shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with choosing an oval for my ring

trex1126

Rough_Rock
I was just wondering if anyone could give me an opinion on which diamond they would choose between these 2. They are both from James Allen. I put the1.51 ct SI2 on hold and asked them for some other suggestions so they sent me the info on the 1.2 ct stone. I was told that the SI2 is eye clean and has a minimal bow tie and she said it is a beautiful diamond. I would appreciate any advice anyone could give me. It is for an engagement ring and my fiance will be making the final decision. Thanks!!!

http://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.51-carat-f-color-si2-clarity-sku-247350

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.20-carat-d-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-234556

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Neither.
Do you want me to pick some nicer stones for you? Those really aren't great ones.

What is your budget?

trex1126

Rough_Rock
Yes that would be great. My budget is about $10,000.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I see the issue. They just do not have much stock in the 10k and 1.2 or larger range.
So she did pick the best of the bunch. But since the rest of the stones are pretty terrible, that's not saying much.

Do you have to buy now?

I'm not liking anything they have in stock. They are pretty picked through right now with the holidays.

trex1126

Rough_Rock
No, it does not have to be right now. You're right, they don't have a lot right now and every stone I liked a couple weeks ago is now gone.

trex1126

Rough_Rock
Do you think that there will be more available in a couple of weeks?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't know about couple weeks. But before February, I definitely think so. They'll get more stock back in before Valentine's Day.

Why don't you call them and ask them about it?

mapz

Rough_Rock
Gypsy,
Could you explain why you think these two aren't great? Is it due to Bow-tie or something else you can spot? Judging by the numbers they both look pretty good to me (DISCLOSURE: I know almost nothing about diamonds, I have been reading PS for the past couple weeks and am looking for an oval myself)

trex1126

Rough_Rock
I'm also wondering why they aren't "good" stones. I don't know much about diamond buying but would like to learn. Thank you for your input and for replying Gypsy.

trex1126

Rough_Rock
I'm also wondering why they aren't "good" stones. I don't know much about diamond buying but would like to learn. Thank you for your input and for replying Gypsy.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I will find time to explain. But probably not today/tonight. I'm beat and it's beyond me. And maybe Neil will have more time than I do and will explain.

Okay? :wavey:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do have a bit of time, so we shall see if I can help explain what, at least I look for when im looking for an oval :wavey:

I picked the D, though this can be seen in the F you picked as well.

I designated 2 zones. zone 1, you can see east and west of center, and zone 2, the center

Lets talk zone 2 first. Zone two is where you see typically the most flashes and brilliance. This is also typically a place where you see two issues as well. You will notice the facets or sometimes broader, which lead to the second issue, of sometimes there being a large black obstruction band though the middle of the stone...this is known as a bowtie. A little obstruction is typical, and kind of the nature of the beast, but a big bow tie you want to avoid. the other thing you want to avoid is the broad facets looking a whole lot different than the facets in zone 1. The stones you picked didn't seem to have these issues in this second zone. So that's good.

Zone 1. The issue you see in zone 1 is whats known as mushiness. when compare do zone 2, im sure you will notice that it doesn't have a crispness to it. Its gets gray, kind of muddled. You will also notice, in these mushy, greyer areas, there are not as many flashes, not as much brilliance. These issue get exaggerated when its juxtaposed next to zone 2 where the facets are crisp and shooting a lot more brilliance and fire. These issues are very evident in the stones you posted. To help with seeing this, try covering up with your hand the middle of the stone, and watch the fire and brilliance you see In JUST zone 1...not a lot.

ideally you want one to find an oval that will avoid the specified issues for each zone. In zone one, you want to find crisp facets that blend well into zone 2, with a minimal bowtie in that area...and of course, you want to have an overall brightness.

this is a good example of an oval, though it doesn't work for you, compare this video with your stones. The color is a k, and even then, it doesn't look near as gray or lifeless

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.36-carat-k-color-vs1-clarity-sku-41446

_533.png

_534.png

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much Neil. I was feeling guilty for not explaining but my head feels like it's about to explode. :wavey:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Please read this thread: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-need-opinions-about-this-cushion-cut-diamond-pics.206771/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-need-opinions-about-this-cushion-cut-diamond-pics.206771/[/URL] It's about cushions. But I explain what "mush" is and why it is not desireable. And explain ASET scopes. Keep in mind that cushions will have much stronger performance generally than ovals. So you won't get bright red ASETs in ovals like you would with cushions. I'll post more on that later.

So read it through, and then apply what you learn to what Neil posted.

trex1126

Rough_Rock
Thank you Niel! That stone is very pretty, but do you think the I color will be noticeable? I am going to have it set in rose gold.

trex1126

Rough_Rock
Your post really helped me understand what to look for in an oval.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
trex1126|1419042397|3804537 said:
Thank you Niel! That stone is very pretty, but do you think the I color will be noticeable? I am going to have it set in rose gold.
Id have to ask JA to evaluate the color if I were you. Usually I wouldnt pick an I oval for others.... Its graded igi which makes me question the color grading. BUT the undertone is more brown than yellow, which goes well with rose gold. Plus rose gold has a tendancy to allow for lower colors.

Have you gone and looked at any diamonds in person?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

trex1126

Rough_Rock
Thank you Gypsy! That is still within budget. I just emailed them to hold that one for me. I really like that one. I was hoping for a D-F but the color doesn't look bad on that one.

trex1126

Rough_Rock
That one is nice as well. Definitely see the difference now between the stones I chose and these. I wasn't searching in that color range before.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, always asked for a "preffered members discount" from JA. It might make those stones cheaper.

trex1126

Rough_Rock
Ok Niel, I will. How much is the discount? I'm very confused now because I want to request ASET photos from JA but they said it's better to do 3 stones at a time. The only stone I'm interested in is the H one that Gyspsy pointed out. I'm wondering if I should just let them all fall off hold and and wait until there is more of a selection. I'm not really sure what to do.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
trex1126|1419095487|3804811 said:
Ok Niel, I will. How much is the discount? I'm very confused now because I want to request ASET photos from JA but they said it's better to do 3 stones at a time. The only stone I'm interested in is the H one that Gyspsy pointed out. I'm wondering if I should just let them all fall off hold and and wait until there is more of a selection. I'm not really sure what to do.

I would get the g, the h and the (possibly too tinted) I.

They do it for free, so why not get as much information as you can? Sure the I very well might not work, but I'd want to ask someone who can actually look at it their opinion on the color. And then when you get three they compare saying here's the best, here's my opinion compared to the other stones. If you just get one really all they can do is say yes its good no its bad.

As for the discount? It varies by stone, so best to ask them how much would apply. They won't give you 15% off your setting though, so see which provides the better discount, unless of course you aren't buying a setting.

trex1126

Rough_Rock
Ok. So you don't think I should wait to see if their stock increases in a couple weeks? I don't want to waste getting those reports on stones that I won't end up liking or purchasing. I can only request 3 reports ever? Is that correct?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
trex1126|1419097609|3804816 said:
Ok. So you don't think I should wait to see if their stock increases in a couple weeks? I don't want to waste getting those reports on stones that I won't end up liking or purchasing. I can only request 3 reports ever? Is that correct?
Not ever,no. Per go'round, yes.

If you don't like any, which could occur I'd you request 3 or 1, then tell them none will work for you. In 3 months from now, from personal experience at least, they shouldn't give you much push back.

Worse case scenario, use your fiancé's email and name to request them if they actually refused to get the asets under your name (which I don't think would happen)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ill take one more look around, ill see if they have anything else

mapz

Rough_Rock
Niel, I just wanted to say thanks for the diagrams and discussion about mushiness. Makes a lot of sense and now I am looking at ovals with a new appreciation for them that I did not have before!

trex1126

Rough_Rock
I was thinking we could use his email. Thanks so much Niel. I really appreciate all of your input.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results