shape
carat
color
clarity

Kindly help a technical moron find a good light laptop

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PSers have more technical knowledge in their fingertips than I have in my whole being so I'm hoping for a little guidance.

I find myself dragging around both my ipad and my old huge heavy laptop when I travel and it's just too much. I would love one device to combine the two if possible. Can anyone recommend a small LIGHT laptop? I want to run MS Office, so a PC, not a MAC (as much as I would happily go that route) and I don't need a ton of storage, but enough to keep some spreadsheets and save down a couple of PDFs and word files that I have to work with as they come along (I can delete them when I'm done). I also don't want to spend a ton of money (preferably not more than $600-$700, and LESS if possible). For some reason I am not in love with the idea of a touch screen, but that is the part I will most easily overcome if necessary. No detachable keyboards (although I think that would take them more toward tablets than laptops). I don't play games or watch videos. And the one thing I have come to love (but will give up if necessary) is a keyboard that lights up.

I've spent hours and hours on the web trying to make sense of the options but I think a little real life advice at this point will go farther for me than all the words I see on the screen...

Can someone please steer me in the right direction? I'm heading out of town again this weekend and the idea of dragging all this heavy equipment around again makes my shoulders ache just thinking about it...

ETA: And based on my limited understanding, I do not want a chromebook.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
no you don't want a chromebook they are next to useless without a high speed high quality internet connection.
If you want it before the weekend you don't have time for online so your stuck with in stock models.

I would go to best buy and check out the Lenovo Yoga 2 2 in 1.
The i3 model with 4gb ram.

If you want to wait shop the dell business line laptops not the home units.
i3 4 6 or 8 gb Ram.
Generally for your use 4BG is acceptable, more is not a bad idea.

next choice would be hp.
again i3 4gb would work.

Asus support has gone downhill and acer never had any in the US so avoid them.
In Canada Acer has excellent support but not in the US.

Toshiba is hit and miss sometimes with average support.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
DeeJay, your journey sounds like mine about 3 months ago. I'm travelling increasingly for business, and as I'm pushing an obscene number with a zero on it, I'm much more aware of how unforgiving the body gets. My primary goal was to get a LIGHT.....did I mention LIGHT?.....laptop. My company-issued Dell weighs 3.75 lbs, and by the time I add the monstrous charger in, that's nearly 5 lbs in my bag for just the equipment alone. I had to make a change.

Like you, I absolutely had to have MS Office functionality - it's what my company (and most of my clients) use. Like you, I am a card-carrying Apple fan for tablet/entertainment (I have the retina mini 2 --also bought in an effort to lighten the bag load), but I was not sure transitioning to Apple for work would work for me. Also like you, I actually don't prefer the touch screen - I get annoyed when I have to take my hands off the normal position to touch a screen - I wanted a mouse.

My solution? I bought a refurbished Macbook Air from Apple. Here were the deciding factors in my decision:

1. Weight. The 11" Macbook Air is just 2.39 lbs, and the power cord is about another 7-8 oz. That means I cut almost two full pounds of weight out of my bag (and off my shoulder). I use mine mostly for travel, but if you prefer a larger format, the 13" is only a few ounces heavier.

2. Weight. (Did I mention weight? Yeah, I did - but it was important enough to be my top 2 reasons - lol.)

3. Price. I ultimately wanted to pay as little as possible since this was coming out of my wallet (company won't reimburse since they provide the Dells), and I didn't want it to be a waste of $$. I managed to get a 256K flash machine for $869 refurb, and it's been flawless since purchase 8 weeks ago. It comes with the same original warranty as a new machine, so low/no risk.

4. Functionality. MS Office is available for the Mac now, and it's stupid cheap to license annually. For $69.99/yr, you can get Office 365 for 1 laptop/PC AND one tablet. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/microso...dows/5058004.p?id=1219110267684&skuId=5058004 (Also, I can remote into my work machine, and it's like I"m working at my desktop there).

5. Aesthetics. I am a touch typist, and I struggle to type on most laptops because of the flatttened keyboard configuration. The apple keyboard is elegant to the touch and so so easy to type on - nothing else comes even close for me. Also, the trackpad isn't ridiculously sensitive (like my Dell is and like the Microsoft Surface tablet is), so I don't get that annoying issue of cursor jumping back into sentence because I lightly touch the trackpad.

6. No touch screen. I prefer a mouse, and I found a kick-ass optical mouse (Rocksoul Optical Wireless Bluetooth Mouse) that's also super light, and it works seamlessly with the Macbook Air. Ridiculously light, and yet comfortable in the hand. I got mine at Fry's Electronics, but it looks like several places have them - for instance: http://www.walmart.com/ip/23988568?...82270952&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78812148752&veh=sem

At the time I was shopping, I did go look at the Microsoft Surface as well - not only did I vehemently dislike the keyboard feel (cannot touch type accurately with it), but I also didn't really want the removable keyboard or touch functionality. (The whole reason I need a laptop in addition to ipad is that I can't put a mouse onto the ipad!) Lastly, the damned thing did not come with MS Office, which I'd expect if I'm chipping for a MS product. The Surface was more expensive for less functionality and less elegance - pass.

I will say that I did invest the $100 for the year of being able to go in to Apple to get help working in new environment - there is a small transition period. I spent 15 min nearly ready to spike the laptop when I couldn't find the 'print screen' button (on apple's system, it's Command+shift+3 instead), but I've found that most questions I have can be easily answered with a 60-second google search. The inconvenience of the learning curve in that first week has been far, FAR outweighed by the major benefits from the transition.

I'll be curious to hear what you end up with....keep us posted.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just looked into this for a friend who travels for business. Karl made some great recommendations. Also agree with his dis-recommendations.

I have a Lenovo (one of their big laptops... talk about heavy!) and have had no problems with it. Works great.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
aljdewey|1418797305|3802823 said:
DeeJay, your journey sounds like mine about 3 months ago. I'm travelling increasingly for business, and as I'm pushing an obscene number with a zero on it, I'm much more aware of how unforgiving the body gets. My primary goal was to get a LIGHT.....did I mention LIGHT?.....laptop. My company-issued Dell weighs 3.75 lbs, and by the time I add the monstrous charger in, that's nearly 5 lbs in my bag for just the equipment alone. I had to make a change.

Like you, I absolutely had to have MS Office functionality - it's what my company (and most of my clients) use. Like you, I am a card-carrying Apple fan for tablet/entertainment (I have the retina mini 2 --also bought in an effort to lighten the bag load), but I was not sure transitioning to Apple for work would work for me. Also like you, I actually don't prefer the touch screen - I get annoyed when I have to take my hands off the normal position to touch a screen - I wanted a mouse.

My solution? I bought a refurbished Macbook Air from Apple. Here were the deciding factors in my decision:

1. Weight. The 11" Macbook Air is just 2.39 lbs, and the power cord is about another 7-8 oz. That means I cut almost two full pounds of weight out of my bag (and off my shoulder). I use mine mostly for travel, but if you prefer a larger format, the 13" is only a few ounces heavier.

2. Weight. (Did I mention weight? Yeah, I did - but it was important enough to be my top 2 reasons - lol.)

3. Price. I ultimately wanted to pay as little as possible since this was coming out of my wallet (company won't reimburse since they provide the Dells), and I didn't want it to be a waste of $$. I managed to get a 256K flash machine for $869 refurb, and it's been flawless since purchase 8 weeks ago. It comes with the same original warranty as a new machine, so low/no risk.

4. Functionality. MS Office is available for the Mac now, and it's stupid cheap to license annually. For $69.99/yr, you can get Office 365 for 1 laptop/PC AND one tablet. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/microso...dows/5058004.p?id=1219110267684&skuId=5058004 (Also, I can remote into my work machine, and it's like I"m working at my desktop there).

5. Aesthetics. I am a touch typist, and I struggle to type on most laptops because of the flatttened keyboard configuration. The apple keyboard is elegant to the touch and so so easy to type on - nothing else comes even close for me. Also, the trackpad isn't ridiculously sensitive (like my Dell is and like the Microsoft Surface tablet is), so I don't get that annoying issue of cursor jumping back into sentence because I lightly touch the trackpad.

6. No touch screen. I prefer a mouse, and I found a kick-ass optical mouse (Rocksoul Optical Wireless Bluetooth Mouse) that's also super light, and it works seamlessly with the Macbook Air. Ridiculously light, and yet comfortable in the hand. I got mine at Fry's Electronics, but it looks like several places have them - for instance: http://www.walmart.com/ip/23988568?...82270952&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78812148752&veh=sem

At the time I was shopping, I did go look at the Microsoft Surface as well - not only did I vehemently dislike the keyboard feel (cannot touch type accurately with it), but I also didn't really want the removable keyboard or touch functionality. (The whole reason I need a laptop in addition to ipad is that I can't put a mouse onto the ipad!) Lastly, the damned thing did not come with MS Office, which I'd expect if I'm chipping for a MS product. The Surface was more expensive for less functionality and less elegance - pass.

I will say that I did invest the $100 for the year of being able to go in to Apple to get help working in new environment - there is a small transition period. I spent 15 min nearly ready to spike the laptop when I couldn't find the 'print screen' button (on apple's system, it's Command+shift+3 instead), but I've found that most questions I have can be easily answered with a 60-second google search. The inconvenience of the learning curve in that first week has been far, FAR outweighed by the major benefits from the transition.

I'll be curious to hear what you end up with....keep us posted.

Agree - Mac is the way to go if you can find some way to swing it. Best of luck in your search, OP:)

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I know you said no Mac, but I feel that hands down the best lightweight laptop is an Air. They are speedy and light and have amazing battery life. They also run Microsoft programs! I have office on mine right now.

A little higher than your price range, but due to the build quality and solid state hardrive they will outlast the competition. I just sold my 4 year old air online for $450! Nothing wrong with it and people are willing to pay big bucks for used apple products. I put the money towards a new one and its just as good.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for the Mac Air as long as it can run your programs. I love love love my macbook Air and it is lightweight but durable and the battery lasts so long. Perhaps as Alj suggested you can find one in your price range that is refurbished but has a full warranty. Good luck.

TechieTechie

Shiny_Rock
DeeJay,

If you want to work on MS office without quirks, do not get an Apple. I have a friend with one (particularly if you have to share files with an MS OS (Operating system)) and file formatting gets changes, files get corrupted, etc. You'll be trading off light for serious frustration. Apples were originally designed to be closed operating systems and they still have some issues with filesharing across OS.

Personally, I would choose a Lenovo. They are strong, lightweight, and super durable. And you can get them refurbished for a steal (with 2nd day shipping). I've bought my last 3 personal laptops this way, and they outlast me (and I travel 24/7 and usually need my work laptop replaced every year because I beat them to death). Unfortunately, so close to the holidays, the refurbished selection at Lenovo Outlet is pretty much zilch.

But, you can get a basic X240, new, for around $800 direct from Lenovo. You could ask about expedited shipping, otherwise, not sure you'd have it by this weekend. I have this exact same laptop and really like it. http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/x-series/x240/... If you can wait for it to show up in the Outlet (or are willing to stretch your budget at bit) it will be a great investment that will last you for years. It's got a great keyboard (much better than my sister's Dell), good battery life (Mine goes 6-8 hours on a plane with 8 programs running, bright display, etc). Here's a review: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2429868,00.asp.. Otherwise, the X140 is certainly in your pricerange (under $500) but it has a lower quality processor (AMD instead of Intel) and a lot less memory...and it's heavier.

I would personally stick with Windows 7 operating system (home if you can get it)...rock solid and time tested (8 was built for touchscreens and is still a bit buggy). But 8 is serviceable. Since you don't play video games and aren't a graphic designer (or any sort of heavy graphics user) you don't need to upgrade RAAM (memory) or storage or upgrade to a solid state harddrive. Just get the basic Lenovo.

Good luck!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you ALL for the info and advice!

I would love love love a Mac, but another reason I can't go that route (and I should have put this in my original post) is that I use a specific tax preparation software that will NOT run on a Mac and my colleagues have said that remote access into the tax prep platform doesn't work either. Sad but true...

Stormy, to be sure I'm looking at the right one, you suggest this:

Lenovo - Yoga 2 2-in-1 11.6" Touch-Screen Laptop - Intel Core i3 - 4GB Memory - 500GB Hard Drive - Silver/Black

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-yoga-2-2-in-1-11-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i3-4gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive-silver-black/8618406.p?id=1219354100002&skuId=8618406

and not this:

Lenovo - Yoga 2 2-in-1 11.6" Touch-Screen Laptop - Intel Pentium - 4GB Memory - 500GB Hard Drive - Silver

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-yoga-2-2-in-1-11-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-pentium-4gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive-silver/3297045.p?id=1219090034631&skuId=3297045

correct?

Also, do you have any thoughts on this Dell if they happen to have it in stock at Costco:

Dell Inspiron 11 3000 Series 2-in-1 Laptop | Intel Core i3

http://www.costco.com/Dell-Inspiron-11-3000-Series-2-in-1-Laptop-%7c-Intel-Core-i3.product.100145717.html

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
TechieTechie|1418827995|3802930 said:
DeeJay,

If you want to work on MS office without quirks, do not get an Apple. I have a friend with one (particularly if you have to share files with an MS OS (Operating system)) and file formatting gets changes, files get corrupted, etc. You'll be trading off light for serious frustration. Apples were originally designed to be closed operating systems and they still have some issues with filesharing across OS

Really strange. My travel laptop is a mac and my work desktop is a PC. I routinely share/transfer files between the two with no issue. Maybe your friend has a version compatibility problem?

Eta: saw your post about the tax program. If not a Mac, go for lenovo.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dee*Jay|1418830163|3802945 said:
Thank you ALL for the info and advice!

I would love love love a Mac, but another reason I can't go that route (and I should have put this in my original post) is that I use a specific tax preparation software that will NOT run on a Mac and my colleagues have said that remote access into the tax prep platform doesn't work either. Sad but true...

Stormy, to be sure I'm looking at the right one, you suggest this:

Lenovo - Yoga 2 2-in-1 11.6" Touch-Screen Laptop - Intel Core i3 - 4GB Memory - 500GB Hard Drive - Silver/Black

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-yoga-2-2-in-1-11-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i3-4gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive-silver-black/8618406.p?id=1219354100002&skuId=8618406

and not this:

Lenovo - Yoga 2 2-in-1 11.6" Touch-Screen Laptop - Intel Pentium - 4GB Memory - 500GB Hard Drive - Silver

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-yoga-2-2-in-1-11-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-pentium-4gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive-silver/3297045.p?id=1219090034631&skuId=3297045

correct?
yes, there is nothing really wrong with the second one the first is ~20% faster on average.

Also, do you have any thoughts on this Dell if they happen to have it in stock at Costco:

Dell Inspiron 11 3000 Series 2-in-1 Laptop | Intel Core i3

http://www.costco.com/Dell-Inspiron-11-3000-Series-2-in-1-Laptop-%7c-Intel-Core-i3.product.100145717.html
From what I have read the yoga blows away the dell 2 in 1.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm posting so I can bookmark this. I also want to get a light and small laptop, primarily for writing and also web access. I am also concerned about a "usable" keyboard (I am picky). looks like mac air and lenova yoga are way to go, but it seems they are the higher priced of the options out there. Probably will wait until I can get to stores and try things in person. My MIL recommended when I have made a decision, to buy at Costco because of their good warranties.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for that info Stormy! I just read a bunch of reviews about the core vs. pentium. For single task work it probably wouldn't kill me to have the pentium, but it may be a mind clean thing that compels me to get the core. It is almost 30% more though... hm...

I've checked on line and the Best Buys near me have both versions so I'll check them out tonight. In about 8 hours I should be posting from a new machine!

Part Gypsy, if Costco has the brand you want I second the idea of getting it there. Unfortunately they don't carry Lenovo or it would be a no brainer for me.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay - this doesn't apply to you because of the tax program crossover issues. I'm sorry to hear that. :(sad

For anyone else looking at the same dilemma who needs MS Office for work compatibility reasons, but doesn't want to pay insane prices to add microsoft office: check with your office IT staff to see whether you can get an MS Office license through Microsoft's HUP (home use program?) option. My former agency used to offer HUP licenses about once a year - they allowed you to purchase MS Office for either PC or MAC for your home computer, for $10 - 20.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Great thread DeeJay! I'm probably even more technically challenged than you are and I'm limping along with a laptop with no "N" key that is slow as molasses and old as dirt, mostly because I find the prospect of shopping for a new one worse than shopping for a new car or bathing suit!! Hoping to "copy" off of you on this one! :angel:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dee*Jay|1418840836|3803055 said:
Thank you for that info Stormy! I just read a bunch of reviews about the core vs. pentium. For single task work it probably wouldn't kill me to have the pentium, but it may be a mind clean thing that compels me to get the core. It is almost 30% more though... hm...

I've checked on line and the Best Buys near me have both versions so I'll check them out tonight. In about 8 hours I should be posting from a new machine!

Part Gypsy, if Costco has the brand you want I second the idea of getting it there. Unfortunately they don't carry Lenovo or it would be a no brainer for me.
Not long ago the Pentium models were a good buy because they were 90% as fast as the i3 because they were the same architecture and full cores.
The newer laptop Pentiums are simplified and much slower cores in a different architecture.
Some of the desktop Pentiums are still the full core versions making it more complicated there to get the right ones. All of the laptop Pentiums are now the weaker slower architecture.
The newer Pentium is much slower per core but have more cores than i3. On a per core basis they are up to 70% slower on some tasks but about 20% slower on something that uses all 4 cores vs 2 cores on i3.
Office is not well multithreaded so it runs better on a p3 and odds are the tax software is not multithreaeded at all.
Which is why I recommend the i3.

For simple web-surfing and email the Pentium would be fine but I think you would be happier with the i3 for your use.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ame, my challenge is not Office unfortunately, but the tax preparation software/system that won't play with a Mac...

VR, I'm so glad you posted that because a lot of companies or other organizations (like professional associations) do offer an option for people to get a reduced price stuff like this so hopefully someone can benefit from this info. My x-FIL used to be able to get the Office suite for $10 through the university that he was a professor at. I think there was a limit, but it was high -- maybe 10 a year?

Ha ha Yenny! I'll check in later tonight and let you know what to buy! :cheeky: As for car shopping... well, we all know how THAT goes for me, but I'm right there with you on bathing suits!

BTW, this might be crazy, but I'm taking my little kitchen scale with me to the computer store because I am finding conflicting info on whether the Yoga I'm most likely buying weighs just under 2, or up to 3.4 lbs. That's a big difference in something this light. Also, I cannot find ANYWHERE (including in an attempt to live chat with Lenovo) the weight of the cord/adapter. I swear, my current cord/adapter alone weigh as much as a small Volkswagon!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stormy, we must have been posting at the same time. You are such a welath of information -- thank you!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dee*Jay|1418854883|3803187 said:
Stormy, we must have been posting at the same time. You are such a welath of information -- thank you!
Your welcome.
I am not happy with Intel marketing right now.
It makes it overly complicated for the consumer to use the same name on cpus that are totally different architectures and the explanation is hard to do without getting too technical.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have been an PC guy all the way for years.

After shopping around for weeks, I ended up buying the MacBook Pro.

Love it and the effort to convert to Apple's slightly different way of doing things was pretty painless.

I still use PC at work, but LOVE LOVE LOVE my MacBook while traveling.

Wink

P.S. I put it on their 1 year no interest payments and set up auto pay to pay it off in 10 months rather than 12 just to be sure I avoid the dreaded 1 yr and one day all the interest trap...

Took all the sting out of the higher price.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Light is relative?

As a retired software engineer, we buy only business class laptops and desktops built to our specs.
(The old IBM Thinkpads, now Lenovo T series ).
My previous employer used them as did my husband's employer. They also started using Dell Latitudes too.
Been retired for four years now so haven't really kept up with the latest and greatest, but we do run Windows 7 Professional OS on our machines at home along with Office Professional (that includes MS Access).

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm definitely going to recommend the Lenovo. I'm getting one for Christmas (technically). It's amazing. Mine is a different model than Storm suggested, and has 16GB of RAM and 1Tb of memory, but it is just amazing and lightweight. Mine is the 15-16" model, so a bit bigger. Mine is also backlit in red, which is so easy on the eyes, but not necessary obviously.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a test post to see if a really annoying problem (which resulted in the loss of several of my previously attempted posts!) is solved.

I'm not trying to write out anything long again until I have confidence it will last long enough to get posted!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And trying another post to see if something else is fixed.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
it has been really finicky for me today also.
I have been copy and pasting my posts into notepad in case they don't post I don't have to type them again.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you get one?

What did the Yoga end up weighing?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband goes everywhere with his Lenovo, light powerful he loves it and is on his 3rd one. I had a Dell laptop and it was heavy and a complete S@#$ of a thing to use so I gave it to my Dad. I prefer Apple everything, but if not then I don't think you will go wrong with a Lenovo product.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
If you can't find anything in the PC world light enough, then maybe look into running a windows "parallel desktop" on a nacbook air. We had to do this for our home business when we ran QuickBooks for taxes. I know it used a fair bit of memory so we needed to upgrade our RAM, but it did work until we switched to a program that could run on Mac.

I'm an engineer and in school some of the software was PC only. The vast majority of students had Macs and ran windows for whichever programs needed it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results