shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find a 5 stone OEC band

tmot14

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone!

My husband is letting me pick out a combined birthday/valentine's day/anniversary present this year, and I have my heart set on a 5 stone ring. I absolutely love the 5 stone AVR bands, but they're out of budget so I'm looking toward a great quality OEC band.

I did order this 1 ctw Birks ring that I saw in the JbG newsletter (http://jewelsbygrace.smugmug.com/Vintage-and-Antique-Rings/Antique-5-Stone-Old-European/i-bHT8kf5/A), though I have some reservations about the setting. I'm not crazy about how "spikey" it looks, but the stones look gorgeous so perhaps I'll feel differently after seeing it in person. I do like two toned settings, and I like scroll work. I don't really like the bezeled settings I've seen in some 5 stone rings.

I think I prefer yellow or rose gold due to the warmer nature of OEC stones, but I'm open white gold as well (I'm assuming platinum will be out of my price range). Priority is that they perform well and show off that gorgeous OEC pattern, and the larger the stones the better (of course!). Budget is <$3k.

I've looked in the usual places I've seen mentioned on this forum (JbG, Love Affair Diamonds, OWD, Lang's) but haven't seen anything similar. I'm definitely a comparison shopper, so would love to see if you come up with any other options to compare to the Birk's ring that should arrive in a few days.

Thanks in advance :).

tmot14

Shiny_Rock
Hi HopeDream! Thanks for your response, and sorry for not getting back sooner. I did check RubyLane and didn't find a whole lot (though that first link is gorgeous!).

A 5 stone AVR is the dream, but it's nearly twice our budget. Maybe one day!

Does anyone else know of any other sites I should be checking? Thanks in advance!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I couldn't find anything like what I wanted, so I ended up sourcing the stones and having it made myself. What kind of carat weight and size are you wanting? If you go small enough, I kind of feel like using OECs isn't really worth it, since, speaking from experience, they are hard to find (took me a year). I'd probably stick to trying to find something ready made. When does the band from Grace arrive?

tmot14

Shiny_Rock
FrekeChild|1419130923|3805088 said:
I couldn't find anything like what I wanted, so I ended up sourcing the stones and having it made myself. What kind of carat weight and size are you wanting? If you go small enough, I kind of feel like using OECs isn't really worth it, since, speaking from experience, they are hard to find (took me a year). I'd probably stick to trying to find something ready made. When does the band from Grace arrive?
Thanks for sharing your experience. Would you mind sharing photos of your band? Ideally I'd like between 1ctw and 1.5ctw in a size 7 ring. Nothing too blingy since I'm hoping to wear this as a RHR, but also wear it on my left hand when I'm at work (I work in community healthcare, so don't want to bring too much attention to myself). There was a shipping mixup with the band from Grace but hopefully it will be here in a day or two. I'll be sure to post lots of photos regardless of what I decide.

tmot14

Shiny_Rock
Oh, and to clarify, I am set on an OEC/AVR band. Long story short, a few months ago when we were shopping for my engagement ring upgrade, I let a fantastic AVR get away and this is how I plan to make up for it.

If the Birks band from Grace doesn't wow my socks off, perhaps I'll start a fund for the AVR band and keep my fingers crossed they have them in stock (there's only 1 available at the moment...eek!).

tmot14

Shiny_Rock
Just to update, I ended up returning the Birks band. It was beautiful, but the stones were too small to really notice the OEC pattern. I think I'll put this project on the back burner for a while and save up for a larger AVR or OEC right hand ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results