shape
carat
color
clarity

ASET images for stud earrings

CaliforniaBear

Rough_Rock
Hello,

Please advise me as to the best pair in this set. I'm looking for stones for princess cut stud earrings, 1.1 to 1.2 total carat weight, to be set in 18k white gold. I have two pairs selected for me at James Allen and at Whiteflash, two vendors I've narrowed down to based on what I've read here.

First, the James Allen pair:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/0.54-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-sku-365982
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/0.57-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-sku-357404

The first is 0.54 / G / VS1.
The second is 0.57 / H / VS1.

Second, the Whiteflash pair:

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-3036242.htm
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-3097218.htm

The first in this pair is 0.585 / E / SI1 / A Cut Above.
The second in this pair is 0.606 / E / SI1 / A Cut Above.

The Whiteflash is about $300-400 more expensive and slightly bigger and better color grade, though lower clarity.

My questions:
1) I presume the size differences here don't matter, nor do the clarity and color. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
2) Which pair will yield greater fire and brilliance?

Thanks.

_309.jpeg

_310.jpeg

_25524.jpg

_25525.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are they all eyeclean?

I don't really think the faceting is going to be a match with the JA ones.

CaliforniaBear

Rough_Rock
Yes, I'm told they're all eye clean. That's what's indicated on the Whiteflash site, and the JA ones are VS1 so I presume so?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The WF ones are a better match. The JA stones are not good matches to each other at all. So it is by default the WF ones for me.

CaliforniaBear

Rough_Rock
Gypsy, thank you for your comments.

Do you think the WF stones look good?

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock
The WF stones look better. Did you inquire with BG at all?

CaliforniaBear

Rough_Rock
two_little_birds, thanks - I did a search on Brian Gavin but I didn't see much to choose from (only two stones even close, and smaller than what I want to buy right now).

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock
CaliforniaBear|1419388788|3806935 said:
two_little_birds, thanks - I did a search on Brian Gavin but I didn't see much to choose from (only two stones even close, and smaller than what I want to buy right now).

You can always call or e-mail them as well. It's Christmas so selection right now is limited everywhere.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Between those two pairs, I also prefer the WF - but personally I still might look further or wait for more selection, as I am persnickety and the table difference in the WF pair would likely bother me (64% and 69%).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
They don't have a lot of loose princesses. But they do, I think have pre-set studs.

Do you want/need an upgrade policy?

CaliforniaBear

Rough_Rock
An upgrade is probably not going to happen, so I don't need that.

I'm surprised you're all looking if the two match so closely. These are going to be on different ears and ostensibly different lighting. Does it matter all that much?

I have to admit I'm more confused now than when I started :(sad

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aww.

Yes, they are on different ears. But in case you want to re-sell them or whatever it's nice to have studs that actually match one another well.

And the second JA stone is a bit of a dud, honestly.

Does the wearer specifically want princess studs?

CaliforniaBear

Rough_Rock
Yes, she is interested specifically in princess studs - though she's not all that picky overall and is concerned that I'm obsessing over details rather than just completing the purchase 8)

So I don't want to belabor this too long. To give you the whole saga - this started with buying 1.2 ct weight princess studs from Costco (I color, VS2), and not being super impressed post-purchase, and then doing the research that brings me here.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I guess I'm confused. You asked which pair to get. We said the WF pair. And told you why. Doesn't that answer your question?

CaliforniaBear

Rough_Rock
Yes, that answers my question. Sorry if I wasn't clear. Until your last reply it wasn't clear to me that you thought the JA pair were inadequate, not just not preferred.

Thank you all for the help. I appreciate it very much.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The WF pair are:

Higher color.
Slightly larger.
And a better match for each other.
And the JA ones, while one stone is a lovely performer, the other is A) not a match and B) a bit of a dud.

Overall... better.

So, yeah. You are good. ;))

Sorry I wasn't clear before.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results