shape
carat
color
clarity

OEC Help! Opinions on 1.75ct OEC Hand Filigree platinum

dm22

Rough_Rock
Here is an update on where I am at. I've contacted Adam at OWD and given him my price range but don't expect to hear back till after the Christmas holidays.

Spoke with the gf and I think the big issue will be the color with this diamond. I had her look at some images of the ring and she likes it and didn't say anything about the color. I let her know that its a L-M and she was surprised because she doesn't like things below an M. Because of that I think we will both have to see the ring in person in order to really see if she would be ok with it.

I contacted the seller and was able to get some better pictures and documents on the inclusions. The ring is being sold through something similar to eBay and I'll be trying to set up a time and place to meet with the seller in person to inspect the ring. From there I'd like to go with the seller to an appriser to confirm the setting is original and see if the diamond could be taken out to be graded (though may be tough if it truly is an original setting). I haven't started to negotiate a price yet with him but I'll send him something later today and see if we can work something out.

Again thanks everyone! Any advice, suggestions or OEC hunting tips are always greatly appreciated :appl:

And now updated pics (Should I asked for any other more specific pics?):

img_0322.jpg
img_0323.jpg
img_0325-2.jpg
img_0326.jpg
img_0328_4.jpg
img_0330.jpg
img_0331.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Is it EGL-USA?

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just for comparison, here is my stone and setting dated 1913. You can see the similarities, including the exaggerated height of the cathedral shank where it meets the basket. I believe my ring was die cast, but have never had an expert look at it.

These photos are only to give an example of another similar ring from this era, with a similarly cut stone. I think the OPs setting is in much better shape/has more detail, including far less wear on the basket where it rubbed against another ring. image_2760.jpg image_2762.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It really is a stunning stone.

Take your lady with you to see the stone and determine if the color is right for her.

I STRONGLY suggest this. Her's is the only opinion that matters on color.

dm22

Rough_Rock
CharmyPoo|1419445256|3807325 said:
Is it EGL-USA?

Yes it is a EGL-USA cert. I know that is better than any international one but it doesn't hold as much to GIA.

dm22

Rough_Rock
LightBright|1419447385|3807332 said:
Just for comparison, here is my stone and setting dated 1913. You can see the similarities, including the exaggerated height of the cathedral shank where it meets the basket. I believe my ring was die cast, but have never had an expert look at it.

These photos are only to give an example of another similar ring from this era, with a similarly cut stone. I think the OPs setting is in much better shape/has more detail, including far less wear on the basket where it rubbed against another ring. image_2760.jpg image_2762.jpg

Beautiful ring! What color is the diamond? I'm waiting on a response from the seller on if the setting is inscribed in any way.

dm22

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1419448125|3807334 said:

Take your lady with you to see the stone and determine if the color is right for her.

That's the plan, if she doesn't mind the color I believe I'll move forward with it. Just trying to set up a time to meet with the seller.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
dm22|1419448611|3807341 said:
Gypsy|1419448125|3807334 said:

That's the plan, if she doesn't mind the color I believe I'll move forward with it. Just trying to set up a time to meet with the seller.

Perfect. :wavey: Make sure you get at least a 7 day return policy. Full refund return.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Dm22, I never got my stone appraised so I don't know the color. I believe it's a K-L, but this kind of cut is a chameleon. The profile against a white background is an accurate color, but the top down photo was picking up the gold wall in the foreground. The cut is very light reflective and looks very white under a bright sky outside. Inside it takes on both wall color and ceiling.

Bring your camera to the meeting with the vendor so you can consider hand shots and close ups later!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
dm22|1419448448|3807338 said:
Is it EGL-USA?

Yes it is a EGL-USA cert. I know that is better than any international one but it doesn't hold as much to GIA.

I am not anti EGL-USA. I have sent several stones to EGL-USA (Canada branch) and GIA - EGL-USA was always 1 color higher than GIA but exactly the same for clarity.

Don't worry too much to the point that you lose the stone!

dm22

Rough_Rock
CharmyPoo|1419496118|3807552 said:
Is it EGL-USA?

I am not anti EGL-USA. I have sent several stones to EGL-USA (Canada branch) and GIA - EGL-USA was always 1 color higher than GIA but exactly the same for clarity.

Good to know. I'll use the info to negotiate the price some. Does anyone know if there is a way to date a setting if there isn't a stamp/mark denoting it?

dm22

Rough_Rock
Quick question on reading the inclusion diagrams. Are the two red marks near the top denote chips or anything I should be worried about?

img_0323.jpg

snfsdca

Rough_Rock
dm22|1419636565|3808125 said:
CharmyPoo|1419496118|3807552 said:
Is it EGL-USA?

Good to know. I'll use the info to negotiate the price some. Does anyone know if there is a way to date a setting if there isn't a stamp/mark denoting it?

Does the setting have a metal stamp? Sometimes (though not always) you can distinguish a modern reproduction setting from an authentic antique by the metal stamp. "IRID PLAT" (for iridium platinum alloy) would lend me to believe more the likelihood of it being an older piece rather than a stamp of "PLAT" which is commonly used in modern repros. I have seen some reproductions though, that have been produced using molds that are created from an original antique piece - those are sometimes difficult to distinguish at first glance. If you are still going to be meeting to see the ring in person, feeling it will also give you insight. Are the edges rough? Is the milgraining sharp to the touch? Those are usually clues that the piece has been produced recently. Age and wear will give a piece (especially platinum) a softness to the touch.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Regarding the plot map of inclusions, I believe those are naturals on the girdle but the key would tell you. Chips wouldn't be good for me. I've never really cared about naturals, they don't affect my opinion of the diamond, but YMMV. Bring a hand lens? And make sure to consult the key and report.

Dating rings is hard since sometimes you can't find any identifying marks nor platinum marks on old pieces. New pieces would be marked PLAT (versus iridium/platinum)

The reason I thought your setting might be antique is that the middle prong/basket (farthest away from the finger and closest to any additional rings) on your setting seems slightly worn. There is an extremely fine line of miligrain on both sides of the prong that have been worn away, from the middle of the basket to the shank. The engraving at the base of that middle prong us also worn away slightly. You can see the existing strips of miligrain on the prongs to the right and left intact, extending, straight down to the shank.

Your ring is no where near as badly worn as mine, you can see on mine a similar pattern of wear even a deep cut into the prong itself indicating many years of wearing the diamond ring with another ring. Over time, platinum wears away. The patterns and detail that are evident on prongs/basket closer to the diamond and away from any rubbing are much crisper on your ring. Another indicator of an antique ring is far finer detail than in modern rings. The miligrain is exceptionally fine on antique rings, I think yours is extremely fine.

I changed my opinion-- you should consider the stone first. If you love it, I think an antique setting that is original to the ring is a nice to have, but I wouldn't give up on this particular stone if you love it due to concerns about the age/originality of the setting. Numerous well respected PSer's have indicated this stone could be a great one.

dm22

Rough_Rock
Quick update. Thanks to everyone and their help. Ring is bought and was able to negotiate the price down a good amount. I have a 12 day return policy so when it arrives I'll be taking it to an independent appraiser. Girlfriend saw the color and says she loves it. Now I just want to confirm everything. The big question is which appraiser would be best to look at an OEC?

I'm located in the Baltimore area so I contacted Martin Fuller and David Atlas. Martin can meet Monday and can unmount but is a little pricey ($275). Spoke with David also and he is only available on Jan 9th and is about $175. Any suggestions on other apprisers or on who to use?

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like you got an excellent deal on a beautiful stone. Please check back after the appraisal to tell us the outcome, but since your GF loves the stone, I would think that even if the color comes out warmer than indicated by EGL she will want to keep it. The faceting on it is lovely.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Excellent news! I'm thrilled that your girlfriend loves it. :appl:

David Atlas has a great reputation on PS for appraising old cut stones. He's seen a lot of antique settings and could likely confirm the antiquity of the setting, in addition to telling you about the cut, etc.

I would ask both appraisers how comfortable they are with unsetting this particular stone from the ring and factor that into your selection process (and be sure you have permission to return the ring from the vendor if it is unset).

To tell you the truth, if your girlfriend LOVES IT, and you paid a price that you feel good about, that's half the battle. I can't imagine this ring being too far off in value than what you paid for it. The appraisal report will be important for insurance and replacement however...

YAY!! So happy for you, please keep us posted!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results