shape
carat
color
clarity

Cinnamon or other natural hair lightening products?

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hey All,

So I'm bored with my hair. My daughter asked to use cinnamon to lighten her hair, so I did a bit of googling and am going to try it, but has anyone tried doing the cinnamon dyeing? I'm also thinking of doing my hair, but I don't want to dye my hair and then worry about the upkeep. I'd like something that will just eventually fade out w/out the tell tale "line"...any advice?

jazzoboe

Shiny_Rock
Have you considered trying a demi-permanent dye? They supposedly last about 28 washes but fade out gradually so you don't see that line as your hair grows out. You can by the boxed type at drugstore, but if you have a beauty supply store like Sally's around I suggest going there instead. They have salon quality products that cost less than the drugstore stuff. I used Sallys store brand, Ion, for about a year and a half and was very happy with it. I only had to redo my color about every 8 weeks. But do be aware that demi-permanent color can only add color to your hair. It cannot lighten; only permanent colors can lift your shade. But if you want a subtle change, like a bit of a different tone, demi works great. Plus it's not damaging like permanent colors!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you lighten it allover there will be a line when it grows back in. The most subtle way to dye/lighten it without a harsh growout is to do a highlight/lowlight with balayage, but that is not done with natural products typically, nor is it something you do yourself.

ETA: anytime you mix something with developer (IE Peroxide) you're changing the underlying base of your haircolor. It will ultimately always be color treated til it grows out and is cut off. So you will always have some kind of line when it grows out.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure if we're allowed to link to other forums, but there is another long hair forum that discusses cassia/cinnamon quite in depth, and you will be able to find before/after photos. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=13332 this link in particular talks about cassia stain, and the affect on hair colour (and removing it). You might want to do a bit more research before committing, just in case it doesn't fit with what you are looking for.

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you all! I may hit up Sally's to see what I can find in the semi-permanent vein and go with red highlights. ;-) I was thinking of going darker w/my dishwater blonde/brown color. I did my dd's hair the other day and it turned out nice. It is lighter, not a ton, but a nice subtle difference. She was happy. I may do it again on hers as it was quite messy! :D

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chamomile tea works as a lightener.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
roux fanci-full rinse for the win for playing around with your hair.
temporary only and washes out.
no peroxide.
no hair damage.
in fact, it gives my hair body.
not natural but doesn't contain chemicals i'm allergic to either.

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
jazzoboe|1419258230|3805666 said:
Have you considered trying a demi-permanent dye? They supposedly last about 28 washes but fade out gradually so you don't see that line as your hair grows out. You can by the boxed type at drugstore, but if you have a beauty supply store like Sally's around I suggest going there instead. They have salon quality products that cost less than the drugstore stuff. I used Sallys store brand, Ion, for about a year and a half and was very happy with it. I only had to redo my color about every 8 weeks. But do be aware that demi-permanent color can only add color to your hair. It cannot lighten; only permanent colors can lift your shade. But if you want a subtle change, like a bit of a different tone, demi works great. Plus it's not damaging like permanent colors!

Alright JazzOboe, I went to Sally's and I have the stuff....now to get up the courage to start! :o The only thing I didn't get was the brush, so I think it'll be a bit more messy, but hopefully will be ok.

jazzoboe

Shiny_Rock
Cozy, it sounds like you have the same natural color I do and I went reddish so hopefully it'll work well for you too. What shade did you pick up? I always use a brush to color but it can be done without, just prepare for some mess. Let me know how it goes!

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hey Jazz,

I got um.... it's a 6 something with Red in it. I can't remember. I tried the 7, but it didn't really do anything (could be that I didn't leave it on long enough) so I returned it and got the 6. My sister sprung sister pictures (there are 6 of us) for after Christmas, so I'll wait till after that to dye it. What color do you use? Do you have pics???

jazzoboe

Shiny_Rock
I've been using 6RC. I recently started doing permanent color though, because I decided I wanted a more vivid red color and could not accomplish that with demi. I've also used their 6WR before but it didn't make as much noticeable change to my hair tone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results