shape
carat
color
clarity

When you see a person who is sporting a lot..

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
of jewelry do you think that she/he is showing off their wealth?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It depends.

Being on PS of course, has raised the bar on what it means to wear "a lot of jewelry."

But I do think that a large number very showy pieces coupled with a high tcw can give that impression, unless it is appropriate for the event/function.

I don't think someone with a single 4 carat stone plus a pair of decent sized studs as showing off their wealth. I just think "wonder if there's a way to get a better look at that".

But I have seen, rarely, women who are wearing very showy pieces. A large Cartier watched, paired with two or more very large showy rings, plus a pendant and earrings... and then, yeah I do think they're blinged out more than my Christmas tree on its best day... especially since they are just shopping at Nordstrom for bras.

But like I said, my definition of "a lot of jewelry" means double digits in terms of carats. My close friends routinely wear what your average person would call 'a lot of jewelry' and I KNOW they aren't doing it to display their wealth. They just like diamonds.

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
No. Where I live it's just the opposite. I mostly see multiple 9ct gold rings with synthetic stones per finger, sometimes on four fingers per hand. They may be trying to show off with something, but it just shows that they look cheap and tacky.

I have a good friend in Australia who wears multiple thick 9ct gold chains around her neck with multiple pendants that neither fit the chains nor suit them, but she thinks they look good. I once asked her why she didn't sell those and invest in one good pendant and she looked at me like I was nuts.

Then again, this is the same person who insists that her clearly synthetic emerald ring is real, soooo... I think the moral of the story is that PS has turned me into a snob!

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
I have only seen vast displays of wealth in certain parts of NYC, Las Vegas and the Dallas area where I lived for several years on older women in all locations. These women had an individual style that extended to their jewelry. It didn't seem as though they were wearing the jewelry or high end items to show off. Well, some of the women in Vegas may have been trying to show off IMO. Who knows though.

I never really gave it a second thought other than to think what a nice piece of jewelry, bag, car etc... if there is an item that stands out to me. Good for them. If they can afford it or if they inherited it - great. Doesn't really affect me one way or the other.

People don't wear much jewelry or have great fashion sensibilities where I live now- bleh.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't care for wearing a lot of jewelry at once. If someone is wearing beautiful pieces then I think ooh gorgeous. If someone is wearing too much jewelry and what I might consider gaudy then that is what I think. I don't automatically think someone is wealthy or poor by what jewelry they are wearing. In other words I rarely (at least I try not to) judge a book by its cover as looks can be and usually are deceiving.

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1419408630|3807149 said:
I don't think someone with a single 4 carat stone plus a pair of decent sized studs as showing off their wealth. I just think "wonder if there's a way to get a better look at that".

This.

Um, can I come closer to you, please? lol.

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
CRYSTAL24K|1419417609|3807170 said:
I have only seen vast displays of wealth in certain parts of NYC, Las Vegas and the Dallas area where I lived for several years on older women in all locations. These women had an individual style that extended to their jewelry. It didn't seem as though they were wearing the jewelry or high end items to show off. Well, some of the women in Vegas may have been trying to show off IMO. Who knows though.

I never really gave it a second thought other than to think what a nice piece of jewelry, bag, car etc... if there is an item that stands out to me. Good for them. If they can afford it or if they inherited it - great. Doesn't really affect me one way or the other.

People don't wear much jewelry or have great fashion sensibilities where I live now- bleh.

I can't wait to be one of those older ladies!!! Small and dainty is all fine and well on small, dainty people, but I'm LOUD and have a big personality and think larger stones offset this better. ;-) I firmly believe that as long as a piece is of good quality, MORE is MORE!

Unfortunately I'm only 30 and can't afford the look I hope to achieve, neither financially nor style-wise. Somehow the things you can get away with at 60 just don't work when you're 30!

I can totally see myself age 60+ rocking a ring with edge to edge finger coverage on each hand, diamond drops or better yet, chandelearrings, a blingy watch and multiple tennis and DBTY bracelets on each arm, fending off stares and snide comments with, "why yes, I do hope to resemble a Christmas tree, how very kind of you to notice!" :D

If I don't look like I'm wearing the GDP of a small country, it's a total fail.

Must. Work. Harder.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="Trekkie|

I can totally see myself age 60+ rocking a ring with edge to edge finger coverage on each hand, diamond drops or better yet, chandelearrings, a blingy watch and multiple tennis and DBTY bracelets on each arm, fending off stares and snide comments with, "why yes, I do hope to resemble a Christmas tree, how very kind of you to notice!" :D

If I don't look like I'm wearing the GDP of a small country, it's a total fail.

Must. Work. Harder.[/quote]

:lol:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I see someone sporting a lot of jewelry, I think they are showing off their jewelry in the sense that they like their jewelry and like to wear a lot of it -- whether I personally think it looks good depends on their whole look, head to foot, and their attitude or personality. I know plenty of people who are over the top sartorially speaking and jewelry is often worn the same way - "more is better" - who am I to argue?! Mostly I am so appreciative when I see beautiful jewelry worn well - and this includes a very dear aunt who adored wearing many rings, bracelets and necklaces at once.

That said, I've come across show-offs before, and for most of them, their "look at me and my tres expensive stuff" attitude is obvious even without jewelry.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Depends on the jewelry. If it's high quality and/or designer brands, then obviously, there's a correlation between the jewelry and the funds required to purchase it. To say that it's just about a love of jewelry is not entirely accurate because a love of anything can be limited by budget :lol: ;-)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Depends on what a lot is. What I tend to think of as "flaunting wealth" is driving a flashy high end car, wearing head to toe designer, piled on bling in a ridiculous and loud manner. Name dropping the brands, etc. But I also tend to find that to be "fleeting wealth". REAL money might have a really nice vehicle and designer attire, and great jewels, but does it in a more subtle manner and more gracefully.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Truthfully, I see many people wearing what looks like a diamond, but I am usually unsure, so I just say nice ring or earrings. I don't care how much they wear. I actually think people wear what they like and aren't flaunting .

There was a young, lovely looking teller at my bank who had on what looked l;ike a nice sized diamond on each hand, and a pendant with a nice sized stone as well. She had to take me to my safe deposit box, and so I asked her if they were real.(nervy aren't I) She was so thrilled to tell me all about them. One was her engagement ring, the other, she saved for, and I forgot the rest. She looked beautiful, even at her job as a teller. She wasn't showing off, she loved them.

I go to Vegas, and I love to see the bling. I love to see the outfits with sparkle, and I guess I really don't care if the stones people are wearing are real or not. I wear a jean jacket with rhinestones, and a watch from Heidi Daus with swarwarski crystals glowing from it, and
just enjoy it all.

If you own it, wear it, where ever you can. A woman on the colored stone board said she wears her jewelry to Walmart.

Annette

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL, I'm with the PSers who are trying to sidle up for a closer look/admiration. I never say anything but that's because I reserve my 'talking to strangers in public' to trying to find a good hair stylist!!!

I live near Scottsdale, Arizona, and when I'm at the mall there I see amazing jewelry and plastic surgery!!!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mum once said if one wears a lot of jewellery, fine clothes and accessories, it does not automatically mean one has a lot of money, as one could have bought everything on credit and is heavily in debt.

DK :))

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
No. And I really don't care if they are wearing a lot or a little. Anyone who wears a lot (high quality or low), can be fun to ogle at, I'm curious about what other ppl's tastes in jewelry.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1419442797|3807313 said:
LOL, I'm with the PSers who are trying to sidle up for a closer look/admiration. I never say anything but that's because I reserve my 'talking to strangers in public' to trying to find a good hair stylist!!!

I live near Scottsdale, Arizona, and when I'm at the mall there I see amazing jewelry and plastic surgery!!!

This post is too funny. I usually just think they love their jewerly. I tend to like the classic look Gypsy was describing rather than the Christmass tree look. Hey, I personally feel people should do what makes them happy. As for wealth, you can't judge anything anymore. I have known women with beautiful jewelry, homes, cars and clothes who are so far in debt they won't ever recover. I've also known people with modest homes, jewelry, cars and clothing that will never worry a day in their life due to their financial status.

Kristie, I've been to those Scottsdale malls and seen the amazing jewelry. If you see someone with exceptional plastic surgery, can you get their doctors number for me? :naughty:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Calliecake|1419451285|3807370 said:
As for wealth, you can't judge anything anymore. I have known women with beautiful jewelry, homes, cars and clothes who are so far in debt they won't ever recover. I've also known people with modest homes, jewelry, cars and clothing that will never worry a day in their life due to their financial status

This is VERY true in the SF Bay Area.

You have to be REALLY careful out here. Forget modest, a lot of REALLY (and I mean seriously and truly incredibly) wealthy people out here dress like homeless people.

Especially in the North Bay area, but it happens everywhere around here. Some of the wealthiest people out here make you want to take them to the nearest soup kitchen and feed them.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have been known to embarrass my poor wife and children by walking up to total strangers and complimenting them on their jewelry. That way I can openly look at it and often end up in wonderful conversations.

Of course once in a while I am looked at like a serial killer and see my complimentee scurrying away like a salmon swimming away from a bear.

Either way, I have enjoyed myself...

Wink

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wink|1419454209|3807394 said:
Of course once in a while I am looked at like a serial killer and see my complimentee scurrying away like a salmon swimming away from a bear.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Not really, I just assume they enjoy jewellery. That said, where I live, the very wealthy people don't tend to wear anything beyond a yellow gold wedding band or signet ring. Maybe some pearls. I probably do wear a lot, compared to my friends at work, for example. It has been commented on a few times. What the heck. I like my shiny stuff. Each piece means something special to me. :bigsmile:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
No. I would just assume they like to wear pretty things. I feel "sorry" for my rings, like they have feelings, if they're sitting too long. We very rarely go anywhere other than work or the grocery store, so when we do, I wear my rings. Granted, I don't have many right now, but if I had bands/rings for each of the six fingers I like to wear them on, I would do it. Why else have them unless you're going to wear them and enjoy them?

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1419442797| 3807313 said:

This post is too funny. I usually just think they love their jewerly. I tend to like the classic look Gypsy was describing rather than the Christmass tree look. Hey, I personally feel people should do what makes them happy. As for wealth, you can't judge anything anymore. I have known women with beautiful jewelry, homes, cars and clothes who are so far in debt they won't ever recover. I've also known people with modest homes, jewelry, cars and clothing that will never worry a day in their life due to their financial status.

Kristie, I've been to those Scottsdale malls and seen the amazing jewelry. If you see someone with exceptional plastic surgery, can you get their doctors number for me? :naughty:

Haha, Callie, I'll get the phone numbers and we can get a volume/group discount!!! When we lived in Anchorage I used to come to AZ to visit the parental units. First 2 days I spent at Scottsdale Fashion Center Nordies and Neiman, would always have a good make up/over. Those high-end make up babes knew who to go to for the very best plastic surgery!!! They saw the before and after and level of scarring. :praise:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1419406315|3807136 said:
What's a lot?

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think as long as it is done tastefully and brings enjoyment to the wearer, why not?! :))

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where I live they would have to be wearing an awful lot!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ironically, no I just think they must enjoy jewelry and wearing jewelry. Two main places I lived, the midwest pple are generally conservative how they dress, but may show their social-economic situation by house, pedigreed dog, and vehicle. Where I live now, the same (except the dog is usually rescue). So the people who wear jewelry of whatever shape and form, do it because they enjoy it.
I have an artistic friend who dresses bohemian, except for a very nice diamond ring (she is not married). She wears the ring because it is her deceased mother's and it is a connection to her. So I never presume why someone wears a particular piece.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1419451825|3807373 said:
As for wealth, you can't judge anything anymore. I have known women with beautiful jewelry, homes, cars and clothes who are so far in debt they won't ever recover. I've also known people with modest homes, jewelry, cars and clothing that will never worry a day in their life due to their financial status

This is VERY true in the SF Bay Area.

You have to be REALLY careful out here. Forget modest, a lot of REALLY (and I mean seriously and truly incredibly) wealthy people out here dress like homeless people.

Especially in the North Bay area, but it happens everywhere around here. Some of the wealthiest people out here make you want to take them to the nearest soup kitchen and feed them.

This sounds really true of the liberal arts college I went to. All the students wore flannels and jeans, and if they didn't they did after the 2nd semester. You were also not supposed to bring cars, and if so the car had to be under a certain price (I can't remember exactly) so no designer duds or bags or expensive cars, no way to tell who was wealthy and whose mother was homeless.
I realized that when I was hanging out with a friend and started teasing him because the new dorm they were building had his last name, and he started blushing. That's when I realized his family had funded the building.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1419406315|3807136 said:

What constitutes "a lot"?

If someone looks like a Real Housewife . . . yes.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results