shape
carat
color
clarity

My Blue Nile sig. ideal cushion just arrived

crownbrick

Rough_Rock
I have to say, I'm impressed with their service. I ordered it yesterday, late afternoon and it arrived less than 24 hours later. Their packaging was excellent, as is all the information included. I expected it to be loose in a box with some cotton, but they included a ring box and a temporary mount.

The diamond is a .89ct signature ideal, H, SI1. I can't spot the inclusions by eye, though my sight isn't great. Unfortunately, the GIA report didn't include a clarity plot.

5.60x5.60x3.92mm
57% Table
70.1% depth

Blue Nile also has the diamond graded by GCAL, for what that's worth. It's not a perfect H&A stone, but looks pretty good in the document.

When I first opened the package, I was really concerned - the diamond looked milky. Then I remembered that it had been outside all day in a freezing truck, and it had just fogged over :oops:

Once it warmed up, I started checking it out in a variety of light. It's a really overcast day outside, so I took some pictures on the windowsill. I compared it next to the only other diamond I have, which is my grandmother's 1.83ct M VVS1.

I tried to take some pictures in my kitchen under LED lights where it was really performing, but my camera couldn't focus on it :(

Thoughts? Opinions? I don't have an ASET image for it unfortunately. I have 30 days to decide if I want to keep it - hopefully I'll get a sunny day soon to see how it looks in indirect sunlight. I think I'll also take it into Birk's and compare it next to the Amorique ring that my girlfriend liked.

_24908.jpg

_24909.jpg

_24910.jpg

Attachments

• 233090043.pdf
    356.2 KB · Views: 33

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, the pics are not good enough to say anything. Hopefully you get some sunshine and get to see it dance.

crownbrick

Rough_Rock
You're right - something happened when I transferred the pictures and they shrunk significantly. Hopefully these three work better - I'm not going to win any photography competitions! Seems that my new Z3C doesn't like doing macro shots. But hey, it's a phone not a DSLR... :D

I had a hard time getting the camera to capture the arrows, but they are there!

_24915.jpg

_24916.jpg

_24917.jpg

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
It's very pretty, what's the plan for the setting?

crownbrick

Rough_Rock
A simple solitaire setting - she liked the Birk's Amorique slim band (tiny fingers), so I'm going to have a copy made. The picture is of a 0.7ct G VS1 that they listed for $8926CAD... However, they'll make the setting for $2k, and this stone was $4100.

_24918.jpg

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
It looks like a very pretty stone. But you'll be able to tell more when you to see how it performs.

I will say this though, you did an incredible job capturing the color difference between the H and M. Would you mind if I saved one pic for reference?

crownbrick

Rough_Rock
elle_chris|1417812262|3795970 said:
It looks like a very pretty stone. But you'll be able to tell more when you to see how it performs.

I will say this though, you did an incredible job capturing the color difference between the H and M. Would you mind if I saved one pic for reference?

Go for it :)

I tried taking pictures under the kitchen LED lights again, but the phone just won't focus... it's a pity. It sparkles nicely and constantly - no dead areas. I was expecting a little more from the centre of the stone, but perhaps that's because it's a bit on the deep side at 70.1%. Also all the GOG videos on youtube are of much, much bigger rocks! Still, so far I'm happy with it. If I don't find something better in the next few weeks, I'll drop it off to get the setting made.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It seems hazy in that first (new set) picture. Is it a cloud inclusion, or is it dirty, or is it reflecting something?

crownbrick

Rough_Rock
A cloud is listed as an inclusion, but that's a reflection of roofline from outside. I'll try again tomorrow from a different window :) Well spotted!

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
I think the BGD Truth collection has some settings quite similar to your inspiration stone http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/truth-collection/

Maybe the original Truth or the Melanie? I think they have a setting fee for outside stones, but you should check them out. Speaking from experience, a custom from scratch can be expensive.

The Stuller solstice 4 prong could also be a nice alternative
Higher head - http://www.stellarjewelry.com/prodd...-Bombe-Shank-Solstice-Solitaire-|-Ref.-346548
Lower head - http://www.stellarjewelry.com/prodd...tice-Solitaire-with-Bombe-Shank-|-Ref.-859807

Any local jeweler should be able to order this in the metal of your choice.

or Whiteflash's legato sleek line: http://www.whiteflash.com/engagemen...-sleek-line-solitaire-engagement-ring-728.htm

crownbrick

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll check them out :)

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
I love the settings that you are looking at and the stone looks great!

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
I also wanted to add that Hopedream's setting suggestions are spot on!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I can't tell if it is hazy or not but I love the facet pattern and how the diamond looks. I wish I picked one of these up last year when the price was much lower.

crownbrick

Rough_Rock
I managed to take some better pictures with an old camera, but I'm having a hard time determining if the marks I see are inclusions or dirt/fingerprints. I wiped the top as best I could, but I don't know if Blue Nile would have cleaned it before putting it in the tension setting for shipping. The second picture is using a flashlight to highlight the crystal that was on the lower right in the top picture.

Interestingly, the only one I can now see by eye is the inclusion in the top left. It's probably a bit too far in to be covered by a prong, isn't it? The rest of the stone looks clear to my eye, even though it looks a little hazy under the table. Then again, this is a whole new experience for me!

Guess I need to decide if I should return it or not. Unfortunately, none of these were visible in either the GIA or GCAL reports (GCAL report attached in my first post).

img_6204.jpg

img_6205.jpg

_24934.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Can you post the GIA report? Some photos it does look hazy.

Is there another cushion from BN that you can trade for?

crownbrick

Rough_Rock
Here's the report - as I said, it unfortunately doesn't have a plot.

There are several others on BN - I had previously looked at LD03804792 and LD04109794, but neither were cut as well as the one I bought, based on the GCAL report. Both are .87 H VS1. I also considered LD04192440 had a lot of odd speckles in the GCAL report, and though it's graded VS2. After that it starts to really leave my price range :(

Attachments

• 5166157766.pdf
    290.8 KB · Views: 59

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I am not sure how you are determining if one signature ideal is better cut than another. How are you drawing this conclusion?

I wanted to see the GIA cert to see if there is fluorescence .. there is none but sometimes GIA is wrong.

crownbrick

Rough_Rock
If you look at the GCAL reports for both, they have H&A diagrams in the bottom right corner - on one of them it had large white blotches which I assumed to be additional light leakage, the others weren't quite as symmetrical. Am I reading the reports incorrectly?

crownbrick

Rough_Rock
I just wanted to thank everyone for their input - this place is great!

I took the diamond out of the holder and cleaned it - the marks that I thought were inclusions near the prongs have disappeared :D Must have been some fuzz. I tried to get better pictures but my ancient Canon point-and-shoot just won't focus properly on the stone. I also had several friends with better eyesight than me scrutinize it, and none of them could view any problems.

That said, I have an ASET on the way, and once it's here I'll try to get some pictures through that. Maybe the camera will cooperate! :wall: If it works, I'll put the pictures up here :)

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It still looks hazy in the latest set of pictures, but it is also obviously dirty in the latest set.

Compare it to your grandmother's stone in direct sunlight.

crownbrick

Rough_Rock
I received my ASET scope the other day and tried to take a picture of the stone through it. The top arrow looks different from the others in the pictures, but I think I had tilted the camera slightly. It looks equal colour to the eye. Thought some of you may be curious to see!

I decided to keep the stone - the apparent haziness that is seen in the pictures is not viewable by eye. I had several other people look and they couldn't see it either. I have to chalk it up to the ancient camera I was using. I know she'll be happy with it :)

_25748.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Congrats!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results