shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help buying a preloved Tiffany aquamarine

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

I was please hoping for some advice and help about an aquamarine ring. There is a ring from Tiffany and Co that was featured in the jewel of the week in this thread...

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-44-tiffany-aquamarine-in-double-halo.192534/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-44-tiffany-aquamarine-in-double-halo.192534/[/URL]

I think it's a really beautiful ring. I have the opportunity to purchase a similar ring from Tiffany & Co pre loved. I absolutely adore the ring, I think it's beautiful, I love the design, and I'm considering the purchase because aesthetically I really love it. But I don't know anything about aquamarine pricing. The one I am looking at is 1.46ct (the one in the thread is a 2.44ct aquamarine) with the same diamond double halo and diamond shank as the ring in this link.

I really think the design is stunning but know nothing about what's normal for the cost of an aquamarine. The seller is willing to sell it to me for $2700 USD.

I'm aware there will be more to an aquamarine than what I can provide here, based on quality, and I know it's a bit of a stab in the dark but I can only assume Tiffany uses a relatively good quality stone in their rings. I have to admit I'm more interested in the design and also aware it's a Tiffany ring, I just want to know roughly am I grossly overpaying for an aquamarine.

I appreciate I'm giving very limited information and that coloured stones are complicated so I do apologise this post is a bit all over the place.

Thanks heaps in advance, if it is possible to give me a rough guidance of whether the price range I am considering for a Tiffany aquamarine is okay?

Thanks heaps.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
What about buying a precisiongems afghan tourmaline and set it??

Def. a more spectacular gem!! And maybe cheaper!?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've seen some Tiffany coloured stones that are nice and some that are not so nice. Some are well cut and some have gaping bay doors. For the most part, their coloured stones are grossly overpriced but when one buys Tiffany, it is for the name. Workmanship on their jewellery seems to be less consistent than in the past.

S

SparkliesLuver

Is the aqua color the same on the ring you're considering and the one in the linked thread? And I assume it's platinum?

I looked up the ring on their site, and found three options for the center stone:

2.00 ct for $8,300
1.25 ct for $6,700 (the closest to the one you're considering)
.70 ct for $5,700

Here's the description:
Shimmering diamonds surround an intensely colored aquamarine. Ring in platinum with a round aquamarine and a double row of round brilliant diamonds. Aquamarine, carat weight 1.25; diamonds, carat total weight .46.

I realize this is a pre-loved ring, but ... hopefully that puts things into perspective a little.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would look at it like this: you are buying it for the Tiffany brand alone. While it is a perfectly nice ring, if you so chose, as others have implied, you likely could have a similar style ring made with an equal or better stone for less money. So in this particular case, you are paying for the name. As others have said, Tiffany is not known for the quality of their stones (in fact, they sell treated stones without obvious disclosure). HTH.

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
I'd love to see pictures of what you found. The Soleste rings are very beautiful, a quality and classic Tiffany signature setting. With the piece you're describing, I'd attribute much of the sellers valuation to the premium Tiffany mounting, and not the aquamarine. Assuming its authentic, and in very good to excellent condition with no issues, it sounds like a fair price although I'd still try to negotiate. If you LOVE it, and feel good about the piece and the credibility of the seller, go for it :)

Anytime I've made a Tiffany colored stone purchase, including just a couple weeks ago, I've received a small guide detailing any and all treatment their colored stones receive. I'm happy to share it if you need it.

Good luck and please do share photos if you take the plunge.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RandG|1417803552|3795844 said:
I'd love to see pictures of what you found. The Soleste rings are very beautiful, a quality and classic Tiffany signature setting. With the piece you're describing, I'd attribute much of the sellers valuation to the premium Tiffany mounting, and not the aquamarine. Assuming its authentic, and in very good to excellent condition with no issues, it sounds like a fair price although I'd still try to negotiate. If you LOVE it, and feel good about the piece and the credibility of the seller, go for it :)

Anytime I've made a Tiffany colored stone purchase, including just a couple weeks ago, I've received a small guide detailing any and all treatment their colored stones receive. I'm happy to share it if you need it.

Good luck and please do share photos if you take the plunge.

+1.

Although Oakgem does not specify the size of the aqua, here is an Estate Tiffany Legacy :

http://www.oakgem.com/Products/Tiffany_(and)_Co._Legacy_Aquamarine_Diamond_Platinum_Ring_13520.aspx

cheers--Sharon

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Use caution re paying for Tiffany pieces if you are unfamiliar with the seller. EBay, for instance, is loaded with Tiffany fakes. I wouldn't buy anything on eBay that claimed to be Tiff, no matter how good it looked.

Otherwise, I agree completely with other comments -- if you're sure it's genuine & the Tiffany brand means most to you about the piece, then it's probably not a bad price. But you can have a ring like it with stones you choose yourself for less cost. Either way, I hope you get just the thing that makes you smile!

--- Laurie

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1417784084|3795659 said:
I've seen some Tiffany coloured stones that are nice and some that are not so nice. Some are well cut and some have gaping bay doors. For the most part, their coloured stones are grossly overpriced but when one buys Tiffany, it is for the name. Workmanship on their jewellery seems to be less consistent than in the past.
+1 The cut and color saturation vary more widely than what I once expected Tiffany would deliver.
One concern I have for you, bliss_cathy, that's not yet been specifically raised is how abraded is the aquamarine in the pre-loved ring you are considering? (The aqua Legacy which OakGem has in its inventory looks pretty "shop worn" to me, altho' maybe the pics are simply not of the greatest quality.)

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the comments :) sorry for taking so long to reply, I was waiting to see whether he would accept my offer.

He has accepted it! Which I'm really excited about.

I have to make a decision now. The ring comes with the valuation and documents from when he purchased the item and it is all in his name.

He is willing to take it to the Tiffany store he purchased it from and have the ring re valued to current market rates and also put it in my name for $100.

It may take up to 21 days to do that though, and I was hoping to get it before Xmas. The store did say he could try and get it done faster which I have asked for.

However I do know aquamarines are softer, and the double halo and pave on the shank is made up of about 56 diamonds so it may be worth it to get the documents in my name.

I can't decide whether I should just get the ring earlier and just have the older documentation in his name, or take the time and spend the money to get it re issued in my own name?

Any thoughts on this? Is it worth the time and money to get the ring put into my name? I've also attached a picture of the ring.

_25162.jpg

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
I'm so glad you took a chance on it!

If it were me, I would go through the process of having it re-registered. This way, should any issues arise, you essentially stand in the shoes of the buyer, with all the benefits. On the secondary market, that's rare.

Good luck with everything, congrats and enjoy!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RandG|1418349156|3799790 said:
I'm so glad you took a chance on it!

If it were me, I would go through the process of having it re-registered. This way, should any issues arise, you essentially stand in the shoes of the buyer, with all the benefits. On the secondary market, that's rare.

Good luck with everything, congrats and enjoy!

This!! +1 absolutely! And congrats!!!!

cheers--Sharon

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock
Thanks RandG and Canuk Girl.

We are trying to figure out if the ring needs to be sent away, he's hoping he can just make a request for an updated valuation with my name on it without having to go through the process of sending it away. He's waiting to hear from a supervisor.

It's ironic, I first saw this ring on pricescope, show me the bling and really loved it.
I really love the Soleste. :love:

I hope there's some dark aqua in the centre stone. But it's still such a pretty ring :appl:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RandG|1418349156|3799790 said:
If it were me, I would go through the process of having it re-registered. This way, should any issues arise, you essentially stand in the shoes of the buyer, with all the benefits.

Another who agrees with the above. Looking at the picture though, the aqua looks light given that it is photographed against a black background.

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
That's awesome! The Soleste is one of my favorite Tiffany designs too.

You did a great job vetting the item and working from a place of yes. Very happy for you. Please post pictures when it arrives :)

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock
I just saw the 0.7ct at Tiffany and it was huge! The 1.46ct is going to be massive with the double halo!!

The 0.7 in the shop wasn't a dark aqua and it still looked really pretty. My gosh, the diamonds against the blue are very striking.

Love the combination!

Thanks RandG for you positivity :) and Chrono, thanks for the feedback re the stone, I still think it will be very pretty :)

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad this is working out for you! It's such a pretty design.

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock
I think there's a problem, I received the ring today, but it looks like there was damage that was t disclosed. Does anyone have any idea how difficult it would be to repair this?

_25225.jpg

_25226.jpg

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
^ you'd have to check with Tiffany - for me, I'd probably return it unless the vendor was willing to pay for repair by Tiffany.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

How disappointing. Have you taken it to Tiffany?

cheers--Sharon

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock
I will do today

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
Bliss: I'm sorry its not perfect :(. Did you go through the trouble of putting it in your name? It shouldn't be a problem to correct it but its much easier if you're the registered owner.

It might be the seller had no idea there was an integrity issue with the mount. But it would concern me from the standpoint that it was worn hard, maybe hard enough that there could be other issues you're not seeing. If bought at a really excellent price, and you LOVE it, its worth it to invest in fixing it. But if you're on the fence at all, don't feel compelled to make it work. There are always other opportunities.

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock
Hi RandG,

At this stage it's still in his name, we were still figuring out the details of transferring the name. I thought I wanted it before Xmas, so we thought we could sort out the logistics of name change later.

However now, I think if it needs to be sent away to be repaired it makes sense to do it all at once, re valuation and repair and name change. Which can take a month!

What a mess though.

I think you are correct, he's male, and I don't think he would have noticed that at all. The rest of the ring is perfect but I have eagle eyes and noticed that straight away.

I was going to go to Tiffany today in the city but I live in Sydney and there's a hostage situation going on in the city!

Will keep you posted.

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
My goodness-- stay safe! And good luck. I hope it works out for you.

Sidebar... love Sydney! Love Chat Thai especially :)

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock
Omigosh the hostage situation is terrible! They have 40-50 people in a cafe at gun point, forcing them to hold a sign up.

It's a terrorist act :blackeye:

I really really really hope no one gets hurt. This is really scary for Sydney.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Eek stay safe! It's been on the news all day in Melb too, fingers crossed it's resolved soon and there are no repeat incidences!

PS your ring is gorgeous, I'm sure Tiffanys will be able to fix it!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hope the PS Aussies are safe!

As for the ring, I would not purchase it until Tiffany says it is fixable. My concern is that the strength of the support structure might be compromised.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results