color
clarity

Best moisturizer for pathetic and dry hands in the winter

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Best moisturizer for pathetic and dry hands in the winte

HI:

I used Vaseline Intensive care for a long time--worked well. I stopped using only Vaseline (jelly) because it stained clothing and sheets. It is good for cuticles--negates that "scratchy" appearance.

Lancôme, Le Roche Posay, and Vichy. I've used them and loved them all. Lancôme Nutrix Royal (body) is a staple in our home. Of course we still use Dove baby shower wash.

That said, I do hydrate well, and take Omega Oils orally. Weekly, I use Vit C on my hands: either a Neostrata capsule or a few drops of Vivter Serum C12 (usually for face, but what the heck).

Good luck--I know these things are always trial and error.

cheers--Sharon

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ame|1416578941|3787887 said:
Dancing Fire|1416552195|3787796 said:
Will these moisturizers work for a guy? My fingers will get dry, cracks and bleeds during the summer... :wacko:
Really any of them would as long as you use them consistently. That one I mentioned, the WORKING HANDS stuff, is actually I think made for guys. Tradesmen and the like.
Found some Aveeno lotion at home will give it a try.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Best thing ever~Surgeons Secret -in the stick. You have to give it time to work in so it's best to put it on at night.

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock

Again, thank you so much for all of the responses!

Update: Using dishwashing gloves, constantly applying lotion after I wash my hands (I picked up Gold Bond at Walmart the other day) and using Bag Balm (had it already- but wasn't using it consistently) at night before I go to bed has GREATLY improved my hands.

My cuticles don't love me yet, but they certainly don't hate me anymore. I also am not self conscious about showing my hands off when I am out and about.

I look forward to trying some more of the products listed in this thread very soon :wavey:

CrazyBirdLady

Shiny_Rock

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love coconut oil. I buy extra virgin coconut oil and keep it in the fridge and when I need some a take a pea size amount and rub it between my fingers to melt it and it is a great moisturizer. It is greasy if you add too much but a little goes a long way. It's a cheap and effective moisturizer and it smells yummy.

Also I love aquaphor for my lips and any skin that needs intensive moisture. It's a good inexpensive heavy duty moisturizer but very greasy so good for before bed.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock

Take two flax seed oil capsules as a supplement a day from Oct. - March, besides a good hand cream, used often.

Alexxxx

Rough_Rock
Trade

I see patients so I wash my hands A LOT. They get really dry. I was cooking one day and got olive oil all over my the backs of my hands by accident. An hour later they felt so much better! I use it at night sometimes and it does wonders! I figure, hey people around the Mediterranean were doing this for hundreds of years, right? I've tried lotions but this is the only thing that really helps. I think coconut oil and other oils will give you a similar effect.

ming

Shiny_Rock

Look for something with dimethicone as an ingredient. I use the Aveeno overnight cream (even during the day).

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I use Cetaphil in the tub, it's thick but absorbs quickly. The effect doesn't last super long (maybe because I am using and wetting my hands a fair amount) so at night I add Vitamin E taking care to rub it on my cuticles first, then spreading it out over my hands. THAT works wonders.

I also like to exfoliate periodically by taking a teaspoon or so of sugar and mixing it in with my lotion. Rubbing gently all over, and focusing on my cuticles, really exfoliates the dead skin and rough edges. Rinse away with lukewarm water, then apply moisturizer liberally. Because a lot of the dead nonabsorbent skin has been exfoliated away, the moisturizing effects work better and last longer. If you need extra healing, you could use salt instead of sugar.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Had to come back and report that I have tried olive oil per a recommendation here and it was awesome! So silly smooth and moisturized. Woke up the next morning with beautiful hands. I have also been more diligent with the vitamin E and that is working incredibly well, too.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

I use a bunch of them...one that's a bit greasy but feels and smells yummy is Bliss Lemon & Sage body butter. It does a great job moisturizing. I've also been using one from Trader Joe's... a shea butter one. And, then CO Bigelow's lemon hand cream.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

monarch64|1416496799|3787214 said:
OVincze|1416491369|3787168 said:
I have horrid hands and bleeding, cracked cuticles, eczema below my fingers so I am the worst case. The absolute best I have ever used and tried just about everything from natural to high end was Estee Lauder Re-Nutriv hand cream, very very pricey though. L'Occitane Shea Butter hand cream is the second best, everything from their shea butter line is great, the body cream works great on hands too, the cuticle cream is amazing. If you have problems with your cuticles definitely get that, apply first and then the hand cream or the body cream. Then if you want very simple and inexpensive use pure shea butter, I use a natural shea butter with a bit of grape seed oil. Old German formula Nivea is great too, cheap as well. These work great if you have serious problems with your hands but are not really light weight, light weight things do not work for me. Sometimes you have to make a choice, if you find your hands too greasy then wipe some off a bit later.

L'Occitane's hand and foot creams are amazing, but I HATE the smell. Good suggestion, though; others may like it just fine and it definitely works.

I love the smell of L'Occitane's shea cream! :) It works well too!

tmot14

Shiny_Rock

My husband has very dry hands and swears by Kiehl's hand cream.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Ok guys, I have something new to add. I was talking on another thread about La Mer how it has helped my facial skin, I had never had problems with my skin and it used to be one of my best features, well, not on my hands but on my face but it was starting to developing weird red flakey spots like eczema so I have been using La Mer for the last couple months and now I cannot live without it, too bad for my wallet, I just went out to buy full size products but I have never used La Mer handcream before. Unfortunately, for the last few weeks my hands looks tons worse than ever before, they actually look like I have second degree burn on them. The girl at the store put some handcream on my hands and I have never seen anything like this before, the second it had contact with my skin on the hands the redness went away, I could not believe my eyes, soooo, while I did not want to go there due to a small tube costing 50 euros here I bought it immediately. I tried it at home tonight, same thing; redness gone, cracked skin gone and it actually absorbs instantly, never had a handcream like this before. So if you want to splurge or actually really need help, I do think this is the absolute best I have ever tried. I did not want to get hooked but now I am. I had actually just bought a tube of Clinique Deep Comfort about two weeks ago and while it was very heavy so I thought it would help and I used to like it, it was not helping at all, I only had greasy hands and still looked like I burnt the skin off my hands. Now I just have to see what happens to my face as when I ran out of the starter set of La Mer facial products, I used a different brand and broke out, I damaged my skin badly on my face so will see whether La Mer can actually prevent scarring but I am definitely convinved that this brand delivers, my skin has not looked this nice since I was twenty and my hands are not hurting and looking scary anymore. I always loved Lauder subbrands and this is one but I switched first from Clinique to Lauder itself but La Mer is far superior to both, now of course the prices are not for the faint at heart.

snfsdca

Rough_Rock

I live along the coast so my body is used to some amount of humidity all the time. The minute the temp dips and the heater starts coming on at night, it's all over. The only thing that works for me is 100% pure shea butter. I like the raw, unrefined shea made by Out of Africa. There are no other ingredients added to the shea butter and it is certified Fair Trade (which is important to me). I use it for everything in winter - hands, feet, elbows, lips, face, shaving my legs, diaper rash (not for me :lol: ).

http://www.outofafricashea.com/products/organic/tin3.html

http://www.outofafricashea.com/products/organic/osb2.html

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

OVincze|1418853792|3803177 said:
Ok guys, I have something new to add. I was talking on another thread about La Mer how it has helped my facial skin, I had never had problems with my skin and it used to be one of my best features, well, not on my hands but on my face but it was starting to developing weird red flakey spots like eczema so I have been using La Mer for the last couple months and now I cannot live without it, too bad for my wallet, I just went out to buy full size products but I have never used La Mer handcream before. Unfortunately, for the last few weeks my hands looks tons worse than ever before, they actually look like I have second degree burn on them. The girl at the store put some handcream on my hands and I have never seen anything like this before, the second it had contact with my skin on the hands the redness went away, I could not believe my eyes, soooo, while I did not want to go there due to a small tube costing 50 euros here I bought it immediately. I tried it at home tonight, same thing; redness gone, cracked skin gone and it actually absorbs instantly, never had a handcream like this before. So if you want to splurge or actually really need help, I do think this is the absolute best I have ever tried. I did not want to get hooked but now I am. I had actually just bought a tube of Clinique Deep Comfort about two weeks ago and while it was very heavy so I thought it would help and I used to like it, it was not helping at all, I only had greasy hands and still looked like I burnt the skin off my hands. Now I just have to see what happens to my face as when I ran out of the starter set of La Mer facial products, I used a different brand and broke out, I damaged my skin badly on my face so will see whether La Mer can actually prevent scarring but I am definitely convinved that this brand delivers, my skin has not looked this nice since I was twenty and my hands are not hurting and looking scary anymore. I always loved Lauder subbrands and this is one but I switched first from Clinique to Lauder itself but La Mer is far superior to both, now of course the prices are not for the faint at heart.
I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE the LaMer handcream. I use a lot of the facial products, which you are right, are painfully expensive, but they're amazing. I started small with just one, and started trying them here and there as I went. Now I have a whole regimen that is a lot of their products. I got a small travel sized tube as a gift stuffed in with a purchase one time and I got hooked. I've bought at least two tubes now, and thankfully my usual SA gives me random travel tubes so I can have one at work and my travel bag. It is the only hand cream I can stand because it doesn't make me immediately want to wash my hands, nor does it make me feel like I can't use my hands afterwards.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

I hear you Ame and I am also a newly devoted fan. I bought the starter set with Regenerating Serum, Eye Concentrate, Soft Cream, toner and cleanser, I was also given a travel set as a gift which included the Lifting Serum, eye concentrate and original cream, the SA also gave me samples of body lotion, more cream and eye concentrate. I have to say I am addicted, it was a sad day for my wallet. The hand cream did wonders since using it for the last 24 hours redness, pain and cracked skin are 90 % gone, seriously my hands looked like they were burnt. The damage I did to my face is almost gone as well and knowing my skin that is nothing short of a miracle as normally something like that would take almost a year to go away. I am madly in love with the Regenerating Serum and Soft cream, the Lifting Serum heals just as well but is not quite as moisturizing as the Regenerating Serum. The eye concentrate is a bit similar to my long time fave Advanced Night Repair for eyes from EL but it is a much better version of it, it does help with circles and puffiness but what the EL lacked as far as moisturizing properties this has. I have yet to try the body lotion and the original cream and now thinking of a peeling... I have been naughty. The cleanser and toner are very nice as well. You can count me in as hooked.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Forgot to add that I have often used shea butter but it stopped working a few weeks ago, when my skin is this bad in the winter, it does not really do the job. Do not get me wrong, pure shea butter can be very good but it is nothing close to what La Mer did to my hands, of course the price is entirely different as well, so pure shea butter may work for most except for the worst cases and well worth the price.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

I use DHC Cleansing Oil to remove my makeup and then follow with my La Mer regimen: the Cleansing Gel (In fact I stockpile it like a LUNATIC because I ran out mid-batch one time and lost my shit waiting for it...my guy at Nordstrom gave me like 20 samples to tide me over when my travel bottle ran out and I have never allowed myself to not have a spare bottle since), the Mist, my eye serum, the Regenerating Serum, the Concentrate, the Soft Cream and the Hand Treatment (in that order, usually, at night). My usual eye serum is actually the Lauder advanced night repair serum. Sometimes I use the La Mer one but I like the texture of the ANR better. I also have a ludicrous selection of smaller "deluxe samples" of the regular cream, lifting serum, gel cream, lotion, eye balm and concentrates, SPF, and a few other bits, but the ones I buy and regularly use are the above. I received travel sizes of the cleansing gel, regenerating serum and soft cream which I can refill, which rocks, since I travel with those. I also have those little tubes of the hand cream. I don't typically travel with the concentrate but I have a tiny little refillable sprayer to decant the mist into that I bring with me for travel.

I don't wash my face in the morning unless I actually shower in the morning (RARE) so when I get up, I mist with the mist to dampen, and then use the serum mixed with concentrate (which is not what I do at night), and then use my day moisturizer, Josie Maran with SPF, over that. I didn't love the texture of the lifting serum because it didn't play nice with my makeup. The cream cream is too much for my skin unless I am really really dry and chapped.

I got my sister hooked on the cleansing gel also. She won't jump into the other products but she sees how long the gel lasts now (at least 6 months a bottle, usually 8 since like half a pump on your clarisonic is all you need!) and sees the cost per use factor. It's surprisingly non-irritating and we are allergic to being alive, so when neither of us reacted to it...we were pretty pleased. My mom is still anxious about trying it, but I think she might go for it one day.

I am tempted to try their cleansing oil one day but I do love the DHC and it's more cost effective.

I laugh at myself talking about this, I feel like such a spendthrift and SNOB. I remember hearing about this line when I was like 20 thinking "someone spends THAT MUCH on a jar of face lotion!?" and look at me dropping like a grand on a regimen...But it is fabulous stuff, I am not allergic to it, and the fact that it's kept my skin in great condition while I still use my retinoids...I am pleased. DH would like me to not be pleased so I stop using it. haha

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock

2 I love the most is Burts Bees Almond Hand Butter, and Crabtree and Evelyn's Gardener Hand Therapy

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

I wash my hands a lot, and use Eucerin Calming hand cream. I hope your hands have improved.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Lol, Ame, yes we do sound like terrible snobs. I laugh at myself too. I never thought I would buy La Mer. I used to think of people like are they crazy? I had to only try the Soft Cream once and I was in deep trouble, I gifted it to my mom when I bought it from a friend who works for La Mer and ever since then I have been beating myself up over not buying more from her. I thought it was too expensive, now I have to buy it full price, yeah yeah we get gifts but still. Actually, Lauder makes some really awesome serums, I was a very devoted fan for many years but their creams I never truly liked. La Mer makes amazing creams, out of the serums I also much prefer the Regenerating for texture and results and it is a wonderful serum. Like I said the eye concentrate is a lot like ANR from Lauder except it moisturizes better which I always thought the ANR lacked a bit, combining them, well, could be but La Mer also just launched a new eye treatment that can be combined with the Concentrate. Well, there will definitely be similarities since they are both Lauder companies. Anyhow sorry for the threadjack OP and yes hope your hands have improved! Most people probably do not need to spend as much on a hand cream as I think most lack moisture but may not have severe eczema, allergies, sensitivities on hands. If you can spend the money and want to try then yes I do think La Mer is by far the best I have tried, followed by Lauder Re-Nutriv (also pricey), L'Occitane and there are some good inexpensive options too, original Nivea being a pretty good one.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

How much is the la mer handcream? I'm curious to try it

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

They sell a 1.7oz size at Nordstrom now that's $45 and the 3.4oz is $80.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

My boys have this super creamy, ultra sensitive skin. Their hands dry out so bad in the winter that they crack open and bleed in places. Once they get to that point, any type of lotion usually burns and irritates. I bought a small tub of unrefined shea butter many years ago to heal their hands, thinking that it would heal and protect without all of the additives that burn. It works! They use it every year and after using it for a few days, their hands are like new.

It is really important to buy unrefined shea butter. Once it is refined, the healing properties are gone. Here is the company I used. You use a very small amount and rub it in until it melts into your skin. I have had our little 4 oz. tub for years!

https://aaasheabutter.com/

FancyLuckyLady

Rough_Rock

The Body Shop have the best hand cream for intensively dry hands. It works wonders. My profession is nail care, and thus I am constantly washing my hands and placing them in harsh water (for performing pedicures). The hemp cream was given to me as a Christmas gift last winter when my area experienced the Artic Polar Vortex. It is now my ultinate favorite cream. I would highly recommend it for dry hands in the winter. It is usually $20 per 3.3fl oz tube. However, Once a month, the Body Shop would have their 50% off sale, so sign up for their email newsletter to see when they have the sales.

I hope this will help your dry hands, as it had helped mine.

http://m.thebodyshop-usa.com/mt/www.thebodyshop-usa.com/men-product/mens-view-all/hemp-hand-protector.aspx?un_jtt_v_pdp=yes&un_jtt_redirect

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

Received this as part of a Christmas gift--and it is lovely! Herbacin Kamille (with glycerine). My GF is a gardener and uses it and gave it to me along with some OPI nail strengthener. Is she trying to tell me something?? :devil: lol

cheers--Sharon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results