shape
carat
color
clarity

HAS POLICE TRAINING CAUSED VIOENCE

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
packrat, please take my advice and stop reading/replying to threads like these. You can't fix ignorance and you'll just want to bash your head against a wall trying! (This was actually my DH's advice when I was previously getting worked up about all of this, and it surprised me because he's usually way more confrontational than I am, but following it has made my life much more pleasant since this debacle began.)

Take note of the ignorance/disrespect/misinformation, file it away, and move on.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
star sparkle|1418161063|3798467 said:
packrat, please take my advice and stop reading/replying to threads like these. You can't fix ignorance and you'll just want to bash your head against a wall trying! (This was actually my DH's advice when I was previously getting worked up about all of this, and it surprised me because he's usually way more confrontational than I am, but following it has made my life much more pleasant since this debacle began.)

Take note of the ignorance/disrespect/misinformation, file it away, and move on.

My husband says the same thing. I keep thinking that at some point, people will understand what I'm trying to say. JD says there are people who will *try* to understand, and those that just don't *want* to, and it won't matter how many times I talk until I'm blue in the face, the result will be the same.

This again is another reason why there will always be an us/them attitude, and hits home yet *again* what we were told at the Academy--people will be against you for no other reason than the uniform and the badge. And they will be against the family as well, for that reason. It won't matter how many lives you've saved (I can't count on both hands the lives JD just himself has saved in our small town, and I can't count the sleepless nights he's had rehashing those times, b/c that's what you do, you go over and over things, the look on his face when he's said to me "I didn't think I could get them out of the house. What if I hadn't gotten them out? What if they would've died? How would I live with myself?" ) And those times don't matter, to the masses. They want 100% perfect Holy-Jesus cops that do everything 100% right 100% of the time and nothing bad ever happens. 500 lives saved isn't good enough if 1 dies. Never mind the fact that that one dying will haunt the officer forever, who cares, right?

The moral breakdown of society will keep on happening, officers will keep on doing their job, and keep on fighting the never ending battle against that breakdown, trying to aim for the betterment of society, when society is doing all it can to push back.

Thank you and your husband for what you do, and for being a part of the family that understands.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1418164028|3798508 said:
My husband says the same thing. I keep thinking that at some point, people will understand what I'm trying to say. JD says there are people who will *try* to understand, and those that just don't *want* to, and it won't matter how many times I talk until I'm blue in the face, the result will be the same.

This again is another reason why there will always be an us/them attitude, and hits home yet *again* what we were told at the Academy--people will be against you for no other reason than the uniform and the badge. And they will be against the family as well, for that reason. It won't matter how many lives you've saved (I can't count on both hands the lives JD just himself has saved in our small town, and I can't count the sleepless nights he's had rehashing those times, b/c that's what you do, you go over and over things, the look on his face when he's said to me "I didn't think I could get them out of the house. What if I hadn't gotten them out? What if they would've died? How would I live with myself?" ) And those times don't matter, to the masses. They want 100% perfect Holy-Jesus cops that do everything 100% right 100% of the time and nothing bad ever happens. 500 lives saved isn't good enough if 1 dies. Never mind the fact that that one dying will haunt the officer forever, who cares, right?

The moral breakdown of society will keep on happening, officers will keep on doing their job, and keep on fighting the never ending battle against that breakdown, trying to aim for the betterment of society, when society is doing all it can to push back.

Thank you and your husband for what you do, and for being a part of the family that understands.
I asked you to explain your position, you refused. So you don't seem to want other people to understand.

You are living in a them vs us world, as I just stated, I asked for clairification.

I don't disagree with the rest of your post, in fact if you read my original post I said that I have always thought police officers were kind and helpful, until my own terrible experience, and tried to explain how I think attitudes have changed. What I said obviously upset you, and for that I do apologize. However I think the article you posted was also offensive. I explained why.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1418164028|3798508 said:
They want 100% perfect Holy-Jesus cops that do everything 100% right 100% of the time and nothing bad ever happens. 500 lives saved isn't good enough if 1 dies. Never mind the fact that that one dying will haunt the officer forever, who cares, right?

It's not about one dying, it's about one being killed. There's a difference. And there's a difference in the way people feel about the famous cases, where the officer even after the fact seemed to give no care to the killing, where they let a man lay dying on the pavement without doing anything, versus something like the cop who shot the guy in the seatbelt stop, who immediately got him medical attention, who is remorseful for what he did even though in the end no one died. We don't vilify that guy. You know why? Because we understand that policing is a hard job. We know that. But there is protecting yourself and then there is being a thug, and people don't like it when their policemen are thugs.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
To answer the original question, no, I don't think that police training causes violence. I think that generally speaking, most cops are doing the best they can - there are always exceptions to that, just as there is with everything else in their world.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results