shape
carat
color
clarity

Negative pearl reaction....has it ever happened to you?

Kay

Ideal_Rock
4Ranch Girl|1417810453|3795940 said:
Pirard|1417807707|3795890 said:
Jealousy is an ugly thing...but fortunate for you, you have a wonderful DH and fantastic pearls! Lose pearls indeed...what did she think you would wear instead...certainly not what she had on!!!

Once an acquaintance came up to me and made a comment about my diamond pendant (it's a 2.25 ct round stone surrounded by smaller diamonds)...she asked "how many BJ's did THAT take?" (yes, she actually said Blow J-bs)...without missing a beat, I said, "go ask your husband."
:appl: :appl: :appl: :love:

That is a fabulous response. :clap:

Lisa C

Rough_Rock
"Bitchflakes", "ask your husband", ROFLMAO!!! Clever women Rule!

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
ennui|1417812839|3795989 said:
Jealousy is an ugly thing...but fortunate for you, you have a wonderful DH and fantastic pearls! Lose pearls indeed...what did she think you would wear instead...certainly not what she had on!!!

Once an acquaintance came up to me and made a comment about my diamond pendant (it's a 2.25 ct round stone surrounded by smaller diamonds)...she asked "how many BJ's did THAT take?" (yes, she actually said Blow J-bs)...without missing a beat, I said, "go ask your husband."

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I'm glad you said that.

I am from NJ, so sometimes it just comes out...this particular person never, ever made me feel welcome and was always challenging things that I said...as if I wasn't good enough to be around in her presence. I didn't even know her husband, but was so furious with what she had said...as if the only way I could get nice jewelry would be to prostitute myself...I suppose my comment didn't dispel that myth, but I will say it was the perfect response because it left her feeling as lousy as she made me feel!

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
cmd2014|1417809629|3795924 said:
Pirard|1417808305|3795898 said:
I am rarely obnoxious, but in this one instance I couldn't resist. Her comment was so rude, especially because the diamond belonged to my mother, and it was shortly after she had passed away. Seriously, though, sometimes people just need to be put in their place.

OH NO SHE DIDN'T!!!

Of course, the most awkward answer might have been the truth.
Indeed, but unfortunately, that was the first thing that popped into my head!! (no pun intended, of course :naughty: )

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
Well said! That was some nasty comment she made. She will think twice before another one comes out of her mouth.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband and I roared with laughter at your snappy comeback, Pirard. Just perfect.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
swingirl|1417817897|3796039 said:

Perfect answer. Dang, wish I could come up with comments like that so quickly!

Me too! I'm so impressed! :appl:

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
We all run into mean people. I had someone say something to me yesterday, but it wasn't until I'd thought about it for a while that it started to hurt. I think that's why we all appreciate Pirard's snappy comeback.

krissy7

Shiny_Rock

Pirard, my husband and I had a great laugh over your story, so thanks for sharing it. Although I have to say it isn't remotely funny that she said this to you, particularly given the sentimentality of your pendant. It is great you were quick-witted enough with what you said to her. I'm guessing this person will never change, but at least she may think twice before making a comment to you again.

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
I can't believe that people are THAT RUDE!

I get a lot of questions about the pearls that I wear - usually because I trot out the 18-20mm fireballs to the supermarket :naughty: But honestly it's more inquisitive - "Where did you get them?" "Are they real?" "They are so pretty!" More in an admiring sense than a bitchy sense.

I have had more snarky comments about my 4ct OEC than any of my pearls. Meh. You can't help rude people, I guess!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow immature bitches indeed! :roll: I've had a few comments about mine, usually along the lines of "Are they real" or "Pearls are very old fashioned" etc and I just say yes they are real and I don't care what people think! Strangely enough I get plenty of compliments from men who seem to appreciate the "classic styling" of them. I wear the to work a lot - an instant way to dress up any outfit.

Pirard: Best comeback comment EVER!!!!! :lol:

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
A newscaster that I watch often has been wearing a double-strand of white pearls and studs. I don't think she's being ironic. The pearls bring attention to her face. Very pretty.

Lisa C

Rough_Rock
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Can I come and live with you for a while??? I'd like to absorb some of your quick-step smarts!

I am from NJ, so sometimes it just comes out...this particular person never, ever made me feel welcome and was always challenging things that I said...as if I wasn't good enough to be around in her presence. I didn't even know her husband, but was so furious with what she had said...as if the only way I could get nice jewelry would be to prostitute myself...I suppose my comment didn't dispel that myth, but I will say it was the perfect response because it left her feeling as lousy as she made me feel![/quote]

Lisa C

Rough_Rock
And cmd2014, that shade of red lipstick looks fabulous on you!

Bailey1856

Shiny_Rock

LOL. I can't believe how trashy she is for suggesting that. Your response is hilarious.

Lisa C

Rough_Rock
Merry Christmas and happy holidays and happy new year coming up!
Yesterday mom, stepdad and I were on the way to stepbrother's in Tampa for Noche Buena, and I tried to explain Ironic Pearls to them. I couldn't do it without reading the posts here (no hardship, believe me ;-)).

They also thought you looked stunning, cmd2014!, and howled with laughter at the quick-witted remarks flying around. So there you have it! We'll be lifting a toast on NewYear'sEve to Ironic Pearls and beautiful, witty women.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's cute that Lisa C's family were supportive about cmd's pearls and the mean women!

I've already replied in this thread but I saw it bumped up and I just want to say, I've bought a ton of items from Pearl Paradise this fall so I'll let you know on this thread if I have any "negative pearl reaction" when I start wearing them!

I can imagine my new lavender double strand and matching 8.5mm studs attracting a few little green eyes....The great thing about pearls is that they can often look so much more expensive than they are. My lavender double strand is a real stunner but was only $408, AAA quality, and the studs were under $100, since I always wait for the 20% sale. (One day soon I'll get round to photographing everything.)

So yes, I'll report any negative pearl reactions right here when I start wearing my PP stuff. Up to now I've been deciding what to keep, and I haven't been able to photograph because the days have been so dark and gray. But the weather's cheered up now, so I'll get round to it.

One question: I've been dying to know how the woman reacted when Pirad said "Go ask your husband." Let's hope she comes back and chimes in with that...I want to know how it ends!

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
I turned around and walked away...I didn't wait for a reaction.

Phanie

Shiny_Rock
Jealousy and rudeness.
What you cannot get, you mar.
I wear my tenth anniversary ring 2.33 OEC dome ring everyday at work. It is huge ( finger coverage is there). Even though, it should not be considered such a boulder ( I am a nurse and work at a top ten hospital with anesthesists and surgeons), my ring gets noticed and sometimes I get snarly remarks even from men!
As, what did you do to get that; oh you like them big ...
My come back is usually in the " you should see what my hubs drives for fun".

akoya

Shiny_Rock
the strands r great but hmmm maybe will it be even more outstanding if u just wear that middle strand since wearing suit? (or r they together as a set?).... the middle one will suit u the most esp when u r not really wearing low cut?

personally i wont wear like this becoz my neck is not long lol and also i wont like my pearls touching one another. ouch!!! i am worried abt them knocking against one another

i'm quite surprised people will pass those remarks on big diamonds n pearls... n even on BJ!?!?! WOW
do they even know that the amt of $ we spend on pearls might be more than a diamond? who will wana lose that kind of $ or love they have for their pearls.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Jealousy. I don't know why some women are like this. You looked awesome. A woman with confidence would have complimented you. They're pearls not a diamond tiara

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Bailey1856|1418428052|3800306 said:

LOL. I can't believe how trashy she is for suggesting that. Your response is hilarious.
So hilarious. What sad jealousy

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Apparently it's a cliché to comment on someone's diamond, “You can’t even see where the Titanic hit it!”
I just heard it for the first time today, and now I'm hoping for an opportunity. :lol:

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aaarg! I am clearly overwearing my pearls, as even friends are starting to take little digs. Was out for dinner last Saturday and while sharing a story, the comment came out "I just can't see you doing that....laugh...you in your pearls". WTF!?! It's not like I wear them for every occasion people! Just with my work suits and when dressed up. But people here definitely seem to think they connote some kind of prim preppyness that is clearly at odds with many of the things I actually enjoy doing (and it's not like I wear jewelry while doing them).

So lately I've been mixing things up a bit with my statement non-pearl necklaces.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
cmd2014|1421506374|3818000 said:
Aaarg! I am clearly overwearing my pearls, as even friends are starting to take little digs. Was out for dinner last Saturday and while sharing a story, the comment came out "I just can't see you doing that....laugh...you in your pearls". WTF!?! It's not like I wear them for every occasion people! Just with my work suits and when dressed up. But people here definitely seem to think they connote some kind of prim preppyness that is clearly at odds with many of the things I actually enjoy doing (and it's not like I wear jewelry while doing them).

So lately I've been mixing things up a bit with my statement non-pearl necklaces.

Now I find myself wondering what it is you enjoy doing that conflicts with pearls. :naughty:

Life is too short to worry about what other people think. If someone says you have spinach in your teeth, that's different. But pearls?

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
cmd2014|1421506374|3818000 said:
But people here definitely seem to think they connote some kind of prim preppyness that is clearly at odds with many of the things I actually enjoy doing (and it's not like I wear jewelry while doing them).

I have been finding the whole psychology of pearls thing interesting. They seem to still be quite deeply associated in our culture with the whole white strand, apron and heels mid-century subjugated housewife kind of thing. And yeah, prim.

I guess we just have to change all that. :devil:

I'm sorry your friends made you feel like you can't wear your amazing pearls as much as you want!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ennui|1421524281|3818121 said:
Now I find myself wondering what it is you enjoy doing that conflicts with pearls. :naughty:

Let's see....ziplining, overseas travel, conducting interviews in the solitary confinement wing of a maximum security prison....yep, all three have provoked some kind of remark about me and my prim little pearls. Like it's hard for people to imagine me doing these things somehow because I like pearls? It's bizarre I tell you! DH says it's because they didn't know me in my grad school days and only see me in my suits in the nice office job now.

But there is definitely a pearls = prim and preppy vibe in these parts of the woods!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
cmd2014|1421534308|3818179 said:
ennui|1421524281|3818121 said:

Let's see....ziplining, overseas travel, conducting interviews in the solitary confinement wing of a maximum security prison....yep, all three have provoked some kind of remark about me and my prim little pearls. Like it's hard for people to imagine me doing these things somehow because I like pearls? It's bizarre I tell you! DH says it's because they didn't know me in my grad school days and only see me in my suits in the nice office job now.

But there is definitely a pearls = prim and preppy vibe in these parts of the woods!

I can see pearls in those different environments (actually when I read it I thought of different pieces)

Ziplining- freshwater pearl and leather lariat
Oversees Traveling - Metallic Freshwater strand
Interviews - (I imagine you writing in a notebook with a killer tahitian ring on that hand you are jotting with)

ah my imagination

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
cmd2014|1421534308|3818179 said:

It pains me to say this, but am I the only one who remembers Kim K.'s photo shoot for Playboy, c. 2007? Draped in ropes and ropes and ropes of pearls? I only saw the "safe for tv" photo, but it wasn't prim and preppy.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh noooooo, cmd! Don't go changing....to try to please them... :D

You should wear your pearls as much as you want, whenever you want, regardless of the comments.

I wonder if it's because they look really, really expensive and the commenters surmise you have money to burn on pearls, and are therefore jealous? All my Pearl Paradise stuff (and Blue Nile pearl earrings) look way more expensive than they were, since PP is such good value.

Just trying to think of a rational explanation for the condescending comments.

I say wear your pearls and be damned!

I would wear them MORE. I'd buy BIGGER ones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results