shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about Edison Pearls

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
On the Black Friday sale I purchased this drop shaped Edison pendant. I just received it and the rainbow colors are stunning, but there isn't much lustre. I'm used to seeing my reflection in most of the pearls I've been buying recently. Now, I've never purchased an Edison before or seen one in person- so is the luster different for this type of pearl? Photo from PP's site. I will try to get some actual photos of the pendant later today once I get some better lighting. Also wanted to add the pendant finding is quite pretty- the diamonds really sparkle in this piece and the silver is supposed to be tarnish resistant so if it really doesn't tarnish it's a good alternative to keep the price down a bit from gold.

4597_1_0.jpg

kylier

Shiny_Rock
Edisons are freshwater, so I would think they can kind of have the same range of luster as most freshwaters. I have a special untreated dark purple edison that Kevin picked up at a show. It has luster to almost rival my tahitians and I can see my reflection. It's basically metallic. It's on his blog from the spring Hong Kong show and is in his hand with a gold and a white pearl. You can see some really high quality Edisons in that post. I think with the pearl you have, it was probably selected for the amazingly rare color, even if the luster was softer. Can't wait to see pics of that gorgeous pearl.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Wear it a bit, and let it pick up some of the oils from your skin. Sounds nutty, but I find it helps a pearl come to life.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
There is a range of luster on freshwater pearls, AA, AAA or freshadama is one type, fireball, souffle are sometimes more metallic. Then there is metallic which is just metallic. The Edison's are the earrings and their luster is more satiny rather than metallic.

img_6215.jpg

xmass-2013-pearls.jpg

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
4Ranch Girl|1418155053|3798412 said:
There is a range of luster on freshwater pearls, AA, AAA or freshadama is one type, fireball, souffle are sometimes more metallic. Then there is metallic which is just metallic. The Edison's are the earrings and their luster is more satiny rather than metallic.

Awww. that's the perfect adjective for my drop- "satiny". Thank you 4Ranch Girl!!!! So that is normal for an Edison pearl?

I tried taking some photos this afternoon, but the weather is sooooo dreary today and my lighting is less than optimal, but here are a few. the softer color is more what I see IRL and I can't quite pick up all the overtones. I will try again another day when I have better lighting.

l1040911.jpeg

l1040903.jpeg

l1040888.jpeg

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
Most of my Edisons are satiny but the crazy color metallics are amazing kaleidoscopes!!!

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
4RanchGirl - Thanks for posting this again! I think it's so feminine & alluring!!!

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
Here is my edison strand, which has more satiny luster than my tahitian rope and tin cup. img_1116.jpg

img_6243.jpg

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
Can I come roll around in your jewelry box? That necklace and earring set are stunning!

mynattk

Shiny_Rock
Pirard, do you have more pictures of your Edison necklace posted elsewhere? I'd love to see it.

My Edison pendant has a softer luster than many of my other pearls, but it has an intense and stunning deep purple color. I love it for that reason. The surface of the pearl is almost a fine hammered texture. I think that dulls the reflection somewhat.

13_3.jpg
This is actually shinier than it ever looks on my neck.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Pirard|1418175169|3798599 said:
Can I come roll around in your jewelry box? That necklace and earring set are stunning!
Any time Pirard, any time :D come out next summer and you will definitely be in pearl heaven.

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
mynattk, here ya go! img_0683.jpg

img_6251.jpg

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
pinkjewel, The color on your drop is like cotton candy confection at it's best. :love: :love: I love your pearl.

I have recently accepted the fact that not all pearls will be lipgloss lacquered mirrors. I recently purchased of a pair of round tahitian studs from PP that are gorgeous. They are AAA rounds blemish free on the surface, high luster but softer. I can see my reflection. In comparison, they are just a softer luster than my lacquered tahitian drop strands. I love them.

mynattk

Shiny_Rock
Pinkjewel - I think your pendant looks like a sunrise. Is it growing on you even more now?

Ah, Pirard, that necklace is so beautiful <3 I want one!

kylier

Shiny_Rock
mynattk|1418175695|3798604 said:
Pirard, do you have more pictures of your Edison necklace posted elsewhere? I'd love to see it.

My Edison pendant has a softer luster than many of my other pearls, but it has an intense and stunning deep purple color. I love it for that reason. The surface of the pearl is almost a fine hammered texture. I think that dulls the reflection somewhat.

13_3.jpg

Gorgeous! Is this one of those really cool, giant, color treated Edison pearls that Pearl Paradise had? I wanted one and they were all gone. Such giants!

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
kylier|1418178960|3798632 said:
mynattk|1418175695|3798604 said:

13_3.jpg

Gorgeous! Is this one of those really cool, giant, color treated Edison pearls that Pearl Paradise had? I wanted one and they were all gone. Such giants!

I believe that the PP edisons are not color treated...I know my strand are all natural colors (even the whites are not bleached).

mynattk

Shiny_Rock
edison_a.jpg
ETA: Pearl Paradise vendor photo

By the time I got to the sale, the absolute giants were sold. I picked "A" because it was the smoothest and shiniest. A few of the other ladies on here got some real whoppers! I'm almost positive it's not dyed, but it's been a long time. I'd have to go look at my papers again?

I am very happy with my "little" 13.4mm, though. It is perfect for me.

kylier

Shiny_Rock
The dark ones are PP sold are, not the lighter, other ones. I emailed Jeremy specifically to ask about the dark purpley blue ones people had shown on here, back when i was hunting dark purple edisons. I don't know if they are dyed or they did what they do to make black freshwaters black. Some kind of treatment. The colors would make sense.

kylier

Shiny_Rock
mynattk|1418182287|3798670 said:
edison_a.jpg
ETA: Pearl Paradise vendor photo

By the time I got to the sale, the absolute giants were sold. I picked "A" because it was the smoothest and shiniest. A few of the other ladies on here got some real whoppers! I'm almost positive it's not dyed, but it's been a long time. I'd have to go look at my papers again?

I am very happy with my "little" 13.4mm, though. It is perfect for me.

These are all unbearably gorgeous! I love the one you got. These are the ones I emailed about. I still want one!

Sorry for derailing thread though. Those black Edisons kill me.

To the OP: that beautiful intense pink is amazing. And I think the luster looks good compared to other Edisons in this thread!

mynattk

Shiny_Rock
I suppose it's possible, kylier. They were described as "bead-nucleated black freshwater pearls".

Back to the main topic, though, I think the vendor photo shows to some extent the wrinkly skin texture of the Edisons that were on sale. pinkjewel, does your pendant have a similar texture? That might explain the satiny glow. Either way, it is a lovely pendant. I hope you are enjoying it!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kylier|1418134196|3798214 said:
Edisons are freshwater, so I would think they can kind of have the same range of luster as most freshwaters. I have a special untreated dark purple edison that Kevin picked up at a show. It has luster to almost rival my tahitians and I can see my reflection. It's basically metallic. It's on his blog from the spring Hong Kong show and is in his hand with a gold and a white pearl. You can see some really high quality Edisons in that post. I think with the pearl you have, it was probably selected for the amazingly rare color, even if the luster was softer. Can't wait to see pics of that gorgeous pearl.

Is this the POJ picture you're referring to? If so, the copper one belongs to me and has lovely luster. All three seem to have it :)) I'll see if I can find a pic of my own.

poj3edisons.jpg

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Other Edisons I forgot I have two of the big blue/purple ones and a copperish one :naughty: the three in the center grouping are mine. Only one beauty shot. Sorry

_25060.jpg

_25061.jpg

_25062.jpg

kylier

Shiny_Rock
kylier|1418134196|3798214 said:

Is this the POJ picture you're referring to? If so, the copper one belongs to me and has lovely luster. All three seem to have it :)) I'll see if I can find a pic of my own.[/quote]

Yup I'm the customer Kevin was talking about. The purple and white came to me, and I passed the white on. Im glad you ended up with the copper! its gorgeous! Here's a pic of the purple. Not the best (the color is more vibrant and I have some lightbox shots, but this shows the luster). Ha ha I have some photos with too MUCH luster, as in, you can see way too much of my body and face and there is no anonymity then. Thought I should post a luster pic for OP after derailing though.

pg8_0.jpg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
pinkjewel|1418133360|3798205 said:
On the Black Friday sale I purchased this drop shaped Edison pendant. I just received it and the rainbow colors are stunning, but there isn't much lustre. I'm used to seeing my reflection in most of the pearls I've been buying recently. Now, I've never purchased an Edison before or seen one in person- so is the luster different for this type of pearl? Photo from PP's site. I will try to get some actual photos of the pendant later today once I get some better lighting. Also wanted to add the pendant finding is quite pretty- the diamonds really sparkle in this piece and the silver is supposed to be tarnish resistant so if it really doesn't tarnish it's a good alternative to keep the price down a bit from gold.

Do you like the pendant?

kylier

Shiny_Rock
icy_jade|1418223210|3798795 said:
pinkjewel|1418133360|3798205 said:

Do you like the pendant?

This. Are you liking it? The bail is so gorgeous and sparkly and the pearl is a rare color, but if it doesn't sing to you, that's why PP has amazon customer service.
I would say the luster has that satiny glow almost like south seas. One of my favorite types of luster.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
The Edisons seem to come in different textures and glossyness. The pink pendant has a very glossy surface which does not show up in the photo as in real life.

dscf9446.jpg

dscf0188.jpg

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
So many pretty pearls! Thanks for sharing, ladies.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pinkjewel, I was just thinking how much I think I like your pearl IRL than in the glamour shots. To me it looks perfectly like a ripe pear, with the bale as the stem.

I'm hoping that it is growing on you...but if not, it's why the return policy is so generous.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Oh wow- I've been having trouble getting on the PS site, so I'm excited to see so many beautiful Edison pearls!!!!! It looks like they do vary as far as the luster is concerned. In answer to some of the questions about mine- it is not one of the wrinkly type of pearls. I'd really call it more satiny like a SS pearl. The color is most like the first photo- soft and ,yes, very much like a sunrise before it gets intense. It's a very pretty pendant!! It wasn't a matter of not liking it, I was really just curious about the luster on Edison pearls.

If anyone else wants to post their Edisons, please feel free. It gives a great reference for colors and luster!!!!

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
NacreLover|1418229112|3798890 said:
The Edisons seem to come in different textures and glossyness. The pink pendant has a very glossy surface which does not show up in the photo as in real life.
Just realized that the shot of three includes a pendant and two earrings! Those are fabulous!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results