carat
color
clarity

Conflicted about DK re-do

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ooeemusic|1419450817|3807365 said:
I guess everyone thinks I'm just being to picky? I'm not saying I expect an exact replica I know it probably is coming off that way, but really I'm not. I really think I could be ok with it feeling like a miniature to me if the profile was a little taller, maybe even just a little taller head, and if the channel wasn't slanted. I will have to pounder this. I really don't think it's to much to ask to have a newly casted ring not have a deep scratch in it, is it?

With all due respect, ooeemusice... you really ARE asking for an exact replica. DK has done an amazing job, and the ring looks almost identical. You've nit-picked every last detail to the nth degree because it's not just exactly like your original. I agree with the poster above; I'd not try to duplicate it anymore, because I honestly don't think you're gonna be happy with anything other than your original. Sadly, it's gone, so it may be better if you just looked at a totally different setting. ::)

As far as a scratch... it can be polished out -- no big deal whatsoever.

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
Ok I will just deal with DK about it. I'm not sure how not liking the low profile when I expressed before it was cast that I was worried about it makes me to picky, had I seen the updated pictures I expected to see, approved them and then it was cast and I didn't like it, I could see that being to picky, but not when I expressed my concerns beforehand and was not given the chance to see if it was what I wanted prior to the final casting.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Talk to DK about it.

Tell him your concerns and express to him that you expected to be informed before it went for casting so you could approve it, and that he did not get your approval.

Also mention your concern about the channels and the scratch.

That said, if he agrees to redo (he may not, he may just ask for the setting back and refund you), you have to be very clear with him about expectations and process.

And if after ONE redo you are still not happy with it, after he has followed the process and incorporated all your changes, then I think you just need to suck it up and move on to a new setting.

Okay?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ooeemusic|1419452142|3807374 said:
Ok I will just deal with DK about it. I'm not sure how not liking the low profile when I expressed before it was cast that I was worried about it makes me to picky, had I seen the updated pictures I expected to see, approved them and then it was cast and I didn't like it, I could see that being to picky, but not when I expressed my concerns beforehand and was not given the chance to see if it was what I wanted prior to the final casting.

Post by ooeemusic » 23 Dec 2014 08:33

Thanks everyone, you all make good points. I had my husband look at it and he said he honestly thinks they are almost identical. I also had David send me some pics of my ring with an anniversary band behind it so I could see if it would be visible in front of another ring. Then, I went a head and told him to ship it.

To be fair, you did give DK the okay to ship it -- so were these not the most updated photos? :confused:

It's not a matter of being too picky -- I'm super picky -- like, OCD-drive-myself-crazy-picky. :shifty: The thing is... it seems you may never be satisfied with a "new" setting, unless it looked exactly like your old one. The DK setting is just ever-so-slightly lower than your original, so calling it a "miniature" is being dramatic. :roll: :boohoo:

Keep in mind that you're comparing the rings using extremely magnified images, so unless it's a 100% perfect replica (which is pretty much impossible when comparing while magnified), you're always going to find tiny discrepancies between the two.

Being picky is fine. Most everyone on PS is pretty darn picky! ...but you need to be realistic about the likelihood of any bench being able to achieve the "level of exact" that you desire. Honestly, I don't think you will be happy if DK (or any other bench) tried to make it again. It's not the original. You're not going to get your old ring back, so why not put it behind you and start fresh?? :|

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
Post by ooeemusic » 23 Dec 2014 08:33

Thanks everyone, you all make good points. I had my husband look at it and he said he honestly thinks they are almost identical. I also had David send me some pics of my ring with an anniversary band behind it so I could see if it would be visible in front of another ring. Then, I went a head and told him to ship it.

To be fair, you did give DK the okay to ship it -- so were these not the most updated photos? :confused:

It's not a matter of being too picky -- I'm super picky -- like, OCD-drive-myself-crazy-picky. :shifty: The thing is... it seems you may never be satisfied with a "new" setting, unless it looked exactly like your old one. The DK setting is just ever-so-slightly lower than your original, so calling it a "miniature" is being dramatic. :roll: :boohoo:

Keep in mind that you're comparing the rings using extremely magnified images, so unless it's a 100% perfect replica (which is pretty much impossible when comparing while magnified), you're always going to find tiny discrepancies between the two.

Being picky is fine. Most everyone on PS is pretty darn picky! ...but you need to be realistic about the likelihood of any bench being able to achieve the "level of exact" that you desire. Honestly, I don't think you will be happy if DK (or any other bench) tried to make it again. It's not the original. You're not going to get your old ring back, so why not put it behind you and start fresh?? :|[/quote]

I gave him the ok the ship because he asked if I would like to see it in person because pictures are hard to see actual dimensions in.
And it's not that I'm totally unhappy with the setting I actual am very impressed with it, what I'm unhappy with is the low profile, and the slant on one of the channels. The spacing between the head and channels isn't quite the same, I can deal with that, it doesn't taper like the other one, I can live with that there are actually a lot of things that aren't "exact" that I have no issue with.

And I'm not exaggerating when I say it "feels" miniature. My old one was a tank, and felt like a tank on my hand. This one feels dainty and fragile. To me that makes it "feel" miniature.

And like I said before, I don't even know that I would want it totally re-done. Maybe just a slightly higher head is the look I'm really going for.

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1419452828|3807383 said:
Talk to DK about it.

Tell him your concerns and express to him that you expected to be informed before it went for casting so you could approve it, and that he did not get your approval.

Also mention your concern about the channels and the scratch.

That said, if he agrees to redo (he may not, he may just ask for the setting back and refund you), you have to be very clear with him about expectations and process.

And if after ONE redo you are still not happy with it, after he has followed the process and incorporated all your changes, then I think you just need to suck it up and move on to a new setting.

Okay?

Thanks, gypsy. That is my plan. I'm just really confused why it went to casting before I approved it anyway. When he and I talked in the beginning he specifically told me nothing would be cast without my approval.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I am pretty darn picky with settings and I think this is a pretty darn close job. With that said, you know your old ring best so you will know the difference. It is next to impossible to make two rings exactly the same even if the same person is doing it. I tried and failed.

I think you might want to consider a completely different design to avoid disappointment I also wouldn't want to go any higher! The setting is already really high - aren't you considered with banging it?

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
I'm not really concerned about hitting in anything. Like I said, the last head higher and I never hit it on anything. It didn't a scratch on the head, and the diamond was so encased that even if I were to bump the head on something the diamond would be fine.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diamond is set really high already. I will have to agree with the others that this is about as good as it can get as a replica. I think he did an outstanding job, and honestly, I think he maybe improved it.

But obviously the ring is not for us, it's for you, and if you don't like it, let him know. But I am also going to have to agree with the others that you may just need to go to a store and pick out a new setting if this doesn't work because I am not sure you'll be happy with any attempt to replicate the original ring.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi ooeemusic,

Obviously you were looking for something in particular, and you're the customer, so you need to get what you want. However, having said that...

I think the ring he's sent you is considerably more well made than the one you had, so you can't fault DK for that. He's straightened up the lines, there's better flow and, for my money, the original was overly high. This is your ring, of course, but I do think the improved workmanship is obvious.

And - having agreed that the new ring is lower, I agree with the posters who have said that it appears to only be a teensy bit lower, and to call is a miniature is overstating the case - a lot.

It's not our role to try to convince you to like something that simply isn't what you want. But if the new ring is SO close in appearance, and even more well made, if you don't like it at that point I think you have to move on to something different.

PS'ers can have a tendency to micro manage. I had a ring made recently by Steven Kirsch and, despite asking numerous times, he sent me NO progress photos and I didn't see the ring till it had been shipped. You may have wanted to be involved in every step of the process with DK, but with the uptick in volume of business he's getting these days - especially over the Christmas season - he may be pulling back from offering what so many jewelers simply don't.

Since you can't get your old ring back, consider going a completely different direction. It's possible you'll end up with something you like more.

Alexxxx

Rough_Rock
Trade
mrs-blop|1419571217|3807798 said:
Hi ooeemusic,

Obviously you were looking for something in particular, and you're the customer, so you need to get what you want. However, having said that...

I think the ring he's sent you is considerably more well made than the one you had, so you can't fault DK for that. He's straightened up the lines, there's better flow and, for my money, the original was overly high. This is your ring, of course, but I do think the improved workmanship is obvious.

And - having agreed that the new ring is lower, I agree with the posters who have said that it appears to only be a teensy bit lower, and to call is a miniature is overstating the case - a lot.

It's not our role to try to convince you to like something that simply isn't what you want. But if the new ring is SO close in appearance, and even more well made, if you don't like it at that point I think you have to move on to something different.

PS'ers can have a tendency to micro manage. I had a ring made recently by Steven Kirsch and, despite asking numerous times, he sent me NO progress photos and I didn't see the ring till it had been shipped. You may have wanted to be involved in every step of the process with DK, but with the uptick in volume of business he's getting these days - especially over the Christmas season - he may be pulling back from offering what so many jewelers simply don't.

Since you can't get your old ring back, consider going a completely different direction. It's possible you'll end up with something you like more.

I think this is just perfectly said overall, and yes to other jewelers not always sending updates either. I've worked with a couple of jewelers like Wink and Amcor- overall the experiences were very good, but they were not what I expected (as far as emails and follow up). I think it's just about understanding that life happens. I would purchase this ring from DK and if you decide you later want another totally different ring, you can scrap the gold towards a new setting. I think DK did a very nice job.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the new version is amazingly similar!!!!! Love it! The profile looks good to me. I like the new height.

(BTW - I use Cape Cod polishing cloths to remove scratches even bigger/deeper than at all the time!)

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
mrs-blop|1419571217|3807798 said:
Hi ooeemusic,

I'm not saying at all its not a better built ring. That is not at all my issue. But, I guess that maybe the size change is not very evident through pictures. It IS substantialsubstantially small. Not a tiny bit. I handed it to my sister in law yesterday without a word about what I thought of it, just for her to see., the first words out of her mouth were, "wow its so much smaller. It's like a very petite version if your ring."
If she can see that with no promptong AT ALL from me, it confirms for me that I am not exaggerating the size difference.

Alexxxx

Rough_Rock
Trade
Why don't you buy this ring from DK and have another vendor do a replica? You can choose the one that suits you best. Amcor, Wink, Engagement Rings Direct (sorry they have a new name I can't remember right now) and other vendors offer custom options. Then compare all of them, a couple ladies here have done that. If you are a bit more specific about details that seems like the best option. DK gave it the old college try but maybe its not what you had in mind- this seems like the best option for all parties? And you will get the BEST ring for you?

Wednesday

Rough_Rock
I agree with Gypsy's advice above.

I think I see what you are saying about the unevenness in channels and that would bother me, and seems to be a quality issue rather than a replica design issue. The scratch, too. And it is understandable that you'd be upset when a final cast was made after the original plan was to make some adjustments on which you could provide feedback.

I think the replica is very close and it is hard to see how it would be visually much smaller than your original, based on the profile pictures. It's a little lower, but still rather high. I am not sure if the prongs were bulkier on the original or if there is something in the band width that makes it look different.

It also sounds like you feel the difference in metal weight. This could be due to differences in manufacturing and not simply design, assuming the same metal/alloy was used for both. It is something that takes time to get used to.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would contact David, address your concerns and see if the ring can be redone, and make certain that you're kept included at every step this time so that nothing is cast without your approval. I do agree that the center stone is not as high as the original. That could be set higher. I, personally, would want it higher myself. I like high. I would want a happy medium between your original and the current height though. The original was realllly high.

And I do agree that you should've been shown things along the way. That should've been handled better. COMPLETELY agree with that.

And the scratch? Also--not acceptable at all. Not at all. THAT is easily fixed though.

However, there are things that you're pointing out in your post that are indicating that you DO want an EXACT replica that simply may not be possible. You might not even realize that, which is why people are saying things to you. I don't want you to be disappointed or upset. I have been where you are, so many times. I feel your frustration in your posts. :wavey: It is NOT comforting to have people barking at you that you need to just accept something that they see as beautiful in photos, when you know it's not right, and not what you wanted. Communicate with DK and get it worked out. I hope he can work with you for another attempt.

I think it's fantastic he was willing and able to reuse your gold. That might pose an issue with a redo.

tina sparkle

Shiny_Rock
Completely agree with Ame's thoughtful post. Hope it gets resolved to your satisfaction and you can love your ring again.

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
ame|1419611531|3807915 said:
I would contact David, address your concerns and see if the ring can be redone, and make certain that you're kept included at every step this time so that nothing is cast without your approval. I do agree that the center stone is not as high as the original. That could be set higher. I, personally, would want it higher myself. I like high. I would want a happy medium between your original and the current height though. The original was realllly high.

And I do agree that you should've been shown things along the way. That should've been handled better. COMPLETELY agree with that.

And the scratch? Also--not acceptable at all. Not at all. THAT is easily fixed though.

However, there are things that you're pointing out in your post that are indicating that you DO want an EXACT replica that simply may not be possible. You might not even realize that, which is why people are saying things to you. I don't want you to be disappointed or upset. I have been where you are, so many times. I feel your frustration in your posts. :wavey: It is NOT comforting to have people barking at you that you need to just accept something that they see as beautiful in photos, when you know it's not right, and not what you wanted. Communicate with DK and get it worked out. I hope he can work with you for another attempt.

I think it's fantastic he was willing and able to reuse your gold. That might pose an issue with a redo.

Thank you, Ame, that was a thoughtful post. And I do feel like people are just telling me I should just accept something I'm not happy with, and that I did not approve. Seems to defeat the whole point of "custom" to me, if I don't actually get the opportunity to say "how about we try this, or that, or the other thing."

To me it's like if I went to buy a car and I said, you know I'm torn between this model and that model, can you tell me more about this model and what about adding this to it, and the dealership just went and ordered it and then told me to suck it up and be happy about it. No one would be ok with that.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I think the scratch is bad and if you were told you were going to be shown waxes first ... yes, you should have.

Aside from all the obvious, we are just stating that the ring design itself looks very close to your original and we don't want you disappointed that it isn't the same.

I think buying a car and this situation is very different. Cars from a dealership aren't truly custom - they show you "samples" or pictures of samples and you pick from a menu of what you want. They place the order. If you were going for a custom car, where they are going to mix your paint or build pieces from scratch ... we don't really get to pick and choose. This is the same even with custom stained hardwood - they tell you ... what you get is what you get because we can't really predict the exact stain color. This is the nature of custom work unfortunately. People often get much closer to what they envisioned in their heads but rarely is it an exact replication ... without many rounds of changes, driving vendor/buyer crazy .. and eventually one giving up! I have been through it.

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
CharmyPoo|1419624108|3808000 said:
I think the scratch is bad and if you were told you were going to be shown waxes first ... yes, you should have.

Aside from all the obvious, we are just stating that the ring design itself looks very close to your original and we don't want you disappointed that it isn't the same.

I think buying a car and this situation is very different. Cars from a dealership aren't truly custom - they show you "samples" or pictures of samples and you pick from a menu of what you want. They place the order. If you were going for a custom car, where they are going to mix your paint or build pieces from scratch ... we don't really get to pick and choose. This is the same even with custom stained hardwood - they tell you ... what you get is what you get because we can't really predict the exact stain color. This is the nature of custom work unfortunately. People often get much closer to what they envisioned in their heads but rarely is it an exact replication ... without many rounds of changes, driving vendor/buyer crazy .. and eventually one giving up! I have been through it.

That's not what I meant about the car parallel. I meant, if you were working with a sales person and expressed that you were not sure about something, and wanted to discuss it more and then they went ahead and ordered it when you hadn't given the go ahead and it ended up being not want you wanted, no one would be saying just deal with it.

LindyLoooo

Rough_Rock
I think people are just trying to help balance the conversation. You're presenting your point of view, but it's good to consider both perspectives. David tried to make you a lovely ring; like cars, rings don't just appear - I'm sure David Klass spent a good deal of time and money trying to make you something you love.

Returning jewelry (especially custom) often comes with a hefty price tag, unlike most jewelers David Klass is really nice about revising designs and charging just barely whatever covers their costs of a redo. Most jewelers don't work at cost, it's crazy nice. But again it's a balance. If you spend more of your (and David's money) redoing a ring people are just trying to be nice and say that it will not be a CLONE. Whoever said that even the SAME vendor may not be ablue to make the SAME ring identically twice nailed it.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
ooeemusic|1419622994|3807991 said:
ame|1419611531|3807915 said:

Thank you, Ame, that was a thoughtful post. And I do feel like people are just telling me I should just accept something I'm not happy with, and that I did not approve. Seems to defeat the whole point of "custom" to me, if I don't actually get the opportunity to say "how about we try this, or that, or the other thing."

To me it's like if I went to buy a car and I said, you know I'm torn between this model and that model, can you tell me more about this model and what about adding this to it, and the dealership just went and ordered it and then told me to suck it up and be happy about it. No one would be ok with that.
Precisely. And as someone who literally DID just order a car, thankfully getting exactly what she wanted with no surprises...I appreciate that parallel. Though in your case, you got the surprise.

The biggest concern you might run into with a redo is the reuse of your metal. That's been refined for this remake, and I wonder if he'll be able to do that again. That was magnificent that it worked out so well. I hope it will again. The ultimate end-goal is the final look of the piece being what you're expecting, so I hope there's a way to make that work. I hope that this time around he's able to take it slower and include you more in each step. I am curious if he moved along without your involvement in hopes he could get it to you by Christmas. That's very possible. Doesn't excuse it, but it is possible. This will just take longer, and hopefully be well worth it.

I really hope you get exactly what you want this time around so that you can have a ring you love, made right, and sans disappointment. Been there too many times. It makes you feel totally jinxed and exhausts you. You know full well this is a luxury item, but it's still an important luxury item to you, wrapped up with a lot of sentiment and emotion.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ooeemusic -

Just to clarify - the stones that you gave DK from your original ring are in the remake, correct? If so, then that means that, if it's smaller, it's a decrease only in metal. Since most women are very hard line about wanting to focus on the stones and to keep the metal to a minimum, I can imagine DK thinking he was on the right track with this.

You've said a number of times that whether the workmanship in the new ring is an improvement or not is not the issue you have; the issue is whether it's exactly the same as the previous ring or exactly what you asked for - or not.

But I think it's worth asking the question, DO you think the DK ring is better made than your original? In being different, maybe it's been hard for you to work out if you like the new one better or not. Put aside the idea of them being different, and ask yourself which one you prefer.

And it may be smaller than the original. But with a style so very closely replicated, and with the same stones that were in the previous ring, it can only be a very little smaller. Perhaps the decrease in metal is striking to you, but truth be told, I can only see a tiny difference, and the difference I can see, I prefer.

As for not getting the waxes - I understand your disappointment. If you were told you'd get them, then you should have been given them. But since you weren't, the question now is - where do you go from here? Just because a piece is custom doesn't mean you get to have the jeweler make and remake a ring for you endlessly. Supposedly you agree on a style and go from there. Yes, you should have received the wax models beforehand (and obviously that scratch needs to go). But, since we can't re-write history, do you think the waxes would have looked so markedly different from the original - or from the finished product? Since the previous ring and the finished ring are so similar, I doubt the waxes would have shown you any significant deviation from what you wanted or what you received.

Since I prefer a lighter, more delicate ring, I'd be leaving your ring as is and would be thrilled with the changes. But if you prefer a chunkier style, then your only option is to have it remade. But I would encourage you to figure out which style you prefer. If your unhappiness with the non-appearance of the waxes is your issue, then the final ring isn't really the problem. But if you DO prefer the final ring and think the workmanship actually is better, I'd cut my losses and move on.

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
But I think it's worth asking the question, DO you think the DK ring is better made than your original? In being different, maybe it's been hard for you to work out if you like the new one better or not. Put aside the idea of them being different, and ask yourself which one you prefer.
I think the side stones are more secure, but the rest of the ring, I do not feel like it's better than the original. The other ring I had no fear about wearing daily because it was substantial on my hand. This one is not, it's dainty, and that feels fragile to me

As for not getting the waxes - I understand your disappointment. If you were told you'd get them, then you should have been given them. But since you weren't, the question now is - where do you go from here? Just because a piece is custom doesn't mean you get to have the jeweler make and remake a ring for you endlessly.
I'm not asking for that.

Supposedly you agree on a style and go from there. Yes, you should have received the wax models beforehand (and obviously that scratch needs to go). But, since we can't re-write history, do you think the waxes would have looked so markedly different from the original - or from the finished product?
I actually do think I would have been able to see the difference because in the one test casting he did send me a picture of, I noted the differences that I'm now talking about, and asked for his opinion on a couple of changes, and then didn't receive anything further from him except to say it was done.

Since I prefer a lighter, more delicate ring, I'd be leaving your ring as is and would be thrilled with the changes. But if you prefer a chunkier style, then your only option is to have it remade. But I would encourage you to figure out which style you prefer. If your unhappiness with the non-appearance of the waxes is your issue, then the final ring isn't really the problem. But if you DO prefer the final ring and think the workmanship actually is better, I'd cut my losses and move on.

I do prefer the chunkier style, and I told him that way back in the beginning, that what I wanted was a chunky ring, because that is what I feel secure with, and the chunky style is always what has appealed to me

Edit because the "bold" button doesn't like me :wall:

Alexxxx

Rough_Rock
Trade
How many grams of gold is this ring?

I've always loved this smiley by the way hehehe, " :wall: ". Anyways, back to topic sorry.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you addressed ANY of this with DK directly yet and if so, what did he say? You clearly are not satisfied with the ring and/or process and that's probably not going to change by continuing to hammer it out on here, and it's not really fair to keep bashing the process (and in turn his reputation) without looping him into your concerns, so your only recourse at this point in all fairness is to give DK an opportunity to address the finished piece, your concerns with it, and come to a mutually agreeable resolution/next steps.

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
Alexxxx|1419629126|3808060 said:
How many grams of gold is this ring?

I've always loved this smiley by the way hehehe, " :wall: ". Anyways, back to topic sorry.

He said in his email that it was 3.4 grams? I think that was the finished ring with the stones set though, not just the gold.

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
JoCoJenn|1419629253|3808062 said:
Have you addressed ANY of this with DK directly yet and if so, what did he say? You clearly are not satisfied with the ring and/or process and that's probably not going to change by continuing to hammer it out on here, and it's not really fair to keep bashing the process (and in turn his reputation) without looping him into your concerns, so your only recourse at this point in all fairness is to give DK an opportunity to address the finished piece, your concerns with it, and come to a mutually agreeable resolution/next steps.

I am working on an email to him now, I got it on Christmas eve and wasn't going to bother him late in the day on Christmas Eve and obviously on Christmas either. I may wait until Monday to send it because It is the holiday season, and I know I wouldn't want to be peppered with question today.

Alexxxx

Rough_Rock
Trade
I'm pretty sure it's 3.4 grams of just gold. Like 99.9% sure looking at your ring. My ring e-ring was 1.78 grams and made by a vendor here (not DK) I wore it daily for a LONG time lugging stuff around, doing stuff around the house. Not a thing happened to it.

I have a point lol. My point is your ring is very structurally sound, don't worry about that. It's almost twice the gold weight of my previous ring that was very structurally sound. BUT you have to like it and it this point I think you need to email DK and after he gets back from the holidays you guys can figure out what to do.

EDIT: just saw your reply. If they're not in the office they won't be bothered because they won't see the email until they get back I guess? Don't stress, email away :) If it's after New Years or whenever people are back to work then you can get to work fixing this.

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
I actually think he checks his email even when he isn't in the office. I sent him a couple of pictures the day before Thanksgiving and he responded to me on thanksgiving. So I'll probably just compose the email and not send it until Monday :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results