shape
carat
color
clarity

What's the meaning of your PS user name?

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Indulge me, I'm bored on my lunch break! :)

Many PSers have very interesting and intriguing user names. I'd love to hear some stories of what their user name stands for and how they chose it. (I know this has been done before here but not in a while, if my Google search is accurate) :))

I'll get the ball rolling with mine:

mochiko42 - "mochiko" is Japanese, as I studied Japanese in college and am a huge fan of Japan and try to travel there at least once a year. mochi is a popular type of rice cake that I like, while "ko" means girl/female (with different kanji characters, "mochiko" can also mean rice flour). 42 is a special number to me for personal reasons (it was my home address number) and for literary reasons (Douglas Adams, anyone? :cheeky:)

OK, now your turn!! :appl: :appl:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My initials + a number that means "all the way to prosperity" in Cantonese.

DK :))

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
Great idea for a thread!

Rena7

Shiny_Rock
Mine is a nickname for my daughter and the age she was when I started using the name.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine refers to my MINI Cooper, which is painted in a dark red/maroon color that manufacturer dubbed "velvet red." I carried it over from a car forum I participated in when I first got my MINI.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's after the Gipsy Kings' great song Bamboleo. I thought they were saying "Jambalaya". Bit deaf. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mifnMC_Kn1Q

The song goes "bamboleo, bambolayA" so that's where I got confused. The second one sounds more like Jambalaya.

But then, for years I thought that the song "Cry Me A River" was called "Crimea River." I so have aural dyslexia! I never really listened to the song, I'd just heard it referenced, so I just assumed it was about a river in the Crimea.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Mine is self explanatory I guess....my son's name + mom. He was my only baby at the time I joined PS 10 years ago, but I have a daughter now too, so she wants me to change my screen name :tongue:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The internet distracts me from whatever other stuff I should be doing.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya|1418147151|3798314 said:
But then, for years I thought that the song "Cry Me A River" was called "Crimea River." I so have aural dyslexia! I never really listened to the song, I'd just heard it referenced, so I just assumed it was about a river in the Crimea.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BEST EVER

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1418146188|3798298 said:
Mine refers to my MINI Cooper, which is painted in a dark red/maroon color that manufacturer dubbed "velvet red." I carried it over from a car forum I participated in when I first got my MINI.

:wavey: at another MINI Cooper owner.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I play the flute (in the key of C as opposed to an Alto flute in the key of G).

sm_from_audience_0.jpg

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wink is a nickname for Winfield.

My father was a Wink, I am a Wink and my son is Wink III or Winkie three sticks as his maternal grandfather called him.

Wink

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mine is simple I am a diamond ring lover, pricescope shortened it.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Just a nickname. I like punk rock and have never really fit in with the "in crowd".

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine is the acronym for my alma mater (Samford University's *McWhorter School of Pharmacy*) as well as my old sign-in to check for exam scores there. Although I graduated in 2003, msop03 was already taken, so... yep, it's really that lame. :shifty: :oops: :lol:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1418116603|3798130 said:

I knew that... :praise: I should change mine to DF 128.. :wink2:

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1418177252|3798616 said:
dk168|1418116603|3798130 said:

I knew that... :praise: I should change mine to DF 128.. :wink2:

Hahah, guys, if that's the case, I definitely need to change my name ASAP since 42 is terrible in Chinese... ( I grew up in a non-traditional family, we are very happy living on the 24/F or 42/F, or house #42, etc..) There is a luxury high rise in town which cuts out ALL the floors like 4/F, 13/F, 14/F, 40 thru 49/F, etc. So the top floor is called the "68th" floor (DK, you would like this!!) but in fact the building is only 46 stories... lol..

how does mochiko888 sound? :naughty: :naughty:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ugh mine is my name i like strmrdr much much better.
I once on another board changed my named to banned and sat back to watch the fireworks.
It was not a good idea.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
April Baby for my birthday.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine is the most boring reason...it is my nickname and the name most of my family and friends use for me. Big surprise lol.

My dh signed me up for PS when I was looking at yet another reset for my ER and he found PS through a google search while trying to help me with ideas. So knowing I was internet challenged he signed me up here (using my nickname) to find more ideas to help with my reset search. Now if I was to start all over again and find you guys I would come up with something more unique than my name lol but I don't want to change it now as that is how PSers know me.

Ironically my dh never uses my name but instead calls me booby or sweetheart or similar sickeningly cute nicknames. Fortunately though he didn't use one of those when signing me up here hahaha. That would have been embarrassing. :oops: :cheeky:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found PS while researching online vendors for engagement rings. Wanted to know who was good and also learn about diamonds. Stumbled across the Ladies in Waiting section and jumped right on in. When it wanted a user name, I couldn't use the one I usually do (includes my full last name) and had to come up with something.

Since I'd been waiting some years already for a proposal and had put up with a lot of drama in the getting there, TooPatient seemed to be a good fit.

(Ended up getting married just over a year ago..... after 9 1/2 years together)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Obvious and a bit boring. My kids' initials and mom. :)

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! I've been lurking for a couple of years, finally joined PS and, only recently, have started to actually post. I come here (a lot!) to admire the beautiful rings and learn about diamonds.

LLJ'smom, your user name is not 'boring'. Its sweet. :clap:

My user name is the month of my birth and I'm a 'Fire' sign in Chinese astrology.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya|1418147151|3798314 said:
It's after the Gipsy Kings' great song Bamboleo. I thought they were saying "Jambalaya". Bit deaf. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mifnMC_Kn1Q

The song goes "bamboleo, bambolayA" so that's where I got confused. The second one sounds more like Jambalaya.

Crimea River.. someone should write a song about that, in the vein of Blue Danube? :naughty:

Just saw this article about mondegreen (misheard lyrics) pop up in my newsfeed, thought I'd share:

http://www.newyorker.com/science/maria-konnikova/science-misheard-lyrics-mondegreens

"You’re much more likely to mishear “Cry Me a River” as “Crimean River” if you’ve recently been discussing the situation in Ukraine.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Logan is my husband's last name and when I was at the Natural History Museum here in DC looking at their gem exhibits, I came across the Logan Sapphire (pic in my avatar). I like to pretend it's mine that I loaned to the Smithsonian :bigsmile:

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
hhmm--I'm almost embarrassed to admit it. My name is the name of a character in a 40s trash novel--"Forever Amber" --the story of a English country girl who sleeps her way thru Restoration London court to become a duchess. I found the book when I was babysitting in high school and it was so very trashy I absolutely loved it. I don't think I did a lick of homework for the week and a half it took me to read it {and I'm a little ashamed to admit it}. The first, but sadly, not only trash novel I've read and loved.

It was made into a terrible {not good/terrible, just terrible} movie starring Linda Darnell. The only saving grace was George Sanders as Charles II, but even he couldn't save that turkey.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a great topic--I've enjoyed reading how/where everyone come up with their nicknames. :) Mine is my first name & last initial, easy peasy!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As per my avatar mine is self explanatory :)

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amber St. Clare|1418258654|3799162 said:
hhmm--I'm almost embarrassed to admit it. My name is the name of a character in a 40s trash novel--"Forever Amber" --the story of a English country girl who sleeps her way thru Restoration London court to become a duchess. I found the book when I was babysitting in high school and it was so very trashy I absolutely loved it. I don't think I did a lick of homework for the week and a half it took me to read it {and I'm a little ashamed to admit it}. The first, but sadly, not only trash novel I've read and loved.

It was made into a terrible {not good/terrible, just terrible} movie starring Linda Darnell. The only saving grace was George Sanders as Charles II, but even he couldn't save that turkey.

That book has really good reviews on Amazon. I just bought it. lol.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is always an interesting thread, and I'm glad the question is posed every so often because I get to "know" new members and even some "old" members I might have missed in previous threads like this.

When I joined PS in 2005, my father had already been battling colon cancer for over 2 years. He was on my mind a lot and when I was trying to come up with a user name I wouldn't forget, I was thinking about how he had this fascination with and love for Monarch butterflies and their incredible life cycle. He used to tell me all about their migration and he was just kind of obsessed with their story and he and I talked about it a lot, and there were several moments/memories we shared actually witnessing the migration of the Monarchs in the South and in the Midwest. When he was diagnosed with cancer the first time, he was 64, so Monarch64 became my moniker here.

My father is still living, 11 years after his initial diagnoses, many surgeries and treatments and another bout of lung cancer (which he survived) later. I am now a moderate proponent (moderate because lack of time) of keeping the Monarch butterfly population going and growing. My dad taught my brother and me so much about nature and agriculture when we were growing up and beyond. He is a naturalist, conservationist, and has tried to instill in us both how important those things are to humans. Love my dad. He has his flaws, but I am fortunate that he has been a constant in my life and has always tried his best in his own ways to love me and educate me.

ETA: Here is the Wiki for Monarch butterflies if anyone is interested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monarch_butterfly

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results