shape
carat
color
clarity

Final picks! Five Emerald Cuts with ASETs

EverDiamond

Rough_Rock
I’ve narrowed my search to the following five stones. Special shout out to Gypsy, JulieN, Chrono and the countess valuable posts here for helping me reach this point.

Two choices are from Good Old Gold, three from James Allen. I’ve been pleased with both company’s service and would recommend them. At this point I just need to choose the most beautiful option. Friday is the deadline so this is it. I’m sure any will be pretty, but in a tie I’ll need to lean towards James Allen because of their exchange policy. I imagine GOG has a good one as well, but the stones I’m looking at are from out-of-house.

I originally set out for:
  • 2ct
  • G+
  • eye-clean
  • around 1.35 to 1.45 L/W ratio
  • little/no FL, balanced cut percentages, VG/EX, etc
  • under $17k
  • I think I'd prefer an EC that tends to "glow" more than it is heavily-contrasted, if that makes sense

-GOOD OLD GOLD-

1.60ct G VVS2
$13,534
First shown in this video: http://youtu.be/R2kyGg3I-qM
http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/1-6ct-g-vvs2-emerald-cut-diamond.html
1_31.png
1_32.png

1.75ct G VVS2
$16,209
Fourth shown in this video: http://youtu.be/R2kyGg3I-qM
http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/1-75ct-g-vvs2-emerald-cut-diamond.html
1_33.png
1_35.png

#1 1.60ct aside #2 1.75ct. The one on the right is prettier to my eyes.
comparison_4.jpg

-JAMES ALLEN-

1.76ct H VS1
$11,940
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.76-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-sku-360247
"The gemologist's top recommendation, which offers great light performance. It has a beautiful step cut with a nice balances of brilliance. It has a white "H" color, appears eye clean, and the gemologist found its faceting and shape to be very attractive. Since light performance is important to you, I encourage you to proceed with this diamond."
1_36.png
1_349.jpg

1.82ct G VS1
$15,330
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.82-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-sku-302757
1_37.png
1_350.jpg

1.86ct G VS1
$15,480
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.86-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-sku-366389
1_38.png
1_351.jpg

EverDiamond

Rough_Rock
My gut says it's probably between these three:

1.75ct G VVS2
$16,209
1_35.png

1.76ct H VS1
$11,940
1_349.jpg

1.82ct G VS1
$15,330
1_350.jpg

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Love GOG 1.75 and I would go with them if I had a choice. Just from hanging here they are more of a family feeling to deal with.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only one I like is No2. I wouldn't buy any of the others but No1 is second in my opinion.

EverDiamond

Rough_Rock
Pyramid|1418785982|3802734 said:
The only one I like is No2. I wouldn't buy any of the others but No1 is second in my opinion.

Thanks for the feedback Pyramid.

It would be valuable if you had a moment to share why you like #2 and none of the others. Thanks for any guidance.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the last three look less long and also as the pictures are loaded horizontal I wonder a bit if that is why I am looking at them differently. They also look too black looking to me in the centre of the diamond in the diamond photo not the reflector images. No 1 is pretty but looks like the steps are narrower although wonder if the size of the stone is anything to do with it, looks less open to me as if folded in the middle lenghthwise. I just like the bright look of No2. Ofcourse if I saw them in real life it may be different. I notice the green on the JA stones but to the eye they don't look any better to me.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Think I also like the length of the third James Allen one too. I have looked and the three I prefer are in the 1.43 etc range. There is something I like better about the GOG two though not sure what. The first and second JA ones I don't like the shape of the bowtie in the middle, think it is too fat. Just personal preference someone else would like that better probably.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Think it is the bright bar in the middle of the good old gold pictures I like, the centre step which shows red on the 2nd stone.

It is that I like, although one of the JA stones shows pink in the centre it is only one half of the centre and then pink up the side so not as contrasting. I like the oblong square look in the centre of the No 2 stone with the other bars around it being narrower.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your choices are #2 or #3. They look like they're both nice, but they're different... Is it possible to buy both to observe for a few days and send back the one you don't want? The dimensions are roughly the same, so you can start having your setting made and it won't matter which one you pick.

None of them are particularly contrasty.

EverDiamond

Rough_Rock
JulieN|1418798202|3802830 said:
Your choices are #2 or #3. They look like they're both nice, but they're different... Is it possible to buy both to observe for a few days and send back the one you don't want? The dimensions are roughly the same, so you can start having your setting made and it won't matter which one you pick.

None of them are particularly contrasty.

Thanks JulieN, appreciate your feedback.

I suppose I could swing the finances to do both then return one. It would feel weird for me morally, but for all I know a company is totally fine with it since I'm a serious buyer. That said, GOG (#2) is a 10-day return, and I leave the country on Sunday for a week.

I personally feel drawn to both. I do like all the red in the ASET of #3. Is it a good ASET? I'm also concerned if the bow-tie is too prevalent on #3, or if perhaps that's just because of the angle.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its part of being an online business, you will have returns. Also JA pays for shipping both ways on returns, GOG does not.

emmebee

Shiny_Rock
Also, between #2 and #3... that is not an insignificant price difference! I would definitely take that into consideration when deciding..

EverDiamond

Rough_Rock
emmebee|1418830367|3802946 said:
Also, between #2 and #3... that is not an insignificant price difference! I would definitely take that into consideration when deciding..

That's true. I figure it's ~$13k after tax, then a nice platinum setting -perhaps with more diamonds if she chooses - could add another $2k. Still under budget, but those considerations would push the higher price stones towards the $20k range once the ring is complete.

EverDiamond

Rough_Rock
No one seems to be interested in #4 and #5, being the largest of the bunch. Curious to hear your thoughts on why. Are they definite-no's? Or perhaps just that you like the others more?

I'm looking at #3 with the possibility of getting a second to compare in person (#2, #4, #5). Lots of you prefer #2, and I'm just trying to see what you're seeing - and in this case in comparison to the other two.

Thanks all.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
#2...I like the shape and it seems like a really well balanced stone.

#3 seems like the steps are either all on or all off.
#5 steps are too small for me
#4 seems to have that hollow look but not sure
if it's just the photography.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
EverDiamond|1418843676|3803083 said:
No one seems to be interested in #4 and #5, being the largest of the bunch. Curious to hear your thoughts on why. Are they definite-no's? Or perhaps just that you like the others more?

They are not the biggest. They are the heaviest. In terms of spread (dimensions) neither of them is significantly larger than #2 and #4 is smaller than both 2 and 3 in terms of spread. I have told you this before, spread is what matters not weight. #5 is longer, but if the performance isn't there there's no point in wasting time on a longer duller rock.

My vote is #2 or #3.

EverDiamond

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1418851881|3803155 said:
EverDiamond|1418843676|3803083 said:

They are not the biggest. They are the heaviest. In terms of spread (dimensions) neither of them is significantly larger than #2. I have told you this before, spread is what matters not weight.

My vote is #2 or #3.

Thanks for the reminder and for sharing your preferences Gypsy. I got caught up in the numbers for a moment there.

More for conversation sake and less about my decision at hand, I'm curious what amount people feel is a rough estimate for when a diamond will probably appear larger.

For example, I'm not sure if you're using table % or perhaps table millimeter, but in any case, is there a rule of thumb that you go by? One where you can say, "that one will probably appear larger because it's, for example, .5 mm longer and wider"?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

#3 would be my choice.

cheers--Sharon

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You look at length measurement (mm's) and width measurement. Anything over .2mm on either of those (not combined, do not add or anything weird) is a visual difference.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results