shape
carat
color
clarity

Approx 1940s vintage rose gold ring

Alexxxx

Rough_Rock
Trade
This isn't a fancy ring, but it's pretty and special to me - so I thought I'd share. :bigsmile: This is a 2.5 (ish) carat iolite ring in rose gold that I got from my grama back when we lived in the USSR. (Insert Beatles joke here). My mom had it for a long time in her jewelry box but she gave it to me recently. It still needs to go to a jeweler to get the prongs fixed and be sized, but I just had to take some fun pictures. And who doesn't like fun pictures!? I wouldn't imagine myself buying a blue stone in rose gold, but I appreciate this ring because it has meaning. Also it is SO dirty! I''m sorry for the macro shots of dirt from before Putin was in power. I actually did wash it, but it needs a professional cleaning.

It also doesn't window like crazy on my hand, which is an added bonus. I'll scrounge up some hand shots tonight.

image_2676.jpg

image_2675.jpg

image_2677.jpg

image_2678.jpg

image_2679.jpg

image_2680.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's a beautiful ring; you don't see rings in this design or made like this anymore. The iolite looks pretty too. Lots of caution when it comes to cleaning:

1. Do NOT allow the jeweller to put it in an ultrasonic or steamer. You may not have an unblemished stone anymore if you do. If it needs major cleaning, soak it overnight in warm soapy water and give it a good scrub with a soft baby toothbrush. If the crud is anything like the jewellery I inherited, you may have to repeat this for several days before the pre-Putin junk is totally removed.

2. I, for one, love the patina in old gold jewellery and I still curse my jeweller inside my head for removing the patina. He thought he was doing me a favour by polishing it after fixing a crack in the metal and I hate the new shiny look of the metal. It doesn't go well with the antique design and I love how soft and truly antique it looks with the patina.

More pictures please!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful and charming ring :love:
I second Chrono's remark for more pics.

Enjoy wearing this unique piece

S

SparkliesLuver

I love rings with a history like yours! And sentimental value to boot! :love: I find it very enchanting and pretty. Please, please share more pictures when you can. :appl:

Alexxxx

Rough_Rock
Trade
Chrono, that is incredibly helpful, thank you! I knew none of that information.
Acinom and SL, thank you guys, I have a few measily hand shots to post haha.

Alexxxx

Rough_Rock
Trade
So the color saturation is much nicer when I wear it, the pics are in slightly different lighting too. Diff times of the day, diff cameras. One of them kept loading sideways from my computer to PS, I tried a couple of times then gave up :confused:

image_2724.jpg

image_2726.jpg

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful vintage ring!!!!

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
I love the geometric look of the setting! The step cut stone complements it so well!

Chrono -- I was thinking more about the patina issue you have. I don't know if it will work on gold, but to avoid the chemicals in liver of sulfur (used for antiquing silver) I have put sterling or brass wire or jewelry pieces into a sealed container with chunks of hard boiled eggs, then surface polish to give it an antiqued patina. Just a thought, and seems pretty gentle.

Alexxxx

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thank you Arkieb, Twinke, and Enbcfsobe! I just realized this prob could/should have gone in the antique/vintage forum, wooooops. Thanks for humoring me haha :twirl:

I might make an engraved band to go with this ring, I've been really in the mood for more YG, RG lately.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty!

Michelez

Shiny_Rock
You know I love this ring!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember someone on here was not happy when a jeweller polished her southwestern silver antique bracelet and the late rockdoc told her to seal the ring in a polythene bag and to place elastic bands in with it and this would cause the silver to tarnish again. Don't know if it works with gold.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the setting - never seen anything quite like that before. The stone is soooo pretty too.

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am a big fan of Iolite - I just love the colour. Your ring is superb and so very special to have a piece handed down through the family. Enjoy.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the color. Beautiful ring! Please post more pics...and enjoy in health and happiness!

Alexxxx

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thank you so much everyone, I'd be happy to take more pictures. Macro shots or handshots? I'm always happy to take more pictures haha, there is something really fun about bling pics.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results