shape
carat
color
clarity

New to this... Attempting to educate myself.

theque

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

Please forgive this long post as I introduce myself.

I am 37 years old and have previously been married. Unfortunately at the time I was 17 years old and just rushed into something that I clearly did not fully understand. That marriage lasted 15 years before we decided it just was not working out.

Four years ago, I met the love of my life. I cannot imagine a day in this world without her. I have now decided I want to ask her for her hand in marriage and live the rest of my life with her. Even though I have been married before, and even though their is a 99.9% chance she is going to say yes; I have never been so nervous in my life.

After knowing her for four years, I know she would love, adore, cherish and even proudly display and brag about a cracker jack ring if I gave it to her; but I want to give her the best I can. As I stated above, I have been married before, but I proposed with a $500 Zales ring and have absolutely no clue what I am doing. Well, that is not completely true; I have been lurking on this forum for about a week and have learned quite a bit.

I know she loves Tiffany's as I have purchased a few items from them in the past. In fact she owns more Tiffany jewelry than anything else (even her eye glasses are Tiffany). I honestly though about just going to Tiffany and getting a ring and calling it a day. Note* I am not in a hurry to make this purchase; though I want to do it in the next few months. After reading online a bit, with Tiffany you are indeed paying a bit for the name. I am not in any way claiming they do not have stellar quality, but the name (and advertising behind that name) comes with a price.

Now that my slight OCD has kicked in, I have spent more than 60 hours reading this forum the last week. Not once have I read that the Tiffany engagement ring is sub-par. What I have come to the conclusion of is that Tiffany builds, markets, and sells some of the best settings in the world. In those settings happen to be well above average diamonds. However, those diamonds are not necessarily (and often not empirically) the best sparkling diamonds available.

With all of that said, I have decided I will end up with one of two options. First is to just get a classic Tiffany solitaire and call it a day, which I am leaning further away from. Second is to purchase the best diamond I can and have it set in a classic Tiffany "style" solitaire band in platinum. The more research I have done makes me want to do the latter. With that, though, is a lot of stress in ensuring I feel I have purchased at or above the quality of the Tiffany stone.

From everything I have read, I think my order of preference (of the 4 C's) is as follows. 1) Cut... as this is the major determining factor for sparkle and shine. I want it to sparkle and shine from across the room (looking for round brilliant). 2) Carat... I would like to purchase her at minimum a 1 ct. stone, this would be the first choice for upgrading. 3) Color... From what I have read I think I want a minimum of H in the color scale as on a quality cut in most, if not all, lighting conditions it is colorless. 4) Clarity... This is an engagement ring, not an investment for resale. All I am looking for is eye clean so VS2 or greater?

As a product manager myself, I understand the concept of diminishing returns. For example the difference in D -> G is slight at best, but the price difference is major. What I am not familiar with is is the diminishing returns on the cut itself. I have been looking at Whiteflash and DGD a lot. Are we into diminishing returns of ACA vs. ES or Signature vs. Advance? I want the best sparkle, but if there is no distinguishable difference to the naked eye, I would clearly move to the ES or Advance.

I just realized I did not post my budget. I am looking to be in around $15,000 total. The setting will run me about $1250 from WF in platinum if I buy through them. This leaves just under $14,000 for the diamond itself. The $15,000 limit is not absolute, but highly preferred unless there is a stellar deal that I just cannot walk away from. Also, is there a "good" time of the year to purchase a diamond?

Thanks in advance,

Ray

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm burned out for the day. You aren't ready to propose. And you should buy and propose within the vendor's return/exchange window. So unless you are planning on proposing in the next couple weeks, there's no real point in us posting diamonds for you right now as a result.

And since it sounds like you want a round brilliant in a 6 prong setting, so you can easily do that in 48 hours.

Do me a favor just post this when you are actually ready to propose:

Stone budget:
What you want:
Color:
Clarity:
Size:
Shape:
Faceting: if applicable.
Vendor preference:
Setting budget:
Setting style:
Setting Metal:

I know you said Tiffany six prong setting. And you like WF's settings. BGD also has some great ones. Are you stuck on WF?

Also would you consider a pre-owned Tiffany?

theque

Rough_Rock
Thanks.

I am not stuck on WF at all. Just seem to have good pricing and great reviews.

I would certainly consider a used Tiffany in great condition.

-Ray

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Something like this HCA of 0.8 wire price of $11,322 for the stone would be my choice ;

https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/972twh

Or this HCA of 1.30 - $12686.00 wire price for the stone;

https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/em9fhz

Put into this setting;

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-gabriella-six-prong-solitaire

Or this setting;

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/six-prong-pave-solitaire-with-scalloped-basket

I am suggesting Victor's rings because they are nicer IMHO than the Tiffany product.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Please note that I am a vendor and take anything I say with a grain of salt as I might be trying to trick you into working with me...

You have stated that the love of your life LOVES Tiffany.

You have stated that you are aware that their diamonds are not "sub par" but also that they are not "top shelf".

BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU HAVE NOT STATED THAT YOU ARE TAKING HER FEELINGS ABOUT TIFFANY INTO ACCOUNT!

Yes, you will pay more for the Tiffany ring and you can get a better cut diamond for less from many of the vendors here.

Yes you can get a Tiffany style ring here for less than you will pay Tiffany.

But, can you really put a price on the sentiment and emotion that you will engender by buying her a Tiffany ring?

Unless she tells you otherwise, you risk her having the most special ring you can afford with the most fantastic cut in the world that actually looks better than the Tiffany that she wants and having her trudge around looking at this magnificent ring going, "Gee, this is all I'm worth."

Personally, I think you are possibly making an error in judgement, due to the very logical thought that you can get a better diamond and equal quality ring for less here than at Tiffany. Your logic is solid, but I question that you have given enough thought to your purpose for this ring and the one thing you KNOW she will treasure above all others.

Just the thoughts of this grandfather who has seen things go well and go wrong over the years. This has a tremendous potential for going wrong.

Think it through carefully, very carefully, then do what you believe to be correct.

Respectfully submitted,

Wink

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wink|1419004198|3804200 said:
Please note that I am a vendor and take anything I say with a grain of salt as I might be trying to trick you into working with me...

You have stated that you are aware that their diamonds are not "sub par" but also that they are not "top shelf".

YOU HAVE NOT STATED THAT YOU ARE TAKING HER FEELINGS ABOUT TIFFANY INTO ACCOUNT!

Yes, you will pay more for the Tiffany ring and you can get a better cut diamond for less from many of the vendors here.

But, can you really put a price on the sentiment and emotion that you will engender by buying her a Tiffany ring?

Unless she tells you otherwise, you risk her having the most special ring you can afford with the most fantastic cut in the world that actually looks better than the Tiffany that she wants and having her trudge around looking at this magnificent ring going, "Gee, this is all I'm worth."

Personally, I think you are possibly making an error in judgement, due to the very logical thought that you can get a better diamond and equal quality ring for less here than at Tiffany. Your logic is solid, but I question that you have given enough thought to your purpose for this ring and the one thing you KNOW she will treasure above all others.

Just the thoughts of this grandfather who has seen things go well and go wrong over the years. This has a tremendous potential for going wrong.

Think it through carefully, very carefully, then do what you believe to be correct.

Respectfully submitted,

Wink
Wink, you old sentimentalist!

Sage advice, for sure. I think an important quesion is, does she love Tiffany for the styling and quality or does she love it for the cache of the brand name? If the former, then the OP is on the right track. If the latter, better listen to the Winkster or risk unintended disappointment.

It turns out selecting a diamond is not only about the 4 C's...

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
theque|1418943693|3803853 said:
Hello all,

Please forgive this long post as I introduce myself.

I am 37 years old and have previously been married. Unfortunately at the time I was 17 years old and just rushed into something that I clearly did not fully understand. That marriage lasted 15 years before we decided it just was not working out.

Four years ago, I met the love of my life. I cannot imagine a day in this world without her. I have now decided I want to ask her for her hand in marriage and live the rest of my life with her. Even though I have been married before, and even though their is a 99.9% chance she is going to say yes; I have never been so nervous in my life.

After knowing her for four years, I know she would love, adore, cherish and even proudly display and brag about a cracker jack ring if I gave it to her; but I want to give her the best I can. As I stated above, I have been married before, but I proposed with a $500 Zales ring and have absolutely no clue what I am doing. Well, that is not completely true; I have been lurking on this forum for about a week and have learned quite a bit.

I know she loves Tiffany's as I have purchased a few items from them in the past. In fact she owns more Tiffany jewelry than anything else (even her eye glasses are Tiffany). I honestly though about just going to Tiffany and getting a ring and calling it a day. Note* I am not in a hurry to make this purchase; though I want to do it in the next few months. After reading online a bit, with Tiffany you are indeed paying a bit for the name. I am not in any way claiming they do not have stellar quality, but the name (and advertising behind that name) comes with a price.

Now that my slight OCD has kicked in, I have spent more than 60 hours reading this forum the last week. Not once have I read that the Tiffany engagement ring is sub-par. What I have come to the conclusion of is that Tiffany builds, markets, and sells some of the best settings in the world. In those settings happen to be well above average diamonds. However, those diamonds are not necessarily (and often not empirically) the best sparkling diamonds available.

With all of that said, I have decided I will end up with one of two options. First is to just get a classic Tiffany solitaire and call it a day, which I am leaning further away from. Second is to purchase the best diamond I can and have it set in a classic Tiffany "style" solitaire band in platinum. The more research I have done makes me want to do the latter. With that, though, is a lot of stress in ensuring I feel I have purchased at or above the quality of the Tiffany stone.

From everything I have read, I think my order of preference (of the 4 C's) is as follows. 1) Cut... as this is the major determining factor for sparkle and shine. I want it to sparkle and shine from across the room (looking for round brilliant). 2) Carat... I would like to purchase her at minimum a 1 ct. stone, this would be the first choice for upgrading. 3) Color... From what I have read I think I want a minimum of H in the color scale as on a quality cut in most, if not all, lighting conditions it is colorless. 4) Clarity... This is an engagement ring, not an investment for resale. All I am looking for is eye clean so VS2 or greater?

As a product manager myself, I understand the concept of diminishing returns. For example the difference in D -> G is slight at best, but the price difference is major. What I am not familiar with is is the diminishing returns on the cut itself. I have been looking at Whiteflash and DGD a lot. Are we into diminishing returns of ACA vs. ES or Signature vs. Advance? I want the best sparkle, but if there is no distinguishable difference to the naked eye, I would clearly move to the ES or Advance.

I just realized I did not post my budget. I am looking to be in around $15,000 total. The setting will run me about $1250 from WF in platinum if I buy through them. This leaves just under $14,000 for the diamond itself. The $15,000 limit is not absolute, but highly preferred unless there is a stellar deal that I just cannot walk away from. Also, is there a "good" time of the year to purchase a diamond?

Thanks in advance,

Ray

Almost all posters on this board would recommend that you purchase a well cut diamond from a PS vendor. Your situation is unique in that she LOVES Tiffany jewelry and even has Tiffany eye glasses. Being someone who owns both a Tiffany Fancy Yellow diamond ring, and a SuperIdeal, H&A, AGS0 diamond from a PS vendor (I have OCD too), I offer you a third alternative.

Unless the proposal has to be a surprise, I would take your FI shopping for a ring at Tiffany's. Study her reaction has she tries on the various styles. She may not even like the traditional Tiffany Solitaire ring. For a lady who loves Tiffany, there will be nothing better than a Tiffany Engagement ring. In addition to the famous blue box, one just has that special feeling when wearing one of their rings, I know I did. (Why do you think so many people try to copy them? There is a reason you know). Then in the future as an anniversary gift, you can buy her a RHR (right hand ring) from a PS vendor containing a diamond with all the angles, percentages, and cut precision to satisfy your OCD. I can attest that those are absolutely beautiful too.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Respectfully submitted,

Wink

I agree with this. you should get her a Tiffany ring.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock

Respectfully submitted,

Wink

FUnny First thought the VC set is awesome But after reading Wink's post I agree with him.

theque

Rough_Rock
Hmmm,

I did not think it would be such a big deal to not get a Tiffany. However, the more I think about it the more I realize that she indeed does love Tiffany's. I am not exactly sure why, and for that matter I probably never will fully understand it.

With that said, maybe it is best to just go to Tiffany's to get her a ring. I will not be taking her with me as I am not a fan of that. I know she likes the solitaire setting as she has mentioned it in the past on one of our many trips to Tiffany's (we have 3 of them in the Bay Area). She likes the idea of the stone being the full focus of the ring. That is why I though about getting an awesome stone in a Tiffany "style" setting. To us laymen, I am sure a Tiffany ring will be absolutely stunning and I probably would not be able to tell the two apart with my untrained eye. I think I just let my OCD get the better of me with this research.

I think I will go to one of their stores this weekend and see what they have. I will report back.

Thank you so much for all of your help. It has made this 1000% less stressful.

-Ray

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
theque|1419048160|3804581 said:
I did not think it would be such a big deal to not get a Tiffany. However, the more I think about it the more I realize that she indeed does love Tiffany's. I am not exactly sure why, and for that matter I probably never will fully understand it.

It's kind of like someone really wanting a Ferrari, even though they're impractical for daily use, and then buying them a $200k Hummer instead. Like, it's much more practical! You can drive it out on the farm! You can ferry the kids to school in it! You can take it to the store! You can park it in your driveway instead of your garage! It will do a better job of protecting you in the zombie apocalypse! You're getting more car and more use for your money! But it's not a Ferrari. You know what I mean? (This analogy a little bit fails because the diamond and setting would look identical, whereas a Ferrari and a Hummer definitely don't... but she'll know it in her mind, and if she's into the Tiffany brand, a non-brand ring might be the equivalent of getting a Hummer when she wanted a Ferrari.)

I think you don't need to understand the brand love to get that it's important to her. And I think since you did all this research, you'll be able to go into it knowing that you're getting a good option and - most importantly - the option that will make your fiancee-to-be the happiest.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, well I am going to go against the tide and say that is rubbish advice. I am going to generalise and put this really bluntly the type of women that mostly like Tiffany rings like bigger diamonds and basically you can buy more diamond with any of the trusted vendors here, and get a better centre stone than you can in Tiffany. I own two VC rings, I've taken both into Tiffany's with another P/S member and they are both much nicer better made rings. I've taken my rings into Canturi and the top of the line places in Australia and all of the staff have oooohed and aaaahed over them.

Sometimes there are options better than Tiffany, even if she loves Tiffany. Me I'd always put the money you save not buying a Tiffany ring towards a bigger centre diamond because on her hand that is all EVERYONE is going to notice first not the Tiffany stamp underneath. And don't get me wrong I like some Tiffany products, their one off pieces and some of their Antique pieces are stunning but for an ordinary stock standard Tiffany ring to me it's just that - ordinary. IMHO something hand forged is so much nicer....

Unless you know for 100% sure that is what she has her heart set on in which case I will respect your choice.

theque

Rough_Rock
I do not know if she has her heart set on a Tiffany ring or not. I have not specifically asked nor will I ask. When I propose to her it will be with the ring I picked out for her and it will be a complete surprise when it happens.

I do not have some grand or elaborate proposal idea planned. We have a very active life. We go to plays, symphony's, ballets, Disneyland, hike, camp, etc... Basically we really enjoy life. My "plan" is to wait until there is a good moment (happens quite often when we see new, beautiful, and exciting things), and while she is looking at whatever spectacle we are watching or looking at, I will hit my knee and when she turns back to me I will have the ring box open. That's it.

It may not be what many of the proposals are on this forum, but I am certain she will be in tears non the less.

Back to the point... She does indeed love Tiffany jewelry, but she is not as materialistic as that sounds. The first piece of jewelry I ever purchased for her was at Tiffany's, thus most of it comes from there as sort of a traditional gift / reward for achievements (Getting her Bachelors, Getting Her MBA, Birthday, etc...). So I know there is some sentimental weight to the brand.

To be clear, I am positive I could propose with any ring from any store and she would be extremely happy. The question is...

Would she be happier with the prettiest ring I can find at my price point or would she be happier with the sentimental value of a Tiffany ring given the tradition we have already formed. In my untrained laymen eye, I think all of Tiffany jewelry is beautiful. I have seen more than most people as we go there a lot. What I have never seen is one of these super ideal cut diamonds in a ~1.3 carat that supposedly knocks the socks off 99% of what is out there.

I know this would be soooooo much easier if I just ask her. But in my humble and honest opinion, that is just a cop out. I do not know if it is traditional or not, but I believe it is my job to find the engagement ring and it be a surprise. The wedding ring set we will shop for together.

I know this much though. At the end of the day... twenty years from now... I will look back and be glad I put myself through the stress of finding the perfect ring with all the nerves it brings with it. It will hopefully be a story I tell to my children. In a perfect world Tiffany's would just set a diamond you purchased elsewhere... We do not live in that perfect world...

theque

Rough_Rock
I would like to add that this has been the most helpful forum I have ever been to. As an engineer and product manager, I visit a lot of tech forums. Never have I come across a group of people who so selflessly assisted other people with finding a product.

I have witnessed on this forum on several occasions now where someone needed help and post after post of people assisting without anticipation of any return. I mean there is another thread on the main page where someone asked about a Costco ring, not only did that person get answers to his questions, but also suggested stones in his budget that fit the need potentially better.

I want to give a sincere thank you to the members of this forum.

-Ray

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
theque|1419061569|3804661 said:
I would like to add that this has been the most helpful forum I have ever been to. As an engineer and product manager, I visit a lot of tech forums. Never have I come across a group of people who so selflessly assisted other people with finding a product.

I have witnessed on this forum on several occasions now where someone needed help and post after post of people assisting without anticipation of any return. I mean there is another thread on the main page where someone asked about a Costco ring, not only did that person get answers to his questions, but also suggested stones in his budget that fit the need potentially better.

I want to give a sincere thank you to the members of this forum.

-Ray

Ray,

Thank you for taking the time to share your adventure with us. As a sentimental old man, it makes my heart happy to see where your feelings are taking you.

Please come back some day and tell us how the proposal went.

Wink

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
theque|1419060282|3804657 said:
I do not know if she has her heart set on a Tiffany ring or not. I have not specifically asked nor will I ask. When I propose to her it will be with the ring I picked out for her and it will be a complete surprise when it happens.

I do not have some grand or elaborate proposal idea planned. We have a very active life. We go to plays, symphony's, ballets, Disneyland, hike, camp, etc... Basically we really enjoy life. My "plan" is to wait until there is a good moment (happens quite often when we see new, beautiful, and exciting things), and while she is looking at whatever spectacle we are watching or looking at, I will hit my knee and when she turns back to me I will have the ring box open. That's it.

It may not be what many of the proposals are on this forum, but I am certain she will be in tears non the less.

Back to the point... She does indeed love Tiffany jewelry, but she is not as materialistic as that sounds. The first piece of jewelry I ever purchased for her was at Tiffany's, thus most of it comes from there as sort of a traditional gift / reward for achievements (Getting her Bachelors, Getting Her MBA, Birthday, etc...). So I know there is some sentimental weight to the brand.

To be clear, I am positive I could propose with any ring from any store and she would be extremely happy. The question is...

Would she be happier with the prettiest ring I can find at my price point or would she be happier with the sentimental value of a Tiffany ring given the tradition we have already formed. In my untrained laymen eye, I think all of Tiffany jewelry is beautiful. I have seen more than most people as we go there a lot. What I have never seen is one of these super ideal cut diamonds in a ~1.3 carat that supposedly knocks the socks off 99% of what is out there.

I know this would be soooooo much easier if I just ask her. But in my humble and honest opinion, that is just a cop out. I do not know if it is traditional or not, but I believe it is my job to find the engagement ring and it be a surprise. The wedding ring set we will shop for together.

I know this much though. At the end of the day... twenty years from now... I will look back and be glad I put myself through the stress of finding the perfect ring with all the nerves it brings with it. It will hopefully be a story I tell to my children. In a perfect world Tiffany's would just set a diamond you purchased elsewhere... We do not live in that perfect world...
Que,
It's an interesting dilemma. I love Distracts car analogy! But I think Arkie makes alot of sense.

It get's a little trickier now that you have shared more personal insight about the two of you. I do get a strong sense that everything will be wonderful whichever way you chose to go.

Knowing that she is an MBA, I am guessing she has a strong analytical component to her thinking to go along with her sentimentality. And she certainly knows your analytical nature and that you would do your due diligence. She would trust that the effort you put in would yield even better results than a regular guy going into a jewelry store and plucking a ring off the shelf- even if that store provides a familiar blue box. And she would appreciate that.

It does not sound to me like she is the kind that would be disappointed by your getting her a bigger and/or better rock, especially when she comes to know the process you went through.

Good luck and as Wink says, please do come back and let us know how everything went. One of the great things about being in the trade is getting to play a small part in something so special in peoples' lives. Thank you for sharing.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly?

I'd snoop.

Or rather, I'd have people snoop for you.

Have her mother/sister/cousin/best friend ask her a couple questions.

What questions:
1. Would you prefer a Tiffany ring, or a larger non-Tiffany but great quality ring.
2. Would you be okay with a vintage or pre-owned piece?

If you can get those questions answered, I'd say you're 90% there.

I personally think a pre-owned Tiffany is the way to go in this case. And we can DEFINITELY help you find a nice one.

Also does she have a pinterest page? If so... definitely poke around and see if she's pinned any rings, and if so, where are they from.

theque

Rough_Rock
Based on a previous posters (Gypsy) comment, about an estate Tiffany ring, I did a little research and may be pulling the trigger sooner than I had anticipated.

It is a platinum Tiffany solitaire with a 1.31 carat diamond. They have both a GIA certification as well as the original Tiffany certification. Specs are as follows according to the GIA cert.

Measurements: 6.99 – 7.04 x 4.33mm
Weight: 1.31 carat
Color: I
Clarity: VS1
Cut Grade: Excellent

Depth: 61.7%
Table: 58%
Crown Angle: 35.0*
Pavilion Angle: 40.8*
Cutlet: None

Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent

The ring and diamond are in excellent condition for $9900. I have been talking to Johnathan and may b e able to knock off a few hundred.

He is going to email me the GIA and Tiffany Certs on Monday.

At sub $10k I will not have to wait to purchase as I can come up with the money right now. I know she loves Tiffany's... Check. I know she would love to have 1 carat or larger... Check. I know for fact she could care less about pre-owned jewelry, in her words "I'ts not underwear..."

Unless there is just something glaringly wrong with this or there is something drastically better, I do not see how I can pass on this ring.

-Ray

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
NICE JOB!

I think that's a great way to go and the numbers pass the HCA.

And I would DEFINITELY encourage you to negotiate as much as they'll let you! =) On pre-owned items, haggling is a requirement.

If you need it sized have it sized ONLY by Tiffany, after you buy it. Okay?

And even if it costs you more, if it doesn't come with a blue box, make sure you get one.

theque

Rough_Rock
I plan on having it sized, buffed and cleaned through Tiffany. From what I read it will take a couple weeks, but that is not a big deal as I did not think I would buy something so soon. Though after receiving it, I know I will have to contain myself and wait for that special moment.

-Ray

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's the thing about that special moment.

The moment you propose? That MAKES that moment special. Not that a little extra effort isn't appreciated. ;))

But honestly, some of the most romantic proposals have taken place just when a couple is kicking back and doing whatever it is they like to do together. During a hike, if you hike, during a bike ride if you ride, if you are movie buffs, while you are watching a movie.

It doesn't have to be expensive, it doesn't have to be public, it doesn't have to be anything that anyone else would want as long as it fits the both of you and your relationship.

Okay? So don't stress too much about finding a special moment. The proposal itself is once in a lifetime. So that makes even an ordinary moment special.

theque

Rough_Rock
Gypsy,

You give a lot of great advice. I am so very glad I posted on this forum. I am pretty sure I am going with this ring. Last week I thought I would be purchasing in February or March. Tonight, I am disappointed the shop is closed at the moment. I am a firm believer that life presents you with what you need. It is up to you to take hold of that opportunity. I do not intend to miss this one.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
theque. Thank you. I am happy to have helped you.

And I understand what you mean. Once I make up my mind about something... no sense in waiting!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1419144217|3805152 said:
The moment you propose? That MAKES that moment special. Not that a little extra effort isn't appreciated. ;))

So true. Any time you do it will be special, because it will be you proposing.

So glad you've found a ring that suits you. Good luck and congratulations in advance! Please come back and post pictures and how you ended up proposing - we love to hear the stories!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
In the vein of Gypsys post: I am someone who DOES NOT like surprises. At all. In any form. A ring being something I was not involved in would be a huge issue for me and our relationship bec if my intended husband didn't know me enough to know that I wanted to be involved in that big of a purchase, we would not last long as a married couple! Good thing my husband didn't try to surprise me in the ring department! Please be sure you know her well enough to know her take on her involvement on the selection of the ring. You don't want to have her secretly wishing she had larger or somehow different, some women do.

And if you go with the brand--get the box!

theque

Rough_Rock
Ame,

If what I get for her is not good enough... I wouldn't want her.

It's ok for me to stress over this decision, but if she were so superficial that she wouldn't like what I picked out and purchased then you are correct; we do not belong together.

Just how I see it. Luckily for me, as I said in a previous post, she would love a cracker jack ring and wear it proudly.

-Ray

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Things like this should be equal, joint decisions. Shared income, shared purchases. You're joining lives, incomes, families. She's wearing it forever, she should love it, not just because you picked it out, but because it is what she would've chosen on her own for herself. That is why I am so anti-surprise on the ring. Propose as a surprise, with a ring pop. Select the ring itself together. You are supposed to be partners, and if you choose to surprise with a ring anyway, and she can't safely say, yknow, this doesn't meet my tastes, I don't love the ring but I love you, can we swap it for something more my tastes and you are gonna freak out and dump her for that? That's ...terrifying. If you're going into this with the mentality where what you say goes because you are man and she is to cater to that, and if she doesn't like it, then she isn't good enough for you, that's a BIG SCARY RED FLAG.

Best of luck to you on this endeavor and your marriage.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results