shape
carat
color
clarity

WF 3-stone: Trellis vs Butterfly

ppuff211

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I'm changing my engagement ring and would love to get everyone's thoughts on Whiteflash's 3-stone trellis vs butterfly rings. Both are gorgeous settings, and I love everyone's photos from PS. The stones I'll be using are 1.25ct center and .40ct for each of the side stones. I can't decide between the trellis and butterfly. If it helps, my wedding band is a half-eternity band 13 little diamonds in it.

Thank you so much for your advice!

ppuff211

Rough_Rock
Oh, I forgot to mention my ring size is 4.75, in case that has any bearing on deciding between the two settings. :)

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Butterfly hands down.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Agreed. I like that center 6 prong a great deal!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Butterfly, no question. It's so fluid and graceful.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1419295923|3806134 said:
Butterfly, no question. It's so fluid and graceful.

Another butterfly vote. Very beautiful and elegant.

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
+1 for the butterfly, so fluid and graceful. Your center stone is large enough for a 6 prong :love:

lioness

Brilliant_Rock
Trellis. The profile view is cleaner, less busy than the Butterfly.

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Another vote for the butterfly!

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I love the Butterfly! :love:

SapphireStyle

Shiny_Rock
I recently went through the same debate. Initially I thought I wanted the butterfly setting, but in the end I went with the trellis because I found six prongs too busy on my stone. I like to view my sapphire from the side. I think both settings are beautiful though and you can't really go wrong.

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock
Another vote for butterfly!

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
lioness|1419303678|3806229 said:
Trellis. The profile view is cleaner, less busy than the Butterfly.

Another vote for the Trellis.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I prefer the butterfly but I think with the sized stones you have 6 prongs on the center is too much, so in this case I vote trellis.

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
I am mad for the butterfly!! So pretty!

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
I really like the butterfly too! Very elegant!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the trellis due to the proportions of your potential 3 stone ring.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
I have the butterfly and love it! I did make many, many rounds of tweaks from their initial CAD. They are so kind and helpful - don't be afraid to request changes to get the look you want.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trellis. Cleaner, more classic look IMO.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trellis!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
WHat is your eternity like- trellis or u pronged? would you like it to be matching to the eternity?

Based on the 2- i would choose the butterfly sue to the elegance/ fluidity it gives to the ring.
However, i think Gypsy made the comment about the size of the centre stone with 6 prongs v 4. Can you verify the centre stone size on the pics on WF? Is it the same as you centre size?

I do love Woofmamma's suggestiong on the BG truth setting for the purposes that it exposes so much more of the diamond for the amount of light that will be enter it.

But: a lot will depend on what the setting of your 1/2 eternity. DO you have pics of that? that way we all can have a better idea of what / how it is all going to work together.

ppuff211

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! Thank you so much for your opinions. They are all excellent points and highlight exactly what I'm struggling with...

I love the swoopy lines of the butterfly but am not sure whether all that metal would overcrowd my 1.26ct center stone. I've asked about the center stone sizes in WF's stock photos of the butterflies & trellis settings and am waiting to hear back. Re: trellis, I do like that the profile is more open, showing more of the stone.

Re: my wedding band, I want to say it's kind of u-pronged, but I'm not sure. Although I would prefer a plain wedding band to pair with my new 3-stone engagement ring, I am keeping my wedding band as-is for sentimental reasons. I might add a thin, plain spacer depending on how everything looks/fits together in person.

I've attached a photo of my wedding & engagement rings for your reference.

After reading (and taking into careful consideration) everyone's thoughts, I'm afraid I'm still not any closer to deciding between the 2 WF settings!

_25539.jpg

_25540.jpg

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Thanx for posting the pics. It helps me with my opinion. I originally stated the butterfly. With these new pics I have changed to the Trellis for sure. It flows better with your eternity. The butterfly, in my opinion would be too out of character of the set. A thin spacer is a good idea.

You can always change the eternity setting to match the trellis at a later stage- anniversary of some description? Lol

ppuff211

Rough_Rock
gregchang35|1419426758|3807214 said:
Thanx for posting the pics. It helps me with my opinion. I originally stated the butterfly. With these new pics I have changed to the Trellis for sure. It flows better with your eternity. The butterfly, in my opinion would be too out of character of the set. A thin spacer is a good idea.

You can always change the eternity setting to match the trellis at a later stage- anniversary of some description? Lol

Thanks Greg. Very good point about the trellis probably flowing better with my wedding band. Ah, I do love that butterflies setting so much though! .... Although I obviously wouldn't want it to clash with my wedding band. I will definitely be keeping the wedding band for sentimental reasons, and not changing it in the future. I also already have a 5-stone RHR, so no chance of wearing my wedding band on the right hand.

Anyone else able to chime in about which setting would look better with my wedding band? Thanks so much, everyone!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Although I love the Butterfly, it may look a little busy with all those prongs on your center stone. The Trellis is very classic, and I think it will showcase your center stone more so than if it had 6 prongs. That said, the BG Truth 3 stone is TO. DIE. FOR. :love:

I don't think there is really a right or wrong answer... If I were you, I'd just go to local jewelry store and try some on. I know they'll have something similar to the trellis, but I don't know about the butterfly style. Maybe they'd have a six prong center??

Can't wait to see what you choose!! Good Luck! :wavey:

ppuff211

Rough_Rock
Thank you, everyone! The more I obsess about the setting, the more things I think of/consider. :) Seeing the different options out there, I think I prefer the 3-prongs on the side stones. But the band on the WF trellis is thicker than I like. So maybe it's back to the drawing board..... will scour the trusted WF vendors and might be back looking for some more opinions :)

ppuff211

Rough_Rock
OK, I'm back with more to consider! A huge "thank you" again to everyone who has offered their input thus far. I went to bed last night thinking I was for sure getting the WF Butterfly... woke up thinking the WF Trellis might be a better pairing with my wedding band... but now am also considering a couple BGD trellis settings (more on that below).

I also went to a local jewelry store today. They only had a few trellis-style 3-stone rings, and the curves/workmanship were not as nice as the images I've seen on WF/BGD/PS. The in-store visit did, however, confirm that I love the way the .40/1.26/.40ct trio looks on my finger.

I'm now considering these three styles. As you can probably tell, I really love the trellis style settings. :)

BGD Trellis: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/three-stone-trellis-platinum-5376p
BGD Crossed Trellis: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/crossed-trellis-platinum-5460p
WF Trellis: http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/3-stone-trellis-diamond-engagement-ring-1027.htm

My wedding band is probably around (or just slightly narrower than) 2.5mm. I've attached a photo from my jewelry store visit today, to give a general idea of the stone proportions w/wedding band on my finger. The stones in this setting are set further apart than I want.

Of these 3 options, which do you prefer? Or is there another trellis setting out there I should look at?

Thank you, all! Your thoughts have been invaluable! And as this will be my only time changing my engagement ring, I want it to be absolutely perfect. :)

_25546.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ppuff211|1419458080|3807416 said:
I'm now considering these three styles. As you can probably tell, I really love the trellis style settings. :)

BGD Trellis: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/three-stone-trellis-platinum-5376p
BGD Crossed Trellis: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/crossed-trellis-platinum-5460p

Oh, I'm so glad you're considering the BG settings!!! :cheeky: :love:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/three-stone-trellis-platinum-5376p
What I love about this one is that the prongs make the diamonds appear larger. This gives it the more traditional 3 stone look that I :love: The additional prongs will also make the side stones more secure.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/crossed-trellis-platinum-5460p
I love the gallery and the side profile. The single prongs on both side stones give it a more delicate look. I like the top view, but I prefer that of the 4 pronged 3 stone much better.

(for some reason I wasn't feeling the WF setting at all... :| )

It all comes down to what you like (a lot of help I am, I know...) :shifty: Which design aspects appeal to you more and why? :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results