shape
carat
color
clarity

Simple setting- Can anyone do it?

onlyincali

Rough_Rock
How important is the setting, and who sets it for SIMPLE, single diamond princess cuts? There is a local jeweler who my family has used for decades that I'd love to have set my single princess stone in a simple band. I'm only interested in having him set it because he's dealt with my families stuff (who are NOT really into jewelry) and he's very honest.... His shop is small and kinda crummy but he's been in business forever.

Is having a stone set something that you only take to the best jewelers or can most reasonably skilled and experienced people do it? Is there any simple, plain band setting that is better and more secure for a single princess cut stone?

Thanks!

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm crazy about who I let set stones for me because I'm very particular about height, prongs, finish, etc. I guess other people might not care about it as much, but those people probably aren't on PS ;-). For a princess cut stone in particular, I would want to go to someone awesome because the corners are really vulnerable to chipping.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does he do the work on site, or does he send it out.

If he does it onsite, that is good. Ask to see the work from his bench, and see what you think.

If he sends it out... then he's not really doing the work now is he?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There's nothing particularly simple about properly setting princess cuts but we've got nothing to go on to decide if you're guy is skilled. Talk to him, look at some of his work and see if you're comfortable with him. One of the advantages of the smaller shops is that you actually have the opportunity to talk to the person doing the work so I actually count it as a positive that this is a one man shop that's been around for a while.

onlyincali

Rough_Rock
He's been in business for roughly 30 years. His shop is small and ugly and filled with used Jewelry and clocks....mostly clocks. He is SUPER honest and has been good to my family for over a decade (made earings for my grandma, fixes their clocks, watch batteries, sold and bought back silver, etc.) He's the kind of guy I WANT to give my money to. He'll tell you the truth even if it cost's him money to do so, doesn't pressure ANY sale, gives free advice all the time, etc.

Now that I've said all that...this doesn't mean he's a good jeweler. I believe he mostly works on clocks and watches. He doesn't have showpieces of $100k. jewelry that he's made, and quite honestly, I don't know what good work from bad work looks like. When I asked him if he could get the setting and place the stone he said "yeah, no problem! I'll get it set the same day for you! Either myself or John will do it...John's family so your in good hands either way". He's obviously confident in his own work....but.... Is it easy to botch a solitaire princess cut setting? I just don't know how much skill is required to set it. Is it something where any jeweler who's been in the business for 30 years can do it...or is it something you can truly tell a difference between a "normal" job and an "amazing" job?

Edit- If this guy doesn't sound like the "right" guy...how do I go about finding one in San Diego? Go on feel and look at their work (with my untrained eye)? I'm assuming I should stay away from chain stores? What should one expect to pay to have a stone set if I take in the setting and the stone? Am I better off sending the stone back to James Allen (where I purchased it from and where I will be purchasing the setting from) and let them set it? I'm lost as you can tell. Thanks for all the help you guys provide. I've read many posts from all three of the above posters and have been amazed at how helpful and selfless you guys are with sharing knowledge. T H A N K Y O U!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes, send it back to JA. Nearly every time there's a problem with a ring, if the setter, diamond seller and setting manufacturer are different people it leads to a fingerpointing session. Add to that the fact that most jewelers do NOT have warranty coverage or even take breakage liability risk on things they didn't sell. Lastly, JA will probably do it free or at a discount since they sold the whole thing. Call them up and ask about how they like things to be shipped. They may even be able to do you a deal on that.

After it comes back, get it appraised by an independent appraiser there. They can inspect the quality of the craftsmanship and you don't have to know what to look for. They'll do that. You've got some of the best in the country there. Try Thom Underwood for example.

None of that is a slam of your jeweler by the way. It does sound like his heart is in clocks, not jewelry, but that doesn't make him bad at it. Yes, it takes practice. No, it's not all that hard.

tina sparkle

Shiny_Rock
I believe if you are purchasing the setting from James Allen as well, it is a no brainer to have them set their stone.
Good luck.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
TOTALLY agree. Avoid finger pointing. Have JA set it.

What setting are you getting?

onlyincali

Rough_Rock
Not sure on the setting. She wants something super simple and showed me pictures of a simple white gold band as her "dream ring". Debating on going that route or doing something similar but with three small diamonds on either side of the actual diamond. It's only a 1 k princess cut and I'm afraid it will look too small and plain if presented as she hinted towards.

Regarding JA- I already have the stone I think I'm choosing. As in, they shipped it to me and I have it. Haven't chose a setting yet. Is it expensive to send a stone back to them insured so they can set it in whatever setting I choose?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If she wants a solitaire. Get her a solitiare.

There are a lot of lovely solitaires. And the great thing about a solitaire is she can dress it up with any wedding band she wants. Just make sure to get a solitaire that allows a flush fit band.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
JA doesn't really have any nice simple solitiares for princesses that allow for a flush fit.

That's the bad news. Here's the good news.
They can order any setting you want from Stuller. And stuller settings are nice quality and very budget friendly. Only down side is the setting won't be returnable. But you aren't talking a huge investment of money.

I'd get her one of these:
http://www.stuller.com/products/build/122455/?groupId=121881#/center-stone
http://www.stuller.com/products/build/122218/10298418/?groupId=120216#/center-stone
http://www.stuller.com/products/build/122100/9139037/?groupId=119111#/center-stone

onlyincali

Rough_Rock
WOW. I really am a dumb man! I thought there was only one type of solitaire setting. I thought I could go to any jeweler and say "give me a solitaire setting" and they'd all be the same... Crap....now more decisions! Thanks sooooooo much for pointing this out and for hand feeding me options! GREATLY APPRECIATED! I'm all ears if anything else is thought of!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can suggest things, but can you show us the picture she showed you?

onlyincali

Rough_Rock
The one from JA that you posted is too bulky/heavy for her tastes.

I think this one is beautiful and something she'd love....but what's up with the line running along the inside of the ring? I'm thinking about having something engraved inside, wondering if that line is the design or just ugly/cheaply made? Also, what's up with the odd curved wedding band in the picture that shows two rings together?

Again, please please excuse my ignorance on this subject, I feel really stupid when talking about rings/stones but I'm trying!

onlyincali

Rough_Rock
Niel|1419106062|3804878 said:
I can suggest things, but can you show us the picture she showed you?

She showed me this ring but in the .70 size.
http://www.costco.com/.product.11764858.html?cm_sp=RichRelevance-_-itempageVerticalRight-_-CategorySiloedViewCP&cm_vc=itempageVerticalRight|CategorySiloedViewCP

This is one that she said she likes. Please keep in mind, she is NOT "into" fancy things because of our budget...its not that she doesn't like them, she just doesn't pay attention to them because they aren't a reality. She's not really "into" jewelry and certainly didn't spend a lot of time to pick the above ring as her perfect dream ring...it was simply a "I'd love something like this!" suggestion.

In other words, I have plenty of wiggle room and would love to get her something a little nicer than she expects, hence my leaning towards the 6 little diamonds on a solitaire like setting. Although, I'm starting to like the clean look of the solitaire settings posted a few posts above.

I'm ALL EARS! Thanks!!!!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
onlyincali|1419106784|3804879 said:
The one from JA that you posted is too bulky/heavy for her tastes.

I think this one is beautiful and something she'd love....but what's up with the line running along the inside of the ring? I'm thinking about having something engraved inside, wondering if that line is the design or just ugly/cheaply made? Also, what's up with the odd curved wedding band in the picture that shows two rings together?

Again, please please excuse my ignorance on this subject, I feel really stupid when talking about rings/stones but I'm trying!

the line is just "Reflection" from the computer generated image.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
what stone did you pick? and also, what is her finger size? and my apologies if I missed, but whats the budget?

onlyincali

Rough_Rock
I have the first two in my hands. Pretty sure I've eliminated the first one (1.2 carat) because it doesn't seem to shine/catch your eye like the 1.01 does. Although I'll really miss the size, I want something that will be eye grabbing with shine/sparkle. I'm waiting on the gemologist review of the third stone (1.02) and will likely have it shipped to me to compare against the 1.01.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/1.20-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-sku-318779

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/1.01-carat-i-color-vs1-clarity-sku-382037

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/1.02-carat-i-color-vs1-clarity-sku-382013

Thanks!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
onlyincali|1419109045|3804902 said:
I have the first two in my hands. Pretty sure I've eliminated the first one (1.2 carat) because it doesn't seem to shine/catch your eye like the 1.01 does. Although I'll really miss the size, I want something that will be eye grabbing with shine/sparkle. I'm waiting on the gemologist review of the third stone (1.02) and will likely have it shipped to me to compare against the 1.01.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/1.20-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-sku-318779

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/1.01-carat-i-color-vs1-clarity-sku-382037

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/1.02-carat-i-color-vs1-clarity-sku-382013

Thanks!

Oh yeah get that last one in hand. That one is by far my favorite. And I think you'll notice a difference when comparing.

What is her finger size again? There's a setting I'm thinking of that might be perfect, if you really think she likes a bit of bling, but its for a very small finger size.

onlyincali

Rough_Rock
I believe size 7 finger. She's not really into "bling" persay. More simple/clean looking. So far I really like this one. Will the wedding ring HAVE to have a curve in it like the one shown? Is this setting something that can be worn every day?

BUT!!!!! James Allen (who I'm now annoyed with) will not even take or quote custom orders until JANUARY FIRST!!!! As in....wont even give me a price on the ring....not to mention, this will now put me past the date I MUST HAVE the ring by if I wait for the first to come around, wait for them to get it, set the stone, etc.....

Looks like I'm back to square one with my local jewler

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
You waited too long. Christmas is the busiest season in the gem and jewelry world and there are SO MANY proposals to be made at and around Christmas, it'd make your head spin. I am an old married lady (5 years, hah!) and I just had two friends propose within a week of each other. So, am I surprised that your ring can't be done? No, not at all. Sorry about it though. I don't know that you could get a ring this late in the game unless it's premade, already put together and you can just go buy it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Where are you located?

You may not be back to square one. There may be a local PS jeweler near you with stock.

What she wants is called a "cathedral solitiare setting that allows a flush fit wedding band." That's what you have to ask for.

We have good jewelers in most metro areas. There may be one near enough to you that you can call, have them get stock for you, and run over there and pick up a ring.

But Freak is right. You wanted WAY too long. Most of the time, you want to order LATEST first week of December for a Christmas proposal.

Another option, on the off chance there is no local jeweler near you is to work with ID Jewelry, Good Old Gold, or Brilliantly Engaged as they all have stock in their brick and mortar stores AND onsite benches (which is what you need) and they should have 1 carat AGS0 princesses and lovely solitaires for them.

Just make sure you call them, if they are open tomorrow, or Monday latest, and pick something MONDAY latest so they can Fed Ex it out to you in time. Also it is better to have the ring shipped to your local Fed Ex depot this time of year, then go pick it up (you'll need your ID), than to have it shipped to you home. Work is good too, if there is someone to sign for it. But the depot is the best, honestly.

onlyincali

Rough_Rock
I am located in San Diego. Willing to make a drive if worthwhile. I already have 3 stones chosen, just need to finalize from the three.

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough, but I am NOT attempting a Christmas proposal. I need the ring by the END of the first week of January. I understand that I still did not leave an ideal amount of time, however, I feel this is very doable without too crazy of a rush. In other words, I hope I still have time to choose my diamond (2 in my hands already anyways, awaiting one more) and to choose the setting I really want. Am I being overly positive about this situation? Is two and a half weeks really not enough time?

Is the setting I chose below ok for everyday wear?

Also, will the below setting allow a flush fit? I notice the ring they have in the picture is bent.... Please teach me!
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_14191463261056&key=aeebae177388a4ccd26a70d8136a5efd&libId=e98c629e-aa95-4e01-9b4d-491bc7b5f61a&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pricescope.com%2Fforum%2Fpost3805159.html%23p3805159&v=1&out=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.stuller.com%2Fproducts%2Fbuild%2F122455%2F%3FgroupId%3D121881%23%2Fcenter-stone&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pricescope.com%2Fforum%2Fposting.php%3Fmode%3Dedit%26f%3D3%26p%3D3805159&title=Simple%20setting-%20Can%20anyone%20do%20it%3F%20%3A%20RockyTalky%20%E2%80%A2%20Diamond%20Jewelry%20Forum%20-%20Compare%20Diamond%20Prices%2C%20Discussions%20%26%20Diamond%20Information&txt=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.stuller.com%2Fproducts%2Fbuild%2F122455%2F%3FgroupId%3D121881%23%2Fcenter-stone

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you asked, V-tip prongs are the safest for princess stones, to protect the corners from damage.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A heads-up re the Stuller mounting, in case you didn't notice: that is not a stock mounting which you can expect Stuller will be able to quickly deliver in the size you need to the diamond vendor/your local jeweler for setting. Also, it concerns me that you don't seem 100% certain of her ring size & I don't think returns are usually possible on made-to-order Stuller mountings (of course, you'll want to nail down the return-refund policies with whoever would order the Stuller setting for you).

Would you consider proposing with just the diamond & the two of you subsequently deciding together on the mounting (and wedding bands). This would enable her to, for example, try on a knife edge -- and you could be certain of the correct ring size.

onlyincali

Rough_Rock
I'm concerned about not knowing her size as well, however, I must propose with the actual ring for a few reasons. Is it possible to re-size a half size if needed? Better to go up or down?

Will the setting above allow a "normal" wedding ring to worn with it? Is it considered "v-tip prongs" JulieN? (I'm assuming so based on the look but I've been wrong on pretty much EVERYTHING up till now...)

Thanks!

edit- Would one of these make the stone look better or bigger than the other? Anything "wrong" or to be aware of with either of these? Is there a reason the first one (BG) is relatively expensive for being so simple?

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/rachel-14k-white-gold-5915w14

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok then, you best bets are the ones I listed above. Good Old Gold, Brilliantly Engaged, and ID Jewelry.
For San Diego, there are a number of stores in the LA metro area.

But honestly, since you have a LITTLE time, then those are your best bets.

At IDJ tell them you want an AGS0 cushion I color or better and eyeclean. And what I said above about the solitaire. ANY of the above can get the Stuller settings for you.

The Rachel you posted above from BGD is AMAZING. If they can do that for you (they make everything to order, so I doubt it, they aren't a BM).

onlyincali

Rough_Rock
I'm set on the stones I already have, not really interested in having them pick one for me. I know, its stupid, but it I've spent a LOT of time finding the stone and feel like it makes it a little more personal picking it out myself. I'm pretty set on taking my stone somewhere and having it placed in a setting.

Is the BG setting better than the other one? Can both be worn with a wedding ring?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
So they can get you the stones in time. So you are buying those. But its the setting that's the issue?
Then call BGD and see if they can do either of those for you.

Why? I know the BGD bench's finishing is high. So they will finish either of them for you. My preference is for the in house setting. I think it's a gorgeous setting.

You want a high quality finish on a setting.

You picked nice ones.

Honestly, you should send the setting to the stone vendor for setting. But if JA can't do that for you (set the stone in an outside setting in time), then you can get the stone insured THEN send it to BGD for setting.

You would do that at Jewelers Mutual. :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results