shape
carat
color
clarity

Endearing, but fiance a bit over-animated about ring.

Zizzy

Shiny_Rock
Not really a complaint and not asking for advice as I know I'm not going to do anything except wait until the novelty wears off but I'm just sharing the following. Has anyone else experienced this with their OH?
Now I am ridiculously, extravagantly delighted with my new ring. I take endless photos, I gaze at it, I frequent Pricescope, I tell The Bloke multiple times a day. However being an artful and duplicitous woman, I keep my gob shut for the most part outside of this forum and my own four walls.
I am aware that though not Pricescope big, at 2 carats, my ring is bigger than many in the UK which makes me extra careful not to shove it in people's faces. There are no pictures on Facebook and when people congratulate me on our engagement I only show them the ring if they ask to see it, and while I'll then say that I love it, I don't bang on about it. However The Bloke appears to have undergone a personality transplant when it comes to the ring, it is quite sweet and hopefully not as obnoxious as it would be if I did it, but every time we see people, he asks if they have seen the ring and then tells them to look at the ring and will either hold my hand up or tell me to show them. Two days ago it was his work Christmas dinner and he did this down the table in a restaurant to his colleagues at the other end. Luckily our friends are lovely and know him well so there's no bad reaction but I do find it quite disconcerting because it is so unlike him. He isn't the kind of man to wave his watch at people or drop designer names into conversation or go on about his car. I love it that he's so excited that he is oblivious to how it could be perceived but I'll be quite relieved when it stops. He's done it to professional connections at work events who neither of us know well, one of whom had just got engaged herself and managed to tell us without demanding we look at her ring. I can't think of anyone, however brief and tenuous the connection, who has not been required to "look at the ring" if our engagement is mentioned: waiting staff, receptionists - if it's got a pulse it's fair game.
I have no intention of robbing him of any of the pleasure he gets out of a ring that has brought me so much, but it is a bit startling!
Honestly, he's a typical Yorkshireman,: not gushy, not flashy, often taciturn, dry sense of humour, low key. Anyone else experienced this? :oops:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is this your first e ring, or an upgrade?

If its your first, he might just be happy about the engagement... Who knows. Maybe he'd have done it at any size just because he's proud

Its nice. You've got someone bragging for you :lol:

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awww, so sweet. Let the man ride it out. He's proud, happy and probably excited for the first and last time about any piece of jewelry :cheeky: .

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this is pretty darn cute! - Especially since it isn't his normal behavior. I can see why you'd be taken a bit by surprise! :D Very sweet. Don't worry, eventually he'll run out of people to show it to!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He bought you a big beautiful ring and he wants to show off what a great job he has done to everyone and is obviously overjoyed he is engaged to you too - he is proud of both, even though occasionally this might be cringeworthy hopefully you will look back one day and see how wonderful that it is.....

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is sweet that he is excited, but I can get how that would make you uncomfortable, especially if you are generally a low key couple who isn't flashy about how much you can spend. Still, I would let him have his fun. Men so often take a backseat to the showing off of the engagement bling, it is pretty cool that he is like "Booya, look at this rock!" :lol:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hopefully, the novelty will wear off soon, however, let him gloat a little for he is obviously very proud of what he has achieved.

Enjoy your ring.

DK :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awww Zizzy, I think that is lovely. Your FI is super excited about being engaged to the love of his life and he just wants to show off the symbol of your love if that makes sense. He's proud of being engaged to you and proud of the ring you are wearing that symbolizes your love and commitment. I think that is super sweet and I would allow him (and you too!) to enjoy this time even if it is showing the ring off in situations you might not be 100% comfortable with...he's doing it not you so that makes it OK in my book! Congratulations and wishing you all the best. :appl:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
If you feel this way about it, can you talk to him about it? There must be some way that you could speak with him about it without hurting his feelings. Maybe something like, "I love my ring and am very excited about it, but it makes me uncomfortable to to show it off." I don't agree that this should be all about how he feels (proud of the ring, the engagement, etc.) because an engagement is about two people, so OP's feelings are valid and should be taken into consideration too. If she's feeling uncomfortable, then the two of them might need to talk about it.
Your ring sounds lovely, OP, but I can understand how you feel - I would feel that way too. Congrats on your new ring:)

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
I think it is very sweet. I think that he is just proud that 1)you said yes when he proposed and have a ring on your hand to show for it and 2) that he was able to get his love the best diamond that he could. Guys look at things differently than women do.

My DH and I have been married for 8 years and he still occasionally makes comments about how he likes my ring better than other people's rings.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One question: Why does everybody get to see it except us? :D

Do a thread on it in Show Me The Bling! It sounds like a beauty!

Show us show us show us! :appl:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just clicked on your name and seen a couple of photos of your ring. It looks amazing - and it's from DeBeers! I don't think I've ever seen photos of a DeBeers stone and setting in real life, only on the website. Do they certify the stones in-house or send them to GIA or AGS?

Oh, I really think that such a ring deserves its own thread.

More pics! More info!

More!

Honestly, I totally get why your guy is so excited but if it makes you uncomfortable maybe have a quiet word.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would also be very uncomfortable with that. I certainly never showed anyone besides family my engagement ring unless they asked. I think it is great if he is excited to be engaged and tells people how happy he is to marry YOU, but the ring should not come up unless someone asks to see it. As far as FB goes, I have seen many pictures of a newly engaged couple and often the girl has her hand across his chest so the ring can be seen in the picture. I think that is much more appropriate than posting a huge picture of a ring alone.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't mention anything to him about it. If his excitement is genuine, that's great. It seems like you are sure that he is not boasting for attention to the purchase, but rather to the event. That's great. In no time at all, you will be used to the size yourself, but since he doesn't get to wear the ring himself, he might always be "surprised" by the sparkler. ;))

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your engagement! Love that he's so excited about the engagement ring. It is a really big deal to women, but I think it's an even bigger deal sometimes to the men/partners who bestow upon their chosen one a very special symbol such as a diamond ring. I know my husband was over the moon about his proposal and the ring he gave me, and I thought that was wonderful. Do enjoy this time and all the excitement and special new feelings. Life is full of fleeting moments and rather than analyze them to death, it's good to sit back sometimes and embrace them and shut off the internal dialogue. You will always look back on the time after your engagement as exciting and proud and happy. Live in the moment, be present, and just enjoy it all. :wavey:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I'm surprised by some of the responses here. An engagement is about two people, so it seems a little unfair to expect OP to ignore her thoughts/feelings in an effort to indulge only his. She has expressed that she is uncomfortable sharing her ring is such a fashion and I have to admit, if my husband held out my hand for each and every person at the dinner table, I'd be embarrassed too. I would give him a big hug, another thanks for such a gorgeous ring, but then politely ask that he try to refrain from offering up the ring unless someone asks. OP should enjoy the engagement too, so if that means toning down the show-n-tell a little bit on her behalf, then I think that's perfectly acceptable.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it's cute that he's excited but it is a little strange that he's so overly showy with EV-eryone even strangers. It's kind of dangerous making it so obvious that you have such a bauble. I would enjoy the glow of newly engaged bliss and if he doesn't calm down after the holidays tell him that you're noticing some unwanted attention that makes you uncomfortable in public places.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1419194433|3805381 said:
I'm surprised by some of the responses here. An engagement is about two people, so it seems a little unfair to expect OP to ignore her thoughts/feelings in an effort to indulge only his. She has expressed that she is uncomfortable sharing her ring is such a fashion and I have to admit, if my husband held out my hand for each and every person at the dinner table, I'd be embarrassed too. I would give him a big hug, another thanks for such a gorgeous ring, but then politely ask that he try to refrain from offering up the ring unless someone asks. OP should enjoy the engagement too, so if that means toning down the show-n-tell a little bit on her behalf, then I think that's perfectly acceptable.

if not by showing it off how is he enjoying it? If after all ita to be enjoyed by the both of them, why shouldn't he get to show it off? She's the one who gets to wear it.

OP. like many, I think ita sweet. I wouldn't say anything and ride it out,but if it really bothers you, I'm sure he would like to be told he's doing something that bothers your. I just think he is proud of it and ypu and your engagement, he doesn't get to wear it and show it off every day like you do. :)

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1419208332|3805437 said:
momhappy|1419194433|3805381 said:

if not by showing it off how is he enjoying it? If after all ita to be enjoyed by the both of them, why shouldn't he get to show it off? She's the one who gets to wear it.

OP. like many, I think ita sweet. I wouldn't say anything and ride it out,but if it really bothers you, I'm sure he would like to be told he's doing something that bothers your. I just think he is proud of it and ypu and your engagement, he doesn't get to wear it and show it off every day like you do. :)

Why shouldn't he show it off? Because OP has said that it makes her feel uncomfortable. She gets to wear the ring because that's how it works (the woman receives and wears an E-ing), so saying that it's somehow okay because she gets to wear it doesn't make sense to me. If I was doing something that made my DH feel uncomfortable, I would certainly want to know about it so that I could stop (or minimize) doing it. I didn't suggest that he stop entirely - it would seem to me that if two people can come together for a marriage, then they should have the ability to come together on many other things. I would suggest some sort of compromise where he gets to share his excitement on some level and she feels comfortable with the sharing too.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like he is very happy of the fabulous job he has done with picking the ring! Congrats on your engagement!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zizzy said:
Not really a complaint and not asking for advice as I know I'm not going to do anything except wait until the novelty wears off but I'm just sharing the following...snip...Has anyone else experienced this with their OH?
Anyone else experienced this? :oops:

Momhappy, It doesn't sound as if Zizzy is distressed about this rather she is asking if anyone else has experienced something like this. If she was really upset that would be a different story. It just sounds as if she is surprised and finds it a bit strange is all. And we are just sharing that many of us here find it sweet and endearing that her FI is so excited about being engaged to the love of his life.

It sounds like a good "problem" to have. Enjoy your engagement, your beautiful ring and your sweet FI Zizzy!!!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Yes, missy, I understand that. I was just sharing my thoughts. I agree that it's a good problem for OP to have :D , but maybe a small problem nonetheless….

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha, yes I agree. I wish all our problems were those kind of problems. :halo:
Hope you are having a good holiday season momhappy. :wavey:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy|1419258182|3805663 said:
Agreed. I've shown DH like 10 different settings so far and he's like "what's the difference." SERIOUSLY?!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
missy|1419258182|3805663 said:

Thanks, missy! Wishing you a wonderful Holiday as well:)

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Yes, this may embarrass you a little now, but oh, what a memory that will make for you in years to come. It will put a smile on your face each time you think about it.

Just think what he's going to do when you have your first child? :bigsmile:

If he doesn't stop and it still bothers you, of course you can mention it. But, it sounds so nice. You know, if he usually not the braggy type, no one will mind.

Annette

Zizzy

Shiny_Rock
Hello and thanks for all your lovely replies!
It certainly isn't making me miserable, it's just a bit embarrassing at the time and I'm surprised at his lack of self-awareness in this one area. Since I posted there haven't been any new shout outs for the ring. Admittedly we haven't been out and about much!
I can't imagine it's boasting, as if it was, he'd have boasted before about other things and he just doesn't. I think there's maybe a few factors: he is quite proud I think that despite us both being a bit long in the tooth, he did a proper proposal in a romantic location (I was surprised and delighted); he is disinterested in diamonds so this was a big leap for him and he was surprised by how much he liked it when he got it, - he says it does look good (!); although he is privately very affectionate, he isn't into massive PDAs and perhaps pointing out the ring is easier than saying a lot of soppy stuff to his friends; he also likes people to know where he proposed, so perhaps he's articulating facts that signify feelings rather than feelings (if you get my drift).
I bought him a beautiful (and expensive) Breitling watch the weekend we got engaged and while he loves it, and tells me when someone notices it which they occasionally do, he doesn't point it out to anyone or mention it. Ha! Maybe that's the cure! I should start yanking his sleeve up and showing it to all and sundry! - Just kidding!
I'm sure it will die down as our engagement becomes old news, - which can't be long.

I will post a thread about the ring when I manage to take better photos. I've noticed that De Beers isn't represented here much. I would have gone to Whiteflash for a solitaire but I'm pretty sure he got the De Beers idea because of a 2 carat+ De Beers ring that I spotted on eBay and seriously considered getting, not as an e-ring, just because it looked a steal. I dithered because of an HCA of over 3 and it sold. I probably wouldn't have bought it anyway because if the HCA but I did have pangs because of the price - £11,500 - very reasonable for the UK. He knew about that and even though I personally wouldn't pay the extra for a B&M brand when it comes to diamond solitaires, it obviously stuck with him. We had also been inside the De Beers Bond street store on my daughter's 21st two years ago and both admired the grace and elegance of the designs. I am a bit intimidated by the doormen and dark glass but once inside the staff were charming.
He is more into brands than I am and unaware of the quality and scope of vendors like Whiteflash. One thing that is nice about De Beers is that they will clean and service your ring annually and check it 6 monthly for free for life. I assume they charge for repair work but I still think that's impressive. We're going down there in January to order our wedding bands. I'll be sure to post!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results