shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts please on my antique pear

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
My oh so wonderful husband has surprised me! (that's not easy to do) With a loose old cut pear!! Once I finished gushing I said "I have to get this on PS and get setting ideas!!!" Happily, he understands.......

Stats from GIA:
2.56 c
VS1 K

So please, may I ask for your opinions and ideas?? She will be my "engagement ring" (we've been married for 11 years!) and will be set in platinum. I'm pretty sure I'll want to bezel her to protect her. And I'll want it to be comfortable and wearable.
I have so many thoughts running through my head and everyone here always has such great ideas! Halo? Just bezel? With or without milgrain? Maybe a three stone bezel? Have you ever seen a three stone with a pear center?

I've included two inspiration pics. One is a three stone that has two rounds. I imagine possibly using my fancy yellow OEC along with the antique pear

I wish I could get better pictures, I'll keep trying. She's really very nice & white!
All ideas and thoughts welcome please!

Anyone have any recommendations of jewelers in the North East? I'd love to use Grace or Erika but the thought of putting this baby in the mail all the way to CA or WA has me very nervous!

img_6407.jpg

img_6408.jpg

img_6409.jpg

img_6410.jpg

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
Inspiration pics

pear_and_rounds_ring.jpg

whiteflash_0.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love it. How close are you to Quest Jewelers?

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh! Good thought Niel, thanks! I was only thinking of Philly or NYC - I hadn't considered VA. I have family there so its not too bad of a trek if I decide to go that route. Have you used them before?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jbkhere|1419103496|3804863 said:
Ooh! Good thought Niel, thanks! I was only thinking of Philly or NYC - I hadn't considered VA. I have family there so its not too bad of a trek if I decide to go that route. Have you used them before?
No I haven't. But I was just looking into them as I'm shopping around for a setting myself so they were in my mind.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have I ever seen a three stone pear? Oh, sure. You have your baguettes or your pear sides (I bet its hard to find matching antique pear accents. )
Or of course,there is the prettiest pear three stone I ever saw, this one from the Titanic exibit.

uploadfromtaptalk1419105424376.jpg

Michelez

Shiny_Rock
Antique pear!!!! So love this!!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Hunt Country Jewelers. If you search, you can find stunning rings in the colored stone forum from this jeweller. And on their website, are archives dating to 2006, where you can view some unbelievable pieces.

http://www.huntcountry.com/

cheers--Sharon

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondhelp123

Rough_Rock
stunning stone- I love it! I have seen three stone pears with round for sides or sideways pears (e-w) and they are lovely. I also love the halo that was posted above. Have you looked at Diamonds by Lauren settings? I have seen some amazing pears on their site.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bezel with milgraine sounds devine!

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
Wow! Love the pear!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a beautiful stone! A bezel is great if that is your preference, but that girdle doesn't look extremely thin, so it wouldn't likely be necessary to protect the stone.

Here is one of my favorite antique pear rings:

http://loupetroop.com/listings/rings-natural-diamond-center/antique-pear-diamond-with-gia-report-in-vintage-style-filigree-diamond-ring

I'd probably use Steven Kirsch in NYC for something like that if you want to hand carry the ring to a ring maker in the NYC area. I will tell you, though, that people send diamonds all the time across the country to have rings made!

Here are a ton of pictures:

https://www.google.com/search?q=antique+pear+rings&nfpr=1&biw=1517&bih=693&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=OCSWVKSMGoOgNsaEhKgD&ved=0CDUQsAQ&dpr=0.9

You'll see a couple with bezels, but I personally would prefer a halo (like my first link) over a bezel on an antique pear.

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks all!

Niel - I do love that Titanic ring. Not sure I can swing 1 carat each side stones though and I like the scale of those size stones together....

Sharon - thank you! I'm adding Hunt to my list to check out!

JoCoJenn - that setting is amazing!

Marymm - I hadn't yet looked at BE AND they're in NYC! Thank you!!

diamondhelp - I'm also adding DBL to my look list!

All - if I were to do a halo (or really anything with melee) will using MRB be ok with an old stone like this?

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Your diamond is gorgeous!!! Personally I love the idea of a thin milgrained bezel or a classic harry winston style with side baguettes.
Can't wait to see what you decide. I have no experience with halo's but many on here recommend single cut MRBs for antique cut diamonds.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe DbL made that pear setting I linked on JbG. ;-)

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fab stone! Love the chunkiness :love:

I'm a big fan of pears in halos. IMO it highlights the shape so well. Here's a PS pic I saved a while ago but have no idea whom it belonged to. Apologies to a fellow PSer if it's your ring.

Here's a photo of another pear in a halo. It's a very delicate one on a thin band. Absolutely gorgeous in person.

1ct_f_si_pear_halo.jpg

20140411_203429-1_1_1.jpg

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
Oh diamondseeker! Everytime a see a CvB piece I love it! My only hesitation with shipping across the country is how difficult it would be to find a stone like this again. Not saying' I won't suck it up though and send it off.... May I ask - why do you prefer a halo to a bezel?
GIA did grade the stone as having extremely thin to thick girdle.

Thank you Woofmama! I'm not a fan of baguette sides but I do like the milgrain!

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, what an awesome stone. I can't wait to see what you do with this beauty! :love:

Mnmuffin

Rough_Rock
marymm|1419114562|3804940 said:
When I saw your beautiful antique-cut pear, I immediately thought of this BE solitaire setting - https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/3ct-cushion-solitaire-from-be-finally.208121/ - if you wanted more bling, maybe pave single-cuts on the shank?

YES I love this setting.

What a beautiful chunky pear. Lucky you! I adore the setting marymm posted but also really love a vintagey halo on a pear. Might be nice to set it in a miligrained bezel tightly inside halo as you wouldn't need to worry about it. I really like that mine has one and I'd do it again.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jbkhere|1419129171|3805073 said:
Oh diamondseeker! Everytime a see a CvB piece I love it! My only hesitation with shipping across the country is how difficult it would be to find a stone like this again. Not saying' I won't suck it up though and send it off.... May I ask - why do you prefer a halo to a bezel?
GIA did grade the stone as having extremely thin to thick girdle.

Thank you Woofmama! I'm not a fan of baguette sides but I do like the milgrain!

USPS Registered Mail is extremely safe although not the fastest. It is the safest way to send something worth $25k or less (but if you have your own insurance on the stone, you may be able to still send an item worth more than $25k by Registered Mail). I live on the east coast and I have used Victor for a project and I definitely plan to do something with Caysie in the near future! Seriously, I would not let location determine your ring maker!

I just prefer an antique style setting for antique stones. I like the one Elysian had made and something similar could absolutely be designed for a pear. If you are worried about too much bling, I think single cut melee really help to make it more subtle. I could not see the whole girdle, but it must just be small areas that are extremely thin since you can see a lot of thick girdle in the pics. A halo is fine for stones with very thin spots as well. I just wouldn't set it in a solitaire. I like bezels sometimes, and even a bezel with halo is nice. But the stone is chunky and antique, and I just see plain bezels as being more modern. That said, it is just my preference and you may like something different! I love your stone, though! Where did he find it? (I may have missed it if you have said.)

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
TITANIC RING!!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marymm|1419114562|3804940 said:
When I saw your beautiful antique-cut pear, I immediately thought of this BE solitaire setting - https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/3ct-cushion-solitaire-from-be-finally.208121/ - if you wanted more bling, maybe pave single-cuts on the shank?

OMG I love your antique pear. GORGEOUS! :love:
And I love marymm's suggestion. That would be amazing. Though with your gorgeous stone you cannot go wrong. I would allow the pear to speak for itself and simple and classic would be my preference (if it was my diamond that is...don't I wish!).

Enjoy in health and happiness and I cannot wait to see what you decide regarding the setting of this beauty!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really love this ring! it would be perfect with the new pear!

Niel|1419105428|3804872 said:
Have I ever seen a three stone pear? Oh, sure. You have your baguettes or your pear sides (I bet its hard to find matching antique pear accents. )
Or of course,there is the prettiest pear three stone I ever saw, this one from the Titanic exibit.

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for your good wishes and of course ideas! :dance:

I do think I'm liking the idea of a milgrain bezel inside a halo. Or possibly a three stone ala Titanic. But I'll still be looking for ideas!

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock
A 3-stone would be divine! Are you thinking perhaps side pears?

mdmc

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Wow! No suggestions just wanted to tell you how beautiful it is. Can't wait to see what you do with it. Please don't forget to post pictures.

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The Titanic one has my vote!

Love, love your pear - a rare beauty. Congratulations. :clap:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results