shape
carat
color
clarity

Cat has ringworm...

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So my cat had some allergies that got really out of control when I took him home and had to get put on steroids for a little while until they got sorted out (which they are, thank goodness - it was just a food allergy and it was no big deal to just switch back his food). So his immune system was suppressed from the steroids and he ended up with a ringworm infection. Which I didn't notice for a while because the main symptom of his allergies was him scratching himself, so I thought it was more of that - but then his skin started looking super weird and I was like "gee, that seems abnormal, I'll take him back to the vet." So. Ringworm.

He's been getting the oral medication and the ointment put on him both two times a day since thursday. Poor dude! I've confined him to a bathroom because I don't want it spreading to me or my husband or - god forbid - the dog. The whole house except the bathrooms has hardwood floors and lots of cloth bits between furniture and blankets and whatnot, and I have washed EVERYTHING but apparently only bleach is super-effective at destroying the spores of the ringworm varieties that cats and dogs get? So I have no idea if my cleaning actually has done much good, since I can't very well bleach my hardwood floors or the chairs. I have bought an antifungal rinse for the laundry, and we have a vacuum with a hepa filter (I don't even know what that means but the internet assures me it's important) so I vacuumed everything down a few times and now vacuum the bathroom the cat is in every day. Poor little guy doesn't understand why he's stuck in there. I feel so bad for him, but I don't want him scattering fungal spores all over the whole house. :(sad

Anyway, all of the stories I found through google of people's cats having ringworm were like "it's horrible, I have ONE MILLION ringworm spots on me, all my other pets have ringworm, my spouse/children have ringworm, and this has been going on for months!" So. Um. I am hoping that this is a case of the extreme examples floating to the top of the google search results??? Someone reassure me please! Have any of you had ringworm on a pet before and how did you deal with it?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And pictures because cat.

The picture the rescue posted of him on petfinder:
rescue.jpg
Haha, I looked at that picture and was like "THIS CAT LOOKS SO PISSED OFF YES, I WANT THIS ONE." A sentiment with which all my cat-person friends agreed. Of course it just turns out he's the friendliest cat EVER and wants to follow me around and sit at my feet and sleep across my knees at night and all the stuff I didn't think actual cats actually did anywhere outside of my wildest dreams.

Glamour shot (you can see a little of the stuff on his forehead - this was when I started keeping a close eye on what was going on because it started looking dodgy - this is still more or less what he looks like but he doesn't have hair on the backs of his ears right now and the washes turn his white parts yellowy):
img_1861glam.jpg

I read about these Square Cat Habitat scratchers on Pricescope a couple years ago and bookmarked the page in case I ever got a cat. Little dude only likes scratching on flat-to-the-floor surfaces and carpet, so these are working amazingly for him when all the scratchers I got from the pet store got ignored (as my mother says, "That jewelry forum sure has a lot of good advice on everything ever!):
scratchy.jpg

He has beautiful eyes (I took this picture like the second day I had him so he's really freaked out in it):
img_0599_1.jpg

This dresser used to have my vintage Barbie collection on it, but the cat has claimed it for his very own:
talldresser.jpg

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't have any experience with ringworm...

but your kitty is absolutely gorgeous!! Awwwwwwwww

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I don't have any personal experience with ringworm, but I do know that it is highly contagious/easily spread. The spores can live for well over a year in some cases. I think that there are some air purifiers on the market that help and what about a steam mop for your hardwood floors? I have a steam mop that works great, but I'm not 100% certain that it would kill ringworm - perhaps someone else can chime in?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Distracts, Your baby is beautiful! I would ask the vet. I'm sure they have had experience with ringworm and would probably know what you should do. My dog had something when we first got her that in some cases can be spread to humans and the vet told me what to do to make sure we were safe. I remember washing everything with strong bleach everyday until she got the all clear from her doctor.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Distracts, your kittie is so gorgeous. What a lucky boy he is that you rescued him in spite of that pissed off picture! ::) How cute that he's actually a love bug.

And your mom is right, this forum is the best for everything ever! (just a few days ago, I also ordered that scratcher! I can't wait to get it).

I donn't know anything about ringworm, but I had to just chime in with all that! (ETA I should have added that I hope he recovers quickly and that it's as easy on you and your family as possible...I hope you'll keep us posted).

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful cat! Love the personality that just shows in all the pictures :))

We use a really great filter for our forced air system. Ot is the 1900 micro-allergen from 3M. Claims to catch things as small as even viruses and smells and it really seems to do that.

Also, look at strong vinegar or lemon juice for cleaning. I think the vinegar is your best choice but maybe run it past your vet. It used to be used all over for cleaning and is still recommended for a lot of stuff. You can also toss it in the washer (but I don't know how effective it would be that dilute).

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1419356147|3806507 said:
A) gorgeous cat.
B) I am SO SORRY. Ringworm is a special kind of hell. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/suggestions-my-new-love-has-ringworm.198151/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/suggestions-my-new-love-has-ringworm.198151/[/URL] Here's a previous post about ringworm that should be helpful.

I really am sorry.

Thank you, Gypsy. I didn't think to do a search on here.

So far no one else has gotten it - I have a patch that MAY be ringworm but I'm just putting an antifungal on it daily. It might just be dry skin because it's winter and I often get dry skin patches. My dad is an infectious diseases doctor and couldn't tell if it was anything so it would need to be cultured to know for sure, and I'm not paying to culture it when I can just put the antifungal on it. If I get any more I'll go to the doctor for oral medication.

I think I'm doing all the stuff the thread suggested - cat is quarantined in a bathroom and is just visited twice a day, each time I strip my clothes off immediately and put them in a plastic bag and wash my hands with bleach/shower with antifungal, do all the laundry with detergent + colorsafe bleach (which isn't really bleach but we don't have any whites so I figure more soap is better?) + an antifungal rinse (Defense soap), have bleached the nonporous surfaces and gotten some supposedly antifungal disinfectants to use on the porous surfaces (just arrived yesterday so haven't had time to clean with them yet, but they can be sprayed on upholstered furniture and stuff, which has already all been vacuumed down).

My main worry is that he was in the house having it for at least a week before I took him to the vet so the spores are all over, and between the holidays and me having to order the cleaning supplies online, he'll have been diagnosed with it for a week before I manage to get the whole house cleaned.

What is disturbing to me is that most of the antifungal rinses and disinfectants that advertise that they work against ringworm may not work against m canis which is the most common one for cats/dogs to get? I can't find a reliable source for that but all the message boards say it. I hope that's not true.

Poor little guy just sits in the bathroom meowing all day... he doesn't understand why he isn't getting all the love he was getting just last week.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1419359927|3806569 said:
Distracts, your kittie is so gorgeous. What a lucky boy he is that you rescued him in spite of that pissed off picture! ::) How cute that he's actually a love bug.

And your mom is right, this forum is the best for everything ever! (just a few days ago, I also ordered that scratcher! I can't wait to get it).

I hope your cat likes the scratcher as much as mine does his! We got two - the one pictured and then a black base/green mohair one because it was on overstock sale and happened to match our living room (green and grey color scheme). He likes the plusher carpet more than the mohair. I also love that the carpet bits are machine washable - especially helpful for me right now!

re: the pissed off picture - he also did not show AT ALL well. There were tons of cats who were very friendly and would come up to see you and want to be petted, and he just hid and looked sad and scared and wouldn't interact. I kind of took a leap of faith adopting him and it has really worked out personalitywise. He was just terribly unhappy at the rescue.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1419362253|3806601 said:
Poor little guy just sits in the bathroom meowing all day... he doesn't understand why he isn't getting all the love he was getting just last week.

Oh poor baby...the only thing you can do is remind yourself you're doing it for his and everyone's well being... :(( poor baby though, and right on the holidays. :(sad

I got the mohair one, I'm hoping they like it...

OMG thank goodness you took a chance on him...with so many cute friendly kittens and cats he would have been so easy to pass up. :appl:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous cat. He is stunning. I'm so glad you saved him.

You'll get through this and hopefully forget about it.

I use Lysol hydrogen peroxide cleaning products, they kill as much as bleach does but are less harsh than bleach. I'll llook to see what they say re fungal and report back.

Re your patch, this summer I had two patches of what looked like textbook ringworm or tinea pedis/corporis. Went to dermatologist. She said it was eczema or nummular dermatitis. I was sure she was wrong.

Nope, she was right, we put 1% triamcinolone acetonide in ointment on it and it resolved immediately. If it had been fungal, it would gave gone like a house on fire. So diagnosis by exclusion, if you will. Check with your dad, get some 1% triamcinolone and get your answer.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jyst checked the Lysol Power and Free products information. Said nothing about fungals.

So bleach it is. Your dad probably advised you re the correct bleach:water ratio, it needs a contact time of 10 minutes for efficacy, I believe.

Good luck, it will go away and remember, people beat tinea without half of your brains and dedication, so you'll come out fine.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
He's a beautiful, beautiful baby, but he looks sad - not as sad as 'grumpy cat' but still sad.

Awwwwwww :love:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
distracts|1419362253|3806601 said:
What is disturbing to me is that most of the antifungal rinses and disinfectants that advertise that they work against ringworm may not work against m canis which is the most common one for cats/dogs to get? I can't find a reliable source for that but all the message boards say it. I hope that's not true.

Awww. I'm sorry I don't already know the answer to this, but is he your only fur-kid or do you have others?

Poor kiddo.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a cat veterinarian; worked in cats only practices for years.

You are doing all the right things.

Is he an indoor only cat? Because it comes from the soil. If he's indoor only, and he has ringworm now, it's because he was immunosppressed from the steroids and caught it from someone else (you, or more likely, the dog). People are exposed to the spores all the time in the environment, and vary rarely get infected.

Just because you are exposed to ringworm doesn't mean you will get the infection. He did because his immune system was compromised. If he is off the steroids, he should recover just fine.

I have seen so much ringworm. Sometimes it is very difficult, sometimes a little miconazole and it's gone. I was once exposed when I was at a practice in another state. I got it, and unknowingly brought it home. 2 of my cats got it, 2 didn't, I did, hubby didn't. We all lived together with no restrictions. I just kept things cleaned, treated myself topically, treated the cats with oral meds and topical ointments, and it went away.

I feel bad for your little one in isolation; I don't think it is warranted. You are already doing everything you can to keep things clean, and if he is being treated and is off steroids now, I think it's safe for him to come out.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I think some strains are worse than others, and some cats recover faster than others. Our new stray kitten (starving and skinny when we found her) had a really bad case of ringworm a few months back. She had it all over, so she was getting weekly lime sulfur dips while quarantined in the bathroom. Since I'm pregnant, I really didn't want to clean with bleach because I couldn't handle the smell. Ringworm isn't harmful, just annoying! Most household cleaners don't fight fungus, so I looked into natural remedies, and apple vinegar and white vinegar was supposed to kill fungus. I used a 40% vinegar 60% hot water solution to clean the bathroom every other day. I suited up before entering the bathroom, stripped down before exiting with the last items being socks before I stepped out, and showered right afterwards. (did this twice a day) I washed my clothes in very hot water and regular detergent along with the kitten's bedding, and only added bleach the first couple of weeks.

It was good for 2.5 months until one of my other bad cats jumped into the bathroom while I was exiting and rubbed against the kitten and he must have brought it out because another cat got it. The one who jumped in didn't get it, but they all snuggle so the spores must have gotten on the other one. It's not too bad though. The one who caught (pictured in my avatar) it has a patch on his ear but it's going away with ointment. We have several other cats and none of the others got it. My husband and I didn't get it either even though my immune system is supposedly weakened right now and they all sleep with us. I have a small red thing on my arm that looks weird but I think it's a spider bite and not ringworm because it doesn't really look like the typical ringworm cases. I can't use any prescription or topical stuff, so I'm just waiting it out. It's been a few weeks and it's not spreading, just occasionally itchy and red, so maybe dry skin? We are mopping our hardwood floor with vinegar and hot water once a week, and we vacuum our rugs twice a week. So far so good, hope it doesn't get worse.

Good luck fighting yours!!

eta: my vet said for us to get it, there would have to be a lot of contact plus some type of opening in our skin. Since it's winter, many of us have dry skin, so maybe keep your skin moisturized to prevent cracks, but not too much because fungus do thrive in moist environments? The kitten did rub against my face by accident a lot and I didn't get anything on my face. The cat whose ear has a patch also sleeps right against us and we're still okay after a month or so. His ear got slightly worse for a week when he was scratching it, so we were told to keep his nails trimmed every other day because the cuts encourages the fungus to spread.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For cleaning I got this - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003L7AF4K/ which is supposed to be safe for use on porous surfaces including hardwoods and upholstered furniture. Dunno if it's actually killing the ringworm but things are clean so.

Gypsy|1419370619|3806710 said:
Awww. I'm sorry I don't already know the answer to this, but is he your only fur-kid or do you have others?

Poor kiddo.

We have a dog. So far the dog does not have ringworm - and I hope it stays that way, because she is very hyper and would be much harder to treat just in terms of getting the ointment on than the cat is!

ecf8503|1419372100|3806733 said:
Is he an indoor only cat? Because it comes from the soil. If he's indoor only, and he has ringworm now, it's because he was immunosppressed from the steroids and caught it from someone else (you, or more likely, the dog). People are exposed to the spores all the time in the environment, and vary rarely get infected.

Just because you are exposed to ringworm doesn't mean you will get the infection. He did because his immune system was compromised. If he is off the steroids, he should recover just fine.

I feel bad for your little one in isolation; I don't think it is warranted. You are already doing everything you can to keep things clean, and if he is being treated and is off steroids now, I think it's safe for him to come out.

Indoor only. I don't think he's bright enough to survive even short periods outside, haha.

He's going to be out of isolation in a couple of days. I'm spending about two hours a day in there with him - one in the morning and one at night - so he IS still getting attention, just not on demand 24/7 like he's used to. And there's a nice window that looks out over the backyard, and 99% of his waking activities involve watching birdies fly around outside, so he's doing basically the same thing as usual.

He's been getting treated just a little over a week now, and is looking much better. There are big flaking bits of gross skin that keep peeling off in sheets but the skin underneath looks good. The fur is growing back on parts of his ears and the top of his head. He's chewed the fur off his forelegs where he was wiping his head with them though. It doesn't look like he actually has ringworm there, just that he was assiduously trying to eradicate the ointment from his person and going a little overboard with it. The places on his neck where he has it are looking pretty much the same so far but they popped up later than the stuff on his head/ears so maybe they'll just take a few days longer.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay I am bleaching the bathroom tonight so kitty has temporarily been moved out because even though I already rinsed it, it's... pretty bleachy smelling.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can someone post a picture of ringworm on a human?

"A" has a spot on her stomach that really looks like ringworm but it isn't super red and there is only the one. Red (more like pink) ring with regular skin inside. Just the one. No one else with issues. It isn't dry or flaky or anything.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Too Patient, that sounds like it could be ringworm. Do a google images search, that's the best way.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1419758423|3808636 said:
Too Patient, that sounds like it could be ringworm. Do a google images search, that's the best way.

It looks like the mild cases but "A" claims to have had it for 2 months. She isn't great with time (thought it was almost December) and likes to exaggerate so that may be wrong.

Is it possible to have only one spot and no other person or animal infected?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient|1419781730|3808720 said:

It looks like the mild cases but "A" claims to have had it for 2 months. She isn't great with time (thought it was almost December) and likes to exaggerate so that may be wrong.

When I was in first grade I had just one spot, right on the tip of my nose. It kept coming back after antifungal treatment and took several months to go away.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1419801505|3808830 said:

When I was in first grade I had just one spot, right on the tip of my nose. It kept coming back after antifungal treatment and took several months to go away.

Great to know! I'll get the antifungals going now and see how it goes. She has a "well child" exam in 6 weeks or so and I can have the dr check it then if it isn't getting better.

How is your kitty doing?

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sounds like classic ringworm in a human - that's what mine looked like. A "ring" of red with normal skin inside. I'd put some topical meds on it.

And yes it's possible to have only 1 spot and no other person or animal infected. That's what happened in my house - I got it, hubby didn't, 2 cats got it, 2 didn't.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had two spots just like that on my leg in Oct and I went to the dermatologist. I was sure it was tinea corporis (ringworm). It matched the pics online perfectly. It itched.

Nope. Eczema/nummular dermatitis.

LOL, the way you tell the difference is eczema/dermatitis goes away with moisturization and low dose steroid ointment or cream. The tinea goes NUTS on a low dose steroid.

Its very possible your DD has eczema/nummular dermatitis.

Whatever it is, it'll go away with some attention to it.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Ringworm IS horrible, as a long time volunteer, rescue person and also Aby breeder, it is almost impossible to get rid of. It will also infect humans very easily. I once got it at the shelter in California and later from my cats and my hair fell out in patches.

Two things and the only two things that work:

For cats:

Ringworm vaccination twice 21 days apart. It will get rid of it once and for all. You can try dips, shampoos, long lasting conditioners, tons of bleach, oral meds which are BTW quite toxic, nothing else worked. The only drawback and a big one is that supposedly it is no longer available in the US. Only in Europe. If you are in the US then orals, dips, etc. are the way to go and completely disinfecting your home but no matter what I did, it always came back without the vaccine.

For humans:

As bad as it sounds straight clorox on the spot two-three times a day only for a couple of days and it is gone. Sounds scary but the area of skin is already dead and it will not hurt. I was given this advice at the shelter and it cured me completely and very fast.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I once thought I had contracted ringworm from a rescued sugar glider we took in. The animal had a bald patch and I developed an itchy patch on my head. I then pulled the irritating hairs out in that area. It ended up starting trichotillomania for me. That was three years ago and I am still dealing with it today. I wish I had just used antifungal cream and had left the patch alone! Gemstones seem to help distract me.
Distracts, so sorry about Gwen. You are a great animal mommy!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a couple spots that I'm pretty sure are ringworm - one on each arm. They're clearing up very quickly with the antifungal though.

Tiberius is looking much better. There don't appear to be any more crusty patches developing, and there aren't many places left where the skin is peeling off in sheets. The hair is starting to grow back in everywhere where there were previously bald patches.

OVincze - do you have any disinfecting tips? Also, I am in the US so no vaccine - also I have read online that it just reduces the symptoms but doesn't get rid of the fungus?

Ilovegemstones - I get TERRIBLE psychosomatic itching, so I totally understand! I think the only thing that has saved me from scratching my skin off is that the first antidepressant I was ever on (waaaaay back in the day) caused phantom itching and after months of tearing myself up I learned to control it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results