shape
carat
color
clarity

HPHT diamond questions

KamBam

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone, sooooooo I'm finally in the hunt for a diamond ring. After a bunch of research I came across HPHT diamonds. My budget is $20000 Canadian, hopefully including the setting. Looking for a 2Ct with an excellent cut. Any input on these retail places? Hadar diamonds, Brilliant earth, eternity by Yoni. I heard that most white lab grown diamonds usually are around 1. 5ct in size. Some of these sites list 2+. Should this be a concern? I've also noticed that prices are not all that much different especially with the colorless diamonds. Also some sites do have GIA reports for HPHT. I thought that IGI does the reports on these?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HPHT are color treated natural diamonds. That's a completely different product than lab grown diamonds.

Yes, lab grown diamonds are about the same price as otherwise similar natural stones in the D-L color ranges. HPHT's are usually cheaper but you'll find the compete with different stones. Most HPHT's I've seen are in the D-E color range and VVS or better in clarity. That's extremely unusual in a synthetic.

2 ct is huge for a lab stone. 1.5 is actually pretty big. Typical is more like 0.50cts. They're working on it. It turns out to be harder than it looks. What about this worries you?

Most of the manufacturers choose other labs than GIA. There's an assortment of reasons for this but one is that GIA doesn't give a cut grade on their reports for lab grown diamonds. Given your requirement of an excellent cut, this also opens up the question of what you mean by 'excellent' and according to whom.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results