shape
carat
color
clarity

Q about OECs. Why do most PSers prefer...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1418953018|3803933 said:
Dancing Fire|1418952689|3803930 said:
My Mama didn't raise a fool I'll take the 5ct D VVS! .. :praise:

YO Homie! Joe Mama did raise a fool.
I'd take a 5 ct D FL. :lol:
Cf
Didn't offer me a FL stone... :tongue:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Think I can handle a D FL 5ct Octavia... :praise:

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1418954475|3803965 said:

How boring, how about a 5 ct. N - VS2 Octavia, it would have a glowing warmth and
could be mounting in 18K yellow or rose gold, with a halo. Would that be a first?
An Octavia with a halo?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even without a budget, for an old cut, I want some warmth.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cflutist|1418956690|3803977 said:
Dancing Fire|1418954475|3803965 said:

How boring, how about a 5 ct. N - VS2 Octavia, it would have a glowing warmth and
could be mounting in 18K yellow or rose gold, with a halo. Would that be a first?
An Octavia with a halo?
Ok, then i'll take a 5ct F VS1 Octavia on a PT tension setting. Strange, I love RG watches but I'd prefer white metal rings... :wacko:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well said all around - put me in the co-sign column for EricaD, SB, Gypsy, Arkie, and BlingObsession!

Color preference is such an interesting thing to quantify: in no other arena would we ask this sort of question. Why do you like wine red more than blood red? Give an objective response! A lot of it will come down to pure personal preference. If I'm always going for antique lace over crisp white cotton, if my default preference is for the firelight rather than fluorescent, if I automatically find more pleasure in the yellowing old book than the iPad ... it may just be an abstract aesthetic preference as opposed to a financial decision. For the same budget, if it's 5k or 50k, the fact that my preference for lower colors will get me a bigger rock is just kind of a bonus, given my poor eye-sight!

That said, there's nothing wrong in acknowledging that budget is a factor. Everything in life is a compromise, unless one is fortunate enough to be born into tremendous wealth. I will take my plethora of antique opera coats over a single perfect Chanel suit, I will rock my fancy granny boots on multiple occasions instead of reserving a different kind of Louboutin for every engagement in my social calendar, I will find a leisurely pleasure in restoring my scratched-up Victorian cherry-wood desk instead of enjoying a straight-from-the-crate pristine Chippendale piece direct from Sotheby's. Since I like to hunt down vintage pieces in their entirety when I can, there will always be trade-offs ... and I will take a lower (or higher!) color stone if it gives me the antique craftsmanship that's my true love. Flexibility, that's the ticket .... :cheeky:

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Interesting conversation to read.

I loved Ericad's comments and must say that even in the modern cuts there are those who love the rich buttery warmth of an L-M-N-O-P or even lower.

If the color is a dirty brownish yellowish mess, it might not work, no matter the cut, old or new, but with a soft warmish yellow that enhances the flashes of both white (yellowish white to be sure) and especially the colored light, you can have an amazingly interesting diamond for a fraction of what you would pay for a colorless diamond.

Imagine, seeing strong flashes of brilliant yellow, offset with glorious flashes of reds and blues coming from a rich buttery yellow diamond. Hard to imagine that not appealing to many, once they get to actually see it rather than dismissing it because of the paper.

Now imagine it with the larger flashes of white and color that you get from the older cuts with their larger pavilion facets. It is not hard to imagine why so many people love them.

Yum! Delicious!

Wink

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do love old-cuts and antique-style cuts - and aesthetically I do appreciate the beauty of a well-cut warmer OEC - but through a lot of trial-and-error ending just this year I have finally come to realize that, on my own hand, my preference is colorless diamonds regardless of cut. (There's a couple of high-color AVRs on GOG's site I've been stalking for a while - we'll see what happens in 2015.)

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
To my eyes, high color OECs look blah and sterile. IMO, there's none of the softness or grace that lower colored OECs exhibit, and the higher colors just don't have the same light play as the lower colors. My sweet spot for OECs in in the K-M range; if a multi-billionaire were to offer to buy me a diamond, I'd take a 5ct K/L/M OEC over a 5ct D MRB every single day of the week.

In MRBs, I do prefer higher colors. I used to have a G ACA from WF and I thought the color was lovely.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's interesting. For me, I think it might be stone specific. Coati's (Erika Winters) OEC is my favorite stone EVER. It's an M. But when I was looking to purchase a while back, I was sent an M/N and it was too tinted for me.

I think different stones, when it comes to old cuts, handle color differently.

If a billionaire asked me what 5 carat stone I wanted... I'd probably ask for a 3 carat and a 2 carat plus settings. LOL! :lol: I'd ask for a 3 carat OEC GIA J or better. And a 2 carat colorless oval. Or maybe a a 5 carat total weight three stone with a 3 carat cushion center and 1 carat sides?

5 carat for the center stone is too big IMO. I don't think I would ever own a stone that large.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If a billionaire was giving away free 5ct diamonds, we'd all choose the one with the highest resale value, lol. I'd pick a D, IF and resell it in exchange for a bunch of vintage pieces!

A more telling question would be: "If tomorrow all diamonds became free, what size and color range would you choose based solely on aesthetics?"

In that case, my personal pick would be a GIA J/K/L OEC (my favorite color range) with the faceting of a specific stone I already own, but ~ 10mm in size! :lol:

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
ericad|1419017021|3804316 said:
If a billionaire was giving away free 5ct diamonds, we'd all choose the one with the highest resale value, lol. I'd pick a D, IF and resell it in exchange for a bunch of vintage pieces!

A more telling question would be: "If tomorrow all diamonds became free, what size and color range would you choose based solely on aesthetics?"

In that case, my personal pick would be a GIA J/K/L OEC (my favorite color range) with the faceting of a specific stone I already own, but ~ 10mm in size! :lol:

I'd take that D IF, sell it and snatch up the vivid green yellow diamond on DBL's first page of loose diamonds. That's the kind of diamond that speaks to me. ;-)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

So you can only pick one, right?

In that case, I'd pick a D with strong fluorescence in a nice 3-4 carat emerald cut.
Alternately an H-I range OEC with Coati's faceting.
Or a colorless cushion three stone.
Or a colorless oval.

Yeah, that's what I'd get, all of these with strong fluorescence. .
D EC in a yellow gold brushed finish setting.
Colorless Modern Cushion three stone Vine setting by VC.
H-I range OEC in a Singlestone OR EW setting.
Colorless oval in a split shank, by SK.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

The Hope Diamond would be about 40 carats over my limit, but somewhere out there I'm sure there's a nice fancy blue OEC calling my name. Or green ... after that, assuming I wasn't allowed to do anything with it other than wear it, I'd be looking for a nice J-K-L-M overblue. We all have our quirks! And believe me, the overblue thing isn't because they're cheaper (they might be, but I've yet to find one) ... it's pure freakish love of rarity!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm the same if someone came up to me offering a D IF 5 carat stone I'd take it, sell it and buy a vast array of other things with it. Believe it or not, not everyone wants an ice white diamond. I also believe it depends on the type of cut your eye favours - I like some cuts in white and others like old cuts in a wide range of colours.....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results