shape
carat
color
clarity

It's all about that bass

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^Yes, to some extent, we have become hyper-sensitive. It's not that I think that it's a terrible song and I'm horribly offended by it because I'm not - I just don't care for the overall tone and if you're going to get kudos fro promoting a healthy/curvy body image, then just focus on those lyrics and not lyrics that could be misinterpreted (which takes the focus off the true meaning of the song). As far as skinny jokes are concerned, I get your point and I understand why they are more acceptable than fat jokes. However, that doesn't change the fact that skinny jokes can be hurtful and it doesn't help the "cause" either (that you should love your size no matter what it is). I don't particularly care for the term "skinny bitch" because I don't like that the word bitch has become synonymous with the term skinny.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I came across this version of "All About That Bass" while listening to Home Free's Christmas music. I liked it. By now I am sure everyone with a teenager or young adult in the family has been hearing Meghan Trainor's own rendition of the song on the radio for weeks! It is on every station all the time.

Link...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuyGVhQFLbs

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I thought this thread was gonna be about fishin!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1419057344|3804644 said:

Ha! Wow, Karl, that made me LOL.

During summers when we were growing up, my dad always took my brother and me fishing on his day off from work. On the way to our "fishing hole," (after we'd stopped off in a one stop-sign town for Hostess treats, Yoo-Hoos, and orange pop) he'd say, "let's go catch a bass by the ass! And don't tell your mother we said that!"

Sorry. A little redneck memory I felt like sharing. Carry on. :oops: :lol: ;))

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
monarch64|1419058440|3804650 said:

Ha! Wow, Karl, that made me LOL.

During summers when we were growing up, my dad always took my brother and me fishing on his day off from work. On the way to our "fishing hole," (after we'd stopped off in a one stop-sign town for Hostess treats, Yoo-Hoos, and orange pop) he'd say, "let's go catch a bass by the a$$! And don't tell your mother we said that!"

Sorry. A little redneck memory I felt like sharing. Carry on. :oops: :lol: ;))
rofl!
sounds like good times.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I had only heard this song in the 40s remix version (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyTTX6Wlf1Y - can I say I love the literal bass there?) so I went off to watch the video. I really disliked it for all the reasons already brought up: first, it is all about what "the boys like." So, if boys liked a stick figure, that is what the narrator should be? Second, yes, the video is dismissive of thin women. The lyrics start off with "I am all about that bass, no treble." If she sang "I am all about that treble, no bass" or "I am all about thin, no fatties", would we be ok with that?

The lyrics then go on to "But I can shake it like I am supposed to." Two problems here: why are we supposed to shake our booties and are women who are flat bottomed lesser because they can't shake it? My answer is: you shake it if you want to and if you can't shake, you are just fine as well. Shortly after this, we see an image of a lady shaking her bum with a smirk at the thin woman, who is looking like the stereotypical bitch (hands on her waist, looking down her nose at the dancing lady - and what is it with her cellophane wrapper? Is it being insinuated that she is an industrialized - aka, not natural - product unlike the healthy, natural curvy women?).

"I see her in a magazine working the photoshop", with a "before and after" showing that the thin girl is really chubbier as well. I am divided on this - on one hand, yes, photoshopped images are a problem but it also seems to imply that women can't be naturally thin. It follows by saying "we know that shit ain't real", which isn't making it much clearer.

At 0:40, we have another image of the skinny bitch being a bitch to the dancing guy. Once again, bitter thin versus happy fat.

"If you have beauty then raise them up because of every inch of you is perfect" - the "if you have beauty" comment is annoying and I don't like the concept of perfection (I am not perfect but I am fine) but I am not going to be overcritical here.

Then we get to the momma advice: don't worry about your size cause boys like a little more booty to hold at night. So, should you be worried if you don't have a booty because you won't get the boys? And "boys" are all supposed to like the same thing, which is not very cool towards the dudes. They do have opinions and tastes of their own.

"I hope I am no stick figure siliconed barbie doll" - first, plastic surgery shaming. If a woman wants to get a breast implant (or reduction), that is her decision. The narrator has already stated that she wants a figure to please the boys, so criticizing a woman who gets implants (implying that she does it because she is brain washed into a beauty standard) seems hypocritical.

This is followed by the moment that really got me - the thin bitch gets the "shut up" hand pushed in front of her face by the dancing guy. NO. No one gets to be dismissed that way. Then, "if that is what you are into, then go ahead and move along." By itself, that line could be better expressed ("go ahead and move along" is dismissive, it doesn't really imply that it is ok to have a different opinion) but the shooing gestures makes the point: no, you can't really like thin women or women with breast implants.

Another confusing image at 1:26 - the curvy narrator is sitting at a candy covered table with a ken doll. Why is the guy a doll? Isn't he supposed to be one of the guys that like her booty?

The skinny bitch is pushed off the stage by the curvy girl's ass. Nice.

"No, I'm just playing I know you think you're fat/But I'm here to tell you that every inch of you is perfect " - A very curious line! "I know you think you're fat" does imply that fat is bad! It is great to be curvy but don't get fat! Have a booty but not a "fat ass". So much for accepting all body sizes.After this point, the lyrics are repeated ad nauseum so I'll concentrate on the visuals. The ladies start acting more and more childlike, including riding kiddie bikes. Meanwhile, the little girls dance like sexy women. Really?

The lead singer and her posse are all of a particular body type: curvy, hourglass figures. They aren't really fat or over weight. I don't see it as body acceptance, I see it as pushing a particular body type. No apple figure, no boyish figure, etc. The only really overweight person is the amazing dancing guy. The two thin people are the ken doll guy and the skinny bitch. So, the message is: thin = lifeless and bitter, curvy = fun and cute.

I would not have a problem with the skinny bitch character (representing a certain view point) if she had been balanced by a fun, dancing thin lady. But she isn't and she is sending a message.

So, the tune is catchy, the video is candy coloured and it seems to have a body acceptance message. It doesn't. If we were pummeled with those visuals, I can see a slew of little girls worried about their asses and complaining that they are too thin and have no "boom boom" for boys to chase (remember the old tonic ads - get rid of the scrawny figure to get guys!). In other words, no change except for the image pushed.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
arkieb1|1419083369|3804705 said:
I love this parody version by Straight No Chaser "No tenors";

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lIR6nZGk0g

Me too. I came to this thread on this page and laughed when I saw the first cover recommended by AGBF. Then I saw the long missive written by Lady Disdain and was wondering where in the heck that all came from.

Now I guess I will have to go watch the video she is talking about, since I have grandkids who no doubt are watching these things. I was all excited to recommend this song to them based on the two videos on this page. Don't want to get into trouble with their parents, which it sounds like I will. I can be a scary world out there fur us geezers. Danged if we do and danged if we don't. I better go do my homework...

Wink

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Watched the original, still like it.

I have lost hundreds of pounds in my lifetime and it was a blessing to me to be overweight, as I have had to work out, hard, all of my life, which has actually been very good for my health.

Homework done, not going to worry about recommending this to my grand kids. I will still get in trouble with their parents about something, that is what we grandpas do...

Loving life on a Saturday morning, my daughter and her family are coming home tomorrow. Going to be a full family Christmas. Three generations under one roof for Christmas eve and Christmas brunch, one at my house and the next at my son's house. Just doesn't get a lot better than that.

Wink

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

LOL, I thought this thread was about 15Hz response from a servo-controlled woofer. :lol:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady Disdain, I blame Sir Mix-a-Lot. :lol:

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
monarch64|1419092165|3804768 said:
Lady Disdain, I blame Sir Mix-a-Lot. :lol:

If that is the kind of "boy" having a booty attracts, I am getting liposuction!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
arkieb1|1419083369|3804705 said:
I love this parody version by Straight No Chaser "No tenors";

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lIR6nZGk0g

Thank you very much for posting this, arkieb. I love Straight No Chaser, and like the parody a lot. However, I have to say that musically, I would have liked it a heck of a lot better if they used more tenors and/or baritones! I love those basses and love to hear them sing, but in this particular song I think the melody should have been carried by higher voices. I found myself wishing for the Meghan Trainor version on some level.

Deb

TechieTechie

Shiny_Rock
In regards to the song, I agree with everything Missy said..so I'll add no more to that front.

And, on a tangent, I HATE most modern music nowadays. When 'Video killed the Radio Star' was released, I thought it was a catchy tune. Little did we know that MTV would ruin rock music. Give me Billy Joel, Melissa Etheridge, Eric Clapton, Earth Wind and Fire, Pearl Jam, Prince, Kristin Chenoweth, Death Cab for Cutie, Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Stevie Wonder. Give me musicians who can play complex melodies and singers that can hold a note without autotuning and whose range is wider than 9 notes...who the heck cares what they look like. Call me old fashioned, I know...there is a Boston radio station that does a lot of acoustic live 'jams' and I can't tell you how many acts I have actually 'tuned out' after hearing them truly live. It's terrible that we value visuals more than true musical talent (heck, it's not just in rock music, opera is very much suffering from the same fate). But I digress.

And thank you for the Straight no Chaser song...too funny. LOVE them! And it's funny AGBF, I think this was more of a Bari2 melody..I would have preferred a melody with more low notes (low C sorta thing). Though I loved the tenors as the 'cutie backup singers'....good staging.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the song -- it's fun, catchy, and really shouldn't be analyzed so much. :halo: Regarding the term "bitches"... it's just a thing these days to refer to your "besties" as "bitches" -- "It's Friday...where my bitches at??!!" <--- niiiice, I know. LOL ;)) :lol: :lol:

My main concern is that Meghan Trainor will succumb to the pressure of Hollywood and end up being no bass and purely treble... kinda like that juicy-to-skinny-beeotch, Jennifer Hudson... :think: ;))

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop04|1419140710|3805142 said:
I like the song -- it's fun, catchy, and really shouldn't be analyzed so much.

The feminist in me rebels at this advice. I think it sets a dangerous precedent. However, it appears to be what I am doing. I thought about it a bit in bed last night. Why do I feel it is a fine song? I don't know. Nothing in it that bothers others bothers me. And that's rare. Everything bothers me. Ask my family. ;))

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The song is catchy and Meghan Trainor is somehow endearing.

But...

I was a skinny thing when I was young, back before Twiggy, back when feminine icons were more voluptuous (and meatier) than they have been since twiggy. Back before we were blasted with 24-hour entertainment and on-line messages. And I remember worrying that I would never get married because no man would want someone so thin. It worried me enough that I must have mentioned it to my mother even though we were not a family to talk about intimate things easily. And she reassured me that it was OK to be thin, pointing out that there were even special clothing stores (the 5-7-9) chain for thin women. (Maybe not the best response, and most likely not all of what she said, but that's what I remember all these years later.) I think I was in the first or second grade at the time.

So could this extremely popular, almost omnipresent song negatively impact some young thing girl's body image? Hell, yes.

I wish this song could have been done without creating a false good/bad dichotomy.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
VR, I said it on the first page and as an always short round woman even as a kid always weighing a bit more than others and always having it pointed out, well, I wish this song had been around then because I wouldn't have felt so alone. Twiggy just made it worse.

yes, in a perfect world it wouldn't matter. actually, that perfect world may be in Australia. my experience there as that body image isn't as important as personality. I even find it easier to buy clothing there.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1419164334|3805218 said:

The feminist in me rebels at this advice. I think it sets a dangerous precedent. However, it appears to be what I am doing. I thought about it a bit in bed last night. Why do I feel it is a fine song? I don't know. Nothing in it that bothers others bothers me. And that's rare. Everything bothers me. Ask my family. ;))

The feminist and thinker in me is bothered by many things, as well. I get it, Deb. All sides of the apparent issue, actually. With this song, I think I just decided to pick a lane and the lane I chose was the one of least resistance and the one that let me just enjoy the music. Because, really, it is a catchy little number that kind of brightens my time in the car when I hear it.

I spend a lot of time (when I have it, which is often late at night or early in the morning while everyone else in my life is sleeping) thinking about issues like these and what I can do to "fix" the "problem" or resolve the issue or pave the way so that the issue will no longer be there once my child is of age. Then I think, "sheesh, I am spending all this time during which I could be working on MYSELF so that I can just lead by example." That's just me, not to say that anyone should be thinking like me. But I wanted to share that thought because I think it's one that we women (and men) do struggle with/share. It feels good to think that I am thinking critically, but you know, it feels better sometimes to let things go and just enjoy the world around me at face value.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1419192187|3805361 said:
AGBF|1419164334|3805218 said:

The feminist and thinker in me is bothered by many things, as well. I get it, Deb. All sides of the apparent issue, actually. With this song, I think I just decided to pick a lane and the lane I chose was the one of least resistance and the one that let me just enjoy the music. Because, really, it is a catchy little number that kind of brightens my time in the car when I hear it.

I spend a lot of time (when I have it, which is often late at night or early in the morning while everyone else in my life is sleeping) thinking about issues like these and what I can do to "fix" the "problem" or resolve the issue or pave the way so that the issue will no longer be there once my child is of age. Then I think, "sheesh, I am spending all this time during which I could be working on MYSELF so that I can just lead by example." That's just me, not to say that anyone should be thinking like me. But I wanted to share that thought because I think it's one that we women (and men) do struggle with/share. It feels good to think that I am thinking critically, but you know, it feels better sometimes to let things go and just enjoy the world around me at face value.

I feel the same way... I used to be bothered by things more easily, but it just exhausted me. It makes me wonder if all those who are easily offended (or those offended by pretty much everything - HA!) ever have any joy... :think:

It's just a cute, cheeky song... 8) 8) Anything above and beyond that thought sort of takes away the joy and fun for me. I have too much stress already to wanna go and get all offended by some song written by a 20 year old chick... if that's the worst thing a young girl listens to, then that's just not a big deal to me. I'll take this one over all the super explicit songs any day!! ::)

(And it doesn't hurt that I've always been all about that bass, if you KWIM...) :bigsmile: ;))

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO the song does WAY more good than bad.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I see it more as a change in fashion (from skinny to curvy) than as a change in mindset (from "one right body" to "accept your body type, different people like different things").

As VRBeauty pointed out and a quick browse through historical materials show, beauty standards shift, swinging from thin to way too thin to curvy and back. This song reflects that we are starting to swing towards curvy again. And, at that point, naturally thin girls will be scrawny and will try everything to be curvy (silicon self injection, anyone?). What I want to see is the message that it is ok to have your own beauty standard, whatever it is, and that it is ok to like whatever beauty standard you want.

Am I offended by the song? No, I just hate the message it is sending out under the cover of "Body acceptance". I am interested in our social messages and I think they are important. If someone doesn't care or doesn't wish to look into this aspect, that is fine. I am not interested in the chord progression in the song while that would interest musicians. But insinuating I don't find joy in anything is rather over the line, I think.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady_Disdain|1419260716|3805691 said:
I see it more as a change in fashion (from skinny to curvy) than as a change in mindset (from "one right body" to "accept your body type, different people like different things").

As VRBeauty pointed out and a quick browse through historical materials show, beauty standards shift, swinging from thin to way too thin to curvy and back. This song reflects that we are starting to swing towards curvy again. And, at that point, naturally thin girls will be scrawny and will try everything to be curvy (silicon self injection, anyone?). What I want to see is the message that it is ok to have your own beauty standard, whatever it is, and that it is ok to like whatever beauty standard you want.

Am I offended by the song? No, I just hate the message it is sending out under the cover of "Body acceptance". I am interested in our social messages and I think they are important. If someone doesn't care or doesn't wish to look into this aspect, that is fine. I am not interested in the chord progression in the song while that would interest musicians. But insinuating I don't find joy in anything is rather over the line, I think.

I surely hope you did not read such a derogatory message to you in anything I wrote, Beatriz. I think you are one of the most intellectual, well-read, and thoughtful posters on Pricescope. If anything, I wonder about my own lack of intellectual curiosity in failing to wish to examine this song when I hear it. I surely do not look at you and see you as lacking in the ability to find joy in life!

Hugs,
Deb

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
AGBF|1419265929|3805769 said:

I surely hope you did not read such a derogatory message to you in anything I wrote, Beatriz. I think you are one of the most intellectual, well-read, and thoughtful posters on Pricescope. If anything, I wonder about my own lack of intellectual curiosity in failing to wish to examine this song when I hear it. I surely do not look at you and see you as lacking in the ability to find joy in life!

Hugs,
Deb

Oh, Deb, thank you! No, it wasn't you. A poster mentioned it upthread, in a general way and not directed personally, and it kind of hit me the wrong way. I shouldn't have mentioned it since I took it too personally.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I couldn't agree more with the comments above. I remember being in the sixth grade and wanting to save my babysitting money for the tonic for scrawny girls. It was stated in the ads that nothing was more unattractive or undesirable as being a scrawny girl. My only draw back was how I was going to keep the package in the mail a secret from my mom. I was so relieved when it became fashionable to be thin. It looks like being curvy is now becoming the desired shape. I long for the day when all young girls love and accept the body they were born with. Sadly I'll probably never see this in my lifetime.

I was called a skinny bitch a couple weeks ago when my husband was having surgery by a nurse. Because of this thread, I think it was the first time I didn't cringe when hearing it. Thank you Movie Zombie for making me relaize I was being too sensitive.

Deb, I think anyone who reas your posts know what a kind and wonderful woman you are!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just watched / heard this for the first time.

Like many of you have said, I really really wish boys were not mentioned AT ALL. To me that heavily counteracts the positive message of the song because it's still about pleasing someone ELSE.

I also didn't like the part where someone makes a dismissive/get out of here motion to the skinny girl in the video - I know she says "just kidding" after saying skinny bitch but the gesture in the video (although I don't think happen at the same time) is "mean."

We are all adults and are sitting here analyzing the song - but young girls and many others probably won't. So I think that even "small" negative things like this kill the positive message of the song, which I wish was just "you are OK just the way you are - skinny, fat, or curvy." Period.

Someone told me the other day I was getting too skinny - it really bothered me - who the heck is this person to tell me that? I've been working really hard and losing weight the healthy way PLUS putting on muscle. But because I am very, very narrow/tiny on top in order for my bottom to lose some fat/show some muscle, yes, I have to look even tinier on top. But I will read MZ's advice on this...although I'm not sure if being told "you're getting too skinny" is the same as being called a "skinny bitch." Honestly, either one is kind of...inappropriate (why comment on my body at all?) especially if I don't know you that well.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nicely put, Lady Disdain. Thank you.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd kill to just once have someone call me a skinny bitch! Lol!

I like the song but the lyrics making it out that caring about not caring for a guy is lame.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1419286079|3806034 said:
I'd kill to just once have someone call me a skinny bitch! Lol!

Ame, you're a skinny bitch.

Oh no. I hope I don't get banned again. :bigsmile:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well one part of that is accurate but the skinny part would require extensive lighting and camera trickery! Dang no emoties in the tapatalk app.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results