shape
carat
color
clarity

Menus for Christmas and Boxing Days

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did the last of my food shopping today, and finalised the menus for Christmas and Boxing Days.

On Christmas Day:

Starter is pan-fried scallops with diced Chorizo served on a bed of lightly dressed rocket leaves
Main course is a roast duck, with all the trimmings (roast spuds, parsnips, stir-fried vegetables and pigs in blankets), served with a spicy sweet and sour sauce on the side
Dessert is crème brûlée

On Boxing Day:

Starter is garlicky roast quails
Main course is a rib-eye steak with a port and Stilton sauce on the side with potato wedges, giant mushrooms, onion rings, stir-fried vegetables and pigs in blankets
Dessert is pancake with peanut butter cream cheese filling topped with chocolate fudge sauce

Nibbles are the usual prawns and smoked salmon on small crackers, with Marie Rose sauce for prawns and creamy dill sauce for salmon, topped with lumpfish roes.

There will be cheeses, crackers and grapes if I still have room, and there is plenty of snacks such as crisps and nuts too.

Buck's Fizz made with sparkling wine to kick start Christmas Day after I get out of bed. Red wine for the meals, and more cocktails throughout the day.

I love Christmas as I get to drink, cook and eat food I do not normally cook at home (except for a steak dinner).

How about you?

DK :bigsmile:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Sounds delish! Many family? What do you prepare in advance?

cheers--Sharon

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1419302805|3806218 said:
HI:

cheers--Sharon

I shall spend Christmas on my own with the pets, and they'll no doubt share the duck and the steak. Leftover duck will be made into a fried rice and noodle soup for later.

Duck is already marinating in the fridge, the peanut butter cream cheese mix has already been made (left over from a cheesecake that I made), and I shall make the two sauces for the nibbles tonight, and make the dessert tomorrow night.

DK :))

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DK, why can't I come over for Christmas and Boxing Day? Haha [emoji16] [emoji39] Both menus sound amazing and a labour of love! Enjoy the holidays!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The few times I spent Christmas with other people in the past 30 or so years, someone always ended in tears, myself on two occasions, so never again, I'd rather be on my own with the pets, sorry! :bigsmile:

And thanks for the kind wishes.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1419327725|3806344 said:
canuk-gal|1419302805|3806218 said:
HI:

cheers--Sharon

I shall spend Christmas on my own with the pets, and they'll no doubt share the duck and the steak. Leftover duck will be made into a fried rice and noodle soup for later.

Duck is already marinating in the fridge, the peanut butter cream cheese mix has already been made (left over from a cheesecake that I made), and I shall make the two sauces for the nibbles tonight, and make the dessert tomorrow night.

HI:

Crème brulee keeps rather well so I always make this in advance. Yanno pudding and all.

I use left over duck to make duck hash for breakfast. Devine.

cheers--Sharon

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Your recipes sound delicious. You do all that for yourself? I know you will enjoy it, and i wish I could share it with you. I have never cooked a duck myself, although my mother occasionally used to make one for Christmas.

Merry Christmas to you.
!

Annette

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are super vague because we have family parties with about thirty to fifty people and everyone signs up to bring something. There is always a loose theme, with this year's themes being "chili cookoff" and "cajun gumbo."

Christmas Eve-

appetizers:
shrimp
baked jalapeños
veggie tray type things
chips and dip
crackers and cheese

main course:
salad
rice
beef/venison/pork chili
chicken chili
chili fixins obviously including fritos

dessert:
apple pie
gingerbread

Christmas Day-

appetizers:
hot bean dip and chips
veggie tray thing
ham

main:
gumbo
arugula salad
caesar salad
coleslaw
cornbread with a twist
flaky butter biscuits

desserts:
bread pudding
gingerbread cake
chocolate cake

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
dk168|1419302219|3806214 said:
I did the last of my food shopping today, and finalised the menus for Christmas and Boxing Days.

On Christmas Day:

Starter is pan-fried scallops with diced Chorizo served on a bed of lightly dressed rocket leaves
Main course is a roast duck, with all the trimmings (roast spuds, parsnips, stir-fried vegetables and pigs in blankets), served with a spicy sweet and sour sauce on the side
Dessert is crème brûlée

Yum, this sounds so good!

I'm making ham, salad, dairy free pumpkin pie (going to try a recipe calling for coconut milk...hoping that turns out ok), rolls, mashed potatoes, and green beans. It's pretty laid back.

To drink will be serving champagne :cheeky: I might start on that while cooking!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that sounds amazing!

I am hosting christmas this year, and I was nervous. Before everyone started offering to bring EVERYTHING haha. I only have to make the turkey, and the rest of my family is bringing everything else, including a duck/goose (newfies traditionally eat puffin, but I don't think that's allowed anymore) and a ham. I don't think I will need a boxing day menu as there will be so much leftover!

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
Everything sounds so delicious!

We are having family at my house (I hate travelling with the twins- they will be 3 tomorrow). I will be cooking for 3 adults and 2 toddlers.

Pot Roast
Ham (DH insists upon it- too much food IMO :confused: )
Mashed Potatoes
Green Beans
Stuffing (DH's Contribution)
Cranberry Sauce

Apple Crisp

Sangria

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm doing a Christmas Day brunch.

Cheeses and some cold cuts out for appetizers.

Then for the brunch:

Apple and/or peach (haven't decided) bread pudding with whiskey sauce.
Eggs Benedict
Crab cakes

Mimosas.

That's about it.
I may get jiggy with a salad too, but I doubt it. :lol:

There are only 6 people total so more food than that would just be a waste.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone for sharing your menus!

On 27 Dec, I am hosting a meal for 5 people via Meetup at a local curry restaurant, to give ourselves a rest from the chores.

Then back to more cooking on Sunday to turn the leftover duck into fried rice.

I got myself a pack of fancy party food for snacking while I prepare for the Christmas Day meal tomorrow evening.

Enjoy your break, everyone, and Happy Holidays!

DK :bigsmile:

Paz

Rough_Rock
We're going for my mom's traditional menu; she passed away in 2013, and we weren't up for doing anything during last year's holidays. For Christmas Eve dinner with dh, my visiting dad, and me:

Apps-
Deviled Eggs
Cranberry Bread
Pickle tray

Entrees-
Toutierre Pie (ground beef, pork, and potato)
Cranberry Sauce
Ham
Mixed Veggies
Crescent Rolls

Dessert-
Chocolate Cream Pie
Butterscotch Pie
Christmas Cookies

Christmas dinner will be at my brother's home, with my sil's family (all ordered from the grocer or microwaved from frozen section):

Roast Turkey
Spiral Ham
Roast Potatoes (homemade)
Yorkshire Pudding (homemade)
Corn
Dinner Rolls/ Biscuits

Dessert:
Pumpkin, Apple, and French Silk Pies

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
Paz- What a great thing to do in honor of your mother. Very touching and yummy!

Paz

Rough_Rock
CRYSTAL24K|1419375970|3806783 said:
Paz- What a great thing to do in honor of your mother. Very touching and yummy!

Thank you Crystal24k! :wavey:

My mother always made Christmas so special, even with 5 children and no money. The last few years have been difficult, because she had advanced dementia and was in a nursing home. This is the first Christmas, in almost 5 years, we're doing "her way", and it is bringing back bittersweet memories from before she was ill.

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
DK your menu sounds amazing!! I want to come over too!

Mc - I made a pumpkin pie using coconut cream a few weeks ago! It was amazing! I hope you enjoy yours. :))

Christmas this year will be very laid back and non-traditional with lots of Thai curries - massaman, green curry and Penang, spring rolls and other Thai snacky things. For dessert I want to make a paleo chocolate cake..or maybe gingerbread.. Haven't decided yet!

Merry Christmas everyone!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Paz|1419372682|3806742 said:
We're going for my mom's traditional menu; she passed away in 2013, and we weren't up for doing anything during last year's holidays. For Christmas Eve dinner with dh, my visiting dad, and me:

Apps-
Deviled Eggs
Cranberry Bread
Pickle tray

Entrees-
Toutierre Pie (ground beef, pork, and potato)
Cranberry Sauce
Ham
Mixed Veggies
Crescent Rolls

Dessert-
Chocolate Cream Pie
Butterscotch Pie
Christmas Cookies

Christmas dinner will be at my brother's home, with my sil's family (all ordered from the grocer or microwaved from frozen section):

Roast Turkey
Spiral Ham
Roast Potatoes (homemade)
Yorkshire Pudding (homemade)
Corn
Dinner Rolls/ Biscuits

Dessert:
Pumpkin, Apple, and French Silk Pies

I love traditional tourtiere but no longer have any French Canadian friends/near to make it for me. Hence I make a chunky version based on a recipe from an old Canadian Living Christmas edition magazine.

cheers--Sharon

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now I am SO hungry!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll dig around in the back of my fridge.
Maybe I'll find a piece of leftover Costco lasagne to pop into the microwave.
That and a glass of Two-Buck UpChuck and I'm good to go. :appl:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You guys are making me think I should expand my menu. LOL.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
We're having two Christmas Eve meals and two tomorrow for Christmas. This morning we're having baked ham,salad, a potato dish that my mom makes, and a variety of sweets, breads, etc. Tonight we're going to my SIL's house for a pot luck dinner. I think my husband's going to make shepard's pie (well, cottage pie, I think, since it's made with ground beef), which sounds strange for a holiday dish. We have to make something that can easily feed 20 people or so, and I really can't complain since my husband's doing the cooking. Tomorrow at my parents' house, my mom always makes huge popovers and fruit salad for breakfast. Dinner tomorrow will be Thanksgiving all over again -- turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, and cranberry sauce. There will also be plenty of banana bread, pumpkin bread, candy, and cookies.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Since this is Texas, we're having tamales, rice and black beans.
The tamales were made by one of my co-worker's Mexican mother.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tonight, Christmas Eve, we are having Filet Mignon and Lobster tails, baked potatoes, artichokes and roasted brussel sprouts and homemade rolls. It is only my immediate family. Hubby is working tomorrow, so the kids and I will be making a dish we call Hinoki wings. Years ago, we had neighbors with the last name Hinoki and they made us a batch of these chicken wings when I came home from the hospital after having one of our kids. They generously gave us the recipe and they have been a family favorite ever since. They are a bit of a worker so I only make them for special occasions. I am making pumpkin pies tonight and we have lots of finger foods for tomorrow.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I'm hosting Christmas dinner, but lots of other people contributing to our feast.

I'm making a 15lb prime rib roast
Baked salmon with crunchy onion topping
Mashed potatoes
Creamed spinach
Butternut squash ginger soup

My brother is making
Skillet corn bread
Green beans almondine
Stuffed tomatoes

My aunts are making
Some appetizer,
Quinoa salad with black beans and avocado
Stir fried rice noodles

Dessert being handled by my cousin and his new girlfriend, so I have no clue!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
texaskj|1419467955|3807466 said:

A bunch of members of my family have pre-christmas tamale-baking parties. Sadly I'm from the whiter side so I've never been to one, but they look super fun.

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
This thread was fun to read and made me hungry! :)

This is a rare Christmas that we are spending with just the four of us, rather than the usual whole family affair, and it is so relaxing!!
Last night we had- smoked salmon with dill and lemon goats cheese, scallops with crispy fried shallots and shallot parsley butter, meat pies with pomegranate and arugula salad, and a variety of cookies and sweets.
This morning it was Belgium waffles and sausages. And the Christmas feast coming later will include turkey, cranberry sauce with Apple and star anise, bread stuffing, pork and chorizo stuffing, ginger yams, taters, gravy etc. followed by the obligatory cookies and sweets.

But I think what I am most looking forward to is the cup of very good coffee with Benedictine on the side that my H is making for me... hopefully very soon!

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
distracts|1419490989|3807544 said:
texaskj|1419467955|3807466 said:

A bunch of members of my family have pre-christmas tamale-baking parties. Sadly I'm from the whiter side so I've never been to one, but they look super fun.

According to my best friend, who's half Irish and half Mexican, it can be a lot of fun or a hellish nightmare. The ones we had today are made solo. My co-worker's mom makes them almost every weekend and can't stand to have anybody in the kitchen with her. I'm pretty sure she's an anomaly.
My mom and dad got me a small La Creuset dutch oven for Christmas, so I made the beans in it. I LOVE their stuff.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
ricezo|1419377017|3806791 said:
DK your menu sounds amazing!! I want to come over too!

Mc - I made a pumpkin pie using coconut cream a few weeks ago! It was amazing! I hope you enjoy yours. :))

Christmas this year will be very laid back and non-traditional with lots of Thai curries - massaman, green curry and Penang, spring rolls and other Thai snacky things. For dessert I want to make a paleo chocolate cake..or maybe gingerbread.. Haven't decided yet!

Merry Christmas everyone!!

The texture on the coconut milk pumpkin pie turned out really smooth. Was a lot creamier than the rice dream version I tried last time! ;))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results