shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying an Emerald Ring: Columbian or Zambian?

gemvalue

Rough_Rock
Columbian or Zambian Emerald?
Hi everyone! I am planning to purchase my first emerald ring and I was wondering if the forum experts could tell me what is better Columbian or Zambian Emerald? I know that Columbian are more famous, but I never seen untreated Columbian Emerald, most of them (if not all) are oil treated and have to be retreated every few years, that is what I heared! However, Zambian Emerald are cheaper and also can be found in good clarity and color and most of all they could be also untreated stones! Am I right? If so please look that untreated Zambian Emerald ring, what you think about the colour and the quality of it? does it worth to try a bid for it?

Here it is:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221642057611

l22.jpg

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi, welcome!

Almost all emeralds are treated (around 99%) regardless of origin, most are oiled at the mines. In emeralds treatment to some degree is accepted, oiling and certain other ones but of course minor is considered better. Colombians are generally more expensive and tend to have better color and considered as the best by many collectors. I wish you great luck in your search. I think the pic you posted may not be good quality enough to say a lot especially about cut but the color appears to be too light and I cannot tell you if clarity and cut seem well not great because of the pic only. I am sure the wonderful people on PS will assist you in your search.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you just want something untreated or does the colour and clarity quality also matters? The lab report does not state treatment at all so it could very well be heavily treated. Just because it might be Zambian does not automatically mean it is untreated. As always, colour matters first and foremost, then clarity and treatment. I actually prefer the more modern resin treatment where it is not only stable but permanent. My level of comfort is minor to moderate treatment only.

The eBay emerald:
1. No mention of treatment, what it is used (oil, resin, colour added, etc) nor the level of treatment
2. Clarity challenged (I doubt this will be eye clean from 12 inches away)
3. No straight on picture but the cutting looks very crude/rough due to the clarity. I also think it is badly windowed.
4. Colour quality is average; it is light.

gemvalue

Rough_Rock
It looks good color on the video, pictures could be photoshop edited but video shows good color I think

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please define what is "good colour" to you. The colour is light for an emerald.

gia_colombian_gems.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
gemvalue|1419260109|3805684 said:
It looks good color on the video, pictures could be photoshop edited but video shows good color I think

Videos can also be manipulated. Why would anyone photoshop an emerald to look pale and very yellowish?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gemvalue|1419250333|3805612 said:
Columbian or Zambian Emerald?
Hi everyone! I am planning to purchase my first emerald ring and I was wondering if the forum experts could tell me what is better Columbian or Zambian Emerald? I know that Columbian are more famous, but I never seen untreated Columbian Emerald, most of them (if not all) are oil treated and have to be retreated every few years, that is what I heared! However, Zambian Emerald are cheaper and also can be found in good clarity and color and most of all they could be also untreated stones! Am I right? If so please look that untreated Zambian Emerald ring, what you think about the colour and the quality of it? does it worth to try a bid for it?

Here it is:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221642057611

Unfortunately, it's not a very good emerald, in color, or clarity. I would pass.

Not that you have to buy top quality, but I would prefer a smaller emerald with better color/clarity, than that ring.

I would buy the gem loose if you can, and have it sent to AGL, if you plan on spending thousands of dollars on it.

Good luck.

diamondenvy1

Rough_Rock
Trade
Zambian emeralds can be very beautiful. They usually have a darker tone and lean more bluish green compared to Colombian emeralds. While it does not at all detract from their beauty, the color of Zambian emeralds do not often have the same rich intense green color that Colombian emeralds are famous for.

Minor to moderate treatment is obviously better than significant so perhaps start your search based on the color you love and then review the treatment. If you don't like the idea of oil, maybe look for a stone that has excel. It is removable if needed and can withstand more cleaning than oil.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Gemvalue.

About 10 yrs ago, I wanted to buy some emeralds, and was told the zambian emeralds required much less treatment than others. You could find untreated Zambians at that time, but don't believe that holds true now.

The emerald you show is not very good for the money. I agree with the others that you can do much better. Don't buy that one.

I love emeralds. Keep looking, you'll find something better.

Annette

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondenvy1|1419267155|3805796 said:
Minor to moderate treatment is obviously better than significant so perhaps start your search based on the color you love and then review the treatment. If you don't like the idea of oil, maybe look for a stone that has excel. It is removable if needed and can withstand more cleaning than oil.

Good point. People often overlook the fact that just because it's treated, one very important component is the level of treatment. AGL has various levels of treatment: none, faint, minor, moderate, significant (or strong, I forget). Anything up to moderate is acceptable. I would avoid any treatment that is greater than that, but cloudy and highly included emeralds typically are candidates for significant treatment. I would also avoid emeralds with cracks along the table. You can tell by viewing the emerald's table with reflected light. See example photo below.

blog-016_1_.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results