shape
carat
color
clarity

Unsure about my new WF huggies

TechieTechie

Shiny_Rock
Hi all...

I just received my 1.0 ct WF huggies and I'm on the fence about them. Not sure if it's because I'm new to diamond buying, or if my expectations are too high, or if something is off. I like the size, but....

1. First off, from a front view, all I see is the setting, not the actual diamonds. I guess I was assuming I would see more sparkle from head on. I think a lot of pictures here are taken from a 45 degree angle from the face, not head on. Thoughts? (please ignore the non-styled, air dried hair!)

2. Secondly, it looks like a couple of the diamonds are dark at a particular angle. The top diamond (closest to my ear) is 100% white at all angles, but particularly as they go down the 'chain', the centers on the bottom 2 diamonds are dark...particularly if I am looking slightly 'down' at them. Look at the 2nd diamond in the first pic. This is what I mean. Thoughts? (these pics are from the same earring, at different angles).

Plus, you can see a bit of WG at the bottom of the huggies, which is a bummer. From a previous thread, I thought that would not be an issue if I bought the 1.0 instead of the .65.

Any feedback you can give is appreciated. I know WF is a favorite on here (and their customer service has been great) but I'm not sure the earrings look right on me.

wf_frontview.jpg

wf_frontview1.jpg

wf_upclose_1.jpg

wf_upclose_2.jpg

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It seems that your earlobe faces outward rather than front so the hoops tilt sideways and you don't get to see the front view. Not sure if the huggie design is the right one for you. Do you have other hoops that fit better?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Techietechie: I'm so sorry you're not in love with your huggies!

I'm not particularly well versed in diamonds, so I'll let someone else address question 2. How you see the earrings face-on could have a lot to do with your ears and how they're pierced. I know that one of my ears lays closer to my head, and the other sticks out from my head a bit more, so if I had those huggies one would face forward fairly well but with the other I'd get more of a side view, similar to the picture you posted. The actual piercing might also influence your third concern - or not. Can you post a side view of just the huggies?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yea I think maybe you need a different design, perhaps. Maybe a micropave or even a pave style...?

TechieTechie

Shiny_Rock
First off...THANK you everyone. I thought maybe it was me, well, rather, my perfectionist tendencies. Instead, it's my ears! Yes, my ears sit pretty close to my head (or it's wearing a swim cap for 20 years that has pinned my ears to my head :twirl: ) And now that I think about it, all of my hoops sit this way on my ears. So I guess hoops with big diamonds are not my thing. Big bummer. Not sure I like pave, but I may have to look into these.

*Sigh*. Interesting, there was a smaller set of huggies at the Gemshow last weekend that I liked better. They were more expensive with fewer carats...but you could see the bling from the front. But of course, I have no idea which vendor they were from.

Guess I'm back to square one...maybe look into smaller huggies, pave, or studs/jackets. For $2k, I wanna see bling from the front :love:

Any recommendations given my ear shape would be appreciated.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have same problem. I know with me, my ears aren't pierced right so when I wear hoops like that I get the perpendicular thing too.

Personally, I'd either get my ears re-pierced or just return them.

It's too bad, they are lovely, when they face the right way.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. That has to do with your ear piercings. If the holes are perpendicular to your head rather than parallel, that's going to happen.

2. All stones look weird when viewed at an angle. That's just how faceting and light reflection works - ideal cut diamonds are cut to maximize light entering from the face of the diamond. If you wanted the diamonds to be equally bright while going away from you in a semicircle, each diamond would have to be cut differently, to maximize light return from whatever particular viewing angle. So that's also totally normal.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Do the stud thing and WR has great upgrade policy you can get some bling for $2000.00 I have never regreted my sstuds I started with .80 pointers and now have 2.40 ....I loved them no matter the size...

I never take them off. and about to add jackets for dress up night

Coralfish

Shiny_Rock
I have ears like this too. Others will be able to appreciate the look of your diamonds from the side, but obviously that is scant consolation to not being able to see them in the mirror.

One idea to try is have a plain hoop with a diamond dangle.

I could only find pictures of pearl examples on the net, but here they are anyway. When the dangle rotates and moves it should be nicely visible from the front.

_25352.jpg

screen_shot_2014-12-19_at_21.png

screen_shot_2014-12-19_at_0.png

mdmc

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I agree. I think it is the way your ears are pierced . I would return them if you are. It happy and try studs. I love mine and wear them much more than I would huggies

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cannot wear huggies larger than about 12mm for the same reason as the OP - they do not sit nicely on my earlobes and make my wide face even wider!

DK :rolleyes:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jen, I'm sorry they didn't turn out to look the way you hoped they would. I agree these don't look amazing on your ears and I would return them. I wonder if a closer huggie or a different size altogether might be better?

Could you visit some local jewelry stores and try on different styles to see if there are huggies that would lay better on your ears? My piercings are not equal to with most dangles I need to bend the post a bit on one ear so they look right. So it could just be a matter of finding the right style hoops/huggies that will lay right on your ears. Trying on in person would be helpful.

I wonder if this style hoop (smaller diamonds larger diameter) would lay better on you? I really think trying on different hoops before you give up on them is the way to go.

_305.jpeg

TechieTechie

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the continuing conversation everyone.

@Gypsy. I don't think I want to get my ears re-pierced. I already had to do that on one lobe due to tearing when I was a wee laddie. The huggies are lovely, and I was so excited for their arrival (because they look fabulous on lots of people here)..but they just don't work on me. *sigh*

@Distracts....thank you for the confirmation about the stones and brightness. I assumed it was okay, given that from some angle, each stone was 100% white. But it just seemed odd that the top one was super white, and the rest, not so much. It's interesting too, since we see so many solitaires (or single large stone rings) that you sorta forget that stones have variations :wall:

@Heidi and MDMC...I thought huggies would be a nice combination of playful bling, dress up and down. And I think to get the size bling I want on studs, I'm going to have to dig deeper into my wallet than the huggies. I think I'm going to have to head to the jewelers to see what size looks good on me instead of the shipping back and forth. A bit frustrating that if you return to WF and you've paid by wire, they issue you a check....and they deduct their shipping costs. Again, another advantage to them as they hold onto their money longer (a good 7-14 days) and they don't incur a wire fee. They may have nice diamonds, but their finance policies certainly favor them (I have to admit a grudging respect for their Controller...they know how to manage their cash flow)...but I digress.

@Coralfish...thank you for the dangily suggestion...I'll have to look at those as an option.

@DK..thanks for the commiseration. What kind of diamond huggies do you wear, if you don't mind me asking.

:wavey: Missy. Yep, I will have to head out to the Mall (yukkers) when I am home. It might be a nice Mother/daughter activity. I just hate to go to my Mom's jeweler (a local independent) since I know I likely wouldn't buy from them. But I have no problems going to a chain jeweler (hah hah). Too bad my niece can't go with us, it might be a fun bonding experience...but the lights and noise are too much for her :( Thank you for the suggestion, but I've never been a big hoop person...anything larger than a dime (even quarter size) just seems too girly on me (I know, it's my inner tomboy speaking). But yours look lovely (and your hair, what I wouldn't give for thick wavy hair :errrr: ).

Thank you everyone for your help...just goes to show that jewelry, regardless of type is really a personal thing. Just like clothes, I guess! Thanks again.....

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are the only diamond huggies I have currently. I seldom wear them as they are too big and blingy for day to day wear, and they make my face look wider as already mentioned.

huggieearrings.jpg

I don't have the heart to sell them as I quite like the look of them, and they were one of my great eBay finds (via an online auction over 10 years ago).

For day to day, I have a pair of small plain, low D profile huggies (rhodium plated costume jewellery), no more than 14mm diameter (about 12mm internal diameter) x 5mm wide, and the earrings clear the bottom of my earlobes with about 2mm clearance. They do not touch my face, just hug the earlobes nicely.

If I were to buy a pair of diamond huggies, these are the ones I have in mind:

http://www.itshot.com/diamond-hoop-earrings-14k-diamond-huggie-earrings-94ct-p-6266.aspx
http://www.itshot.com/14k-gold-round-diamond-huggie-earrings-hoops-062ct-p-6034.aspx

I wear studs that do not sit too high normally, so large pearls are out! :((

Here is a pic of my near 1cttw studs in their near 1cttw jackets, the jackets are about 12mm in diameter, to illustrate the size of my earlobes and how my ears were pierced (right in the middle of the lobes):

studwithjacket.jpg

DK :))

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Huggies dont work on my ears, either low profile studs work better for my piercings

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
dk168|1419110494|3804911 said:
These are the only diamond huggies I have currently. I seldom wear them as they are too big and blingy for day to day wear, and they make my face look wider as already mentioned.

huggieearrings.jpg

I don't have the heart to sell them as I quite like the look of them, and they were one of my great eBay finds (via an online auction over 10 years ago).

For day to day, I have a pair of small plain, low D profile huggies (rhodium plated costume jewellery), no more than 14mm diameter (about 12mm internal diameter) x 5mm wide, and the earrings clear the bottom of my earlobes with about 2mm clearance. They do not touch my face, just hug the earlobes nicely.

If I were to buy a pair of diamond huggies, these are the ones I have in mind:

http://www.itshot.com/diamond-hoop-earrings-14k-diamond-huggie-earrings-94ct-p-6266.aspx
http://www.itshot.com/14k-gold-round-diamond-huggie-earrings-hoops-062ct-p-6034.aspx

I wear studs that do not sit too high normally, so large pearls are out! :((

Here is a pic of my near 1cttw studs in their near 1cttw jackets, the jackets are about 12mm in diameter, to illustrate the size of my earlobes and how my ears were pierced (right in the middle of the lobes):

studwithjacket.jpg

DK :))

Your earrings look great with jackets!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results