shape
carat
color
clarity

Colour diamond?

Agar40

Rough_Rock
I appreciate in advance any reply concerning my inquiry and I'm grateful for the privilege to be able to ask the experts in here for help. I have this stone in my collection that I unmounted from its original setting and its image is under the topic on a table down position. It contains dark sulfide inclusion and graining lines, etc. In addition. it has cross-hatched “tatami”strain pattern in the inside. I was told it's a natural color. Can anyone help to confirm that? Thanks! 4_79.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I doubt it is a real fully-natural Fancy Colored Diamond, FCD.
I've never seen any diamond with a girdle with convex sides.
That sounds challenging to polish and would waste rough/weight.

FCDs are ultra-expensive so they shouldn't be bought based on the word of the seller.
FCDs should be accompanied by a grading report from a reputable gem lab, preferably GIA.
If it was inexpensive there is NO way it is fully natural.

BTW two things can be natural, or not - the material and the color.
If the stone was mined from the earth, the material is natural.
When they are grown in a lab the material is of course not natural.
But, even if it was mined from the earth the color itself may be the result of treatments in a lab.
Alternately, it may have come out of the earth that color.

IMO, sellers should not call FCDs natural unless the origin of both material and color are nature.
Unfortunately many sellers of diamonds with natural material and treated color call them, "natural". :nono: :nono: :nono:

GIA is the gold-standard lab for determining the origin of the material and the color.
Without a GIA report I'd never pay much for an FCD someone claimed was "natural".

Can you post some pics of it on a white surface, face up?
How big is it?
What did you pay, and where did you buy it?
Was the setting you removed it from platinum or gold?
If not it is almost certainly not a real diamond.

diamondenvy1

Rough_Rock
Trade
If it has inclusions, it is likely a natural stone, as synthetics are flawless. The picture makes it hard to tell if it is a diamond though. I have to agree with Kenny on this one and say that it would be highly unlikely that someone cut a FCD that shape.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Kenny laid it out well. Very unlikely that it is a diamond. I only say 'unlikely' because anything is possible. I suppose.

Glass can have strain patterns like you describe. Not sure what a sulfide inclusion is. I'm pretty sure I have never heard of one being associated with a diamond. Synthetics and imitations can have inclusions. Glass typically has gas bubbles. Other synthetics can have any number of internal characteristics.

Find a local gemologist that will look at it for you and give you a no cost or low cost opinion. I used to do free identification all the time when I was in the colored stone business. It helped me hone my skills and was good PR. If he thinks it has promise you can then send it to GIA for a definitive ID.

Agar40

Rough_Rock
The stone is on a platinum setting with old emeralds that are dry and needs treatment. The stone is of a good size. See the pictures.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
IMO - no way that's a diamond

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Look carefully at the facet junctions. If they are rounded or badly abraded, that would indicate a material much softer than diamond.

Cool looking stone. Seems to have a color change going on in.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I based my answer on the way the stone looks in the photos.
BUT- the good news is that this is an easy question to answer- pretty much all pawn shops and jewelry stores have diamond testers.

Agar40

Rough_Rock
I found two of GIA's articles that describe and give examples that are consistent with the inclusions inside my stone. I also read on Wikipedia the following information: "Fingerprint inclusions in the shape of fingerprints can sometimes be found in diamonds. However such inclusions are rare in diamonds as compared to other stones like rubies. Such inclusions are usually formed during fluid assisted partial healing of fractures already present in stones. For this to take place in diamonds, high temperatures and pressure (HTHP) are required, which is unusual. TILL NOW FEW INCLUSIONS HAVE BEEN REPORTED IN NATURAL BLUE DIAMOND AND COLORLESS DIAMONDS. While this could indicate that diamonds have been HTHP treated, giving the required temperatures for fingerprint inclusions, such is not always the case. The earth may also cause geologically high temperatures, leading to the formation of fingerprint inclusions."

*My stone also has fingerprint inclusions.

*According to the GIA, sulfide, blue color graining, whitish graining and cross-hatched “tatami” strain pattern were discovered inside natural blue diamonds. My stone has all of these inclusions inside. Inside the stone is a phenomenon.
I went and did research on the stone after I learned it cloud be a natural color diamond. Upon my research, I can conclude that there is great possibility that it could be a natural color. Also, it has the RF of a diamond. The stone will go to a lab in Europe for more evaluation. I wanted more opinions on the stone, so I posted on the diamond forum. By the way, I do appreciate all the replies.
Thanks again.

Also, I removed the images because I was told to post them on the colored stones forum instead . However, I attached another image that shows some inclusions.

a12.jpg

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If this stone is a natural diamond then I'll eat crow for the rest of my life... :lickout:

Agar40

Rough_Rock
Just a comparison...
a13.jpg

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondenvy1|1418677020|3801684 said:
If it has inclusions, it is likely a natural stone, as synthetics are flawless. The picture makes it hard to tell if it is a diamond though. I have to agree with Kenny on this one and say that it would be highly unlikely that someone cut a FCD that shape.

Not true, I have a Chatham Synthetic Blue and it has inclusions.

diamondenvy1

Rough_Rock
Trade
cflutist|1418693592|3801850 said:

I was referring to gem and diamond alternatives, fakes, if you will - not lab grown or "created" gems and diamonds.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
cflutist|1418693592|3801850 said:

Agree! Many have metall ( magnetic) inclusion - a magnet could be used for quick examination - natural diamond is not magnetic.

Agar40

Rough_Rock
It is not magnetic at all.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results