shape
carat
color
clarity

Is anyone else having problems with James Allen?

AN0NYM0US

Shiny_Rock
On December 4th I paid for a pear shaped diamond to be set in a pendant.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/0.88-carat-k-color-si2-clarity-sku-325203
http://www.jamesallen.com/pendants/...ite-gold-pave-bail-pendant-setting-item-17152

This was to be a Christmas present for my Wife. This is the 3rd year in a row that I have ordered from James Allen for Christmas. The 2 previous years were stud earrings. 2012 Asscher cut, went smoothly delivered on time, as ordered, Beautiful. 2013 Round Brilliant, paid extra for screwbacks and were sent friction. My Wife said she could live with the friction backs and James Allen refunded the fee, very nice earrings.

This year I was told my shipping date would be "no later than December 16th". I was fine with this as it should allow for enough time to travel to Canada and clear customs (international order). December 16th arrived and I contacted their 24 hour support. I was told that due to order volume my order ship date had been bumped to December 18th.

Well today came and passed and I hadn't received any contact from James Allen (I like to pay the duties through FedEx in advance to expedite custom clearance, but I need the tracking number to do so). So again I contacted the 24 hour support. I was told it should be out tomorrow (December 19th) now at the latest.

I said I was concerned about not receiving it in time for Christmas and I was told "It should make it in time". Well that was not very reassuring lol.

I really thought ordering on December 4th would give them enough time. This has been a stressful experience for me.

Has anyone else had issues with James Allen keeping accurate shipping dates this holiday season? Am I overreacting?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have not had this issue, but I do think that they didn't expect their sale to be as booming as it was.

AN0NYM0US

Shiny_Rock
What a wonderful problem for them to have. :boohoo:

julesxxxooo

Rough_Rock
I ordered a ring on Dec 1st. JA gives you an estimated ship date which is kind of meaningless when you place the order. It changes when it goes into production after payment is cleared to something more realistic. My ring arrived yesterday, finally. My expected ship date started as the 14th, jumped to the 18th, it shipped on the 17th. I had inquired about it via their chat reps as to the delay and was told they normally receive about 1,000 ring orders per month and after their black Friday sale, they were averaging 600 ring orders PER DAY! Their NY staff is working 12-14 hour shifts to get orders out. When she told me that, I calmed down. I would rather them not be sleep deprived and grumpy while making my jewelry!
And my ring is breathtaking, worth the wait.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yikes yea that is not reassuring. Hopefully Mr. Schultz will see this post and chime in.

AN0NYM0US|1418981973|3804106 said:
Dude, Not cool.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He ordered the item on December 1st, so it's quite annoying that it may not be there for Christmas, I can see that. It's almost four weeks ahead of time.

I ordered a ring from JA during their 25% off sale, I forget the date but it was around December 8th. They said it would ship December 18th overnight and it has. I pick it up today.

My ring has no stones, though, it's just plain gold, so maybe that's the difference. No setting time, no getting the diamond from place to place.

JA should have laid on some extra staff at this time of year. It's very disappointing to order 25 days before Christmas and not get the item in time.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I ordered an eternity band on 12/7.

It was supposed be shipped no later than 12/16 but I got it last Saturday on the 13th. Mine took less than a week but I also live in the same city as their showroom.

Was this a custom project? Because if so, they shouldn't have told you it would ready before Christmas even if the last two years went smoothly. You never know how many orders they have, and 3 weeks during a holiday season is cutting it a little close.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1419001512|3804177 said:
Yikes yea that is not reassuring. Hopefully Mr. Schultz will see this post and chime in.

Dude, Not cool.

They are selling too much, your wife's expensive diamond present might come on the 26th.... :boohoo:

No, but seriously, I know when shipping delays a Christmas present. I got my mom pearls guaranteed to be shipped by Xmas, but as shippers were soooo overwhelmed last year, they were not here by Xmas. Its the worst for the giver, but the recipient in sure will appreciate the thought, as well as the bling when it comes.

AN0NYM0US

Shiny_Rock

Dude, Not cool.

Why's that not cool? I can't feel too sorry for them if their problem is they are making too much money this month ;))

AN0NYM0US

Shiny_Rock
elle_chris|1419007667|3804231 said:

It was supposed be shipped no later than 12/16 but I got it last Saturday on the 13th. Mine took less than a week but I also live in the same city as their showroom.

Was this a custom project? Because if so, they shouldn't have told you it would ready before Christmas even if the last two years went smoothly. You never know how many orders they have, and 3 weeks during a holiday season is cutting it a little close.

I'm not sure what is considered custom? It was a single diamond to be set in their standard pendant settings. It wasn't preset.

AN0NYM0US

Shiny_Rock
Niel|1419017087|3804319 said:

Dude, Not cool.

They are selling too much, your wife's expensive diamond present might come on the 26th.... :boohoo:

Does FedEx deliver on boxing day? :whistle:

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
AN0NYM0US said:

I'm not sure what is considered custom? It was a single diamond to be set in their standard pendant settings. It wasn't preset.

good question, not really sure what they consider it.

did you speak with them again? light a fire under their arses. if they said you'd get it, they should do everything they can to make sure you do.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Or you could not be even more obnoxious that this poster has had the good fortune this year to buy his wife a nice gift.

The vendor gave the customer a date, and they missed it. Yes they're busy and overwhelmed, all the vendors are. It is the holiday rush afterall. It's not the customer's fault that they expect those dates to be met or an explanation given when they're not, don't overpromise what you might not be able to deliver. Just say "it might not be there in time for the holidays, we will do our best to make that deadline." Shipping companies are obviously also overwhelmed and will surely blow it with a few gifts as well. You don't need to be a jerk about it that the poster is disappointed with the lack of communication. No one gave you crap when you had your own issues with this vendor in the past.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1419018867|3804339 said:
Or you could not be even more obnoxious that this poster has had the good fortune this year to buy his wife a nice gift.

The vendor gave the customer a date, and they missed it. Yes they're busy and overwhelmed, all the vendors are. It is the holiday rush afterall. It's not the customer's fault that they expect those dates to be met or an explanation given when they're not, don't overpromise what you might not be able to deliver. Just say "it might not be there in time for the holidays, we will do our best to make that deadline." Shipping companies are obviously also overwhelmed and will surely blow it with a few gifts as well. You don't need to be a jerk about it that the poster is disappointed with the lack of communication. No one gave you crap when you had your own issues with this vendor in the past.

I'm not trying to be a jerk. It was a joke. And like I JUST said, this situation happened to me almost exactly last year.

I was guaranteed delivery before Christmas and I didn't get it.

I was just trying to convey the fact that its the thought that counts, and I'm sure if for some reason it doesn't come, shell appreciate the sentiment as well as get to enjoy the gift when it does come.

Like I said, I can understand, and it does feel like the worst when yoy plan something nice and it doesn't work out.

Either way, in a perfect world, a vendor should absolutely deliver by the day they promise.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Niel|1419019428|3804348 said:

I'm not trying to be a jerk. It was a joke. And like I JUST said, this situation happened to me almost exactly last year.

I was just trying to convey the fact that its the thought that counts, and I'm sure if for some reason it doesn't come, shell appreciate the sentiment as well as get to enjoy the gift when it does come.

Like I said, I can understand, and it does feel like the worst when yoy plan something nice and it doesn't work out.

Either way, in a perfect world, a vendor should absolutely deliver by the day they promise.
I appreciate that, and I don't think you are being particularly jerky, though Anonymous is. Repeatedly.

It is definitely the thought that counts. I don't usually give a rip if a gift arrives on time or not, unless there's some big proposal planned on a specific date or something. That counts to me. But I do think if they're trying to meet a deadline and date they provided, and they miss it or will miss it, they need to explain to you why and what's going on. Being busy is perfectly understandable, things happen. But tell the customer that.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1419020310|3804356 said:
Niel|1419019428|3804348 said:

I appreciate that, and I don't think you are being particularly jerky, though Anonymous is. Repeatedly.

It is definitely the thought that counts. I don't usually give a rip if a gift arrives on time or not, unless there's some big proposal planned on a specific date or something. That counts to me. But I do think if they're trying to meet a deadline and date they provided, and they miss it or will miss it, they need to explain to you why and what's going on. Being busy is perfectly understandable, things happen. But tell the customer that.

Yeah, I get upset if say, it was a kids gift,you know... Like its hard to explain to a 4 year old why he didn't get a present but his 4 cousins did.

And you're totally right, be transparent with the customer about expectations if they change.

AN0NYM0US

Shiny_Rock
elle_chris|1419018264|3804338 said:
AN0NYM0US said:

good question, not really sure what they consider it.

did you speak with them again? light a fire under their arses. if they said you'd get it, they should do everything they can to make sure you do.

I've spoken to 24 hour support twice about it. They know it's a gift. We left it at "I'll receive an email when it's shipped."

AN0NYM0US

Shiny_Rock
Haha ame. Perhaps I am being a little too cheeky for you. It's all in good fun at this point. What can I do? Anger is your way of dealing with things not mine.

I never once blasted JA. I was simply asking if others have had issues and it looks like some have and some haven't.

Thank you for your input though. I see we agree about giving accurate shipping times.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AN0NYM0US|1419021004|3804365 said:
Haha ame. Perhaps I am being a little too cheeky for you. It's all in good fun at this point. What can I do? Anger is your way of dealing with things not mine.

I never once blasted JA. I was simply asking if others have had issues and it looks like some have and some haven't.

Thank you for your input though. I see we agree about giving accurate shipping times.

Try not to worry about it. If there one thing you can't control ots FedEx. Believe me, I tried lol

Id just be an annoying Andy and email them every day until it ships.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya|1419004260|3804201 said:
He ordered the item on December 1st, so it's quite annoying that it may not be there for Christmas, I can see that. It's almost four weeks ahead of time. * * * JA should have laid on some extra staff at this time of year. It's very disappointing to order 25 days before Christmas and not get the item in time.
Well, he didn't actually place his order until the 4th (who knows precisely when the credit card company did what was required to kick off the order on JA's end), and it's not yet Xmas, so it may still arrive by Christmas Eve. As for hiring seasonal help to do the bench work, we can't realistically expect JA to contact, e.g., the state's local unemployment compensation office & tell them to send over 20 people, there are diamond setting jobs waiting for whoever is looking for temporary holiday work.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
We are on the same page, aiming for the same resolution, and both expecting that they give accurate dates. I really do hope Jim chimes in. Believe me, I have been there, waiting for an answer, hounding someone for weeks trying to get some update in some cases only to find out nothing was even done yet. (THAT is some serious BS...I might add!) :wall:

I REALLY hope you get the update and all goes through on schedule.

AN0NYM0US

Shiny_Rock
Thank you everyone for the support and well wishes. I will update as soon as I hear something. Fingers crossed. Season greetings to all.

ATiffanyHoliday

Rough_Rock
I've never completed a purchase from James Allen. I tried to once, to purchase a 1.2 carat cushion engagement ring last year. When I called to ask about the ring and I told them I learned about them from Pricescope, they told me I was better off steering clear of that diamond. I told them I wanted it anyway and they flat out told me they wouldn't sell it to me. I think maybe because the stone didn't really exist? An online stone? I went to Tiffany's and everyone is happy, got my ring on time too :) Can you cancel the order and go to a Tiffany's and walk out with something already gift wrapped (same day service! lol)! It's not a popular opinion to prefer Tiffany over online vendors, but in my experience Tiffany is superior for reasons beyond the quality of a diamond. Good luck!

AN0NYM0US

Shiny_Rock
I just wanted to post an update.

It was close but James Allen delivered (pun intended). I apologize for doubting them when they said it should arrive in time, but the 3 completion dates had shook my confidence.

The necklace is beautiful and I am very happy right now.

Also the JA customer service people are top notch. I've only had good experiences with them. They all deserve a raise. :clap:

Thank you to everyone that chimed in here and Happy Holidays to all.

:wavey:

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
YAY! Have fun playing Santa Claus ;))

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I woke up this morning hoping to see good news for you! I'm so glad. Sorry you had to sweat it out.

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
Pictures? ;-)

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh excellent!!! AWESOME NEWS!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results