanliness through pictures. Size wise, I'd like around the 1.3-1.5 carat mark if that's reasonable with my budget. I would sacrifice size for cut obviously but hey, the bigger the better. I know I am not fond of the crushed ice style of cushions.

Budget: 10k all in.

Anyone mind to help me find some good candidates on JA? Thank you!

Muleskinner

Rough_Rock
Yes I really like the rectangular shape over the more square cushions. Is it better to get the diamond from the same place you'd have it set? I hadn't really looked at BE's loose diamond options.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It doesn't matter where you get the diamond. The important thing is to get a great cushion! BE and Good Old Gold are places that carry a nice selection of well cut cushions.

I would probably caution you against setting your stone with that prong orientation. I would not want to leave all four corners exposed like that. Seems very risky to me.

Muleskinner

Rough_Rock
Risky in that you might damage the stone, or risky in that it might come loose? I have to admit that prong placement is what sets the look off, it's really beautifully done. Of course I have no experience with such things, so I don't know the mechanics of the setting.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1419570371|3807791 said:
I would probably caution you against setting your stone with that prong orientation. I would not want to leave all four corners exposed like that. Seems very risky to me.

Me too.

Muleskinner, I found some stones for you at JA. Is there a reason you need to buy now? JA's stock is depleted, but in a few weeks they'll be all stocked up again before Valentine's Day.

I know you said VS or better, but these Si1's have a good choice of being eyeclean (some definitely are) and the gemologist at JA will tell you okay?

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.30-carat-i-color-vs1-clarity-sku-388033
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.36-carat-i-color-si1-clarity-sku-370173 Second favorite
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.50-carat-i-color-si1-clarity-sku-370171 I like this one best, if it is eyeclean.
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.51-carat-i-color-si1-clarity-sku-361365

Muleskinner

Rough_Rock
Thank you both for the suggestions!
I definitely prefer the more rectangular look of the one from B2C
http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-5096974-1.70-carat-Cushion-diamond-H-color-SI1-clarity.aspx

Question about eye cleanliness though, I asked one of the representatives from JA about one of those stones and they told me it was perfectly clean... but just looked at it on the computer like I am. Is that all the confirmation I should be getting or should I be asking for them to have it looked at in person? I asked and they made it seem like physical inspection was not necessary...

And yes I do have a good deal of time Gypsy, do you all think it would be worth the time to stick it out and wait a few weeks?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that 1.7 is worth jumping on. That's not going to be beatable I think, given the size/color/performance combo. It's a great stone if eyeclean. And with your budget I'd want higher color than the I choices I found on JA. So if you are going to pass on the 1.7 or it doesn't work out, then for the JA selections, I'd wait a while.

You can tell if something is likely to be eyeclean from an image if you have experience. But that's how it should be phrased, "Likely to be eyeclean."

But you need to have a gemologists confirmation from any vendor because that's what counts, and that's the opinion that counts.

So you can send it for an ASET based on an image, but the gemologist will examine the stone and tell you for sure.

Put the B2C 1.7 stone on hold now. Ask them to have their gemologist examine it. They have a great return policy too, which is nice.

Muleskinner

Rough_Rock
That's what I'm hoping to do. B2C says they can't hold the stone because it's overseas, but will let me know by monday what the gemologist says about it....Hopefully that pans out.

Muleskinner

Rough_Rock
Alright, well they got a hold of the gemologist quicker than expected and sent me over the response plus a few ASET and idealscope pictures as well.

from the rep:
" As per gemologist comments, the diamond is completely eye clean with no inclusions visible to the naked eyes. The strong blue fluorescence makes the diamond look very very slight blue which is not that noticeable to the naked eyes."

The word is that it's eye clean, so I'm liking this. Still look good?

5096974_aset_image.jpg

5096974_idealscope_image.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
YES! Awesome! I think you are good to go!

Muleskinner

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1419717234|3808419 said:
YES! Awesome! I think you are good to go!
Thank you so much for the help! Honestly I would have goofed this up horribly without this site. I went with the 1.7 so it is on its way now.
I do have one more question to bug everyone about though regarding the setting. I emailed Mark at BE to see about having the solitair setting with pave baset very similar to Urasia's really beautiful setting and got a price for that, I also emailed Diamond Zone with the exact same request and I was surprised to find that DZ quoted a thousand dollars less for the same design.... I've read a lot of reviews of their work but still I'm wondering if that can possibly be right? Does anyone have an opinion on if they think DZ could put out a setting as nicely done as Urasia's? To me it seems like a relatively simple setting but I'm no jewelry so....

Muleskinner

Rough_Rock
Ah and I did ask both places about the prong placement, and they both agreed it was safe.

Muleskinner

Rough_Rock
Bump. Anyone have opinions on that?

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Great diamond!!! As to the setting, BE has already made the setting once and this is for an engagement ring, correct? Personally I would pick BE. I also love that setting & if it were for me I would go that route.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
woofmama|1419988463|3809823 said:
Great diamond!!! As to the setting, BE has already made the setting once and this is for an engagement ring, correct? Personally I would pick BE. I also love that setting & if it were for me I would go that route.

Yeah, I wouldn't have anyone else do that setting. BE's already done it once and beautifully. If they say it's safe, then okay.

Muleskinner

Rough_Rock
Well the diamond from B2C finally arrived (after some significant headache with the package getting lost for four days by UPS..). It, to my eyes at least, looks very nice! I tried to take some pictures, but it is apparently quite hard to get good diamond photos and it was overcast outside so it looks dull. Anyways, when you look at the stone up close it does have a bluish color to it which is actually pretty appealing. It's definitely eye clean, I think it's a keeper, what do you all think?

img_6643.jpg

img_6644.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks really nice. Truly. Big too.

Muleskinner

Rough_Rock
Thank you again for your help finding this Gypsy, I'm very happy with it. It should be off to BE by monday for the setting, I'm excited to see how it all turns out!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Please post LOTS of pictures of that beauty when it's all set and ready to go.

urasia

Rough_Rock
Hi Muleskinner, I'm so glad you loved the design! Your diamond is stunning, I can't wait to see what yours looks like set! Please post lots of pics once it's done!!

I still haven't been able to see mine in person yet since my boyfriend has hidden it from me for the time being haha, he's dying to show me though and he can't believe how incredible it looks every time he takes it out the box to have a little look at it.

Mark at BE was great to work with and I'm sure your ring will turn out beautifully! It's going to look amazing and I would be so excited to see the final result if you decide to go with rose gold for the setting :) I love the look of rose gold myself and was very tempted to go in that direction!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results