shape
carat
color
clarity

Emily C Ring Holding Necklaces... overpriced?

alpackie

Shiny_Rock
Hi PS!

I'm in the market for a ring-holding necklace. I do not prefer the clasp necklaces, but I do like the designs where you can look the ring directly on the pendant without taking off the necklaces (think "wishbone" necklaces).

I don't want to have to worry about polishing sterling silver, so I'd like to stay with rose gold.

Emily C sells their 14k rose gold necklaces for $985. They are solid gold, not plated.
drop_rose_gold_with_ring.jpg

What do you think of the price? Fair/overpriced?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty but overpriced IMO. :(

Edit - If you like the look but not the designer price, I had this lady make me a ring that turned out really nice. I'm pretty
sure she could make that necklace. She does work in gold and white gold but not sure if she works in rose gold.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/DenimAndDiaJewelry?section_id=7786515

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
Overpriced? In my opinion, yes.

BUT, they are her designs, a lot of sweat, hard work, try-try-try again, possibly years worth, went in to creating those, and putting a price on that must be hard I imagine.

Personally, I'd opt to do an "inspired by" design if I could find a bench willing to make one in the price range I'd be willing to pay.

alpackie

Shiny_Rock
Thank you tyty and vintageinjune for your input! I did look into commissioning an "inspired" piece, but unfortunately the jewelry designer I found was not comfortable committing to it. Emily C apparently has a patent on her designs :silenced:

I did find Shapeways, a 3D printing website, and am having a similar pendant made in 14k rose gold. It'll arrive next week--pics to follow! Not sure about the durability of 3D printed metals though

iammariaberg

Rough_Rock
The necklace is just wow!! But its overpriced.

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
I really like the design too, but I don't know about $985.

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
I think they're a bit overpriced, but I haven't found anything cheaper that's remotely as pretty and well made, so I ended up buying one for my sister who wants a ring holder necklace. I got the sterling silver, which is hand polished and double rhodium plated, so it shouldn't tarnish for a good long while.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
alpackie|1416028643|3783943 said:
Thank you tyty and vintageinjune for your input! I did look into commissioning an "inspired" piece, but unfortunately the jewelry designer I found was not comfortable committing to it. Emily C apparently has a patent on her designs :silenced:

I did find Shapeways, a 3D printing website, and am having a similar pendant made in 14k rose gold. It'll arrive next week--pics to follow! Not sure about the durability of 3D printed metals though

alpackie - please let us know how it turns out! Checked out their website, I could spend hours looking at stuff.

CoreyMax

Rough_Rock
Idea of design is brilliant... and the price is price I think... fair price

alpackie

Shiny_Rock
I'm so sorry for the delay!! I ended up ordering:
1) 20" 14k solid rose gold .7mm Diamond-Cut Wheat Chain Necklace from Amazon ($135.55, though the price fluctuates; it's available now for $131.04)
2)3D printed 14k solid rose gold pendant from Shapeways ($354.99). Shapeways does not have a warranty on their printed objects, so it's important to check the quality upon arrival. Mine came super polished--it seems durable, but time will have to tell on that one.

EmilyC offers their 14k solid rose gold necklaces for $985, so I saved approximately $500. Granted, my way doesn't come with a warranty, but with the money I saved I could essentially buy my combination all over again. My ring is also insured.

The necklace is super easy to use. It's placed on the pendant in the exact same way as the EmilyC necklace. My ring (pictured below on the necklace) is size 6.5 and it's super secure, but the Shapeways vendor also has a large size (for a higher price) available.

dsc05327.jpg

LMK if you have any questions!

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the update! That a huge savings!

I looked at the shape ways site but couldn't find that item -did you custom design it or did they have a model already? There's so much to look at one that site.

alpackie

Shiny_Rock
maccers|1418359453|3799893 said:
Thanks for the update! That a huge savings!

I looked at the shape ways site but couldn't find that item -did you custom design it or did they have a model already? There's so much to look at one that site.

This is the one I ordered from Shapeways. 14k solid rose gold was not available at the time I looked, but it was a new material added to the site. James was super responsive and had it up as an option within a couple of days. Couldn't recommend him more!

(Also you can scroll the images to the left, to see their sterling silver pre-made sample.)

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Glad you found an option that worked for you! I found a sterling silver wishbone version on etsy that wasn't intended to be used as a ring holder but was large enough to do so. Only about $20 and I love that it looks like a regular necklace when my ring isn't on it.

kefira

Shiny_Rock
pandabee, could you link the wishbone necklace you ordered? Also, what is your ring size? Like you, I like the idea of the wishbone design while not keeping my ring there. Thanks in advance. :)

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Did anyone ever post the links for these?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
alpackie-

I am glad you started this thread. Not only had I never heard of these necklaces, but I didn't understand that they were made to hold rings, despite the picture in the first frame of the thread, until I was halfway through reading the thread! I just thought that someone had enhanced the red gold necklace by putting her diamond ring onto the chain with it!

I think they are really amazing. Thank you so much for bringing them to my attention!

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results