carat
color
clarity

Do Maternity Clothes Need A New Look?

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

When Demi Moore presented her naked pregnant body on the cover of Vanity Fair magazine I was surprised, but surely not in any way offended. I thought it was about time everyone acknowledged that this what the female form looks like pregnant. However, I think this has brought about a new look in maternity wear that I don't like.

I watch All Star Fashion Designers compete for very nice prizes for their designs. The host, who is a female personality, is quite pregnant, and wears clothes that either make me startled. or shaking my head. The woman has gained a lot of weight, which happens, but wears very short dresses that show her protruding belly button right through the knitted dress she chose to wear. I think she looks ridiculous. Do pregnant women now show-off the big belly as much as possible. I don't mean in any way to suggest that pregnancy be hidden, but I think she looks gross.

Any comments on new fashion. I was pregnant twice and wanted to look nice, but what I saw, does not look nice to me.

Annette

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Do pregnant women now show off their belly's as much as possible? No, not that I've noticed. I actually prefer sleek, modern, contemporary maternity clothes over the old, tent-looking, plain stuff. I would rather see a stylish, confident pregnant woman any day and a large belly (or protruding belly button) doesn't bother me. For me, the same fashion rules apply for both pregnant or non-pregnant, so as long as a woman is tastefully dressed, then that's all that matters. I wore stylish clothes, 4" heels, etc. when pregnant - my style didn't change much, but I modified things slightly to accommodate my belly.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
I think what you are seeing in terms of questionable maternity wear is more a reflection of what society is accepting in general clothing trends. My very pregnant friend came to me the other day appalled as she just found out that they make daisy duke maternity shorts. She was given a bunch of maternity clothes from a relative and as they we sorting through them my friend asked her relative if she cut them that short herself, no she she bought them that way. Apparently they we the frayed edge type that were cut so short that the front pockets hang out from under the "hem" in the front and your butt cheeks hang out in the back.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with the others I think that lots of women wear clothing where everything is on show pregnant or not. Most pregnant women I know don't do this so it's on the individual and there is a change in wearing more out there attire being able to shock and startle with fashion generally rather than specifically a pregnant woman thing.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
My work dresses pretty much looked like the attached, but all short sleeved since I run hot. Usually just above the knees and cinched at the sides so the belly doesn't look all stretched out. My weekend attire consisted of cinched tanks and long skirts. No daisy dukes for me! My clothes are fitted, but not tight to the point they're stretched out. Even at 9 months and my belly is huge, most of my clothes can still stretch quite a bit. The cinched sides make the clothes look a lot nicer than loose fitting shirts/dresses. I couldn't wear those huge floppy tent dresses because they looked so sloppy on my short frame.

I saw a woman at my glucose test and I was just shocked at how short her dress was... i can see her underwear!

maternity_dresses_1.jpg

maternity_dresses_2.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear tight tops

Tented blowsy baby doll dresses and tops make me look fat and feel unattractive.

Tight tops point out that I'm actually not overweight, just have a big belly. The rest of me is proportioned just fine.

I like that my belly sticks out, and I like that you can see my belly button popping out.

They are not too tight, and I don't show skin. (Its December in Michigan for god sake!) But I won't apologize for wearing clothes that make me feel good about myself (an f'ing hard thing to do at 7.5 months )and emphasize a lovely part of my body.

I do know exactly who you are talking about thought, and yes her fation choices are terrible. But they were before she was pregnant too.

Remember the Kim k pregnancy train wrecks?

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I wear whatever is comfy. I figure the rest of me is uncomfortable enough, so why torture myself any more. Luckily, my work has a casual dress code that fits nicely with this.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Having never been pregnant feel free to take what I say with a grain of salt however I am sharing my thoughts fwiw.

Wear what makes you feel good. What makes you feel attractive and happy and comfortable. Why do we always feel the need to judge others? Why does it matter what someone else is wearing if it makes them feel good?

Rock it no matter what you are wearing. You are bringing a new life into this world and you deserve to feel good about yourself.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Clothing wise, I think pregnancy presents a dilemma for a lot of women.

For myself, I did not want to spend $$ on a totally new wardrobe(s)--for work and casual. Hence I can understand where women want to wear items, where possible, from their present closet.

I was fortunate that I liked tunics--and that worked for me up until the third trimester and so I repurposed that stuff present in my closet. I purchased a couple of DKNY bodysuits and wore boyfriend jackets over my expanding belly and chest. Worked well for coverage since I preferred that look. And I could pull off the "tent" (they are considerably more tailored than the 50's version) and I wore colorful and printed leggings or capri's with them. And I had a couple of tailored jumpsuits that I wore.

As the for daisy duke shorts--well, just NO. :bigsmile:

cheers--Sharon

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm... maybe I need to see a photo of what you're referring to because I LOVE the trend of pregnant women wearing form fitting clothing. I remember the days of wearing tent shaped clothing for pregnant women. For both of my pregnancies, I looked as though a family of six could easily make camp under one of my shirts. Now that I see pregnant women in more body conscious clothing, I wonder why we ever wore those horrible clothes that hid our bodies. The maternity clothing of today is much more flattering IMO.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
House Cat|1418481575|3800516 said:
Hmmm... maybe I need to see a photo of what you're referring to because I LOVE the trend of pregnant women wearing form fitting clothing. I remember the days of wearing tent shaped clothing for pregnant women. For both of my pregnancies, I looked as though a family of six could easily make camp under one of my shirts. Now that I see pregnant women in more body conscious clothing, I wonder why we ever wore those horrible clothes that hid our bodies. The maternity clothing of today is much more flattering IMO.

I agree. I consider myself to be pretty stylish and that was no different during pregnancy. I wore fitted clothing (I wore my normal designer jeans, just with an extender at the waist to accommodate my belly), my usual 4" Christian Louboutin heels, etc. I loved being pregnant - felt great and looked great. I agree with some of the other comments about wearing what you are comfortable in. For me, I was comfortable dressing how I dressed pre-pregnancy, but some people ditch the trendy clothes, heels, etc. during pregnancy and that's fine too. If a pregnant woman is dressing inappropriately (Daisy Dukes for example), then I would assume that's how she always dresses and that's what she's comfortable in and while I may not agree with her choice of dress, I'm not forced to look - I can choose to look away:)

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I really hate traditional maternity clothes. Most people I know wear leggings with tunics, jeans, tank tops, and lots of dresses that show off the belly. Tight over tent for sure.

I wouldn't normally wear shorty shorts so certainly wouldn't while pregnant, but that's just me. I sort of wish I had the confidence for it.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi.

One week the host of this series wore such an odd outfit, I would say it reminded me of a play acting sex game with your partner. She looked like a pregnant schoolgirl. Yes, each week I look forward to seeing what she is wearing. Last season, the blond, I think she is the senior editor of Marie Claire Magazine?, was pregnant. She looked lovely, all the way to fashion week.

Forte Kitty, you have good taste in all the items I've seen on PS. I have no doubt you have good taste in maternity clothes.

Neil, I am glad someone knows who I am talking about. I actually don't know what the fashion is in maternity wear. Its good to know.

Being judgmental is a more serious offense than commenting on a TV personalities dress. Is there anything that anyone can discuss without fingers being pointed to how judgmental they are. Yes, I will just look away when she comes on TV. Just trying to add some topics.

Annette

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Annette, I just want you to know my comment was not directed at you and I am sorry I did not make that clear in my post. I was just lamenting on how society is so judgmental in general and because I am feeling a bit vulnerable these days so it came out too strongly. Reading it over I feel I was being judgmental (about judgmental people but again not referring to you at all). Talk about ironic lol. Anyway just wanted to clarify and I do enjoy reading your threads. :wavey:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I must admit, I haven't' seen the show/host that you're talking about in this thread, so my comments were just general comments about maternity clothes and not really about anyone in specific:)

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the stylish maternity clothes they have now. Those tent dresses were horrible everyone wore 20 years ago. I remember one of the girls I used to work being so upset because she could not find any cute maternity clothes. Everything also had the Peter Pam collars. I remember her saying everything is so virginal looking which is such a joke. How do they think I got pregnant?

Forte Kitty, The pictures you posted are so cute!

tmot14

Shiny_Rock
I also love the look of snug fitting tops and dresses. I pretty much lived in a black dress like the one Fortekitty posted and paired it with leggings, boots and scarves. Well, I actually bought 4 of the same dress since it was so comfy and rotated them!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results