shape
carat
color
clarity

Restring Pearls? Or?

podfoot

Rough_Rock
Last Christmas, I bought my SO a string of pearls (necklace). She doesn't like wearing them because they are too long and fall awkwardly over her chest, but too short to "double up". These are real pearls, so I paid a pretty penny for them all, but what can I do about it? Can I take them to someone to make the string shorter? There is no clasp, and it is simply just a string of natural white pearls.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, you can restring them to be shorter. You can also use the remaining pearls (if there are enough of them) to make a bracelet, or earrings, or both. You will only pay for the restringing and for any clasps you want to use (shorter necklaces need one, as do bracelets). If you make earrings, you'll pay a usually fairly nominal fee for the findings. Many of the online vendors in the sticky thread will do this for a very reasonable fee.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
My first question would be... is the strand to short to double because there is not a clasp? Second, if there was a clasp would she want to wear a double strand? What kind of pearls are they such as akoya, freshwater, south sea? Most pearls are cultured (helped along by man) and when you say "natural" (absolutely no intervention by man what so ever to grow them) that is a whole different meaning. So please tell us more so we can help you.

podfoot

Rough_Rock
4Ranch Girl|1418700229|3801954 said:
My first question would be... is the strand to short to double because there is not a clasp? Second, if there was a clasp would she want to wear a double strand? What kind of pearls are they such as akoya, freshwater, south sea? Most pearls are cultured (helped along by man) and when you say "natural" (absolutely no intervention by man what so ever to grow them) that is a whole different meaning. So please tell us more so we can help you.

They probably could be doubled if there were a clasp - but she can't get the doubling over her head. I suppose if we got someone to add a clasp, that would work!

They are cultured, freshwater, if I remember correctly. I bought her two pearl studs, a pearl bracelet, and a pearl necklace last Christmas, and they were all different. I believe the pearl studs were fake, the bracelet cost as much as the necklace did even though it had about 5x fewer pearls, so I want to say the necklace were the freshwater cultured, but I could be wrong.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
How many inches is the necklace? Typically, necklaces are around 18" (16' to 20" is the usual range). If your SO's neck is slender, a 32" necklace could be doubled if it had a clasp. If it is 35" or longer, it can probably be doubled with a clasp, and can be lengthened, if needed, with an extender chain.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Well adding a clasp is not hard to have done if that is what she would like. Or just removing a few pearls to make the strand the right length for her to wear long. If you bought the strand from any of the internet pearl sellers most of us buy from on this forum contact them for costs most of which would be for the new clasp. I am not a fan of necklaces with out clasps even if they are long enough to go over my head. It is a styling issue. Many of the sellers in the reccomended seller thread would be able to do the work you require.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Before you go to the trouble and expense of restringing or adding clasps, see if you can find a pearl shortener. Then, you can double the strand and fasten it in the back. Easy peasy. Or, even put it over your head, and shorten it that way, with the extra hanging down in the back.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Or this type with strand slid though and closed. The excess hid behind the collar.

shortener.jpg

akoya

Shiny_Rock
if pearls r normal, not expensive = shortener?
if exp = restring with clasp + knots in between

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You need to take into account the length of the pearls, the size of the pearls ( 8mm 9mm 10mm ) and the size of your SO's neck. To double a strand of 32 inches might work if the pearls are smallish and her neck is very slender..but it the pearls are large then it might not work. The larger the pearl the smaller the interior circle. So to best give advice we need the length. If it's like 24 inches .. then I'd go with restringing with a clasp for the necklace and use the remaining pearls for a bracelet. If there are not enough pearls for a necklace you can have a jeweller add in a few round semi precious beads of the same size or Sterling Silver beads - both give a pretty and modern look and add the necessary length.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
katbran|1419931073|3809496 said:
You need to take into account the length of the pearls, the size of the pearls ( 8mm 9mm 10mm ) and the size of your SO's neck. To double a strand of 32 inches might work if the pearls are smallish and her neck is very slender..but it the pearls are large then it might not work. The larger the pearl the smaller the interior circle. So to best give advice we need the length. If it's like 24 inches .. then I'd go with restringing with a clasp for the necklace and use the remaining pearls for a bracelet. If there are not enough pearls for a necklace you can have a jeweller add in a few round semi precious beads of the same size or Sterling Silver beads - both give a pretty and modern look and add the necessary length.

A well chosen clasp can also add some extra length. A small ball claps won't add much but a longer toggle or link clasp can add an appreciable amount. That can be enough to stretch the original strand into two necklaces (to be worn alone or together).

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
An advantage to SeaUrchin's suggestion is that they have a large stock of pearls and may be able to match a few to your strand if you need to expand on it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results