carat
color
clarity

Help Choosing Princess Cut Diamond

Zombie123

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

My First post here :angel:

So its my fifth anniversary and also we are expecting a new baby girl soon :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
I am planning to gift my Wife with a diamond ring.

I looked at these four websites.. Whiteflash,JamesAllen,BryanGavin, Goodoldgold and found these options

I would like to get a Princess cut diamond > 1.8 ( Its is really worth going over 2Ct. I coudn't find my quality diamonds from 1.8 to 1.99 Ct Range )

Ideal Price Range < 15000
Carat >= 1.8
Color >= H
Cut >= Ideal ( Preferably Sig Ideal/Cut Above )
Clarity >= VS1

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-3156835.htm $12800
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/2.01-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-sku-382002 $17200
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/2.19-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-sku-367817 $16270
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/2.08-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-sku-41733 $18960

Are there any other reliable sites which I can look into .
Any Help here will be greatly appreciated ;))

Also I live near NYC so I was planning to make a Trip to Local shops in NYC ( But It seems most of them are costlier than online merchants). I have relatives in India so I can check there as well ( Seems certified diamonds might be cheaper there :confused: )

LADiamondHunting

Rough_Rock
If you are near NYC go to Good Old Gold - on Long Island. I would call ahead and let them know your parameters - they will be able to show you a lot of different options. My vote would be to request to look at (i) AGS0 certified princess, and (ii) one or more GIA certified stones that meet the AGS0/GOG signature light performance. This will give you a good idea about the different princess options available and GOG can and will find what you are looking for. Jon (diamonds) is wonderful as are David (diamonds), Irene (settings) and Marie (settings). Haven't talked to any non-wonderful folks there.

After you view in person, search whiteflash ACA's and BGD signature for your parameters as well. Post or make your decision. Can't go wrong on any of these tracks.

Zombie123

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your reply.

Now I am searching for AGS0 diamonds on all sites/ also using pricescope search. When I have more links I will post them here.
GOG is almost 2 Hrs drive I am not sure I would be able to visit them. Though Thanks for the tip. My Wife is okay with getting something less than 2 carat but not lesser than 1.8 :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Zombie123

Rough_Rock
Can anyone give feedback on this diamond

asset.jpg
thumbnail_10.jpg

Carat 1.815
Color H
Clarity VS2
Cut Ideal ( A Cut above )

http://www.agslab.com/pdf_sync_reports/104071001005-PGR.PDF

I talked to WF associate and they said it was eye clean.
" I reviewed the diamond, and it is indeed eye clean and faces up very bright."

I am almost ready to get this one. Though my wife may want to go for a higher carat! Any Feedback

Zombie123

Rough_Rock
anyone can help.. Thanks

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock
Can Brian provide an actual image of that stone?

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Well, I would get this 2c G VS2...Look at that Megascope and ASET! GOG is in NY also.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/2-03ct-g-vs2-superior-ideal-princess-cut-ideal-light-performance.html

But this one is lovely and closer to your budget ...not sure how eye clean it will be though, you should get the ASET
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/2.19-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-sku-367817

I would definitely hit the 2c mark with your budget though.

The BG 2c I looks really nice too. You have a lot of very nice 2c stones to choose from.

Zombie123

Rough_Rock
Thanks Ariel for your help.

GOG is two hours drive from my place so I am not sure I can go there more than once.
The one you linked from James Allen has lot of cloud and its visible in the picture so I didnt choose that.

I have a few blocked from James Allen and waiting for thier asset images and one of them is true hearts > 2Ct Once I get Asset Images I will post here.

Again thanks a lot for your help. I am aiming at 2ct lets see

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both the BGD and the ACA are nice stones (AGS000). Would your wife value size over color? If so, go with the 2 carat I. If not,
go for the 1.8.

smelvinwrong

Rough_Rock
How do you determine a good princess cut over another? What kind of metrics do you use to qualify an excellent one?

With round shape it's much easier to determine with precise angle parameters and the HCA.

Zombie123

Rough_Rock
Frankly Size Matters :naughty: most women say it doesn't but it does

But my wife is more like a "best value" kind of person. :bigsmile:
In the best case scenario we would like to order both rings/ wear them and compare but That doesn't seem possible.
3K wont break my wallet so I am fine with either of them.

After seeing few charts like this one it doesn't seem http://www.pinterest.com/pin/219057969351034389/ there will be a big difference between 1.8 and 2 Carat diamond so we would like to go for "Whiter" diamond. I see 2CT as more of a mental block. It feels nice to say I got my wife a 2Ct Diamond rather than 1.8Ct :sun:

As a last step we are planning to go to Diamond District and visit a couple of Shops to see "similar" diamonds. We plan to arm ourselves with these prices and information and see what they have to offer. Hopefully these diamonds are still available :think:

Any Suggestions ??

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zombie123|1418141740|3798254 said:
Frankly Size Matters :naughty: most women say it doesn't but it does

Is the difference of 0.3 mm worth $3K to you?

Zombie123

Rough_Rock
its not so much about the size difference... but i want a stone that is a better value for the money... and also a better stone... in terms of light performance n fire
being a layman, i am only so far able to differentiate on the numbers... but what i want is if someone could help me decide which stone performs better....

referencing to the size was in response to one of the posters who suggested hitting the 2ct mark.

thanks!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both are beautiful stones; you can't go wrong with either one. The BGD diamond costs more because it is over the magic 2 ct price jump mark. If you want a 2 ct stone, get the BGD. If you'd rather pocket the $3K, then get the WF which is just a smidge smaller.

LADiamondHunting

Rough_Rock
Please keep in mind, visiting a diamond district I highly doubt you will find a diamond of "similar" quality to an AGS000, Whiteflash ACA, BGD Signature or GOG Premium/Signature Princess. Most diamond districts, jewelry marts, etc. are very heavily focused on price - premium performing diamonds are not sold to "price conscious" consumers (for the most part). You pay more per carat than a similar diamond and often times end up with one that faces up small for its size. However, you end up with a much more beautiful stone.

Unfortunately, unless you can pop down to a store that carries premium stones (unusual), you are likely out of luck for in person visuals.

Zombie123

Rough_Rock
382007aset_0.jpg

Hi This id another option from JA

Carat weight:2.02 Certificate:AGS Color:I Shape: Princess Clarity: VS1 Cut: True HeartsTM

Can anyone comment on this vs WF 2Ct diamond.

Price for WHiteflash is a bit less after discounts

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They have very similar ASETs.

LADiamondHunting

Rough_Rock
I would personally go with the BGD diamond - princess' face up small to begin with, this one is slightly bigger. Also, the ASET looks better - less leakage. To me the price difference is insignificant in this range - maximize size and beauty. Go for the BGD and you won't regret it.

Zombie123

Rough_Rock
Hi Guys,

After doing all this extensive research I ordered

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-3208947.htm#

Thanks for all your help.
Frankly both WhiteFlash/BDG staff have been awesome. After multiple calls/emails we settled on this one. ( Must have chatted/called/emailed 50-60 times lol )
We were going for BDG but Whiteflash offered a much better deal and value. Though 1.8Ct Diamond was our first choice but as someone
bought ( stole ) it before we did we settled for this one. My wife is really excited and we hope it will be really awesome when we see it in person :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Now I am looking for insurance options ( I did get a quote for about 335$ from JM ).. After tweaking few options it comes down to 175$.. Didnt realize I will have to deal with another lifetime cost :wall:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results