carat
color
clarity

African Jewelry, & Other Whimsical Things

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Now that I'm staying in a lot once more looking after my relatives, I've been web-surfing like crazy, all of it jewelry. I have discovered some really unusual items, so thought I'd share them here.

I googled starfish jewelry because I like the shape but don't want Tiffany, and I discovered an African jeweler from Zimbabwe whose items are made in Africa and Mauritius, and the website ships worldwide complimentary from London UK, with prices in euros, pounds, and US dollars at the bottom of the page.

I googled and apparently the jeweler is a famous sculptor who makes silver sculptures inspired by the African creatures in his home of Zimbabwe where he still lives, and he often uses a technique called lost-wax carving - I think it means the molds are only used once. There's more info on his website; I only skimmed it. Anyway, his pieces are apparently very intricately carved, and I read that this is the defining thing about his jewelry and sculptures. There are some really cute elephant pieces. They start from approx $70 - $80, so not too much, but the gold is way more expensive.

I love this cute "running elephant" pendant, $196.00 http://www.patrickmavros.com/products/zozo-pair-necklace/
When you look at it on the website, you can zoom in and see the great details on the elephant.

If you use the zoom, you can see that the top elephant's back foot is in mid-step. It's so cute!

205-212_zozo-dangle-necklace_main-500x500.jpg

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am loving this long seahorse necklace on a 24-inch chain, with his tsavorite garnet eye, $392: http://www.patrickmavros.com/products/seahorselong/

I can't pull the larger images from the website as they're zoomable, so I apologize but you'll have to click on the link for better detail.

long-seahorse-pendant-square-500x500.jpg

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think we have a username here of seaurchin - Sea Urchin? I really hope she sees this thread because the Mauritius branch of this African jeweler has a whole range of sea urchin jewelry which is just really lovely:

img_6333.jpg

img_6337.jpg

img_6338.jpg

img_6463.jpg

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE this sea urchin ring with the gold starfish clamped on the side. I can't decide if I like the blue or the green best.

It also comes with pink coral, pearl and diamond in the center. Approx $550 US dollars, and more inexpensive versions with the starfish and stone surround in silver.

seaurchinstarfishringwithgoldinbluetopaz-500x500.jpg

seaurchinstarfishringwithgoldinchrysoprase-500x500.jpg

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And matching sea urchin earrings for seaurchin, if she sees this: Priced from $94 - $298 for various sizes and stones, including the miniature ones in the last image.

seaurchinstudearringswithgoldinpearl-500x500.jpg

seaurchinpetitestudearringsinbluetopaz-500x500.jpg

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Carpe Diem planet necklace from Monica Rich Kosann, $585.

ch-41093__98185_6_003.jpg

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For more planet jewelry, check out these pearl planet earrings from Blue Nile, with their cute diamond dust-rings. $380.

51282_main.jpg

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And last but not least, the ultimate whimsical pendant, out of my budget for now, and out of my physical reach, too. I bought a pair of amethyst earrings at Neiman Marcus a while ago, and they were by a designer called Kiki. I googled it and it's a New Zealand designer which only sells through Neiman here. Sadly, Neiman doesn't have this bee pendant that I found on the designer's website, which is probably a good thing considering it's almost 2k in US dollars. Like the African jeweler, she sells her jewelry from London UK, it seems.

http://kiki.co.uk/index.php/necklaces/eve-large-single-citrine-bee-necklace.html/

Isn't it beautiful? I think it's nicer than the Tiffany bees. I got as far as putting it in my basket on the Kiki website and it does take 20% off when you choose "USA." Still too much for me, though! Maybe for my fiftieth??

Anyway, that's the extent of my new discoveries. Hope you enjoyed them.

I'll try to get around to posting my amethyst Kiki earrings from Neiman's at some point. Here's a link though: http://kiki.co.uk/index.php/earrings/kiki-classic-amethyst-pear-drop-earrings.html/ They were available at the Neiman store but not on the Neiman website - only in citrine and topaz there: http://www.neimanmarcus.com/search.jsp?N=0&Ntt=Kiki+McDonough&_requestid=63348

2014-81.jpg

am_yellow_gold_-web_1.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
loving the sea urchin with pearl pieces!
and those Blue Nile earrings with a diamond ring!

good to see you've got time for eye candy once again!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1418514371|3800751 said:
loving the sea urchin with pearl pieces!
and those Blue Nile earrings with a diamond ring!

good to see you've got time for eye candy once again!

Well, I'm not going out anywhere, soooo...!

It would be great if everyone could say what their favorite whimsical pieces are in this thread - not just the stuff I posted but anything on the websites, too. I love the citrine bee but it's a daydream piece. The silver seahorse is affordable - I am just lovin' that little guy! The only thing is, returns would be a complete PITA if the stuff is all stored and shipped in London, if I didn't like it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love it all. :appl: Thanks for sharing this with us Jambalaya.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's OK, Missy! I had looked at so many cute things in the last few days and it seemed such a pity not to share them with others who love jewelry too.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought the cutest elephant pendant from Circe last year. The only pic I can find right now is blurry but here it is. Love whimsical pieces.

luckyelephant.jpg

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That seahorse necklace is just amazing!!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy - that elephant necklace is an absolute stunner! I just love the top you've paired it with - so tasteful and sophisticated! You should have been the model in this shot, taken from the Mavros website, wearing your gold elephant and black top!

ndoro_side_secondary8cf248.jpg

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mochiko42|1418515225|3800763 said:
That seahorse necklace is just amazing!!

Mochiko....are you enabling me? :D

I've gotta say, I love the seahorse because it's so completely different. I think it's quite large, too. Would make quite an impact. Hmmmm :naughty:

OK, I've got to go. Been on the computer for ages. My eyes will start spinning soon. Have a great Saturday!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the seahorse and the bluebell.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the concept of the bluebell earrings. Bluebells seem a perfect shape for drop earrings. But when I looked at the image of them on the model they look really small - too small to be seen, perhaps.

I think if they'd been slightly larger and if they dangled on a French hook/shepherd's wire, as opposed to being on a stiff wire, I would have been very tempted.

I'm still tempted by the seahorse, though. I do like jewelry from nature - silver animals, birds, and flowers.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results