shape
carat
color
clarity

Proposal Ideas - UK Based (Near London) - Boxing Day

TURNER430

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

Really struggling for ideas for how to propose to my better half. I have had the ring for over 6 months now and I am still wracking my brain :wall: ! I settled on boxing day as the date as it is a sentimental date for both me and the other half, I just don't know how to do it!

She is difficult as she has no real hobbies or interests and we don't have anywhere where we go regularly enough to be our 'special' place. She would be mortified by a big showy proposal, but I still want to do it at least slightly publicly (if a tree falls in the forest and theres no one around to hear it does it really make a sound kind of thing). I was thinking a restaurant or something of the like but this didn't feel special enough. She is fond of picnics but it would be freezing out, plus there are so many beautiful locations, how would I choose!

We are lucky as we live fairly close to London so there is a lot of choice around but right now it feels like too much choice. I know she always wanted to see a show at the New Globe Theatre and we love to hit all the museums once a year but once again none of these locations seemed to fit the bill.

Any UK based guys on here that can help me out here!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi there, I am not UK based but want to wish you good luck and offer a thought. If she is not into showy things and making a public display I would reconsider the public proposal. I am the same way and thankfully my dh proposed in a private setting with (almost) no one else around. Where did you guys go for your first date? Where did you first ask her out? Perhaps those places might be suitable for a proposal and a romantic way to propose as well. Remembering the place where it all started...

Good luck and please come back with how it went and pictures of the ring on her hand. :appl:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me, one of the most romantic spot is by the fountains of a park, like St. Jame's, Russell Square, Trafalgar etc., evenings would be better, however, day time is probably safer.

Also, the middle of Waterloo Bridge in the evening is another one of my favourite spots in London for its views.

How about going up the London Eye in a pod and propose while you are at the top?

Or go to the restaurant at the Shard? Apparently one of the restaurants is very good, and not just for the view.

Good luck!

DK :))

Zizzy

Shiny_Rock
Aw! I can't believe you've had the ring all this time.
I would suggest arranging the day with a few treats, and rather than having a fixed idea of when you will propose, just catch a good moment. If she is private, definitely respect that.
My now fiancé did this on November 14th. We were in London for the weekend. The plans for the day we're going down Bond Street in the morning and buying a watch I was getting him to celebrate a new era for his business; then we were going to see the Remeberance Poppies at The Tower of London; then having a tour around Westminster Abbey. That evening we had a table booked at the Oxo Tower. Unbeknownst to me he had a ring in his pocket and was pretty sure he would propose that day, probably over dinner. In the event, we were stood under a chandelier by the high altar in Westminster Abbey when the moment seemed perfect and he did it there. It was actually lovely that we were standing as I could take hold of his hands and kiss him straight away.
He didn't get down on one knee, - he'd never get up! But that would have attracted too much attention and detracted for me anyway.
Fountains and bridges, as suggested, are good places. A river cruise could be nice if its a blue-sky day.
Try to keep the day relaxed (you'll probably have to pretend for your part) and remember you're not in a film, it's about you and her, not a cinematographer's/director's dream. I wasn't dressed up in my finest, but I was happy and enjoying a lovely day with my boyfriend. It was wonderful.
Good luck and every happiness for the future.

TURNER430

Rough_Rock
We met when we were 17 (over 9 years ago) at a friends house and our first technical date was in a park by her mums house. So they are both out... :twirl:

I was thinking of doing a variety of little things and seeing when the moment felt right a I was considering the shard for dinner so it's good to see other people are on the same page. I know Nicola would hate a grand proposal (which me being me would love to do) so I won't go over the top but if you go for completely secluded you limited yourself in terms of locations.

I went to see the poppies the weekend before you, I did consider doing it there but it was far too crowded. I am considering the London Eye but I am slightly worried it will come across tacky. I love the idea of old buildings, Westminster, St Pauls (one of my favourites) or St Clements Danes as I used to be in RAF (its the Service Church in the Strand), the Natural History Museum (we go there quite a lot and it has ice skating around xmas!). There is Kew gardens (they are doing a winter theme with lights etc) or Greenwich observatory with the park. Or theres so many lovely memorials and fountains. Like the river cruise idea.

That's the problem, too much choice! I also worry that I am picking locations based on what I like rather than Nicola.

I too love the view from waterloo bridge at night. Seen it many a time on the stumble back to catch the first train home!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Primrose Hill at night is also very romantic, however, security could be a concern.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TURNER430|1418895521|3803483 said:
We met when we were 17 (over 9 years ago) at a friends house and our first technical date was in a park by her mums house. So they are both out... :twirl:

I was thinking of doing a variety of little things and seeing when the moment felt right a I was considering the shard for dinner so it's good to see other people are on the same page. I know Nicola would hate a grand proposal (which me being me would love to do) so I won't go over the top but if you go for completely secluded you limited yourself in terms of locations.

I went to see the poppies the weekend before you, I did consider doing it there but it was far too crowded. I am considering the London Eye but I am slightly worried it will come across tacky. I love the idea of old buildings, Westminster, St Pauls (one of my favourites) or St Clements Danes as I used to be in RAF (its the Service Church in the Strand), the Natural History Museum (we go there quite a lot and it has ice skating around xmas!). There is Kew gardens (they are doing a winter theme with lights etc) or Greenwich observatory with the park. Or theres so many lovely memorials and fountains. Like the river cruise idea.

That's the problem, too much choice! I also worry that I am picking locations based on what I like rather than Nicola.

I too love the view from waterloo bridge at night. Seen it many a time on the stumble back to catch the first train home!

Hi, just wanted to add that my first date with my dh was also in a park (Central park) and when he proposed he chose to do so in a park as to bring back memories of our very first date. He waited for the first snowfall of the season and chose a lovely spot in the park that was private and meaningful. I think that is a great idea if it is something that appeals to you...romantic, private and meaningful.

TURNER430

Rough_Rock
As much as I like the nostalgia of the park it just isnt a nice location. I have considered proposing at one of the Commons where we walk our dog, they have spectacular views of the surrey hills but it just doesn't feel special enough for me, as lovely as they are.

TURNER430

Rough_Rock
Right got the day planned, just going to do it when the moments right.

Morning - London Zoo (May switch to afternoon as the tower opens earlier and it will be a busy day!)

Lunch - Picnic in Regents Park.

Afternoon - Tower of London (She's never been, we wanted to go when we saw the poppies but was too busy).

Dinner - Duck and Waffle, Heron Tower.

Evening - Ice skating at Natural History Museum or London Eye.

Thoughts on any of the above as venues?!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMHO, that is a very ambitious itinerary for one day. Not sure what type of transport you are planning to use, however, on Boxing Day, the level of services is greatly reduced across the entire network!

Also for TOL, you would need to factor in the time required to queue for your tickets. Check the opening times as it may be reduced due to short daylight hours.

For me TOL is a day trip on its own. With a 2-hour window, I just about managed to see the Crown Jewels and not much else when I went there a couple of years ago after lunch, and the ticket price was still the same whether I spent 2 hours or a whole day there!

Start early and move fast I'd say, and good luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results