shape
carat
color
clarity

Help in finding purple sapphire stone and setting

Jrmag

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I am a new subscriber to PriceScope, but I have been a fan of all the great advice and support that this forum has provided to its members.

I love purple, especially the bluish violet color of tanzanites. However, I am aware that tanzanites are a relatively soft stone, so I have been waiting for almost 15 years to find/afford a 2-4 ct purple sapphire that has the same bluish violet color of tanzanites. I have been tempted by many of the ones that I've seen online, but I have learned that the best way to know if it's right for me is to see it in person. As luck would have it, I am thrilled that I will be able to attend the International Gem & Jewelry show in Chantilly, VA this weekend.

Ideally, I am looking for an oval 2-4 ct bluish violet or color change sapphire, unheated, brilliant cut, and flawless clarity in the price range of $3000 or below. I am also looking to find a diamond halo setting similar to Princess Diana's in 18K white gold, around .7-1.0 tcw and perhaps flanked by baguettes on the side. I am open to any ideas re: the halo setting design.

Given my limited time and knowledge of the volume of vendors, could you all suggest some reputable vendors and any helpful advice that you could share as I navigate the gem show?

Many thanks in advance,

Jrmag

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Two points that need to be made:
1) If we are talking about a saturated bluish violet colour with medium tone, I think your budget is unrealistic for a 4 carat sapphire. 2 carats is more reasonable if the whole 3000 is for the stone (rather than for the stone and setting together) but I can't say for sure.
2)Give up on the 'flawless clarity' limitation, it just ain't gonna happen in sapphire like it does with diamonds. But you can get something with inclusions invisible to the eye or very hard to spot (eye-clean). This is the standard with almost all coloured stones.
3) If you find something you like at the gem show, only buy with a lab report from a reputable lab, preferably AGL.

I have a question to others on this board. Are gem shows generally quite expensive or does it really depend where you look?

Looking forward to your reply. I love violet stones so this is exciting for me. :devil:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've looked up the exhibitor list - Prima Gems is an excellent vendor for loose stones. You should contact them today with what you're looking for and your budget so they can be sure to have the appropriate stuff on hand. I know they've had purple sapphires lately. https://www.primagemsusa.com/

Vance Gems is another really awesome vendor for loose stones, and same deal, you should contact them with what you're looking for. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vance-Gems/164274600277910?sk=info&tab=page_info

Those are going to be your best bets, and are vendors many here have bought from (some of us multiple times, lolllll).

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoversKites|1418834391|3802979 said:
I have a question to others on this board. Are gem shows generally quite expensive or does it really depend where you look?

Depends on the exact vendor at the gem show. Though in my experience most vendors who have things that attract my attention are reasonably priced (like, I started collecting with a college-student budget and I could still find nice stuff to buy). And then there's Andrew Sarosi's jewelry. It is STILL outside of my budget, but I'm not going to say it's unreasonably priced because it's top of the line gems and craftsmanship. But I cry inside when I ask the prices, haha. (OP, go by the Sarosi booth to check it out. It'll make your eyes pop out of your head.)

Jrmag

Rough_Rock
Loverskite,

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. Yes, the $3,000 is for the purple stone only. I'm hoping to find an oval sapphire that is approx 9x7mm and 2-4 cts seems to be about the weight range for that size. (The color and size of the stone are more important to me than the weight.) The "flawless" clarity would be ideal, not a necessity. I will be sure to look for AGL or GIA lab papers before buying. Does it matter which?

Glad to find another violet stone lover!

Thanks,
Jrmag

Jrmag

Rough_Rock
Hi distracts,

Thanks for the vendors suggestions! I will definitely try to get in touch with Prima Gems and Vance Gems to see if they might be bringing any of the purple sapphires that I'm interested in to the Gem show this weekend.

Please let me know if any other vendors come to mind.

Thanks and wish me luck! I will post if/when I find my purple stone.

Jrmag

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
Are you some what local to the show? Hunt Country doesn't attend the shows anymore but they are in a loudoun and often have color changers and purples. They cut but the stones aren't on the website; may be worth calling to see if they have any in stock you could view.

Www.huntcountry.com

Also, have you considered blue/purple spinel? Might open the search up a bit! Best of luck!

Jrmag

Rough_Rock
Hi Avastar,

Thank you for your suggestion to contact Hunt Country. I am not local to the area, but I will be in the area for a couple of weeks to visit family during this holiday season. I will get in touch with them to see if they might have some purple or color change sapphires available.

I hadn't considered blue/purple spinel, but I would be interested if they are as hard*y as sapphires. What are your thoughts of sapphire vs. spinel (besides the price difference)?

Thanks!
Jrmag

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
(Oops, i meant 3 points in my first post, not 2 obviously :rodent: )

To answer your question, I've read that AGL is better for CS than GIA is. GIA had the infamous slip of mistaking synthetic for natural alexandrite. They've missed ( or just didn't check for) oiling in corundum (a PSer's gem no less). There are many other labs like Gueblin and SSEF which I've read are fine, but I cant say I'm sure. GIA is a must for fancy coloured diamonds though.

I hope others will give a better answer.

Thanks for answering my question distracts.

Ps. Spinel is 8 on mohs scale of hardness while sapphire is 9. Spinel is still durable and i see it recommended for an everyday ring a lot. I think spinel is also a good option for you. Good luck!

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
As LK said, not quite as hard as sapphire, but a tough little cookie nonetheless. I wear both a color change sapphire and a blue purple spinel and they are a fantastic match for each other. My spinel is in a pendant, but I'm still not overly careful of it and it's in great shape 3 years in of daily wear. Same for my sapphire, which is in a ring; my tanzanite however...dinged it in 6 months! :errrr:

From what I have seen (and I have not been looking especially hard lately) I think your budget may be tight for what you'd like in sapphire, but would be much more achievable in spinel, so I hope it opens up some opportunities to a)get what you'll ultimately love and b) see lots of pretty stones in the process!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on how hard you are on your jeweller. I think Forte Kitty "killed" her spinel and sapphire, banging it against drawers at work. If worn with the usual care (nothing special or particularly hard), spinel is durable enough as an everyday ring stone.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would love for you to be able to find an unheated purple/violet sapphire the color of tanzanite (and by that I assume you mean of similar saturation level as well) of even 2 cts for that price, but it is highly unlikely. As you know, you pay a premium for untreated sapphires, and sapphires of 2+ cts (and higher prices per carat the greater the carat weight). In addition, purple ones seem pretty rare. If you raise your budget, I am sure you will find one, particularly since you seek an oval.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jrmag|1418800997|3802843 said:
Ideally, I am looking for an oval 2-4 ct bluish violet or color change sapphire, unheated, brilliant cut, and flawless clarity in the price range of $3000 or below.

Your budget requirement is tight. I'm not sure you can find a 2 carat unheated sapphire for $3K with the intensity of a nice rich tanzanite.

Jrmag

Rough_Rock
Thanks, LoversKite! I will keep those lab reports in mind when I find the stone I'm looking for.

Jrmag

Jrmag

Rough_Rock
Aviastar,

Thanks for sharing your personal experience with your CSs. I know my budget may be tight for a 2+ ct of sapphire, but I'm willing to go up in cost, if the stone is right. My "requirements" are not set in stone (pun intended). ;-) I am willing to be flexible on all aspects -- except the color. Hopefully, I will find a nice purple sapphire, but if I don't, I will definitely be open to a spinel as well. I'd prefer a hard stone just because I tend to be a bit hard on my jewelry (though more on the bottom side of a ring than the top).

Speaking of which, because my rings tend to get beaten up on the underside, which white metal would be best to choose (10K, 14K, 18K, or platinum)? My engagement and wedding rings are platinum, but it looks pretty scratched up over time.

Thanks,
Jrmag

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
As you can probably tell form my own stone collection- I'm a blurple girl, too ;))

Mine are all in platinum, some with 18k rose accents. I don't mind "the patina" in exchange for the longer life of the metal, especially prongs, due to platinum's density. But if the scratches really bother you I'd go with 18 or 14k white. I wouldn't set a valuable forever ring in 10k.

Jrmag

Rough_Rock
Hi Minousbijoux and Chrono,

Thanks for your feedback. I'm hoping that I'll get lucky at the Gem show this weekend and find the purple sapphire that I've been looking for, for so long. If it's exactly what I'm looking for and costs a bit more, I'd be willing to do it -- or if it's a bit smaller or heated and costs less, than that would be fine, too. It's the overall value that I'm looking for. :)

Wish me luck!
Jrmag

Jrmag

Rough_Rock
Hi Aviastar,

That's good to know. Thanks for the advice -- from one blurple girl to another! ;-) I like the weightiness and feel of platinum. But I have to admit, I prefer my jewelry to look less "worn in".

There seems to be a big price difference between platinum and gold... However, there doesn't seem to be much of a difference in cost between 14K vs. 18K. Do you (or others) know how they compare in terms of scratching, strength and durability?

Thanks!
Jrmag

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jrmag|1418962742|3804025 said:
Hi Minousbijoux and Chrono,

Thanks for your feedback. I'm hoping that I'll get lucky at the Gem show this weekend and find the purple sapphire that I've been looking for, for so long. If it's exactly what I'm looking for and costs a bit more, I'd be willing to do it -- or if it's a bit smaller or heated and costs less, than that would be fine, too. It's the overall value that I'm looking for. :)

Wish me luck!
Jrmag

We wish you lots of luck and eagle eyes! Remember that some vendors are willing to negotiate the price, so don't necessarily take the initial price as the final one. In addition to looking at Sri Lankan stones, be on the lookout for stones from Madagascar as well - they often seem to come in very rich colors. :))

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
18kt gold is softer than 14kt because it is more pure, and gold is a soft metal. Platinum will be the most secure. I would just get it polished more often is all.

Jrmag

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

Thanks for all the advice and good wishes for my first Gem Show buying experience! Here's an update on my buying quest for a blue-violet sapphire at the Chantilly,VA Gem Show... I specifically met with the two vendors that PS'ers suggested (Primagems and Vance Gens). Both were delightful and had the best quality gems by far. However, neither had the specific color stone I was looking for. But I did end up finding a great 3.62 ct (9.5x7 mm) perfect color sapphire for about half the price because it was heat treated and had some minor slight eye inclusions (white spotting) on one side of the stone. Because it has been such an ordeal to find an affordable bV sapphire w/in my budget, I reluctantly bought this one as a "back-up" since the vendor was willing to fully refund it within a few moths, should I change my mind (due to hesitancy about the inclusions).

Now my dilemma is whether to buy one from GemsNY seems to fit my criteria (at least online & in video), but it costs more than DOUBLE the one I purchased -- and 1 ct less because it's unheated and has no inclusions...OR try to improve the look of my current stone by having it professionally recut...OR hold out even longer (I've waited almost 15 yrs!) in hopes of finding a better, more affordable stone from a trusted vendor.

What are your thoughts?! If I should go with the recutting route, please share your recommendations for gem cutters whom you've had excellent personal experience dealing with (esp with oval sapphire recuts). I've reviewed the list of trusted PS gem cutters, but I am hoping for some "personal" references.

Thanks for your help!

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi. Not sure where you're at with this, but Dan Stair and Jerry Newman both do recuts, it would be worth checking in with them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results