shape
carat
color
clarity

Joining in on the Moonstone Fever! help brainstorm setting!

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
after seeing so many cabochon cut gem rings on this forum i have decided to jump on the moonstone bandwagon!
the round stone on the left will be shipped to me tomorrow so hopefully it gets here before xmas!
i am so excited i cannot wait for it to arrive.

it is a 2.27ct moonstone that is 8.9mm in size. i was told that the "inclusions" in the photo are just lint and that the stone itself is eye clean (fingers crossed they look good in person)

i was thinking about either setting this as a right hand ring or setting it as an alternative engagement ring (one that i dont have to worry about losing or being stolen when i go on trips and stuff) (yes...i know...i haven't even gotten my engagement ring yet and i'm already thinking about replacements...is that bad? *giggles*)

i really love star sparkle's moonstone.
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...one-a-glowing-stone-in-a-diamond-halo.207888/
but i don't want to just copy her ring exactly...and besides halo with split shank is exactly how i'm setting my rosecut pear. i feel like this stone deserves to be unique and set in a different setting.

i'm not sure when i'll set the ring but if anyone has ideas on a unique setting or just want to comment on the stone itself feel free to comment below!

_25003.jpg

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Joining in on the Moonstone Fever! help brainstorm setti

Congratulations! They look beautiful! I am a bit biased though as I actually purchased Barry's other pair in the Friday drop! Looking forward to seeing your photos!

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

ricezo|1418071343|3797830 said:
Congratulations! They look beautiful! I am a bit biased though as I actually purchased Barry's other pair in the Friday drop! Looking forward to seeing your photos!
i actually like the one on the right better because it looks more eyeclean and is more opaque looking but ended up getting the left one due to its size XD.

do you have pictures of the ones you bought? i'd love to see them!

i wish barry takes better pictures of his stones...i dont remember the last time i received a digital photo this size...lol

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock

Here you go! Mine are 2.48tcw 6.9mm rounds. They are on their way to me but it will take a few weeks as I'm overseas. These are my first Barry purchase! I've heard great things so can't wait to get them!

_25005.jpg

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock

PS I'm no expert at setting moonstone (or any other kind of stone!) but here are some inspiration shots.

_25006.jpg

_25007.jpg

_25008.jpg

_25009.jpg

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

ricezo|1418072402|3797847 said:
Here you go! Mine are 2.48tcw 6.9mm rounds. They are on their way to me but it will take a few weeks as I'm overseas. These are my first Barry purchase! I've heard great things so can't wait to get them!
they're so blue and pretty! cant wait to see how you set them! will they be a pair of earrings? in a halo maybe? :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

ricezo|1418072646|3797848 said:
PS I'm no expert at setting moonstone (or any other kind of stone!) but here are some inspiration shots.
ooo the first photo looks interesting!! im just not sure if my stone is big enough to be a statement piece.
in my mind i feel like all stones should be set in a halo or bezel so they're nicely "protected". they just all seem so tiny and fragile to me...even though that's not the case most of the time haha

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock

dawnxcui|1418072675|3797850 said:
ricezo|1418072402|3797847 said:
they're so blue and pretty! cant wait to see how you set them! will they be a pair of earrings? in a halo maybe? :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Thank you! Yep definitely going to set them into studs! :mrgreen:

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock

dawnxcui|1418072839|3797851 said:
ooo the first photo looks interesting!! im just not sure if my stone is big enough to be a statement piece.
in my mind i feel like all stones should be set in a halo or bezel so they're nicely "protected". they just all seem so tiny and fragile to me...even though that's not the case most of the time haha

I know! The first and second are my favourite and I love a halo or bezel with a cab. I get what you mean though about it being potentially a bit small for a statement piece. If you see anything you like please post!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Congrats to both of you.

Very lovely stones. With moonstone, you really can't go wrong with an antique style setting, as they were very popular in the Art Nouveau, and Deco period.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Congrats Dawn and Ricezo
Both of you have acquired beautiful dreamy stones. Moonstones are amazingly beautiful.
I love the first setting Ricezo posted.

snfsdca

Rough_Rock

Love the bottom halo! Looks like a morning flower, wet with dew.

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock

All those moonstones look beautiful! What about doing a blue sapphire halo to help bring out the blue in the moonstone?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Looking forward to how you set it since I have a cats eye moonstone i'm looking to set

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

Loving all the moonstones popping up lately! I'll be watching this thread to see how you set yours. Hoping to get one next year :))

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock

Has your moonstone arrived yet Dawn??

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh I am loving all these moonstones! :love: Why can't I have limitless funds?? ;(

Cannot wait to see what you decide to do with these gorgeous moonstones Dawn!

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

just arrived the moonstone.
i looks a lot clearer than i thought it would.
what do you guys think?

dsc00238.jpg

dsc00248.jpg

dsc00243.jpg

dsc00258.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Do you see any blue?

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

Barely.... Most angles it's more see through than blue. Top down is totally clear.

The camera does pick up more blue in some pictures like shown above

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dawnxcui|1419297805|3806159 said:
Barely.... Most angles it's more see through than blue. Top down is totally clear.

The camera does pick up more blue in some pictures like shown above

Do you like it?

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock

Have you seen it in sunlight or strong artificial light yet? It looks as though your pics are taken in low light?

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

I'll check tomorrow. Hopefully there's some sun.

Is this how moonstones are supposed to look like though? I don't have experience with moonstones and just wanted ur expert opinions.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock

I am definitely not a moonstone expert - my pair just arrived yesterday! But I can tell you that in very low light situations my moonstones look clear too with minimal adularescence. But they look fabulous with lots of blue flashes in sunlight and in artifical light as long as its not too dim.

Moonstones can vary in translucency - from very translucent to more opaque. I think that our moonstones are on the translucent end of the spectrum. I love the look but it comes down to personal preference.

Let us know how you go!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

I have several pieces of blue sheen moonstone that have been custom set. The blue sheen shows up best if the moonstone has a black background. The three faceted moonstones in my avatar South Sea pearl ring have black metal behind them. The blue in this ring shows up in nearly all light situations.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock

Fly Girl|1419301929|3806211 said:
I have several pieces of blue sheen moonstone that have been custom set. The blue sheen shows up best if the moonstone has a black background. The three faceted moonstones in my avatar South Sea pearl ring have black metal behind them. The blue in this ring shows up in nearly all light situations.

I love your ring Fly Girl!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

ricezo|1419302623|3806217 said:
Fly Girl|1419301929|3806211 said:

I love your ring Fly Girl!
Thank you so much.

More about my ring here, along with other moonstone pieces that I have.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/south-sea-pearl-ring.192703/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/south-sea-pearl-ring.192703/[/URL]

I am very fortunate that I have a local designer who loves moonstone and red gold as much as I do. He selects only the best moonstones, and then I take my pick from those. :))

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

Great suggestions guys, looks much better under strong light.

I tried to take some comparison pictures with the moonstone on a black background with and without flash.

img1419303840686.jpg

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock

Fly Girl - thanks for the link. Okay I am now officially obsessed with your ring, it's amazing!!

Dawn- yay it looks so much better!! Are you happy with it now? I just took a photo of mine while blocking out most of the light for comparison - as you can see it looks horrible lol. As with most gemstones, they just need some light!

_25489.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dawnxcui|1419299890|3806179 said:
I'll check tomorrow. Hopefully there's some sun.

Is this how moonstones are supposed to look like though? I don't have experience with moonstones and just wanted ur expert opinions.

I have moonstones that show blue in all lighting situations (sunlight, fluorescent, incandescent) and the light doesn't have to be bright either. My two favorite moonstones show a periwinkle blue, and I have a new one that shows a sky blue, but the blue is very evident. The more blue, the more valuable the stone. The blue also rolls around the whole stone and covers up most of it when looked at it right over the table. I also have a 9mm round that only shows blue rolling around part of the stone, but the blue is very evident, and it's more of a sky blue. Hope that helps, since you wanted opinions. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results