shape
carat
color
clarity

Working with DK but feeling a little nervous...?

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
So David sent me my first drawings a couple of weeks ago.

7730.jpg

I asked if the side stones could be raised so they would be visible from the side, and that the channels only go about half way up the head so it would also be visible from the side. I sent him two pictures of my original to show him what I meant.

croped_side_0.jpg

dsc_0077.jpg

He said he would send me an updated drawing this last tuesday. I didn't get anything, but didn't think much of it because I'm sure it's his busy season. I sent him a message today to just check on the drawings, and he responded that he did a wax model this week, but thought the channels should still be a little lowers, so he was doing another one and would send me a pic on Tuesday.

I was under the impression that a wax model would not be done until I had approved the drawings...I'm sure it will be fine and if I'm not happy with the wax model he can make changes, but I'm just wondering if anyone has had this experience, or similar. It just makes me a bit nervous, when I'm already nervous about this process.

Thanks!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't worry. I've had him make a few custom rings for me and feel confident that he will get it exactly how you want it! No matter how many drawings or waxes he has to make, he will make sure you are completely happy!
Sometimes he gets a little ahead of us. I would email him all of my specifications and see what he comes back with next! Good luck!

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for your response! He actually has my original setting with him and a multitude if pictures so I'm sure he can get it, I just wasn't expecting him to wax it without another set if drawings. Thanks for the encouragement. The whole thing just makes me so nervous!

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
I am working with David too right now on a project and I find that he is not much of a talker but a lot of action. He has made a couple of wax models for me and we are still tweaking minute details and getting onto our 3rd wax. He mostly says yes and only no when it can't be done. I would trust him to make the ring that you envisioned, just keep tweaking it till you guys get it right.

Blessed1

Rough_Rock
I have just recently worked with him on a ring for a friend of mine and it came out absolutely perfect!!! He also did my wedding set as well over 3 years ago and I love it!!! Don't worry. He's going to to do everything he can to make you completely happy!!

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this ring style... it's bold and modern.. can't wait to see your final ring...

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
Tekate|1418045668|3797621 said:
I love this ring style... it's bold and modern.. can't wait to see your final ring...

Thanks, Tekate!

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
you'll be fineeeee
you're in good hands.
he doesn't always wait for your approval to do things, sometimes he does things ahead of time just to show you how it'll look because cad can look a lot different than wax.
you can always tweak things and wax model probably gives you a much better idea.
i'm on my 3rd cast and we're still tweaking things lol

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
dawnxcui|1418051007|3797663 said:
you'll be fineeeee
you're in good hands.
he doesn't always wait for your approval to do things, sometimes he does things ahead of time just to show you how it'll look because cad can look a lot different than wax.
you can always tweak things and wax model probably gives you a much better idea.

Thanks Dawn! How is your ring going? I've been anxious to see its progress!

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
ooeemusic|1418051656|3797666 said:
dawnxcui|1418051007|3797663 said:
you'll be fineeeee
you're in good hands.

Thanks Dawn! How is your ring going? I've been anxious to see its progress!
i've learned to be patient with him so my last update was just over a week ago from him. but he said i should see a wax model today (also didn't really send me an updated CAD for it) so i'm excited to see what he whipped up

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone, got an update from David. He decided after he received the 2nd wax model to do a test casting. Pictures below. I'm wondering what you all think of the change in height of the channels. I had asked that they be lowered a bit because in this CAD He sent they appeared to be 3/4 of the way up the head, which just seemed to high to me and like they would hide to much of the stone from the side, but, it seems that in lowering channel wall it lowers the profile of the ring quite a but and like it would make the top of the ring almost even with the side diamonds ones they are set, which doesn't thrill me.
He is going to do another casting and will send me more pictures for approval prior to using my gold.
It's also has edges that are more square then mine, but I really don't mine that. I actully think mine started out that way and was rubbed down by the box store when they would polish and apply rhodium.

Thoughts/suggestions?

20141214_075717_0.jpg

20141214_075732.jpg

20141214_075757.jpg

Alexxxx

Rough_Rock
Trade
He's such a doll to do two and let you pick. I'm thinking you had the one closer to the nail in mind? I say follow your heart!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the one closest to the nail is her original ring.

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
Yea sorry I should have made that more clear. The thinner one , closer to the nail is my original which we are trying to replica with some safety improvements.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This may just be because its an unfinished cast, but it looks like the edges of the shank need to be a bit rounded and it needs to get thinner toward the back of the shank. Other than that seems like you'll be very happy :)

Eta I see you mentioned the squared off shank, sorry. I may bring it up anyways, because he may be planning to polish it down

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock
Niel|1418569153|3800917 said:
This may just be because its an unfinished cast, but it looks like the edges of the shank need to be a bit rounded and it needs to get thinner toward the back of the shank. Other than that seems like you'll be very happy :)

Eta I see you mentioned the squared off shank, sorry. I may bring it up anyways, because he may be planning to polish it down

Thanks, Neil. I responded to him and sent him a picture of my ring from the day I got it where it appears to be somewhere in between the cast and my current original regarding the square edges.

I also asked if there is a way to make the channels a little higher because I'm concerned that there isn't going to be that much of a difference between the top of the side stones once they are set and the top of the channel wall. I would think maybe we could just use a slightly higher head if it still looks like they are going to come up to high?

20141214_075732_0.jpg

1_348.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results