shape
carat
color
clarity

What's the meaning of your PS user name?

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1418265263|3799226 said:
Amber St. Clare|1418258654|3799162 said:
hhmm--I'm almost embarrassed to admit it. My name is the name of a character in a 40s trash novel--"Forever Amber" --the story of a English country girl who sleeps her way thru Restoration London court to become a duchess. I found the book when I was babysitting in high school and it was so very trashy I absolutely loved it. I don't think I did a lick of homework for the week and a half it took me to read it {and I'm a little ashamed to admit it}. The first, but sadly, not only trash novel I've read and loved.

It was made into a terrible {not good/terrible, just terrible} movie starring Linda Darnell. The only saving grace was George Sanders as Charles II, but even he couldn't save that turkey.

That book has really good reviews on Amazon. I just bought it. lol.

Hey, I've heard of that book! It's been on my to-read list for a long time. I really should read it, I love a good trashy novel on occasion. :naughty:

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
My user name is a translation of my first name into Japanese characters, and then back to English. I'm not Japanese, but I spent some time there and a good friend decided on the characters for my name. I suspect I share the same first name of several PSers.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1418182579|3798672 said:
Ugh mine is my name i like strmrdr much much better.
I once on another board changed my named to banned and sat back to watch the fireworks.
It was not a good idea.

Oh no. I wasn't going to participate in this thread. I was just going to read. I had been reading every posting since the beginning of the thread, but yours got me going, Karl!

I had a similar experience on another forum. I had been using the same user name I use here: "A Girl's Best Friend" or "AGBF" for short for years. One night I couldn't sign into the forum due to technical problems under my regular user name, so I made up another identity, which was against the forum rules, but which I had no intention of hiding. I wanted to draw the attention of the moderators and administration to the fact that there was a problem and I couldn't post under my usual identity!

So I made up the identity "MadAsHell" based on the line from the movie, "Network" in which a character says he is, "Mad as hell" and he is "not going to take it anymore". Ay any rate, that name stayed on that forum and accumulated a few posts. When, months later, I got banned by that forum they kept all my postings but put them under the username "MadAsHell".

"A Girl's Best Friend", of course, refers to diamonds being a girl's best friend in the song of that name.

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

hay joe

Shiny_Rock
When my wife and I were dating, when she answered my phone calls I would say "Hey Joe" instead of saying hello and she would say it back to me. (I have listened to Jimi Hendrix quite a bit) She has called me Joe ever since. That was 35 or so years ago.
When we would drive through farm land and see a stack of hay or see a hay truck I would say "Hey" she would say "What?" and I would point and say HAY! We have done that to each other for the last 35 or so years also.
So Hay Joe it is.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hay joe|1418308309|3799415 said:
When my wife and I were dating, when she answered my phone calls I would say "Hey Joe" instead of saying hello and she would say it back to me. (I have listened to Jimi Hendrix quite a bit) She has called me Joe ever since. That was 35 or so years ago.
When we would drive through farm land and see a stack of hay or see a hay truck I would say "Hey" she would say "What?" and I would point and say HAY! We have done that to each other for the last 35 or so years also.
So Hay Joe it is.

I always wondered if your were a Jimi Hendrix joe!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mochiko42|1418269337|3799272 said:
hhmm--I'm almost embarrassed to admit it. My name is the name of a character in a 40s trash novel--"Forever Amber" --the story of a English country girl who sleeps her way thru Restoration London court to become a duchess. I found the book when I was babysitting in high school and it was so very trashy I absolutely loved it. I don't think I did a lick of homework for the week and a half it took me to read it {and I'm a little ashamed to admit it}. The first, but sadly, not only trash novel I've read and loved.

It was made into a terrible {not good/terrible, just terrible} movie starring Linda Darnell. The only saving grace was George Sanders as Charles II, but even he couldn't save that turkey.

Hey, I've heard of that book! It's been on my to-read list for a long time. I really should read it, I love a good trashy novel on occasion. :naughty:

Ohhhh, I have a memory of picking that book up in a store when I was about 15! It intrigued me. I flipped through it and there's some sexy main Johnny Depp-like character, and Amber asks him if she can come to London and says she won't be any trouble. He looks her up and down and drawls something like, "I think you'll be aplenty." I seem to remember the way the scene was written was quite steamy even though nothing "untoward" was happening at that point! Or, not steamy, but held the promise of steam to come!

Amber eyes exist. There was a girl at my high school who had the most unbelievable amber eyes, like tiger eyes. I've never seen eyes like that before or since - they literally looked exactly like citrine. (Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the main character has amber eyes.)

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mochiko42|1418237930|3798992 said:
Jambalaya|1418147151|3798314 said:
It's after the Gipsy Kings' great song Bamboleo. I thought they were saying "Jambalaya". Bit deaf. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mifnMC_Kn1Q

The song goes "bamboleo, bambolayA" so that's where I got confused. The second one sounds more like Jambalaya.

But then, for years I thought that the song "Cry Me A River" was called "Crimea River." I so have aural dyslexia! I never really listened to the song, I'd just heard it referenced, so I just assumed it was about a river in the Crimea.

Crimea River.. someone should write a song about that, in the vein of Blue Danube? :naughty:

Just saw this article about mondegreen (misheard lyrics) pop up in my newsfeed, thought I'd share:

http://www.newyorker.com/science/maria-konnikova/science-misheard-lyrics-mondegreens

"You’re much more likely to mishear “Cry Me a River” as “Crimean River” if you’ve recently been discussing the situation in Ukraine.

mochiko - thanks for posting this! It was a very interesting article. Nice to know I'm not the only one who got that song wrong. In my case, I think I'd been reading about the Crimean War.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock

Ladies--please review it here! I'd love your opinions {and who do you think would make a good Bruce Carleton if the movie were made today?}.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Jambalaya|1418313832|3799454 said:

Ohhhh, I have a memory of picking that book up in a store when I was about 15! It intrigued me. I flipped through it and there's some sexy main Johnny Depp-like character, and Amber asks him if she can come to London and says she won't be any trouble. He looks her up and down and drawls something like, "I think you'll be aplenty." I seem to remember the way the scene was written was quite steamy even though nothing "untoward" was happening at that point! Or, not steamy, but held the promise of steam to come!

Amber eyes exist. There was a girl at my high school who had the most unbelievable amber eyes, like tiger eyes. I've never seen eyes like that before or since - they literally looked exactly like citrine. (Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the main character has amber eyes.)

Yes, Amber had Amber eyes. The sex scenes {and there were plenty}, were suggestive, not direct and explicit. This was the 40s, after all, when married people supposedly slept in separate twin beds!

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
When I was in high school I used to give my friends advice on a number of topics including women (I didn't date until I was 19, so I'm not sure who I thought I was :bigsmile:). I happened to be accurate a certain mount so I gained the nickname Prophet (not sure if I gave it to myself, or if someone else told me it). I also have deja vu A LOT so I felt it was appropriate.

I'm also of Caribbean Descent.

Put them together and you get...

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1418308803|3799418 said:
hay joe|1418308309|3799415 said:
So Hay Joe it is.

I always wondered if your were a Jimi Hendrix joe!

I'm an idiot - meant Jimi Hendrix fan :oops:

Zizzy

Shiny_Rock
"Zizzy" is my family pet name for me. When I was little, I couldn't say "Lindsey" so it came out as Zizzy and my family adopted it.
Sadly there's only my mum to call me Zizzy now. My father died in 1993 at 64 and my brother calls me Drizzle instead, the legacy of his pathological loathing of me as a child!

NTave

Shiny_Rock
Mine was pieces of ex fiances name. Silly now years later, like an old faded tattoo. I've often thought about moving to a new moniker, but I've built years with this name, it's my history. So it stays.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I chose Pyramid because a pyramid is a half of an octahedron which is one of the natural diamond shapes (before the stones are cut) i.e. like a diamond shape in geommetry.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I heard an actress once say her daughter was called Maisie. I thought it was such a pretty name! I wish it was my real name!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Mine was my very first username when I started using the internet, cricket was already taken so I misspelled it so I could use it.

Cricket was a nickname given to me by a friend who used to model with me when we were 5. The nickname stuck
:dance:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha, mine has more meaning than I'm willing to say, but in short it comes from the movie KPAX. Love Kevin Spacey. As Prot, he came from the constellation Lyra. :bigsmile: I choose a completely different username for every site I join.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
No meaning, just liked the name Kaleigh.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
Mine is fairly meaningless. I was looking out the window and was looking at the sky when I picked my user name.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I've used Lady Disdain as my username for ages. It is a reference to my favourite Shakespearean character, Beatrice of Much Ado About Nothing.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I loved that book and movie, I discovered them on a rainy Saturday watching movies :wavey:

My name is AZ for Arizona, where I live now, and Stonie because I love diamonds and colored STONES and one of my fave songwriters was Laura Nyro "Stony End." (I was on the colored stones thread years ago as Stoniegrl.)

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
I'm Italian and in our family grandmothers are called Nonie so I'm NonieMarie.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Lil Misfit|1418168388|3798536 said:
Just a nickname. I like punk rock and have never really fit in with the "in crowd".

Having met the lovely (and gorgeous) Lil Misfit, let me tell you that whatever crowd she is in is the one I want to be in! :wink2:

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mine is initials.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Mine is pretty straight forward. I am an army wife and my favorite number/b day is the 13.

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
Mine was originally used on a Brooklyn real estate forum and refers to my neighborhood and my gender in an alliterative fashion.

TechieTechie

Shiny_Rock
I work in Technology and wanted something gender neutral and easy to remember when I first started perusing BMW forums (since ladies tend to get 'pounced on'). I thought TechieTechie was cute, but gender neutral, and pretty easy to remember.

Who knows???? It's sorta stuck. Lord help me if I ever change careers! :lol:

PS...Stoney, I LOVE Stoney End. I think it's Barbra Streisand's greatest (and most unheralded) songs. She is totally...I am woman, here me roar in this song. I must have sung this song 5,000 times when I was kid....something every 5 year old girl should get drummed into their head :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzJZztwQ0C0

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TechieTechie|1418771939|3802556 said:
I work in Technology and wanted something gender neutral and easy to remember when I first started perusing BMW forums (since ladies tend to get 'pounced on'). I thought TechieTechie was cute, but gender neutral, and pretty easy to remember.

Who knows???? It's sorta stuck. Lord help me if I ever change careers! :lol:

PS...Stoney, I LOVE Stoney End. I think it's Barbra Streisand's greatest (and most unheralded) songs. She is totally...I am woman, here me roar in this song. I must have sung this song 5,000 times when I was kid....something every 5 year old girl should get drummed into their head :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzJZztwQ0C0

Techie2, you have fab taste in music :clap: I also liked "Stoned Soul Picnic!" (5th Dimension.) I played at a benefit concert in Los Angeles and Streisand performed on it and it was a mind blower how talented she is. This was in 1981 so her voice was at full strength.

Candygrl

Brilliant_Rock
My screen name has significant meaning to me. My Grandma who passed away 10 years called me Candy girl. She was soooooo special to me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results